Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

Samuel Adams Boston lager clone going into the keg. Commando dry hopped this brew and I will give that away after the problems I had on the transfer with the floating dip tube clogging. I had to clear the dip tube a few times with CO2 back through the liquid post on the fermenter, I gave up at approx 17l into the keg but a little extra headspace in a keg is OK.

2027e.JPG

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Commando dry hopped this brew and I will give that away after the problems I had on the transfer with the floating dip tube clogging. I had to clear the dip tube a few times with CO2 back through the liquid post on the fermenter, I gave up at approx 17l into the keg but a little extra headspace in a keg is OK.

I am surprised you got clogging.  I assume you cold crashed.  Cold crashing usually gets the hops sinking to the bottom without issues.  Only 60-70 grams of dry hops in a batch of Sam Adams Boston Lager.

• Like 2

Yeah 70g hops in the dry hop, and yes it was cold crashed. Transferred fine until about 16l and then I had clogging. I did a forensic examination of the kegmenter post transfer and the amount of crud in the bottom of the kegmenter was a lot and obviously caused the blockages. I have some of those SS hop ball things and I may try them next time, the ones that you can hang from the lid of a corny keg. I could also use a hop sock, etc, but I like the RAPT pill reporting SG and I worry what effect any of these methods may have on that.

• Like 4

TURNING UP PSI ON CO2 CYLINDER -  PROCEDURES

I have had my Real Ale in a keg for a week at 10psi for a week & I had a sneaky taste last night & it was well & truly under carbed.

I have increased the psi to 25 - I am thinking for 24 hours to speed up carbonation.

Can you please correct me if I am wrong in re-setting the psi  back to 10psi.

1. Disconnect the keg from the gas.

2. Burp the keg to release pressure.

3. Turn the regulator back to 10psi.

4. Lift the release valve on the gas cylinder ( green button ) to re-set pressure.

5. Re-connect the keg to the gas. 

In between remembering what Hoppy told me & further research suggests this would be OK.

Much appreciated if some of you kegging pundits could respond.

Cheers & thank you.

Phil 🍻

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

TURNING UP PSI ON CO2 CYLINDER -  PROCEDURES

I have had my Real Ale in a keg for a week at 10psi for a week & I had a sneaky taste last night & it was well & truly under carbed.

I have increased the psi to 25 - I am thinking for 24 hours to speed up carbonation.

Can you please correct me if I am wrong in re-setting the psi  back to 10psi.

1. Disconnect the keg from the gas.

2. Burp the keg to release pressure.

3. Turn the regulator back to 10psi.

4. Lift the release valve on the gas cylinder ( green button ) to re-set pressure.

5. Re-connect the keg to the gas. 

In between remembering what Hoppy told me & further research suggests this would be OK.

Much appreciated if some of you kegging pundits could respond.

Cheers & thank you.

Phil 🍻

Yep, that’s pretty much what I do. Just I turn off the gas before resetting and burping the regulator, then turn it back on. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep, that’s pretty much what I do. Just I turn off the gas before resetting and burping the regulator, then turn it back on. 

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

This should read lift the release valve on the MK4 regulator.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Yeah 70g hops in the dry hop, and yes it was cold crashed. Transferred fine until about 16l and then I had clogging. I did a forensic examination of the kegmenter post transfer and the amount of crud in the bottom of the kegmenter was a lot and obviously caused the blockages. I have some of those SS hop ball things and I may try them next time, the ones that you can hang from the lid of a corny keg. I could also use a hop sock, etc, but I like the RAPT pill reporting SG and I worry what effect any of these methods may have on that.

That's one advantage that PET pressure fermenters have:  You can see where the dip tube is drawing from and tilt the FV and deepen the beer level so that the end of the tube is not drawing from the trub.  I can get at least another litre of clean beer that way.  In your case fermenting a bit more volume will achieve the same outcome, volume wise.

I have dry hopped (in a Chux cloth) with my iSpindel in the beer and it does not seem to change the ability of the iSpindel to report correctly.  I imagine that the RAPT Pill will be similar.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Keggin the Amber Sparkly - n AWA went into fresh FV - will stir up slurry from AS and bring across...

The AS FV was just a bit too filthy to go another run... so instead using new FV and bringing yeast across : )

image.thumb.png.4012ad698f314564c7702bf6e7b72a52.png

• Like 5

After almost 3 weeks cold crashing it's time to keg the Duvel. I intended to keg 4 litres or so in a small keg and 18 in a cornie. I took inspiration from you fellas @Shamus O'Sean for the FV to keg transfer too 👍

Big block of ice in the middle 🤨

Have to defrost the bugger now, so I'll be finishing tomorrow. Anyway, it tastes pretty good, with a FG of 1.006 giving me 8.66°

It'll need to clear a bit but it's better tasting than the one I tried bottling - adding F2 yeast for the bottle carbonation. I'm not sure what malt I used - it was defo a pilsner, but it seemed to have too much body, and was a touch darker.

