Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

6 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Thanks David.
I don't know a lot about kegging myself but I believe it's not advisable to lie the tanks down. Apparently the gas is liquified and can seep into the regulator and stuff it up if you do.

Well there Ya go, I know nothing about keging and I'm glad you do. I just saw the space below!

All good

• Like 2

Just now, Itinerant Peasant said:

Shout yerself a few cans of Coopers liquid malt @MUZZY Muzzler ; )

I'm a regular buyer of the Coopers Liquid gold, IP.  Just waiting for the free shipping offer so I can get some more. Gee the calendar ticks over slowly when you're waiting for free shipping offers. 😄 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I finally picked up my whiz bang fridge for my kegs. Gave it a thorough cleaning this morning and plugged her in. Plonked a piece of plywood and an old wire fridge shelf down to protect the glass shelf underneath. It should fit 5 x 8 litre kegs and the tank without any issues.

At the moment I'm just running with a 2.6kg CO2 bottle and thinking of continuing this way. If I go to 6kg I'll have to remove the shelf but this will also remove some extra storage for cans or other items.

I now also need to get some T pieces for my gas line to create a manifold system so I can carbonate more than one keg at a time.

Very pleased with this bargain buy. It has a huge freezer too so we can stock up on specials of meat, ice cream etc. without worrying if we have enough storage for them.

IMG20220710152902.jpg

Good for you Muzz mate 👍

I’m finding kegging a bit of a “journey” ( that’s what we old timers used to say you’re f@#king useless) and I ain’t there yet (in terms of consistency of the pour), but it’s the way to go !

I’m only bottling for the “specials” now i.e. rocket fuel

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Good for you Muzz mate 👍

I’m finding kegging a bit of a “journey” ( that’s what we old timers used to say you’re f@#king useless) and I ain’t there yet (in terms of consistency of the pour), but it’s the way to go !

I’m only bottling for the “specials” now i.e. rocket fuel

It certainly is a journey....with a few potholes along it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

consistency of the pour

I don't really think I am having any issues other than mine seems to be pouring a bit 'heady' but in a way that's a good thing as a short rest on the drip tray, top up & your away. I have tried turning the gas down but the first time I did that a friend come over & I was struggling to get a head on the beer.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, stquinto said:

finding kegging a bit of a “journey”

@stquinto Hey Sainter I guess we cannot all be festive Gas Experts like @Red devil 44 Reddler who has forgotten more about gas and pressure than I will ever know 🙂  But yer just gotta battle on mate... I recently had a pinched poppet o-ring after a keg-fill which really gave me the @@#$%s but after the grumbliness subsided I sorted things out and put a bit more keg lube on fittings and things seem to have calmed down again...  I think it's one of those things yer just gotta keep moving forward and learn from any hiccups along the way and from the Guns like Red on this forum!  Cos the Results are pretty good when everything works nicely ; )

Haha @MUZZY Muzzler - well said mate - and I haven't managed to fill mine in or drive around the potential ones so well recently 😋

5 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It certainly is a journey....with a few potholes along it.

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Westmalle Dubbel, and the ROTM from a while back - a fruity sour. That one is the first I’ve cold crashed - looking pretty clear  I’d chucked some finings in too.

The Westmalle looks like soy sauce 😳B89AE785-B751-422C-8121-37067A35A5BF.jpeg

483B36FD-1D3B-4F8E-AC67-D2AC000489CC.jpeg

34846311-75A3-4F52-A479-1CA4C5D616F3.jpeg

09D7B299-696E-4D8F-899B-E6AFEF7F76B8.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged my Berliner Weisse on Friday.  Also did a few 330ml flip top bottles too.

IMG_3032.JPG.ac1f61ea3dfadfcf8d591151c60545e6.JPG

Hey Shamus that is my next brew, mine is not as sophisticated as yours as it is a kit AG from Keg Land, they included 2 x pkts Philly so I am wondering if I should add them both - recipe attached.

Cheers

Phil

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hey Shamus that is my next brew, mine is not as sophisticated as yours as it is a kit AG from Keg Land, they included 2 x pkts Philly so I am wondering if I should add them both - recipe attached.

