Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I had a leak from the screw in end of one of the red carbonation caps on one of mine.  I even tried tightening with a spanner - no good.  Luckily, I had a couple of the red carbonation caps floating around.  Swapped the leaking one out and all was fine.

Check them all with soapy water, if you have not already checked.  Maintaining pressure does not mean the connections are not leaking, until the tank is empty, when the gauges will drop.

Shamus, the plastic tapping head unit doesn't fill me with confidence that it would seal well. Plastic on plastic connections.....hmmmmm. Do you reckon some plumber's thread sealing tape is in order to sure it up?

Kegged my Coopers Australian IPA (CIPA) All Grain last night.

Notice the hazier lower third of the FV.  This was after three days cold crashing.  Not sure if this haze is yeast or wheat.

Beer in sample tube tasted very bitter, as @iBooz2 had warned about my 64g of Pride of Ringwood in a 60 minute boil.  I could also smell and taste a grassiness in the sample.  I commando dry hopped for 24-36 hours at 20°C and then started the cold crash. 

I hope this carbs up okay.

IMG_2879.JPG.cd33f391798690615c88bc4624d3f882.JPG

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Shamus, the plastic tapping head unit doesn't fill me with confidence that it would seal well. Plastic on plastic connections.....hmmmmm. Do you reckon some plumber's thread sealing tape is in order to sure it up?

Generally these should seal as well as a softdrink bottle.  They are like a slightly larger diameter PET bottle cap and we re-use those over and over.

I heard somewhere that plumbers tape can deteriorate the threads quicker due to the wearing action caused by the friction between the tape and the plastic surfaces.  So might seal better, but probably will not last as long.  However, at $8 per PET keg and $15 for the tapping head, we are not expecting the longevity of stainless steel.  I think these are pretty good value and an easy way to dip your toe into the world of kegging.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

I'm chuffed mate I got the job done -but only with the greatest help from a couple of incredibly generous brewers from the forum. Big shout out to Ozzie mate,  Guru Shamus O' Sean, and to Red Devil as well. I would never have got this done without the Oz Devil's incredible generosity....

Love ya.

Like @ozdevil, I was chuffed to help out where I could.  I could feel Mick's excitement and nervous apprehension about making the  jump to kegging.  Due to work and other life issues, I could only help out first thing in the morning and at the end of the day.  Having the other keggers to chip in during the day was no doubt a life-saver.

I can't wait for Mick's first pour.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Coopers Australian IPA (CIPA) All Grain last night.

Notice the hazier lower third of the FV.  This was after three days cold crashing.  Not sure if this haze is yeast or wheat.

Beer in sample tube tasted very bitter, as @iBooz2 had warned about my 64g of Pride of Ringwood in a 60 minute boil.  I could also smell and taste a grassiness in the sample.  I commando dry hopped for 24-36 hours at 20°C and then started the cold crash. 

I hope this carbs up okay.

IMG_2879.JPG.cd33f391798690615c88bc4624d3f882.JPG

now Shamus ,  you asked me if that would work the other day with the flow stopper in place.

how did it go?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Generally these should seal as well as a softdrink bottle.  They are like a slightly larger diameter PET bottle cap and we re-use those over and over.

I heard somewhere that plumbers tape can deteriorate the threads quicker due to the wearing action caused by the friction between the tape and the plastic surfaces.  So might seal better, but probably will not last as long.  However, at $8 per PET keg and $15 for the tapping head, we are not expecting the longevity of stainless steel.  I think these are pretty good value and an easy way to dip your toe into the world of kegging.

In that case I'll leave the tape out.

Mariska hargitay. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Like @ozdevil, I was chuffed to help out where I could.  I could feel Mick's excitement and nervous apprehension about making the  jump to kegging.  Due to work and other life issues, I could only help out first thing in the morning and at the end of the day.  Having the other keggers to chip in during the day was no doubt a life-saver.

