Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That's exactly what I did.  The 8mmOD tube seems to fit perfectly inside the Coopers bottling wand.  I think that @Mickep went the other way with a 10mm ID tube that fits perfectly over the bottling wand. Either way, I think the flow is limited by the internal dimensions of the disconnect.

I think the Spundly might be problematic.  Coming from the standard Coopers FV you only have gravity as your friend, not pressure. The Spundly would have to be set very low to allow gas out and still let beer in.  Early on I just fitted a gas disconnect and let the CO2 be pushed out by the beer coming in.  It does not rush out, but I figure if there is a slight breeze of CO2 coming out, it will be very difficult for any air to get passed it and into the keg.

Mind you a thick hazy non-cold-crashed wheat beer probably takes nearly an hour to empty out.

@Shamus O'Sean and @Itinerant Peasant, I did indeedy go the 10mm ID - the little grey whatchamacallit which fits on the gas disconnect helps gimpy's like me from overfilling the keg should i get distracted. The gravity feed from the Coopers FV into the keg using the 10mm ID tube works extremely well for me. Kegs filled in about 15 minutes. Just on a completely other matter I've been using the 2.6kg CO2 gas bottle before I start filling the keg to push the oxygen out of the unfilled keg - I purge the gas from the keg a few times  and then start filling - is that okay to do? I think I read somewhere that's the right thing to do  - yeah?  

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Mickep said:

Just on a completely other matter I've been using the 2.6kg CO2 gas bottle before I start filling the keg to push the oxygen out of the unfilled keg - I purge the gas from the keg a few times  and then start filling - is that okay to do? I think I read somewhere that's the right thing to do  - yeah?

I would not say wrong.  But I would say not very efficient.  If your keg already has air in it before you fill it, you would be better off to fill it with beer, then to purge the small airspace at the top of the full keg.  Trying to purge a keg full of air would just see the air and CO2 get too mixed up together in my view.

I fill my clean, empty kegs with sanitiser (about 20 litres that I keep reusing many times).  I fill the keg right to the brim.  Then fit the keg lid.  Next I use the CO2 from a recently blown keg to push out the sanitiser.  The blown keg gas-in post is connected to the sanitiser filled keg's gas-in post via a gas to gas jumper.  The santiser comes out of the beer-out post into another keg or a spare jerry can.  When this process is finished, the previously sanitiser-filled keg is now full of CO2.  No need to purge later when I fill it with beer.  This process also puts the 12-15psi of CO2 in a blown keg to good use.  I usually need about 1 1/2 blown kegs to purge one sanitiser-filled keg.  Sometimes I have to supplement that with a little CO2 straight from my gas bottle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Okay, some here may disagree with what I've done but I've had my Bootmaker in the keg for two days at 35 psi. Reset the psi back down to 15 and just had a taste at 2 days. All I can say is wow!

While it obviously hasn't had any time to mature the carbonation level is magnificent and might I say the beer tastes unbelievably good for 2 days in the keg.......Bootmaker I'm sorry I ever doubted you!

277823765_512279640491377_5895170644357416601_n.jpg

277941858_697998771336012_3089819154555414393_n.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Okay, some here may disagree with what I've done but I've had my Bootmaker in the keg for two days at 35 psi. Reset the psi back down to 15 and just had a taste at 2 days. All I can say is wow!

While it obviously hasn't had any time to mature the carbonation level is magnificent and might I say the beer tastes unbelievably good for 2 days in the keg.......Bootmaker I'm sorry I ever doubted you!

Looks nice especially at that age, I trust you tipped out the sample after 🤣

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Mickep said:

277823765_512279640491377_5895170644357416601_n.jpg

277941858_697998771336012_3089819154555414393_n.jpg

Looks magnificent Mick 👍💪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.a34d945d59b2addbd793e4b76266491e.png

The festive @Shamus O'Sean 'shameless' close transfer methodology at work... thanks SOS - seems to be working out ok - the second Dubbya version took ages but might have had a bit of hoppage cloggage going on too...

But all the same - thanks to you and @Mickep who was doing it - that encouraged me to have a go - and I think it is working... 

Whether it makes a material difference in the beer over and above what I was doing prior who knows but I do like the idea of having no extra exposure to anything on the way through and minimal Oxygen interaction...  thanks 😋

So thanks all ye Keg Lords all and sundry - hopefully this is another good step forward in continuous improvement : )

Brew Up and Brew On!

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 8

Little post easter project coming up. I've got older style pin lock kegs, 2 lines, 2 kegs. i'm finally going to convert one of the lines over to ball lock and have two new kegs on the way as well. should make my brewing life a whole lot easier. on the offchance they arrive before easter.. even better.

• Like 5

I rectified a silly decision yesterday and bought a 4 tap font tower and an additional tap for the kegerator. I also got myself 12m of 4mm beer line to get proper beer line length. I had planned to do a complete rebuild and clean of everything, so I thought whilst I am at it, I may as well upgrade the bugger. Now I just need some time to sort it.

• Like 5

On 4/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, Aussiekraut said:

I rectified a silly decision yesterday and bought a 4 tap font tower and an additional tap for the kegerator. I also got myself 12m of 4mm beer line to get proper beer line length. I had planned to do a complete rebuild and clean of everything, so I thought whilst I am at it, I may as well upgrade the bugger. Now I just need some time to sort it.

You'll still find that four is not enough. If I was allowed to, I would get another kegerator or make one myself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You'll still find that four is not enough. If I was allowed to, I would get another kegerator or make one myself.

