Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

1 hour ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Is this the one ?

Duotight Inline In Line Regulator - With integrated gauge for water or gas - 8mm (5/16" Push In)

I also noticed one without the gauge.

Duotight Inline In Line Regulator - With integrated gauge for water or gas - 8mm (5/16" Push In)

Hi Classic.  Yes they are the ones I used.

I think the ones without a built in gauge would still need a gauge somewhere in the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Hey all, quick question. What do you guys and gal's do with the beer lines in the kegerator while they're not in use? I've been leaving Sanitizer in them until I hook up another keg. Is this the correct process? Or do some here flush the sanitiser out with water before hooking the keg up? First pour once the new keg is hooked up has sanitiser in it Yes?? Sorry for the lamo Q's by the way. I probably won't be taking the rest of the day off. 

Hey Mick and @Classic Brewing Co

I leave sanitiser in the line.  It is rarely more than a week or two before I get another keg hooked up.  I do rinse the outside of the disconnect and the push-in connector.  When sanitiser dries on the outside, it can concentrate the acid and damage some push-in connectors.

You are right that the first pour has sanitiser in it.  I just tip the first glass.  It is usually pretty cloudy from yeast that has settled in the bottom of the keg anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Mick and @Classic Brewing Co

I leave sanitiser in the line.  It is rarely more than a week or two before I get another keg hooked up.  I do rinse the outside of the disconnect and the push-in connector.  When sanitiser dries on the outside, it can concentrate the acid and damage some push-in connectors.

You are right that the first pour has sanitiser in it.  I just tip the first glass.  It is usually pretty cloudy from yeast that has settled in the bottom of the keg anyway.

Thanks SOS, very much appreciated - I'm pretty sure Phil's going to give you the rest of the day off.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Hey all, quick question. What do you guys and gal's do with the beer lines in the kegerator while they're not in use? I've been leaving Sanitizer in them until I hook up another keg. Is this the correct process? Or do some here flush the sanitiser out with water before hooking the keg up? First pour once the new keg is hooked up has sanitiser in it Yes?? Sorry for the lamo Q's by the way. I probably won't be taking the rest of the day off. 

I generally flush with warm water  then run sanitizer and leave the sanitizer in there

flushing the sanitizer with water your undoing  your good work  

so just leave it in there   the beer will push the sanitizer out  when your ready to have beer   just put a jug or container and just wait until you get that gold liquid coming out.  you wont lose much beer  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

so just leave it in there   the beer will push the sanitizer out  when your ready to have beer   just put a jug or container and just wait until you get that gold liquid coming out.  you wont lose much beer  

Thanks Oz mate, I won't be changing the routine - duly noted. So is now the time to admit to having swallowed a mouthful of beer with sanitizer in it from a first pour. 🤣

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Is this the one ?

I also noticed one without the gauge.

Yep. If you have one of them connected to each of the manifold ports, you can crank the main regulator up to 40psi or so and regulate the individual kegs to what they need. More for something like a Hefe Weizen and less for a porter or stout. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aussiekraut said:

Yep. If you have one of them connected to each of the manifold ports, you can crank the main regulator up to 40psi or so and regulate the individual kegs to what they need. More for something like a Hefe Weizen and less for a porter or stout. 

That's awesome, thanks for the info, they have just gone on the list, just another rung or so down the Bug's Bunny hole 🐇 🤣

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Our kitchen fridge died overnight so now my beer fridge is full of food. Kegged an Amber Ale FWK which is jammed in my little fermenter fridge. 

20220807_122643.jpg

I like the way you squeezed the freezer space "out of the way" to fit a Keg.

Very creative..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Just after a little advice on a Commando style dry hop and how that might affect kegging....ie; hop matter blockage in the dip tube etc.

I suggest be careful @Mickep

I think it is fraught with disaster but then again I might be a bit conservative on this front?

I would suggest that a hop sock would be a better idea mate... I realise Commando is more effective for releasing the wonderful flavours and aromas but it has so many other issues later on...

I guess you can always get a floating off-take with a Stainless Steel Screen etc... but I don't reckon you want that hop material remaining in your beer long term - that just my own take on things 🤔

Hopefully I am not being too much of a Debbie-Downer but reckon it's not such a great thing all pros n cons tallied up... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Just after a little advice on a Commando style dry hop and how that might affect kegging....ie; hop matter blockage in the dip tube etc.

Mick I have done it a couple of times with a Coopers Pale Ale & Real Ale with k &K's & kegged them, I haven't had any problem but I only used 50gm for the dry hop. It would or could depend on the type of hop & how much used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Can you cold crash? That usually settles most things out. I've never had an issue in the keg after dry hopping commando and cold crashing. Not to say it doesn't happen at all, it just hasn't been my experience. 

