Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

17 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

Looks Good.

Just a couple of questions for my interest and education.🍻

What forces the beer into the Keg and does it have to be vented to air to maintain a pressure differential to keep the flow going.

The beer just siphons via gravity from the fermenter into the keg.

• 15psi in the fermenter.
  • 0psi in the keg
  • Connect one end of the beer line to the fermenter
  • Connect one end of the gas line to the keg
  • Connect the other end of the beer line to the keg, and be ready to connect the other end of the gas line to the fermenter, but not straight away.
  • Let the beer run into the keg for about 10-15 seconds.  The pressure difference will keep it running for a while.
  • After about 10 seconds, connect the other end of the gas line to the fermenter
  • You will here the pressure between the fermenter and the keg equalise.
  • The beer will keep siphoning out of the fermenter.
  • Probably takes about 30 minutes to empty.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The beer just siphons via gravity from the fermenter into the keg.

• 15psi in the fermenter.
  • 0psi in the keg
  • Connect one end of the beer line to the fermenter
  • Connect one end of the gas line to the keg
  • Connect the other end of the beer line to the keg, and be ready to connect the other end of the gas line to the fermenter, but not straight away.
  • Let the beer run into the keg for about 10-15 seconds.  The pressure difference will keep it running for a while.
  • After about 10 seconds, connect the other end of the gas line to the fermenter
  • You will here the pressure between the fermenter and the keg equalise.
  • The beer will keep siphoning out of the fermenter.
  • Probably takes about 30 minutes to empty.

Thank you, great explanation.

• Like 1

The dilemma. Oh the humanity! 

I've reached a critical stage in the brewing journey fellow brewers. I've run out of bottles (I've got about 160 PETS in total) and its prompted me to start thinking about what to do next. More bottles or start kegging.

I can't afford to go full throttle here, it'll have to be done in stages re; taps, new fridges (kegerator?) gas etc .

So I'm about to do 6 or so of the Fresh3 AG lagers (FWK) from kegland and I'll need to store the beer in some sort of vessel/s for a few months. What would be the cheapest option for me to do this? A few kegs. Can I do this? Store beer (lager) in the keg? Appreciate any feed back

28 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Is this for real?

are mini kegs that you can run on tiny gas bulbs real? I've seen them but never used one. Is that particular one real? no idea, never come across that website before. My local micro brewery sells 4L ones with the tap setup for closer to 200, don't know if thats what they're actually worth

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hey Mate they look really good, I have seen similar before, I wonder if there is an AUS agent/distributor.

They are also available here.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/333693611878

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mickep said:

I've reached a critical stage in the brewing journey fellow brewers. I've run out of bottles (I've got about 160 PETS in total) and its prompted me to start thinking about what to do next. More bottles or start kegging.

I can't afford to go full throttle here, it'll have to be done in stages re; taps, new fridges (kegerator?) gas etc .

So I'm about to do 6 or so of the Fresh3 AG lagers (FWK) from kegland and I'll need to store the beer in some sort of vessel/s for a few months. What would be the cheapest option for me to do this? A few kegs. Can I do this? Store beer (lager) in the keg? Appreciate any feed back

Have a chat with gash , gavin ellicott he is selling a 2 kegarators cheap

On the homebre network  on Facebook 

Series x  and a series 4

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mickep said:

Fermenter King Junior PET fermenters by Keg King go for $60.  I managed to get a couple of factory seconds at their retail store for $25 each about 8 months ago.  They can pass as kegs.  Maybe grab a picnic tap for serving.  Gas bottle and regulator too.  Line and a few gas and beer disconnects.

You can get secondhand kegs for around $60 or less if you look hard.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mickep said:

Theres also this depending on where you live.

Three Mini Kegs 5L | Australian Craft Brewing (aussiecraftbrewing.com.au)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mickep said:

These look great.

The "beer" dispensed in to the two glasses in the vid need a bit more fizz, in fact they need some fizz.

I have never used one of these but I would suggest you would need a good supply of CO2 cartridges on hand to empty the "keg" let alone keep the carbonation up to an acceptable level. Hence the pressure gauge.

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Fermenter King Junior PET fermenters by Keg King go for $60.  I managed to get a couple of factory seconds at their retail store for $25 each about 8 months ago.  They can pass as kegs.  Maybe grab a picnic tap for serving.  Gas bottle and regulator too.  Line and a few gas and beer disconnects.

You can get secondhand kegs for around $60 or less if you look hard.

Thanks for the info @Shamus O'SeanSOS. Much appreciated.

• Like 1

It's Kegging Time - well almost. Here's a few pics of the new acquisition. Series X kegerator. I'm stoked! And what's more it's all set up and ready to go. Just need a couple of kegs and a bit of gas and I'm laughing.

A huge shout out to Mick @ozdevil Ozzie mate who pretty much set this incredible deal up for me. Can't thank - you enough mate. Cheers.

Got a lager just started today in the FV's so in about 2 weeks from now -  into a keg for the first time. 

273840173_639991313875497_6131067731081423549_n.jpg

273813862_484960829834399_7638835003998658354_n.jpg

273883272_3121928521401698_3988767494902376093_n.jpg

273866467_1573000793083375_4727320825942908730_n.jpg

274035933_657658768793469_6201114138490452850_n.jpg

273806006_5148107138554074_50905133346079436_n.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

It's Kegging Time - well almost. Here's a few pics of the new acquisition. Series X kegerator. I'm stoked! And what's more it's all set up and ready to go. Just need a couple of kegs and a bit of gas and I'm laughing.