Yeah, I can imagine it not being enough. But I do have mentioned a few times that I need a small chest freezer for lagering. Just big enough to hold 2 kegs and a small gas bottle. Then I can use pluto guns for the kegs in there 🙂 I haven't had any stern looks or negative feedback so far 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yeah, I can imagine it not being enough. But I do have mentioned a few times that I need a small chest freezer for lagering. Just big enough to hold 2 kegs and a small gas bottle. Then I can use pluto guns for the kegs in there 🙂 I haven't had any stern looks or negative feedback so far 🙂 

That's until your partner realises they cannot keep a few frozen items in your "freezer"

• Haha 2

Silly question but if a keg has been suitably carbonated with CO2 will this keg hold that same pressure if disconnected from the gas line for a few days? I presume so - but not certain. 

I have disconnected a beer keg for a day and it was fine when reconnected.  I have only done a few days with a soda water keg.  Disconnected the keg and removed from the kegerator (to cool and carbonate a keg of beer).  Left the soda water keg out for a few days.  Put back in, got it cold and it was still fizzy and good to go. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Silly question but if a keg has been suitably carbonated with CO2 will this keg hold that same pressure if disconnected from the gas line for a few days? I presume so - but not certain. 

no probs at all when my kegerator died  it was ofline for a good week  and connect gas back up and good to go again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well finally I can post on yet another new thread, I have jus joined the ranks of the Keggers ( in a small way to start )

I have just ordered this lot & cleaned out my Brew Fridge & got it ready for it's new it's new task.

I gave the order to our good friend Hoppy www.threechinsbrewing.com.au

I also getting the fridge drilled out to take 1 tap ATM.

19L Ball Lock Keg - Premium Brand New + Free Beverage Tag × 1

MK4 Regulator - Type 30 CO2 Gas - Dual Gauge Multi Gas (includes 8mm x FFL duotight) × 1

100mm NukaTap Long Shank - 304 Stainless Steel (duotight - 8mm (5/16) x 5/8inch Female) × 1

Duotight 8mm (5/16") x Ball Lock Disconnect (Black + Yellow/Liquid)) × 1

Duotight 8mm (5/16") x Ball Lock Disconnect (Grey+ Red/Gas) × 1

EVABarrier 5mm(13/64) x 8mm(5/16) Double Wall EVA (12meter Length in Bag) Beer Line / Gas Line × 1

Nukatap flow control tap × 1

Intertap Black Plastic Tap Handle - Long Slender Type × 1

Stainless Stepless Clamp (suit 7-10mm OD) 10.5mm × 1

2.6kg CO2 bottle × 1

20220421_131648.thumb.jpg.e4bb565d36d074c6ced52397123d74ef.jpg

• Like 8

@Classic Brewing Co  what made you go the nuckatap with flow control?

are you planning on Short beer lines or you actually wanting  balance beer line  

personally  i have nukataps on my kegerator and are fantastic   but i don't think 
i would go  the nukatap flow control   due to the position of the flow control  
as you will find it a bit of a juggling act specially if you put springs on ya tap so they automaticly shut off
, i am not knocking the tap  as it does work

i know you still will be happy  with your new setup  along with the Nukatap flow control   

just beaware   with 2.6kg  with your set up  the gas will chew through  alot quicker then you think

i usually have 2.6kg  for backup on weekends when i cant get co2    and have a 2x6kg at the moment but soon as my boc account comes up for renewal i am cancelling as 1x 6kg and a 2.6kg and a 400g sodastream and bulbs (bulbs i use for 5l keg when i go out)

anyway have fun with kegging

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

@Classic Brewing Co  what made you go the nuckatap with flow control?

are you planning on Short beer lines or you actually wanting  balance beer line  

personally  i have nukataps on my kegerator and are fantastic   but i don't think 
i would go  the nukatap flow control   due to the position of the flow control  
as you will find it a bit of a juggling act specially if you put springs on ya tap so they automaticly shut off
, i am not knocking the tap  as it does work

i know you still will be happy  with your new setup  along with the Nukatap flow control   

just beaware   with 2.6kg  with your set up  the gas will chew through  alot quicker then you think

i usually have 2.6kg  for backup on weekends when i cant get co2    and have a 2x6kg at the moment but soon as my boc account comes up for renewal i am cancelling as 1x 6kg and a 2.6kg and a 400g sodastream and bulbs (bulbs i use for 5l keg when i go out)

anyway have fun with kegging

Somebody who has a brewery is setting it up for me so I will go with what they do as I simply don't know at this stage.

I certainly am looking forward to it. Cheers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Somebody who has a brewery is setting it up for me so I will go with what they do as I simply don't know at this stage.

I certainly am looking forward to it. Cheers.

thats great  someone is setting it up for you , will make life easier   

When you get a bit more experienced with the Kegging   you may want to get   

the Nukatap counter pressure bottle filler  .    so you can bottle straight from the keg  

i have one of these plus a boel itap   and i recommend these 2 devices   

something for you to think of down the track

This handy counter pressure bottle filler is a useful tool to fill bottles of various sizes. It fits standard beer taps and is a great way to rack off a few bottles for competition or package beer into bottles.   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

thats great  someone is setting it up for you , will make life easier   

When you get a bit more experienced with the Kegging   you may want to get   

the Nukatap counter pressure bottle filler  .    so you can bottle straight from the keg  

i have one of these plus a boel itap   and i recommend these 2 devices   

something for you to think of down the track

Cheers, I probably will as they sound handy, I seem to be buying everything else ATM so why not 🤣

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers, I probably will as they sound handy, I seem to be buying everything else ATM so why not 🤣

only  money

they are handy   , but they take a bit of getting to know at 1st but when you have these bottle fillers   dialed in  they are a sinch and makes a bottling a few easy  

• Like 2