Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

11 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I've hit a snag in the cleaning department. My line cleaning efforts have been stalled by a leak in the KL bottle carb cap set up.

275476278_1836785806517780_3720571259680004706_n.thumb.jpg.1d00bc2dfb161f916219c4c53ef8a497.jpg

I can't manage to get a seal where the tee screws onto the bottle - so no pumpy pumpy action. ☹️

Try a 2l coke bottle   that will work

Or fill a new keg with beer line cleaner and repeat with sanitiser   

Then fill that keg up with beer  kill 2 birds with one stone

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

So the K1 ("Kölle") is now kegged and joins its Middy Mate in the Keg Freezer...  see below.

Slowly restoring some stocks - four more kegs to go.  The two little ones in there I will make into non-alc fizzy drinks. 

Am hoping to do an Aussie-Lager-ish thing this arvo, and then I can get the Helles done tomorrow and backfill with the Lager -- all going well that is -- and no hiccup hurdles on the way 👍

An absolute hive of industry IP, keep it going, get those stocks up for when you are going to have a beer.

• Haha 1

HELP! Can anyone tell me what I have to do with the red colored levers on the KL gas splitter manifold. They are all in the horizontal pointing left, is turning them down ward on.......If somebody could help out I'd be extremely grateful.

TIA

Mick

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

HELP! Can anyone tell me what I have to do with the red colored levers on the KL gas splitter manifold. They are all in the horizontal pointing left, is turning them down ward on.......If somebody could help out I'd be extremely grateful.

TIA

Mick

Struth Mick I feel for you, I can't help you but I hope you get it sorted. Cheers.

18 minutes ago, Mickep said:

TIA

Mick

straight ahead should be open, sounds like you've got them all in the closed position.

• Like 2

As @Stickers Stickers notes - down is good - I believe that when the handle is in the same alignment as the 'pipe' coming off the Manifold, the handle in direction of flow, then the valve should be open...  and if pointing perpendicular across the direction of flow... then the valve should be closed.

@Red devil 44 Red - is that a pretty reasonable rule for our valves here too...

My experience is more from 'butterfly valves' on larger water pipes...  (not so relevant with guillotine/knifegate valves which are better than butterfly valves but that's another story haha)

But I do believe @Mickep Mick that Stickers and I are in agreement... so hopefully we are both correct : )

Maybe just give it a try out to confirm @Mickep mate?

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

Just now, Itinerant Peasant said:

As @Stickers Stickers notes - down is good - I believe that when the handle is in the same alignment as the 'pipe' coming off the Manifold, then the valve should be open...  and if pointing across the direction of flow... then the valve should be closed.

@Red devil 44 Red - is that a pretty reasonable rule for our valves here too...

My experience is more from 'butterfly valves' on larger water pipes...  (not so relevant with guillotine/knifegate valves which are better than butterfly valves but that's another story haha)

But I do believe @Mickep Mick that Stickers and I are in agreement... so hopefully we are both correct : )

Maybe just give it a try out to confirm @Mickep mate?

Thank you IP, great stuff mate.

• Thanks 1

Well I'm now connected to the NBN (the Nuffy Beer Network).

I purged all kegs of oxygen (I hope) and without a manifold I have just the one carbing up on 12psi at 4C.

I even poured a flat beer from it to ensure it was working and thankfully it did.

One negative: I reckon Kegland have sent me the wrong bronco taps because they won't go into the duotight reducers. I've been back to their website and notice they have two types. I ordered exactly what was in their starter kit apart from subbing out the steel kegs for the plastic. I ended up forcing the bronco tap into the Evabarrier and it almost forced the tap off after just one pour. I've emailed Kegland for help.

IMG20220310174500.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Well I'm now connected to the NBN (the Nuffy Beer Network).

I purged all kegs of oxygen (I hope) and without a manifold I have just the one carbing up on 12psi at 4C.

I even poured a flat beer from it to ensure it was working and thankfully it did.

One negative: I reckon Kegland have sent me the wrong bronco taps because they won't go into the duotight reducers. I've been back to their website and notice they have two types. I ordered exactly what was in their starter kit apart from subbing out the steel kegs for the plastic. I ended up forcing the bronco tap into the Evabarrier and it almost forced the tap off after just one pour. I've emailed Kegland for help.

IMG20220310174500.jpg

Well done Muzzy, hope you get your stuff sorted with Kegland.

I was out there the other day collecting all my stuff and I must say they were extremely helpful. It's a face less locker room collection set up but the staff are right next door to there and were offering to help load the stuff - maybe they took pity on me lol.

Good luck mate, and happy brewing. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Well after a long day and a lot of help from Ozzie and a few others here I did what i thought was almost impossible for a Gimpy like me.

Kegged 2 Coopers FV's (nice Aussie Lager) and the kegs are now sitting in the kegerator at 2 degrees and hooked up to gas set at 14psi (slightly higher because of the gas splitter as per instructions)

As happy as Larry. Done! My first kegging experience. Chuffed. Thanks to all who have helped me get this done.

A few pics of the kegging day.

275567802_4665858783540640_2680778319822495093_n.jpg

275430968_1038150840239040_6994569079758978297_n.jpg

275371580_981134639500505_8215901314963226050_n.jpg

275278775_657843988876365_7740947871294685559_n.jpg

275231412_477756283828654_2521630114623768417_n.jpg

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

Well after a long day and a lot of help from Ozzie and a few others here I did what i thought was almost impossible for a Gimpy like me.

Kegged 2 Coopers FV's (nice Aussie Lager) and the kegs are now sitting in the kegerator at 2 degrees and hooked up to gas set at 14psi (slightly higher because of the gas splitter as per instructions)

As happy as Larry. Done! My first kegging experience. Chuffed. Thanks to all who have helped me get this done.

