Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It's just too easy to have another glass.

I try to use smaller glasses to minimise the impact of my decisions.

weekends are the hassle for me   during the week i hardly drink   as i just dont no when  nhvr ,vicroads or the coppers decide to pull me over for a compliance check    ,  funny enough got pulled over twice yesterday from nhvr  for compliance checks

so i try to stay 0.0  during the week

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 10:05 PM, iBooz2 said:

All you fridge hole drillers have holes in your head.

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR FIDGE UNDER MOST CIRCUMSTANCES.  You can be lucky in some cases.

Nothing to do with luck, if you know what you're doing and have the right fridge its a piece of cake.

I fitted four taps and a gas line hole to my fridge, and absolutely knew i'd have no problem.

I still dont get how you fit taps and gas line to a fridge without drilling holes?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Nothing to do with luck, if you know what you're doing and have the right fridge its a piece of cake.

I fitted four taps and a gas line hole to my fridge, and absolutely knew i'd have no problem.

I still dont get how you fit taps and gas line to a fridge without drilling holes?

It seems that a lot a people do it without issue, I have several fridges but would be unsure which one to use, I am not a tradie type so I won't be tackling it by myself, if I get the opportunity down the track I would happily buy the appropriate items needed & give it a go, 2 or 3 taps would be enough for a start but if I could squeeze 4 in that would be better.

But I would have to wait for someone that could do it for me. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

It seems that a lot a people do it without issue, I have several fridges but would be unsure which one to use, I am not a tradie type so I won't be tackling it by myself, if I get the opportunity down the track I would happily buy the appropriate items needed & give it a go, 2 or 3 taps would be enough for a start but if I could squeeze 4 in that would be better.

But I would have to wait for someone that could do it for me. 

There are plenty of methods to chase any refrigeration lines or wiring on a door of a fridge. But the best way is just to select an older type fridge with no digitals involved on the door. It really isnt that hard, and quite obvious whether you can drill or not. Those rare few that have stuffed up, have simply chose the wrong fridge. 

A bit of homework doesn't go astray.

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 10:35 PM, iBooz2 said:

All you fridge hole drillers have holes in your head.

DO NOT DRILL HOLES IN YOUR FIDGE UNDER MOST CIRCUMSTANCES.  You can be lucky in some cases.

in ways i would agree with you,  but if you are drilling holes for taps in a fridge its mainly through the door which is all insulation  unless you have a fancy pant ice machine in it

there is something   you can spray on the fridge while the fridge is running  that high lights the bits and bobs you have to miss

that is why alot say use a hot pin  to go through before drilling the hole   this way you dont put a hole in the bits and bobs we shouldnt

Keezers  they are easier  mount a collar and put your gas and tapps on the collar.

personelly i'm with you thou iboozer as i would be the one to hit the bits and bobs to render a fridge cactus

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

There are plenty of methods to chase any refrigeration lines or wiring on a door of a fridge. But the best way is just to select an older type fridge with no digitals involved on the door. It really isnt that hard, and quite obvious whether you can drill or not. Those rare few that have stuffed up, have simply chose the wrong fridge. 

A bit of homework doesn't go astray.

Here's a photo of an old Westinghouse 1990 fridge, I use it as a brew fridge on occasion & I have 2 smaller younger ones but I would be unsure with all of the stuff inside the door, I will have to get it checked out, my mate @Marksmans Giftgift might have a look for me, we catch up for beers now & again. I had to remove some of the "R" rated material on the door for the photo 🤣

20220404_154710.jpg

20220404_154934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

in ways i would agree with you,  but if you are drilling holes for taps in a fridge its mainly through the door which is all insulation  unless you have a fancy pant ice machine in it

there is something   you can spray on the fridge while the fridge is running  that high lights the bits and bobs you have to miss

that is why alot say use a hot pin  to go through before drilling the hole   this way you dont put a hole in the bits and bobs we shouldnt

Keezers  they are easier  mount a collar and put your gas and tapps on the collar.

personelly i'm with you thou iboozer as i would be the one to hit the bits and bobs to render a fridge cactus

Which makes me wonder whether just go buy a Kegerator, the thing is there have been reports of them not lasting that long so I don't know I will have to keep bottling until I figure it out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Here's a photo of an old Westinghouse 1990 fridge, I use it as a brew fridge on occasion & I have 2 smaller younger ones but I would be unsure with all of the stuff inside the door, I will have to get it checked out, my mate @Marksmans Giftgift might have a look for me, we catch up for beers now & again. I had to remove some of the "R" rated material on the door for the photo 🤣

20220404_154710.jpg

20220404_154934.jpg

Theres nothing on that front door thats going to worry you.  Pull all the shelving and crap out of the way, if its nice and thin between the insulation and door youre going to be ok. A keg fridge in the making. Have a look on youtube, theres a few ways to go about it.

