Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

34 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Good luck with it, Phil. I hope it's worth the effort. I'm sure it will be.

Cheers Muzzy so far so good machine sanitised & checked for leaks, I worked the temp control out & used the pump, just had to go & change my trousers, no not that !! I learnt not do muck around with the recirc hose while the pump is on, lucky the water was heated around 40c so only my pride is damaged 🙄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers Muzzy so far so good machine sanitised & checked for leaks, I worked the temp control out & used the pump, just had to go & change my trousers, no not that !! I learnt not do muck around with the recirc hose while the pump is on, lucky the water was heated around 40c so only my pride is damaged 🙄 

phil  my advice to you with the pump   , its not a huge issue if using the top screen but if you decide to take the top screen off  and recirculate always pull the ricirc tube off the grain bed    before turning pump off  

the reason i say this  is the hot liquid will drain back and will suck up grain back into the pump

dont close the blue valve   until you turn the pump off by the red switch below

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Have you poured from the new PET kegs yet, Shamus? And what about the 20psi? They handled the pressure?

I've carbonated a few of mine for a week each at 12psi but have no idea what the results will be like until those bloody taps arrive.

Good video, Muzzy.  Looks like it poured okay to me.

I have only had water in one of my PET kegs.  It is carbonated okay, but a bit low.  It was set at 15psi for at least 2 weeks before it came good.  Soda water should be fizzier than beer, but if I set my water at proper pressure for fizzy water, my beer would be all froth.

The PET kegs have a working pressure of 58psi printed on them.  I set mine at 20psi yesterday to be on the safe side.  Once the beer is carbonated I will set it back to 15psi for serving.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Good video, Muzzy.  Looks like it poured okay to me.

I have only had water in one of my PET kegs.  It is carbonated okay, but a bit low.  It was set at 15psi for at least 2 weeks before it came good.  Soda water should be fizzier than beer, but if I set my water at proper pressure for fizzy water, my beer would be all froth.

The PET kegs have a working pressure of 58psi printed on them.  I set mine at 20psi yesterday to be on the safe side.  Once the beer is carbonated I will set it back to 15psi for serving.

Thanks, guru.
I'm rather happy with how it poured. The 12psi you suggested is a good serving pressure. The problem was I don't think I left it on the gas for long enough. Only 6 days and then I switched the gas to the next keg.
It looks like I'll need to get a decent sized keg fridge and another CO2 tank to avoid the pitfalls of constantly switching over from keg to keg.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

It looks like I'll need to get a decent sized keg fridge and another CO2 tank to avoid the pitfalls of constantly switching over from keg to keg.

It looks like you are getting right into it.

Before you know it you will have the latest Kegge thing with all the taps.

HaHa, Have fun🤣

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

phil  my advice to you with the pump   , its not a huge issue if using the top screen but if you decide to take the top screen off  and recirculate always pull the ricirc tube off the grain bed    before turning pump off  

the reason i say this  is the hot liquid will drain back and will suck up grain back into the pump

dont close the blue valve   until you turn the pump off by the red switch below

Yeah thanks for the tips, I have decided to abort the mission today, a couple of things didn't go right or I didn't do them right. I ended up with water everywhere trying to work out when to use the pump & not to. While I was sanitising the silicone hose with the camlock by running the water & keg cleaner through it, it was leaking until I turned the pump off. To be clear I was emptying the unit so I could rinse it a bit before the I start a brew.

I have decided to make a fresh start in the morning & have a few beers & de-stress. Cheers,🍻

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah thanks for the tips, I have decided to abort the mission today, a couple of things didn't go right or I didn't do them right. I ended up with water everywhere trying to work out when to use the pump & not to. While I was sanitising the silicone hose with the camlock by running the water & keg cleaner through it, it was leaking until I turned the pump off. To be clear I was emptying the unit so I could rinse it a bit before the I start a brew.

I have decided to make a fresh start in the morning & have a few beers & de-stress. Cheers,🍻

1st time is nerve wrecking mate

1. turn pump on when heating the strike water  

2.Turn pump off  when adding grain in and stirring the mash in

3. 10 minutes after stirring the grain in and the grain bed has come stable  place the recirc hose ontop of the top plate 

4. the thing i do now is turn pump on  then where the recirc is i close the blue valve towards off so there is just a small steady flow that its not pumping out quick

5. leave the pump running if doing a mash out  at 76°  for 10 to 20 minutes

6. turn pump off and remove recirc arm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, DavidM said:

It looks like you are getting right into it.

Before you know it you will have the latest Kegge thing with all the taps.

HaHa, Have fun🤣

Haha. I don't know about that, Dave. I only work 2 days a week these days. I reckon the budget will ensure I don't get too carried away.