Cheers

Phil

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf 2.16 MB · 1 download

Hi Phil, I actually did the same brew a little while ago.  I used two packets of yeast in mine.  Several folks on here (@interceptor & @Popo) have good results with one yeast though.  I suggest trying to ferment your brew at 25°C for good results.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Phil, I actually did the same brew a little while ago.  I used two packets of yeast in mine.  Several folks on here (@interceptor & @Popo) have good results with one yeast though.  I suggest trying to ferment your brew at 25°C for good results.

OK thanks for that, when my ferment fridge is available, about 5 days I will brew it & do as you say, 25c no problem.

I appreciate you confirming the yeast quantity. Let me know how yours tastes as I am anxious to try it myself.

Cheers SOS.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

OK thanks for that, when my ferment fridge is available, about 5 days I will brew it & do as you say, 25c no problem.

I appreciate you confirming the yeast quantity. Let me know how yours tastes as I am anxious to try it myself.

Cheers SOS.

Here are my tasting notes on the Miami Weisse:

Slight sour aroma.  Like a hint of lemon juice.  Nice mouth watering sourness.  Not too strong though.  You could have have a session of these beers.  Sour after-taste lingers.  You can taste a maltiness to it.

The Berliner Weisse I kegged on Friday tastes more sour.  However, that could be because the sourness in the Berliner Weisse is not competing against the fuller flavour of the Miami Weisse.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoeB7 said:

Bottled first brew after 2 yrs off. Rookie error. No wonder it tastes like nothing.

20220717_225705.thumb.jpg.2227b15af57db5774e27a4ddcaad6d40.jpg

Hey Joe. Ah no worries mate. So u didnt add any hops I presume? Next time quick hop boil and maybe dry hop amd u good to go

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Here are my tasting notes on the Miami Weisse:

Slight sour aroma.  Like a hint of lemon juice.  Nice mouth watering sourness.  Not too strong though.  You could have have a session of these beers.  Sour after-taste lingers.  You can taste a maltiness to it.

The Berliner Weisse I kegged on Friday tastes more sour.  However, that could be because the sourness in the Berliner Weisse is not competing against the fuller flavour of the Miami Weisse.

12 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Cheers

Phil

KB05281 35L BZ Berliner Weisse Recipe Kit.pdf 2.16 MB · 4 downloads

Quite interesting-sounding brew. I can get wai-iti hops too. What is the grain bill?

I might give it a bash

1 hour ago, stquinto said:

Quite interesting-sounding brew. I can get wai-iti hops too. What is the grain bill?

I might give it a bash

From the Kegland recipe on Brewfather:

Strong Berliner Weisse - Miami Weisse

KegLand Australia - Oli

Strong Berliner Weisse Style

5.3% / 12.8 °P

Punch this Philly Sour at 30C to get maximum lactic acid production. Add fruit, flavours however you roll. More exotic, more MIAMI CHICA!

Provided by

image.jpeg.5454ebf66706e15a429b7ec4d5f4ce17.jpeg
@kegland

All Grain

BrewZilla / RoboBrew 35L

70% efficiency

Batch Volume: 21 L

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 21.63 L

Sparge Water: 7.22 L

Total Water: 28.85 L

Boil Volume: 25.92 L

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.052

Final Gravity (Adv): 1.012

IBU (Tinseth): 14

BU/GU: 0.26

Colour: 6.7 EBC 

Mash

Mash — 65 °C  60 min

Mash Out — 75.6 °C  15 min

Malts (4.96 kg)

2.48 kg (50%) — Barrett Burston Pale Malt — Grain — 3.9 EBC

2.48 kg (50%) — Barrett Burston Wheat Malt — Grain — 3 EBC

Other (350 g)

350 g — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 EBC

Hops (100 g)

50 g (14 IBU) — Wai-iti 3% — Boil  30 min

50 g — Wai-iti 3% — Dry Hop  3 days

Miscs

6.6 ml — Phosphoric Acid 85%  Mash

0.5 items — Whirlfloc  Boil  15 min

Yeast

22 g — Lallemand (LalBrew) Philly Sour 75%

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

From the Kegland recipe on Brewfather:

Strong Berliner Weisse - Miami Weisse

KegLand Australia - Oli

Strong Berliner Weisse Style

5.3% / 12.8 °P

Punch this Philly Sour at 30C to get maximum lactic acid production. Add fruit, flavours however you roll. More exotic, more MIAMI CHICA!