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Theres nothing on that front door thats going to worry you.  Pull all the shelving and crap out of the way, if its nice and thin between the insulation and door youre going to be ok. A keg fridge in the making. Have a look on youtube, theres a few ways to go about it.

OK thanks for that, I will conquer AG first but it would be nice just to walk up & pour a beer. Cheers.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

20220404_154710.jpg

20220404_154934.jpg

the only issue you will have with that  fridge is your gas line (but you can run the gas line through the seal of the door anyway)

easy 3kegs or 4 kegs could squeeze in there by the looks of it

there is no electricals in that door  to be concerned about putting taps on that..   

i'm actually considering doing it to my fermentation fridge  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

the only issue you will have with that  fridge is your gas line (but you can run the gas line through the seal of the door anyway)

easy 3kegs or 4 kegs could squeeze in there by the looks of it

there is no electricals in that door  to be concerned about putting taps on that..   

i'm actually considering doing it to my fermentation fridge  

I thought you just bought a new 4 tap Kegerator ?

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

I thought you just bought a new 4 tap Kegerator ?

i did,  a man can not have enough beer taps around the house i would even shower in beer if i could plumb a endless supply of the nector of the gods

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

Holes galore. 2010 model. Just a plain fridge no gimmicks on the door. Fantastic keg fridge. I didn't just get lucky I did some research. 

20220404_161414.jpg

And you get a "waggie tail"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Mickep said:

into the keg.

@Mickep and @Shamus O'Sean you Keg Lords have inspired me...  I think one can get away with a CO2 filled keg to top up just with a hose and pushing the cushion of CO2 out as you fill.... but am keen to have a crack at more of a "closed transfer" out of my Coopers FVs like you have been showing.... should be interesting... will use the ol' Spundly for letting the Gas out as the Keg fills.... hopefully it will all work out : )

In this case I just warmed up the piece of Coopers Bottling Wand and then pushed the Keg Liquid Line inside which seems a firm fit... guess will hafta test to see if it holds.... just having a bit of a sterilising soak in some San at the mo  ; )

image.thumb.png.d18f955485527fc61725c838469de5e5.png

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

In this case I just warmed up the piece of Coopers Bottling Wand and then pushed the Keg Liquid Line inside which seems a firm fit... guess will hafta test to see if it holds.... just having a bit of a sterilising soak in some San at the mo  ; )

That's exactly what I did.  The 8mmOD tube seems to fit perfectly inside the Coopers bottling wand.  I think that @Mickep went the other way with a 10mm ID tube that fits perfectly over the bottling wand. Either way, I think the flow is limited by the internal dimensions of the disconnect.

I think the Spundly might be problematic.  Coming from the standard Coopers FV you only have gravity as your friend, not pressure. The Spundly would have to be set very low to allow gas out and still let beer in.  Early on I just fitted a gas disconnect and let the CO2 be pushed out by the beer coming in.  It does not rush out, but I figure if there is a slight breeze of CO2 coming out, it will be very difficult for any air to get passed it and into the keg.

Mind you a thick hazy non-cold-crashed wheat beer probably takes nearly an hour to empty out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

The Spundly would have to be set very low to allow gas out and still let beer in.

Truly spoken @Shamus O'Sean Shamus me ol' Cobber : )

I believe Spundly will be set as close as one could get to as being flat-out-open mate.... as yes the pressure is v low.

And I will keep your good idea of a plain ol' gas disconnect in me back pocket maybe with a loose fitting little alfoil hat over it to encourage CO2 out and not much else in 👍

Thanks very much for getting back to me on this and in nice amount of detail too - great stuff - thanks mate!

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

takes nearly an hour to empty out.

And that is good to know as well.... mmm.... very good to know - that I might need to set up and leave it get on with things Ta!

The volume is not vast so should be no fear of overflow 🙂

• Like 2