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks, guru.
I'm rather happy with how it poured. The 12psi you suggested is a good serving pressure. The problem was I don't think I left it on the gas for long enough. Only 6 days and then I switched the gas to the next keg.

The simplest thing would be a T-piece to split the gas line in two.  Buy another gas disconnect.  You can then gas up both kegs at the same time.  If you only have one keg going, the other disconnect can just hang loose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The simplest thing would be a T-piece to split the gas line in two.  Buy another gas disconnect.  You can then gas up both kegs at the same time.  If you only have one keg going, the other disconnect can just hang loose.

I haven't looked too far into it yet, Shamus, but I didn't think a solution would be that simple. Thank you.
I still think I'll get another CO2 tank (6kg) down the track though. After reading other comments I fear the 2.6kg might frustrate me if it runs out unexpectedly.
What I might do is use a 6kg for carbonating and the 2.6kg for dispensing.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I haven't looked too far into it yet, Shamus, but I didn't think a solution would be that simple. Thank you.
I still think I'll get another CO2 tank (6kg) down the track though. After reading other comments I fear the 2.6kg might frustrate me if it runs out unexpectedly.

Muzzy just get the Kegerator, ' You know you want it 'SWMBO will understand I am sure 🤔

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Muzzy just get the Kegerator, ' You know you want it 'SWMBO will understand I am sure 🤔

Actually she would understand and I'd get it if I wanted it but I don't want it!
This may surprise you but I look after our household finances and she's happy with that. I wouldn't be comfortable with a purchase like that. While a Kegerator might be appealing they don't hold enough value for my way of thinking. A tiny, unknown branded fridge with taps for close to a grand? Just so I can pour beers from it. Not for me, thanks. For that kind of dough I'd get a 400-500l Westinghouse or similar and I could probably fill it with food and grog too.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Actually she would understand and I'd get it if I wanted it but I don't want it!
This may surprise you but I look after our household finances and she's happy with that. I wouldn't be comfortable with a purchase like that. While a Kegerator might be appealing they don't hold enough value for my way of thinking. A tiny, unknown branded fridge with taps for close to a grand? Just so I can pour beers from it. Not for me, thanks. For that kind of dough I'd get a 400-500l Westinghouse or similar and I could probably fill it with food and grog too.

Yep......you keep doing Muzzy stuff. What makes you happy with brewing. You dont have to impress anyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

Yep......you keep doing Muzzy stuff. What makes you happy with brewing. You dont have to impress anyone.

Right on, Paley. That's not to say I don't think people should get a Kegerator either. If that's what floats your boat, knock yourself out. It's just not for me.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

You've been around here for a while mate. You make me laugh. I enjoy your down the line posts. No fukng around. Good fun.

You put your photo up of your mug. That takes balls. You're better looking than me if that helps.

Im an opinionated twat at times here. People like you keep me a bit level.

I am what I am, mate. I like to make people laugh and that's why I share my image online. 😄 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Who said 10:30am is too early for a beer? When I've been waiting to pour one of these for weeks I'm not going to wait a second longer.

I'm happy it worked first time. The beer is a little under carbonated. This keg I had on 12psi for 6 days or thereabouts. It's been off the gas for a week or so. I've just upped the psi a little and we'll see how we go from there.

Not a perfect start to my kegging experience but I can't say I'm unhappy.

Well done Muzzy great work mate. Love it! 10.30am in Oz hey.....be after midday somewhere in the world. Never too early. It's taste testing. 😁🍻

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MUZZY said:

or similar

Truly Spoken @MUZZY Muzzler there are a few ways on the keg-leg up the Mountain on the BBJ (Beautiful Brewing Journey)  🙂

I got a festive Husky Chest Freezer fortunately just before 'the trouble started' (CV19) and they were a bit cheaper back then... at least less than halfa one of those fancy good looking little fridges w nice taps... my freezer version do cost a bit more now sadly - like 50% more... but you can dial in whatever temp you want which is gold... throw in a few SS clamped EVABarrier lines and some pluto guns into the mix and you are in business.... yeah not pretty... yeah do take up space... bit of a mess w hoses and guns floating about.... but they do the job and they are great if you don't want your real estate agent or property manager know you are running a brewery... 😆

They are efficient re cooling power and at keeping beer chilled - and you don't lose that much cold air when you open the lid... plus you can run 8 Bevvies 6 bigs and 2 smalls.... or probably about 50 of those festive little brown fellas : )  Is a bit of heavy lifting getting the big SS kegs in when full... but you know you are doing your back a favour by drinking the kegs so that they are easy to lift out : )  And some brewers use lifting jiggers of various sorts to help overcome the back probs. 