You haven't got room for that, send it to me 😂😂😂

But good luck to you mate, awesome.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

A huge shout out to Mick @ozdevil Ozzie mate who pretty much set this incredible deal up for me. Can't thank - you enough mate. Cheers.

Got a lager just started today in the FV's so in about 2 weeks from now -  into a keg for the first time. 

273840173_639991313875497_6131067731081423549_n.jpg

273813862_484960829834399_7638835003998658354_n.jpg

273883272_3121928521401698_3988767494902376093_n.jpg

273866467_1573000793083375_4727320825942908730_n.jpg

274035933_657658768793469_6201114138490452850_n.jpg

273806006_5148107138554074_50905133346079436_n.jpg

Bewdiful 🙂 I see the 4 tap font tower is bigger larger in diameter to the 3 tap. That would make it a lot easier to fit the taps in. I don't have huge hands but I struggled a little getting the lower middle tap in. Once I have a separate "lager fridge", I'll probably upgrade to the 4 tap tower and buy an extra tap.

Goo don you for getting a gas manifold right away as the t-piece setup is a little flimsy and introduces a few extra spots for a possible gas leak and you don't need a one way valve as there is one built in the manifold AFAIK. Looks like you also have marked the gas lines on the manifold. Smart thinking 🙂 I also have markings on the taps and the disconnects. Without, I'd lose track what is what and make a royal mess. 

Welcome to the kegging world. Yet another way of spending a lot of money 🙂 

I'd recommend getting a 6kg gas bottle and a little one. The big one for the Kegerator, the little one as a spare and for things like pushing cleaner and sanitiser through the beer lines and the spear in the kegs. It makes life a lot easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Bewdiful 🙂 I see the 4 tap font tower is bigger larger in diameter to the 3 tap. That would make it a lot easier to fit the taps in. I don't have huge hands but I struggled a little getting the lower middle tap in. Once I have a separate "lager fridge", I'll probably upgrade to the 4 tap tower and buy an extra tap.

Goo don you for getting a gas manifold right away as the t-piece setup is a little flimsy and introduces a few extra spots for a possible gas leak and you don't need a one way valve as there is one built in the manifold AFAIK. Looks like you also have marked the gas lines on the manifold. Smart thinking 🙂 I also have markings on the taps and the disconnects. Without, I'd lose track what is what and make a royal mess. 

Welcome to the kegging world. Yet another way of spending a lot of money 🙂 

I'd recommend getting a 6kg gas bottle and a little one. The big one for the Kegerator, the little one as a spare and for things like pushing cleaner and sanitiser through the beer lines and the spear in the kegs. It makes life a lot easier.

Aussie mate, I can't take credit for the set-up. It actually was sold to me this way. So I think I'm blessed mate. Even the color scheme was already in place. Manifold already there. lines cut to length. I definitely will grab the two gas bottles as you've suggested.

I'm stoked really, it was an incredible deal.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Aussie mate, I can't take credit for the set-up. It actually was sold to me this way. So I think I'm blessed mate. Even the color scheme was already in place. Manifold already there. lines cut to length. I definitely will grab the two gas bottles as you've suggested.

I'm stoked really, it was an incredible deal.

We hate you. 😡

• Haha 2

No Need to Thank me @Mickep

I discovered this at the time you wanted to buy mate 

and you wasnt going to get cheaper then you got

Guys and gals Mick was buying a ready made set up  4 tap kegerator  ready to go all he need was a reg gas and keg

@Mickep managed to get  in this deal was 

1xkegerator fully setup to take 4 kegs
1x regulator
1 4 way manifold
4 x ss disconects for beer
4xg ss disconnects for gas

$500  bucks and @Mickep is going to get after sale care.

my involvement was only mentioning buyer and seller

and i would have done the same for everyone if they was in the market 

@Mickep  enjoy mate  you can have 4 taps of greatness on and welcome to kegging my friend

PS @Mickep no beers needed we will catch up one day  for a real beer  and that will be enough.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

No Need to Thank me @Mickep

I discovered this at the time you wanted to buy mate 

and you wasnt going to get cheaper then you got

Guys and gals Mick was buying a ready made set up  4 tap kegerator  ready to go all he need was a reg gas and keg

@Mickep managed to get  in this deal was 

1xkegerator fully setup to take 4 kegs
1x regulator
1 4 way manifold
4 x ss disconects for beer
4xg ss disconnects for gas

$500  bucks and @Mickep is going to get after sale care.

my involvement was only mentioning buyer and seller

and i would have done the same for everyone if they was in the market 

@Mickep  enjoy mate  you can have 4 taps of greatness on and welcome to kegging my friend

PS @Mickep no beers needed we will catch up one day  for a real beer  and that will be enough.

Sounds like a great buy, I guess that the Series X is 2nd hand but still I would reckon it was good buying and it looks in perfect condition. A few kegs and some CO2 and you are away @Mickep. That manifold that it came with is the same as mine and they are the ant's pants with the one way valve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

Sounds like a great buy, I guess that the Series X is 2nd hand but still I would reckon it was good buying and it looks in perfect condition. A few kegs and some CO2 and you are away @Mickep. That manifold that it came with is the same as mine and they are the ant's pants with the one way valve.

Mate  , he got more then he bargained for.

I was a go between  them both

• Like 3

@Mickep sweet looking unit there.  Here is a little tip you will need twice the number of kegs to taps.  4 taps = 8 kegs because you will need stock in reserve as those kegs tend to run out all about the same time.   That is if you drinking pattern is anything like mine.   Have fun fella. 

• Haha 2