Awesome Mick, I am glad it worked out for you, enjoy your new toy, now I want one 🥴

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Mickep said:

275567802_4665858783540640_2680778319822495093_n.jpg

275430968_1038150840239040_6994569079758978297_n.jpg

275371580_981134639500505_8215901314963226050_n.jpg

275278775_657843988876365_7740947871294685559_n.jpg

275231412_477756283828654_2521630114623768417_n.jpg

Jeez Mick, you and I are like the kegging equivalent of Jeff Thompson and Max Walker making our Test debuts on the same day in 1972. My system is much more basic than yours and there was a lot of profanity going on...especially with those wrong bronco taps. I can only imagine the frustrations you encountered.

• Haha 6

34 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Well after a long day

Well done @Mickep Mick Champion Effort - great stuff!!! 🥳

I do like the look of those scales... these days I try to brew so I just don't have too much fluid to overfill the keg...

But have had a few transfers with PFVs in the past where the system 'spat the dummy' and shot some beer out of the spunding valve haha which luckily being an old styler could be washed and re-used...

If it is humid you can see the beer coming up the side of the Corny so you got a chance...

But having a set of those festive scales would make things a bit easier to manage - I see you and @Shamus O'Sean are running them.

I have used a festive Aldi Baggage weighing handheld fella too which is better than nought but not as nice to use as that decent sized one which you can read easy while you are filling.... good stuff you lads!

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Jeez Mick, you and I are like the kegging equivalent of Jeff Thompson and Max Walker making our Test debuts on the same day in 1972. My system is much more basic than yours and there was a lot of profanity going on...especially with those wrong bronco taps. I can only imagine the frustrations you encountered.

Great analogy Muzzy, profanity was the order of the day mate. So you were not on your own there. Your system might be a little more basic but the principals remain the same.....we done good I think Muzzy. We've had a crack and it feels good. I'll sleep well tonight, well until I discover a gas leak tomorrow - 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Well done @Mickep Mick Champion Effort - great stuff!!! 🥳

I do like the look of those scales... these days I try to brew so I just don't have too much fluid to overfill the keg...

But have had a few transfers with PFVs in the past where the system 'spat the dummy' and shot some beer out of the spunding valve haha which luckily being an old styler could be washed and re-used...

If it is humid you can see the beer coming up the side of the Corny so you got a chance...

But having a set of those festive scales would make things a bit easier to manage - I see you and @Shamus O'Sean are running them.

I have used a festive Aldi Baggage weighing handheld fella too which is better than nought but not as nice to use as that decent sized one which you can read easy while you are filling.... good stuff you lads!

I'm chuffed mate I got the job done -but only with the greatest help from a couple of incredibly generous brewers from the forum. Big shout out to Ozzie mate,  Guru Shamus O' Sean, and to Red Devil as well. I would never have got this done without the Oz Devil's incredible generosity....

Love ya.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Great analogy Muzzy, profanity was the order of the day mate. So you were not on your own there. Your system might be a little more basic but the principals remain the same.....we done good I think Muzzy. We've had a crack and it feels good. I'll sleep well tonight, well until I discover a gas leak tomorrow - 😁

Yeah Mick, I'm like an expectant father with his wife gone into labour. I know this is going to be good as long as things go smoothly. Gas leak = breech birth.  😯

• Haha 4

50 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Awesome Mick, I am glad it worked out for you, enjoy your new toy, now I want one 🥴

Thank you Classic Phil mate, appreciate that......yes, you should make this your next plan....you'll need somewhere beaut to put that lovely AG brew your making. 😁🍻 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I'll sleep well tonight, well until I discover a gas leak tomorrow - 😁

I took a photo of the regulator gauges earlier and checked the regulator just now to compare. It seems to be maintaining the right pressure. I was quite worried about the integrity of the seals on all of the plastic parts my system has. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

It's a cut down piece of the wand inserted into the KL 10mmID (15mmOD) silicone food grade tube. Then I've used the KL steel (Liquid) ball lock disconnect and clamped it to the other end of the tube using a Bunnings hand screw 11-16mm clamp. (that's Ozzie D's) set-up

That's a good idea.  I wonder how much quicker your fills will be with the bigger diameter.  See a secret of being a Guru is being prepared to learn from others. 🙏

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Thank you Classic Phil mate, appreciate that......yes, you should make this your next plan....you'll need somewhere beaut to put that lovely AG brew your making. 😁🍻 

I had better try & jump the first hurdle first, I have got bit's & pieces everywhere & I keep adding them, it is like a giant jigsaw puzzle ATM but I will work it out, once I have mastered this I will think about something rather than bottling. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Mickep & @MUZZY  well done guys in kegging ya first brews

it was fun helping @Mickep  the past few weeks  and he has ran with kegging like there is no tommorow

@MUZZY  mate oli and kee are pretty good  as well as there customer service  , so give them a call
tell them  you think they sent the wrong bronco taps and they will most likely get you to send yours back and the will send out new ones to fit the duotights

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I took a photo of the regulator gauges earlier and checked the regulator just now to compare. It seems to be maintaining the right pressure. I was quite worried about the integrity of the seals on all of the plastic parts my system has. 

I had a leak from the screw in end of one of the red carbonation caps on one of mine.  I even tried tightening with a spanner - no good.  Luckily, I had a couple of the red carbonation caps floating around.  Swapped the leaking one out and all was fine.

Check them all with soapy water, if you have not already checked.  Maintaining pressure does not mean the connections are not leaking, until the tank is empty, when the gauges will drop.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1