Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

On 4/23/2022 at 10:42 AM, ozdevil said:

Cleaning all my draft lines

How to do this

1.  Fill your bucket with 5l of cool water and add your beer cleaner as directed. Attach the hose barb to the pump and submerge it in the cleaner.

2.     After you remove the taps, attach each tap cleaning adapter to the tower as you would a typical tap. The supplied rubber gasket should be placed on the very back between the tap output and the adapter head.

3.     Inside your kegerator, attach liquid quick disconnect taps 1-2 together and 3-4 together using a jumper post.

4.     Attach taps 2 and 3 together with a short jumper length of tubing.

5.     The pump should be attached directly to tap 1 with a long length of tubing. Liquid flow will move directly into tap 1 (from the pump), down the beer line to QD post 1, into QD post of tap 2, up to tap 2, and into tap 3. So on and so forth. Tap 4 (or the last tap) returns the liquid back to the bucket with another longer length piece of tubing. Recirculate for 5-10 minutes.

6.     Flush the entire system with potable water afterward. You don’t need to recirculate water. The best way to do this is to pump fresh water from your source bucket and drain it into a separate bucket. This prevents the mixing of fresh water and cleaning solution.

7.     Discard the first 100mls of beer from each tap to ensure everything is properly flushed.

8.     While your lines are recirculating, you can soak your actual faucet heads (in the open position) in very hot water or place them in the bucket with the pump/cleaning solution. Rinse with hot water before reattaching.

You also can, providing you do not have springs in your in your taps is to use 8mm female to male duotights  on tap 1-4 or how many taps you have and you will screw the duotights to your beer taps and leave your beer taps open as if you were to pour a beer.   This way you will clean your taps as well without disconnecting them from the post

This is a great way and time saving way for us keggers to go about this but make  sure you have enough tubing so you can sit your bucket on the ground

I hope this all helps you keggers  and making life easier 

ok ladies and gentleman of the brewing forums  thought i would give an update

I am currently  washing my beer lines all 4 Taps at once (only issue you have if you a springs in your taps as the taps will not stay open)

the Pump i am using is the same pump they use in the bucket Blaster  and i used these to join the taps in side  

Wash multiple kegerator lines at the same time with the double headed corny post. This compact solution is going to make that routine cleaning day a breeze.

These  disconect joiners are great for cleaning your beer jumper leads

and here is an untidy version  on the outside you can see i used duotights  onto each tap   and the spots i have thrown into the cleaning bucket    

20220516_133716.thumb.jpg.f07ba1ef19e86603b9e68c9a551de07e.jpg

i must say its not powerful  at the 4th tap exit point but i could sit the bucket on kegerator and shorten the pump out as well as the the hose out   as we have to remember we are pushing through 4x2metre 4mm beer lines till water trickles out

but is cleaning the lines reasonably good

now i know all beer lines will be ready for each use

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ozdevil said:

ok ladies and gentleman of the brewing forums  thought i would give an update

I am currently  washing my beer lines all 4 Taps at once (only issue you have if you a springs in your taps as the taps will not stay open)

the Pump i am using is the same pump they use in the bucket Blaster  and i used these to join the taps in side  

Wash multiple kegerator lines at the same time with the double headed corny post. This compact solution is going to make that routine cleaning day a breeze.

These  disconect joiners are great for cleaning your beer jumper leads

and here is an untidy version  on the outside you can see i used duotights  onto each tap   and the spots i have thrown into the cleaning bucket    

20220516_133716.thumb.jpg.f07ba1ef19e86603b9e68c9a551de07e.jpg

i must say its not powerful  at the 4th tap exit point but i could sit the bucket on kegerator and shorten the pump out as well as the the hose out   as we have to remember we are pushing through 4x2metre 4mm beer lines till water trickles out

but is cleaning the lines reasonably good

now i know all beer lines will be ready for each use

What a great idea.  Those ball lock liquid jumper posts are so cheap.  Clean the whole system in the same time it takes to clean one line.  Gold! 

• Like 3

Not sure if I’m posting to the right spot, but I have a conundrum…

I’ve got a Duvel AG clone cold crashed for 20 days at about 3 to 5 degrees. I’m going to bottle it and if it had all fermented out I planned on using 2g Fermentis F2 yeast with say 6g sugar or dextrose per lite for the bottle fermentation.
It’s actually “stuck” at 1.010 - does any yeast guru reckon that the residual gravity would ferment out the extra sugar without the addition of F2? If it would that would be better as the pack of 20g has been open for about two months, albeit in the fridge, and maybe not so fresh. 

