Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

mate there must be alot money in S.A    Kegland have had there work cut out from both you and classic putting in orders

Ozzie, I just started part time work back in December. This purchase might send me back to full time I reckon. 😮😆

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

Small bottle doesn't last long, you'll need a big one too for home style swap n go

Thanks, DG, I was aware of that. Read it on here a few times. The only reason I've gone small is because I should be able to fit it inside my bar fridge along with the smaller kegs. Means no drilling into the fridge. I'll probably have to get a second one eventually.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

and c02 always seems to runs out at the worst possible time, usually right before a weekend or public holiday *sigh*

A couple of good mates of mine run Hines Hardware at Magill. Not far from my place and open 7 days. I've seen CO2 tanks in their shop. They should be able to see me right. 🙂 
Hines Hardware for all your hardware needs. 😄 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

A couple of good mates of mine run Hines Hardware at Magill. Not far from my place and open 7 days. I've seen CO2 tanks in their shop. They should be able to see me right. 🙂 
Hines Hardware for all your hardware needs. 😄 

Hey Muzzy I lived in Magill back in the 70's & I knew the family at the time, Des Hines was the boss but I am sure he wouldn't be with us now.

They always had a great range of everything, I remember selling them Dart supplies as well as using there store.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Muzzy I lived in Magill back in the 70's & I knew the family at the time, Des Hines was the boss but I am sure he wouldn't be with us now.

They always had a great range of everything, I remember selling them Dart supplies as well as using there store.

That's right, Phil. Des sold the business to Chook & Guido in the late 80s. He stayed on as a part time employee for quite a few years. Hell of a nice fella. I haven't heard of him in a long time so maybe he has passed on.
They have everything in that store. If you need any Danso dance floor polish they are place to go. 😄 

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks, DG, I was aware of that. Read it on here a few times. The only reason I've gone small is because I should be able to fit it inside my bar fridge along with the smaller kegs. Means no drilling into the fridge. I'll probably have to get a second one eventually.

I started off with two 2.6kg bottles. One for the kegs, the other as a spare. We do not want to run out of gas 🙂 The first one lasted about 6 kegs including fast carbing them. So I got a 6.5kg bottle and it lasts a lot longer. I use one of the small ones as a spare and the other for several other things like pushing out sodium percarb through the dip tube or push sanitiser into the next keg and things like that. And I do fast carbing with it too, when there is no room in the Kegerator. Carb a keg up over night before the next FV goes into the fridge 🙂 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

I started off with two 2.6kg bottles. One for the kegs, the other as a spare. We do not want to run out of gas 🙂 The first one lasted about 6 kegs including fast carbing them. So I got a 6.5kg bottle and it lasts a lot longer. I use one of the small ones as a spare and the other for several other things like pushing out sodium percarb through the dip tube or push sanitiser into the next keg and things like that. And I do fast carbing with it too, when there is no room in the Kegerator. Carb a keg up over night before the next FV goes into the fridge 🙂 

Now I'm wishing I ordered a 6kg one as well, so it all came together. Never mind. I can source one locally I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@disgruntled @Aussiekraut @Stickers
I assume these kegs being only 8 litres would take less gas to carbonate. Yes/no?

i would say less time as less space and less liquid to absorb the c02

you would still look at 3-4 days as set anf forget  depending  on how much carbonation you want

i would carb your kegs with 2°c @12 psi  for 3 days min  pour one to see the carb level

i wouldnt do the fast carb with these

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, MUZZY said:

It'll be my first foray into kegs so I won't have anything to compare them to. They better be good because I ordered 12 of the buggers.  😄 

lol huge mistake if they are no good but i think they will be good 

i'm  looking forward to how they will carb up and hold carb etc    
i will be watching reviews  from  youtube on these

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

lol huge mistake if they are no good but i think they will be good 

i'm  looking forward to how they will carb up and hold carb etc    
i will be watching reviews  from  youtube on these

If they're no good it could be a big mistake due to the number of them but cost wise 12 of them was less than the price of one steel keg. Also by buying 12 it took the unit price down from $8 to $7 each.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MUZZY said:

If they're no good it could be a big mistake due to the number of them but cost wise 12 of them was less than the price of one steel keg. Also by buying 12 it took the unit price down from $8 to $7 each.

Muzzy what have we done, dived into the deep end 😬 hope it all works out but it's only money.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Muzzy what have we done, dived into the deep end 😬 hope it all works out but it's only money.

I once spent more than this purchase on a trip to Melbourne to watch Essendon play Geelong and my Bombers didn't kick a goal in the first half. If these kegs fail they'll still be money better spent than that fateful trip.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Now I'm wishing I ordered a 6kg one as well, so it all came together. Never mind. I can source one locally I guess.

You have smaller kegs, so gas will likely last about double as long. Don't worry too much. See how you go and take it from there. Not everything is as black and white as it seems.

• Like 3