I can't wait for Mick's first pour.

mate   yes was there from the start i even tracked down the kegerator for him at a good price and got extras chucked in 

i reckon between me mick we must have done 130 private messages to this point but worth seeing  it all done and now with kegs on the gas

its what makes me comeback here on a daily basis is the amout of good people wanting to help a fellow brewer

Shamus  i reckon we should rock up to @Mickep and have the 1st 3 pours  lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just now, ozdevil said:

now Shamus ,  you asked me if that would work the other day with the flow stopper in place.

how did it go?

I am embarrassed to say that I piked out.  I filled the keg to 18.5 L and then stopped.  It was going to be a bit of a late night, with an early start today.  So I thought, one less thing to clean will cut down the time.

Certainly, the closed transfer worked fine with the Flow Stopper, I just did not fill the keg to its conclusion.

I should probably do a trial with water, so there is no mess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I am embarrassed to say that I piked out.  I filled the keg to 18.5 L and then stopped.  It was going to be a bit of a late night, with an early start today.  So I thought, one less thing to clean will cut down the time.

Certainly, the closed transfer worked fine with the Flow Stopper, I just did not fill the keg to its conclusion.

I should probably do a trial with water, so there is no mess.

i say you have given me the response i was expecting     that the closed transfer would work

the flow stopper even if it went past  the flow stopper (its not a perfect  contraption) all it will do is go back into fermenter  which is no issue  as your keg has been filled.

basicly with the flow stopper it becomes a 1 way valve . and just gives you the full level of the keg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

the flow stopper even if it went past  the flow stopper (its not a perfect  contraption) all it will do is go back into fermenter  which is no issue  as your keg has been filled.

That's what I thought would happen.  However, I was doing a closed transfer a month ago and I overfilled the keg.  What happened with the beer in the return gas tube going back to the fermenter? The level stopped at the same level as the beer in the fermenter.  When I thought about it for a second, it was obvious that is what would happen.

If the transfer was under pressure and not closed, beer would spurt out of the gas end.  But with the closed transfer working because of the syphon effect, the pressure in each vessel is equal, so the transfer stops when the liquid levels match.

• Like 3

IP Brewing has completed the three day intensive - AG Mill and Brew - Keg a completed FV - and then Backfill with the Fresh Wort... last one today was the Helles see below.

As per the other day - the last very hot water rinse is purged out of the keg with CO2 - the empty keg burped - then lid removed immediately before filling and filled from the bottom... and although not shown here - I also pushed a bit of CO2 into the filling keg for good measure to generate as much of an anoxic environment without a closed transfer (CO2 being heavier than air... hence all the Confined Spaces Safe Work Procedures in Industry hey @Red devil 44 Reddler 😆)... and then once lid is back on the keg is burped numerously at reasonably high pressure. 

image.thumb.png.3d768b8ff65bc5ba55275da48497cf37.png

So now we have three kegs being gassed up in the Chilly-Bin ; )

image.thumb.png.fe9c026c806ea1d0f8a3f7c9203fdc2f.png

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

IP Brewing has completed the three day intensive - AG Mill and Brew - Keg a completed FV - and then Backfill with the Fresh Wort... last one today was the Helles see below.

Looking good mate, your beer stocks must be mounting at The Mountain Brewery 🤔 sorta rhymes doesn't it.

When you are ready to taste some of your fine beverages you will be spoilt for choice. Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

As per the other day - the last very hot water rinse is purged out of the keg with CO2 - the empty keg burped - then lid removed immediately before filling and filled from the bottom... and although not shown here - I also pushed a bit of CO2 into the filling keg for good measure to generate as much of an anoxic environment without a closed transfer (CO2 being heavier than air... hence all the Confined Spaces Safe Work Procedures in Industry hey @Red devil 44 Reddler 😆)... and then once lid is back on the keg is burped numerously at reasonably high pressure. 

image.thumb.png.3d768b8ff65bc5ba55275da48497cf37.png

So now we have three kegs being gassed up in the Chilly-Bin ; )

image.thumb.png.fe9c026c806ea1d0f8a3f7c9203fdc2f.png

Nice job ol mate. You never fail to deliver. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks impressive @Pale Man Looking at all of these lovely kegs is making me envious, but have a bit of work to do before I start that.