It's actually an easy brew. Admittedly a step mash, but with the software that's dead easy. One type of pilsner malt (I can't find Belgian here, but I just got a 25kg sack of special light pilsner at 3 EBC), and sugar, dextrose or candi syrup. I used a pack of MJ41 and one from the trub of a previous brew, and it tastes fine so far.

Next time I'm going to do the real cheapo - no bothering with the candi syrup - see if table sugar is OK (plenty or recipes have it). 

1222114515_duveltransfer.jpg.935e8307121e78b4a18e23c8c5a1d14b.jpg1133012932_duveltester.jpg.07a085890ba4df922a5b1bcacfe0ae0d.jpg

Edited by stquinto
typo
  • Like 8

17 hours ago, stquinto said:

After almost 3 weeks cold crashing it's time to keg the Duvel. I intended to keg 4 litres or so in a small keg and 18 in a cornie. I took inspiration from you fellas @Shamus O'Sean for the FV to keg transfer too 👍

Big block of ice in the middle 🤨

Have to defrost the bugger now, so I'll be finishing tomorrow. Anyway, it tastes pretty good, with a FG of 1.006 giving me 8.66°

It'll need to clear a bit but it's better tasting than the one I tried bottling - adding F2 yeast for the bottle carbonation. I'm not sure what malt I used - it was defo a pilsner, but it seemed to have too much body, and was a touch darker.

It's actually an easy brew. Admittedly a step mash, but with the software that's dead easy. One type of pilsner malt (I can't find Belgian here, but I just got a 25kg sack of special light pilsner at 3 EBC), and sugar, dextrose or candi syrup. I used a pack of MJ41 and one from the trub of a previous brew, and it tastes fine so far.

Next time I'm going to do the real cheapo - no bothering with the candi syrup - see if table sugar is OK (plenty or recipes have it). 

1222114515_duveltransfer.jpg.935e8307121e78b4a18e23c8c5a1d14b.jpg1133012932_duveltester.jpg.07a085890ba4df922a5b1bcacfe0ae0d.jpg

It is an easy brew, and if you use the correct ingredients, easy but very rewarding.

Yours looks like the perfect colour. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, stquinto said:

I took inspiration from you fellas @Shamus O'Sean for the FV to keg transfer too 👍

Glad to be inspirational 😁

Kegged my Stella Artois clone a couple of nights ago.  Follow the links back for the recipe.  My concerns with the fast ferment in one of the Fermenter King Juniors seems unfounded.  The samples tasted fine.

IMG_3028.JPG.37b115352050dd135040ec93d5362026.JPG

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Kegged

Shamus Cobber @Shamus O'Sean how many Litres/kilos do you squeeze into the Corny routinely?

I probably should bite the bullet and buy a set of those scales... last time I did overfill... unfortunately there was not enough humidity to help with the condensation line on the slow fill...  having the weight there would be very good to keep track of the fill like you do : )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Shamus Cobber @Shamus O'Sean how many Litres/kilos do you squeeze into the Corny routinely?

I probably should bite the bullet and buy a set of those scales... last time I did overfill... unfortunately there was not enough humidity to help with the condensation line on the slow fill...  having the weight there would be very good to keep track of the fill like you do : )

Hi IP, I stop at around 18.2 litres. I do not know how much I could squeeze into each keg. I did overfill one once, before I was using the scales.  By the marks on the FV, that keg had about 18.5 litres in it.  But that keg also has a slightly longer gas dip tube.

I also use the scales to weigh out my grains.  Plus to check volume going into fermeters.  I reckon I use them once a week on average.  Very handy.  They're about $50 at Kegland and other places.

• Like 3

I finally picked up my whiz bang fridge for my kegs. Gave it a thorough cleaning this morning and plugged her in. Plonked a piece of plywood and an old wire fridge shelf down to protect the glass shelf underneath. It should fit 5 x 8 litre kegs and the tank without any issues.

At the moment I'm just running with a 2.6kg CO2 bottle and thinking of continuing this way. If I go to 6kg I'll have to remove the shelf but this will also remove some extra storage for cans or other items.

I now also need to get some T pieces for my gas line to create a manifold system so I can carbonate more than one keg at a time.

Very pleased with this bargain buy. It has a huge freezer too so we can stock up on specials of meat, ice cream etc. without worrying if we have enough storage for them.

IMG20220710152902.jpg

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 8

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I finally picked up my whiz bang fridge for my kegs. Gave it a thorough cleaning this morning and plugged her in. Plonked a piece of plywood and an old wire fridge shelf down to protect the glass shelf underneath. It should fit 5 x 8 litre kegs and the tank without any issues.