Apologies for the disgraceful gap for two more kegs in the photo below - those two beers are still missing - lying around like unregistered dogs in their respective FVs currently  - with another three now taking up res in the Brew Fridge...  so there won't be any cold crashing for latest brews underway but it's pretty cold and wet at mo so their FV conditioning time is going to be nice and cool at least ; )

image.thumb.png.394120b87d996e6843f0612f5d719b07.png

And yeah below see the Brew Fridge is infested w full kegs.... which is also another way to do things... just kegs and pluto guns in a fridge.... which can work pretty well too.... and I guess that is what you are doing already hey : )

image.thumb.png.e6e01a3e6e9f6283ebbc905cbea3e227.png

Will be nice in a few more weeks or so all going well to be able to have on offer a suite of IP Brewing's finest Mountain Bev's and some non-alc ones as well : )

Cheers All and Good Brewing : )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Itinerant Peasant For a peasant you sure do have a lot of beer. 🤣
Very impressive, mate.

Well.... now.... not really.... some is still fermenting so is halfway between Wort and Beer (tho probably closer to being beer right now haha) and the Stout Keg that has been in cool maturation is probably only a bit more than 1/2 full.... so I guess it's not thaaaaaaat much? 😆

I will be working back to an inventory of six I think and look to not infest the Brew Fridge as it is pretty handy to have temp control for the Ferment both warm and cool plus the Cold Crashing side of things... 

...O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I!

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I got one of these 4 way splitters. Cost me 25€ off ikegger Europe:

image.png.9f726c8ce0f688eaca9bf1b730062cc3.png

I need to screw it into the inside of the old fridge I requisitioned. Ideally at the back but I am worried about drilling through a cooling line, so it will have the be the side as I am pretty sure there isn't any important stuff, only foam. I would prefer a right-angled connection for the gas entrance pipe, there's too much of a bend in the hose, and it isn't very flexible 

gas splitter 2.jpg

gas splitter 1.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I need to screw it into the inside of the old fridge I requisitioned. Ideally at the back but I am worried about drilling through a cooling line, so it will have the be the side as I am pretty sure there isn't any important stuff, only foam. I would prefer a right-angled connection for the gas entrance pipe, there's too much of a bend in the hose, and it isn't very flexible 

They are amazing tough good looking hoses @stquinto compared to our pissssant thin things (which do work but do split too)... and those beautiful good qual screw on fittings... they look like the ticket to me mate!  Nice work!

As for drilling holes in boats and fridges - I am averse to such activities - canna you not get some decent double sided tape or some sort of good Euro Qual adhesive tape or other to glue to the fridge rather than more holes anywhere near coolant lines?

I guess if you have done a couple happily already then a few more in a similar area might be ok? 😬

And well your beeeeyoooodiful neat and tidy set-up is so much neater and tidier than my messy all-over-the-shop bit-of-kit so maybe just stick to your good way of doing things 🙂

I guess my messy lot of vessels pipes and guns still does deliver beer too  ...just 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Truly Spoken @MUZZY Muzzler there are a few ways on the keg-leg up the Mountain on the BBJ (Beautiful Brewing Journey)  🙂

I got a festive Husky Chest Freezer fortunately just before 'the trouble started' (CV19) and they were a bit cheaper back then... at least less than halfa one of those fancy good looking little fridges w nice taps... my freezer version do cost a bit more now sadly - like 50% more... but you can dial in whatever temp you want which is gold... throw in a few SS clamped EVABarrier lines and some pluto guns into the mix and you are in business.... yeah not pretty... yeah do take up space... bit of a mess w hoses and guns floating about.... but they do the job and they are great if you don't want your real estate agent or property manager know you are running a brewery... 😆

They are efficient re cooling power and at keeping beer chilled - and you don't lose that much cold air when you open the lid... plus you can run 8 Bevvies 6 bigs and 2 smalls.... or probably about 50 of those festive little brown fellas : )  Is a bit of heavy lifting getting the big SS kegs in when full... but you know you are doing your back a favour by drinking the kegs so that they are easy to lift out : )  And some brewers use lifting jiggers of various sorts to help overcome the back probs. 

Apologies for the disgraceful gap for two more kegs in the photo below - those two beers are still missing - lying around like unregistered dogs in their respective FVs currently  - with another three now taking up res in the Brew Fridge...  so there won't be any cold crashing for latest brews underway but it's pretty cold and wet at mo so their FV conditioning time is going to be nice and cool at least ; )

image.thumb.png.394120b87d996e6843f0612f5d719b07.png

And yeah below see the Brew Fridge is infested w full kegs.... which is also another way to do things... just kegs and pluto guns in a fridge.... which can work pretty well too.... and I guess that is what you are doing already hey : )

image.thumb.png.e6e01a3e6e9f6283ebbc905cbea3e227.png

Will be nice in a few more weeks or so all going well to be able to have on offer a suite of IP Brewing's finest Mountain Bev's and some non-alc ones as well : )

Cheers All and Good Brewing : )

It Gets the Job Done

Well done!

Impressive set up!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1