Dont be envious ol fella. Its really too easy. The outlay is the biggest pain in the bum. But once your set up its easy street. Actually too easy.

My advice to you is get your all grain up and running and keep bottling. Then when you're confident have a think about kegging.

You dont want to over load your brain cells. Unless you want to dive in the deep end. I took it one step at a time

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Dont be envious ol fella. Its really too easy. The outlay is the biggest pain in the bum. But once your set up its easy street. Actually too easy.

My advice to you is get your all grain up and running and keep bottling. Then when you're confident have a think about kegging.

You dont want to over load your brain cells. Unless you want to dive in the deep end. I took it one step at a time

Yes I totally agree, I have to do it that way, slowly work my way up the ladder - I think it's meant to be down the hole ! 🐇

I will wait until I have mastered AG & then take it from there. Cheers.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I totally agree, I have to do it that way, slowly work my way up the ladder - I think it's meant to be down the hole ! 🐇

Do you know its not a race or you dont have to impress anyone bar yourself. I smacked my lips looking at your extract beers. Always looking impressive and tasty.

But i feel the love you put into them, you deserve to have that go at improving your love. If anyone can improve on a good thing you can. I'm putting money on that a year down the track you'll be handing out valuable lessons on this forum.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Speaking All Grain, Phil, (I was thinking this as I cracked my grains in my grain mill tonight for tomorrow's brew day) - Did you order your two grain packs cracked?  If not you may have to take them to a LHBS and see if they will do it for you.  You cannot make beer with whole grains.  I just had this fear of you getting everything else right with your first brew day and then wondering why you got an OG of 1.003

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Speaking All Grain, Phil, (I was thinking this as I cracked my grains in my grain mill tonight for tomorrow's brew day) - Did you order your two grain packs cracked?  If not you may have to take them to a LHBS and see if they will do it for you.  You cannot make beer with whole grains.  I just had this fear of you getting everything else right with your first brew day and then wondering why you got an OG of 1.003

Thank you @Shamus O'Sean for providing a great example of how we all look after each other here! I am pretty sure that @Classic Brewing Co has milled grain to add to his grist, I am sure that he has bought a AG kit from someone for his 1st AG brew day. I am sure that Phil will let us know.

I do actually mean it about the bit that we all look after each other, it is what keeps me on this forum!

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes Mate, they are all done, just cracked in the normal way, not too fine, I appreciate your concern, I have done grain additions in the past, not to this extent of course so it is nice of you to ask, Cheers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Do you know its not a race or you dont have to impress anyone bar yourself. I smacked my lips looking at your extract beers. Always looking impressive and tasty.

But i feel the love you put into them, you deserve to have that go at improving your love. If anyone can improve on a good thing you can. I'm putting money on that a year down the track you'll be handing out valuable lessons on this forum.

Thank you for the kind words @Pale Man I appreciate it, I have come to the stage where extract was just too easy, most of the time I didn't bother to take any readings just bottle after about 14 days, it always seemed to clear up nicely even brewing at ambient temperatures without any CC. I do not recommend or encourage this process to anyone, it was like I just knew it was going to be OK.

I have surprised myself over the last couple of years & have enjoyed countless home brews with a large variety of recipes & I feel it is time to set new challenges hence my decision to embark on AG brewing. Without the support & invaluable help on this forum it would have not been possible. I say bring it on, I am ready.

Cheers to all.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes Mate, they are all done, just cracked in the normal way, not too fine, I appreciate your concern, I have done grain additions in the past, not to this extent of course so it is nice of you to ask, Cheers.

That is great to hear.  Grain additions are not too difficult.  Cracking 300g of Light Crystal Malt in a zip-lock bag with a rolling pin is pretty straight forward.  I would not want to have to crack 4kg this way. 😁

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yes I did a lot of research before ordering the new equipment & I was aware of the grain milling, I have done a few additions over the years & can see the benefits. I am particularly enjoying my new Bavarian Wheat Beer & my neighbour tried one tonight & loved it so that has encouraged me to want to take this to the next level. Cheers.

• Like 5