At the moment I'm just running with a 2.6kg CO2 bottle and thinking of continuing this way. If I go to 6kg I'll have to remove the shelf but this will also remove some extra storage for cans or other items.

I now also need to get some T pieces for my gas line to create a manifold system so I can carbonate more than one keg at a time.

Very pleased with this bargain buy. It has a huge freezer too so we can stock up on specials of meat, ice cream etc. without worrying if we have enough storage for them.

IMG20220710152902.jpg

Wow Muzzer, that's great, what a nice fridge & a bargain too. I guess the Pluto Tap system would be the order as I can't see you wanting to drill through that bad boy. Also the advantage of all of the extra space. 

I see the Bierhaus Growler in there also, mine's full ATM & I will be getting a a few more, what great units.

Another step closer to the old Buggs'y hole 🐇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Wow Muzzer, that's great, what a nice fridge & a bargain too. I guess the Pluto Tap system would be the order as I can't see you wanting to drill through that bad boy. Also the advantage of all of the extra space. 

I see the Bierhaus Growler in there also, mine's full ATM & I will be getting a a few more, what great units.

Another step closer to the old Buggs'y hole 🐇

Hi Phil. I'm not sure if you remember the story behind the fridge but I got it for $200 from my buddy who didn't know it had a thermostat control in the freezer. He was p155ed off because his ice cream was always soft and bought a brand new fridge to fix the problem. It was only on emptying the contents of this fridge into the new one he discovered the thermostat control in the freezer was on the warmest setting and this was why his ice cream was always soft.🤣
Oh yes, the growler. I can't see me getting another one but it's nice to now have a fridge it can stand up in. I had to lie it down in the old bar fridge.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

Hi Phil. I'm not sure if you remember the story behind the fridge but I got it for $200 from my buddy who didn't know it had a thermostat control in the freezer. He was p155ed off because his ice cream was always soft and bought a brand new fridge to fix the problem. It was only on emptying the contents of this fridge into the new one he discovered the thermostat control in the freezer was on the warmest setting and this was why his ice cream was always soft.🤣

Yes I do remember the post, at least you managed to get a good deal & are happy with it, that's all that matters.

The newer the fridge the less power they use ( we are told )  It's hard for a home brewer to keep the old power bill down when you have your regular Kitchen Fridge, Beer/Bar Fridge/Fermenting Fridge/Keg Fridge & of course everything else you need in this day & age. But I love it all so as I am a bachelor I just deal with it but some of you guy's I expect come under scrutiny from SWMBO.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Oh yes, the growler. I can't see me getting another one but it's nice to now have a fridge it can stand up in. I had to lie it down in the old bar fridge.

The Growlers I find are perfect for AG Brewing especially if you are using the no chill method & cube it into a 20l cube.

There is always enough brew when you have up to 19l in the Corny for the fridge & end up with a Growler & usually a couple of bottles for Ron.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yes I do remember the post, at least you managed to get a good deal & are happy with it, that's all that matters.

The newer the fridge the less power they use ( we are told )  It's hard for a home brewer to keep the old power bill down when you have your regular Kitchen Fridge, Beer/Bar Fridge/Fermenting Fridge/Keg Fridge & of course everything else you need in this day & age. But I love it all so as I am a bachelor I just deal with it but some of you guy's I expect come under scrutiny from SWMBO.

The power bill isn't an issue at this point in time (see photo).☀️⚡💰😁

As for the cheese and kisses, she wouldn't know if we have $10 or a million dollars. I'm the frugal one in our household. I'm a man of simple tastes and I'm not very image conscious so I'm loathe to blow money on stuff we won't get value from. 

IMG_20220707_070340.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

The power bill isn't an issue at this point in time (see photo).☀️⚡💰😁

As for the cheese and kisses, she wouldn't know if we have $10 or a million dollars. I'm the frugal one in our household. I'm a man of simple tastes and I'm not very image conscious so I'm loathe to blow money on stuff we won't get value from. 

IMG_20220707_070340.jpg

Good old Solar.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

IMG20220710152902.jpg

Fantastic Muzzy, glad you got it all sorted.

I know nothing about Keg's, just wondering, could you put the gas bottle in Crisper?? 

Enjoy, Cheers 🍻

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DavidM said:

Fantastic Muzzy, glad you got it all sorted.

I know nothing about Keg's, just wondering, could you put the gas bottle in Crisper?? 

Enjoy, Cheers 🍻

Thanks David.
I don't know a lot about kegging myself but I believe it's not advisable to lie the tanks down. Apparently the gas is liquified and can seep into the regulator and stuff it up if you do.

• Like 2