Provided by

image.jpeg.5454ebf66706e15a429b7ec4d5f4ce17.jpeg
@kegland

All Grain

BrewZilla / RoboBrew 35L

70% efficiency

Batch Volume: 21 L

Boil Time: 60 min

Mash Water: 21.63 L

Sparge Water: 7.22 L

Total Water: 28.85 L

Boil Volume: 25.92 L

Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.046

Vitals

Original Gravity: 1.052

Final Gravity (Adv): 1.012

IBU (Tinseth): 14

BU/GU: 0.26

Colour: 6.7 EBC 

Mash

Mash — 65 °C  60 min

Mash Out — 75.6 °C  15 min

Malts (4.96 kg)

2.48 kg (50%) — Barrett Burston Pale Malt — Grain — 3.9 EBC

2.48 kg (50%) — Barrett Burston Wheat Malt — Grain — 3 EBC

Other (350 g)

350 g — Briess Rice Hulls — Adjunct — 0 EBC

Hops (100 g)

50 g (14 IBU) — Wai-iti 3% — Boil  30 min

50 g — Wai-iti 3% — Dry Hop  3 days

Miscs

6.6 ml — Phosphoric Acid 85%  Mash

0.5 items — Whirlfloc  Boil  15 min

Yeast

22 g — Lallemand (LalBrew) Philly Sour 75%

Looks interesting. 2 questions:

What's the phosphoric acid for? Just for souring?

Why 2 packs of Philly Sour? Is it cool fermented?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Looks interesting. 2 questions:

What's the phosphoric acid for? Just for souring?

Why 2 packs of Philly Sour? Is it cool fermented?

Hi AK, This is the Kegland recipe from Brewfather.  I did delete their recommended salt additions because they were for reverse osmosis water.  I figured most people would not use reverse osmosis water, so that detail was not overly relevant.  Anybody else brewing, who adjusts their water profile would work it out for themselves.  Anybody who does not adjust their water, would not worry about it at all.

Good question about the phosphoric acid.  6.6ml seems like a fair bit.  Maybe it is to help out with the sourness.  I sometimes use lactic acid.  I have never used more than about 3ml and my pH readings, 10 minutes into the mash, are about 5.4.  I have not tested the pH in the finished beer.  When I did my version of the Miami Weisse, I used 175g of Acidulated Malt in the mash instead of lactic acid.  On that occasion, my mash pH was 5.2.

On the Philly Sour question, I used 2 packets of Philly Sour because that is what the recipe said.  The Lallemand website suggests a pitch rate of 50 - 100g/hL, which is 11.5g to 23g for a 23 litre wort.  Or 1 - 2 packets for 23 litres of wort.  This brew is not cold fermented.  The recommended temperature for this brew is 30°C.  I did it at 25°C. 

By the way, why don't yeast companies just quote their pitching rates as 0.5g/L - 1g/L as their pitching rate? What's with the Hectolitres?

• Like 3

Finally got the new kegerator up and running - son in law gifted me another second hand fridge which will now store the extra kegs. He's got the priorities right. 😂 Although I think there will be fridge tax in the coming months.294114156_3273913496174200_7876258382254531922_n.thumb.jpg.a7b0a9a7cb58b9b693055a0cde7622f3.jpg

Kegland Hazy pale ale FWK - smells beautiful

1404250368_294123779_1146029829277803_2707266465721059934_n(1).thumb.jpg.f17e338451c9f8542929f999a6737abb.jpg

293951338_569251064691637_7736162867846870226_n.thumb.jpg.b9f4968d44d0ef0f4ab52649d642c685.jpg

Hazy pale ale

• Like 3
  • Haha 1