I’m quite keen on bottling this batch to see the effects of ageing. A bit like staying married. 
Ouch! Didn’t mean to say that, says the Brad Pitt look-alike 🤣

Cheers 

• Haha 1

Kegged my first AG Guinness clone. I split the kegs into 2 x 10 litres. I soured one with 2g lacto, and the other with 3% (300g) wort set aside from the FV before fermentation, then boiled for 10 minutes. There was a 6 pack worth of bottles  left over so it will be interesting tasting without souring. 

45AD770E-31C1-4DA4-99CC-B21591D97E0E.jpeg

B61B6395-CC37-4615-ADC2-B1FCB2FF80D5.jpeg

30C3157C-1482-41A0-B443-D3CBBCF48B8D.jpeg

265EAC01-D23B-4086-9C19-99F00C36686A.jpeg

4FDBD398-8A95-406F-AA5E-040A9CCA3CAB.jpeg

0EDDD999-F98A-4345-8842-605618F7EDD3.jpeg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I got this little beauty from @Hoppy81  nice little 8 litre PET keg. I'm going to have fun with this. I've already got a left over all grain half recipe planned. I'm going portable and mobile. 

Looks good @Pale Man I nearly went that way but as you say it's going to be portable, I suppose you would use Soda Stream to dispense it unless you have a Beer Cart 🚋 🤣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Looks good @Pale Man I nearly went that way but as you say it's going to be portable, I suppose you would use Soda Stream to dispense it unless you have a Beer Cart 🚋 🤣

Yes mate @Classic Brewing Co there is one like top LH Corner below that CPB have... works quite well though I reckon in general they chew through the bulbs pretty smartly - however - it does mean you can dispense beer 'on-the-move'

Best to ensure the Beer is well cooled-n-carbed prior to moving off...

image.png.1fdc0f1b6e098a41f370a6c5d60f7d52.png

@Red devil 44 Reddler you had a 'tearer-of-balls' mobile set-up for travelling Beer Dispensing... where'd that go?

image.thumb.png.159083e5f8022cbfc6e3a8f1a7a868ce.png

Or Brewers failing that - something like the above would be handy and quite nice some fellas in Westy make 'em to custom order ; )

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yes mate @Classic Brewing Co there is one like top LH Corner below that CPB have... works quite well though I reckon in general they chew through the bulbs pretty smartly - however - it does mean you can dispense beer 'on-the-move'

Best to ensure the Beer is well cooled-n-carbed prior to moving off...

image.png.1fdc0f1b6e098a41f370a6c5d60f7d52.png

@Red devil 44 Reddler you had a 'tearer-of-balls' mobile set-up for travelling Beer Dispensing... where'd that go?

image.thumb.png.159083e5f8022cbfc6e3a8f1a7a868ce.png

Or Brewers failing that - something like the above would be handy and quite nice some fellas in Westy make 'em to custom order ; )

Yes @Itinerant Peasant I had this 

1C8F3499-277E-4EDE-8755-1278AB5B69F8.jpeg

Edited by Red devil 44
  • Like 4

On 5/20/2022 at 2:50 AM, stquinto said:

and the other with 3% (300g) wort set aside from the FV before fermentation,

Did that ferment?? As in go sour???
A handful of grain thrown in may help next time if not

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I might look into a little 3kg bottle as a back up and use that as a mobile dispenser. Doesn't bother me carrying that around, thats why i have a ute.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

now i use a 5 litre  keg occasionly for golf or parties  and use the bulbs  , i wouldnt carb with them  , but i easily get through a 5 litre with 16gram bulbs with some gas left over

i would say using the 16g x2  would easily see through 8 litre keg providing your only trying to serve and not carbonate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

now i use a 5 litre  keg occasionly for golf or parties  and use the bulbs  , i wouldnt carb with them  , but i easily get through a 5 litre with 16gram bulbs with some gas left over

i would say using the 16g x2  would easily see through 8 litre keg providing your only trying to serve and not carbonate

I agree as @Pale Mansaid a 3kg would be the ticket.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I agree as @Pale Mansaid a 3kg would be the ticket.

and this is coming from someone who has only been kegging for 2 minutes

Phil  seriously mate  I am not talking carbing and serving at the same time

Pales looking at using these as a portable solution.. and why not  

carb at home   and just chuck a couple of of bulbs in ya pocket just for serving

your telling me it dont work

I am telling you it does work as i have done it , you havent Phil

hey look if you have a 2.6kg  you dont mind taking  thats great  and better

I have to ask are agreeing with Pale man becuase you have done this before?

I am not having ago at you.. i have been doing this along time to understand it all.. i am no expert 

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I might look into a little 3kg bottle as a back up and use that as a mobile dispenser. Doesn't bother me carrying that around, thats why i have a ute.

100% agree mate, a lot cheaper than the soda stream or bulb alternatives.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

100% agree mate, a lot cheaper than the soda stream or bulb alternatives.

i agree with that statement   specially if you are going to carbonate as well in them

using bulbs or the soda stream is convienient for night out or a weekend away camping if space is limited and no carbing required

38 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Hes right though, because thats what i want to do. Cant be arsed fluffing around with bulbs.

not so certain

i was a bit gun ho to be honest

2.6kg bottle is far better  then bulbs and not hard to cart about depending

i find in my 5 litre which is perfect for most things if carbed   prior to day bulbs are convenient as it fits in a eski   and bulbs are just used for serving   i get away with 1 bulb with a bit extra left from 1 bulb

i think if i was doing 8l keg i wouldnt worry about bulbs  2.6kg , yes you would get away with 2 bulbs just in serving if room was paramount

i love my 2.6kg  

i'm dissapointed now that i have a 400gram soda stream  it sites there doing nothing

bulbs dont sit as i said i use them for golf 

if it was a choice of bulbs or 2.6kg    you and classic have it right

i'm just saying it can be done if carbonation has been done and you only need serving pressure

• Like 2

I carb at home with my 32kg bottle and then use the bulbs at this stage, general rule you will use roughly 6 grams per litre to carbonate and 6 grams per litre to dispense. Much easier using bulbs for the portable solution, but if that doesn't concern you too much then grab a 2.6kg as it's way cheaper.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Hoppy81 said:

I carb at home with my 32kg bottle and then use the bulbs at this stage, general rule you will use roughly 6 grams per litre to carbonate and 6 grams per litre to dispense. Much easier using bulbs for the portable solution, but if that doesn't concern you too much then grab a 2.6kg as it's way cheaper.

totally agree  

i'm lucky i have 2x6kg +2.6kg +400gram(waste) +bulbs

only time i use bulbs is for golf

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 8:55 PM, Pale Man said:

I got this little beauty from @Hoppy81  nice little 8 litre PET keg. I'm going to have fun with this. I've already got a left over all grain half recipe planned. I'm going portable and mobile. 

20220524_200458.jpg

20220524_201708.jpg

Good luck with those.  I have already retired the two that I bought.  I could not get them to seal.  Lost a 6kg bottle of CO2 overnight. Pressure testing them when empty in a bucket of water showed no leaks.  Then with soapy water once filled and under pressure again showed no leaks.  Maybe the weight of the lines caused slight movement.  I do not really know.  Maybe I overtightened the threads.  That seems to be a possible issue with plastic on plastic seals.  In the end, having lost one bottle of CO2 and then, after checking the second keg and finding a slight leak, I thought; Nup, not worth it.

@MUZZY seems to be having no issues with them though, so maybe it is just me.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Good luck with those.  I have already retired the two that I bought.  I could not get them to seal.  Lost a 6kg bottle of CO2 overnight. Pressure testing them when empty in a bucket of water showed no leaks.  Then with soapy water once filled and under pressure again showed no leaks.  Maybe the weight of the lines caused slight movement.  I do not really know.  Maybe I overtightened the threads.  That seems to be a possible issue with plastic on plastic seals.  In the end, having lost one bottle of CO2 and then, after checking the second keg and finding a slight leak, I thought; Nup, not worth it.

I'll fill mine with water, gas it, turn the bottle off and see if the gauge drops at all before i use it. I'll probably use a bit of plumbers tape on the threads. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, interceptor said:

Did that ferment?? As in go sour???
A handful of grain thrown in may help next time if not

I put aside about 500ml from the finished wort before pitching. I left it in a glass jug with some tin foil on top. By the time that the beer had fermented it was pretty sour, and had some mould on top. I sieved it into a pan and boiled it for 10 minutes. I addedd 300ml to the keg (for 10 litres).

The other 10 litres I did with 2cc of lactose.

There is a thrid option of using some sour malt, when you brew. 

I'll let you know how the first two went, but I gotta mature it a bit 😉

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yeah can't say I've had issues with mine. Been off the gas for around 4 weeks and still has heaps of pressure. 

• Like 3