If you can't cold crash, I'd probably contain them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Popo said:

Can you cold crash? That usually settles most things out. I've never had an issue in the keg after dry hopping commando and cold crashing. Not to say it doesn't happen at all, it just hasn't been my experience. 

Yeah I would second that, I forgot to add CC in my post & when I did it, everything was nicely packed in the bottom so no unwanted's went in the keg.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I can cold crash Popo, thanks for the feedback mate.....In the end I'll probably stick to containing the hops in the dry hop I guess. Although love to give Commando a go......I'm leaning toward getting a couple of food grade SS containers from SSZ brewery - 13.00 bucks each - not bad value I guess - I was more worried about infection and the like because of my aging hop bags I'd purchased ages ago are looking tattered......

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

worried about infection and the like because of my aging hop bags I'd purchased ages ago are looking tattered.....

Re Infection -- mate @Mickep If they - your aging hop bags - are properly sterilised - I do my best to remove any hop detritus - and then boil mine - I reckon you should be just fine using the old fellas...  sometimes old can be good ; )

Plus hop matter is fairly anti-microbial and does not construe to additional input of microbial infection IMHO but always good to have clean sterile kit in brewing.  I do also have SS mesh hop tube thing but dunno whether it lets that much through the SS mesh... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Mickep mate, for what it's worth I use floating balls inside my kegs with a filter on the end.

image.png.4e2bfaa03d72b7d1f1bffa9fd45332aa.png

As for dry-hopping, if your socks are looking a bit iffy you can use those tea-bags for loose-leaf tea. I stapled then afterwards. Might get a bit rusty but nothing too poisonous (so far...)

• Like 2

Keg cleaned and sterilised and Liquid Post replaced (kept jamming on taking the liquid line on and off despite replacing the little o-ring n keg lube -- and plenty cleaning... not sure what is going on there) and now the steady-steady Oxy Free transfer with the Pale Mozzie heading into the deep dark cool world of the Keggler and Keg Freezer for a bit of chill time and gas-on-up ; )

... and eventually all going well serving 😋

image.thumb.png.fd51105e0db8a17ce82a142fbba2713c.png

And once the transfer is done - aim to backfill across the new Ale that is now at temp in the SS Vessel nearby 👍

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been waiting for some other items to come back in stock at Kegland before placing an order but the one thing I really needed arrived and is now in operation. The T piece for my gas line which allows me to carbonate two kegs at once.

Thanks must go to the guru, @Shamus O'Sean for this affordable solution. Before his tip I thought I was going to need manifolds and other hardware. 💰💰

I've also added another CO2 bottle and extra tapping heads to the brewery plant. Now just need to build beer stock levels up a bit and the move to kegs is starting to look a bit rosier.

IMG_20220810_115757.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I've been waiting for some other items to come back in stock at Kegland before placing an order but the one thing I really needed arrived and is now in operation. The T piece for my gas line which allows me to carbonate two kegs at once.

Thanks must go to the guru, @Shamus O'Sean for this affordable solution. Before his tip I thought I was going to need manifolds and other hardware. 💰💰

I've also added another CO2 bottle and extra tapping heads to the brewery plant. Now just need to build beer stock levels up a bit and the move to kegs is starting to look a bit rosier.

IMG_20220810_115757.jpg

Good one Muzzy, glad to hear it's working out for you, I am about to order 2 more kegs & a few other accessories.

Kegging is a real advantage once you get everything working for you.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Kegging is a real advantage once you get everything working for you.

Yeah, being a novice I found things a bit awkward at first but I'm working out a routine that is streamlining things now. Like when making a brew it's either kegged only or bottled only. I started out doing half and half and it was just too laborious switching over. And now I have the gas line splitter I won't have to wait so long for kegs to carb up.
Also part of the inefficiencies I didn't foresee was the smaller 8 litre kegs run out pretty quickly. I'm glad I got them because of their low pricing but if I could have my time over again I'd probably choose cornies.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, being a novice I found things a bit awkward at first but I'm working out a routine that is streamlining things now. Like when making a brew it's either kegged only or bottled only. I started out doing half and half and it was just too laborious switching over. And now I have the gas line splitter I won't have to wait so long for kegs to carb up.
Also part of the inefficiencies I didn't foresee was the smaller 8 litre kegs run out pretty quickly. I'm glad I got them because of their low pricing but if I could have my time over again I'd probably choose cornies.

True enough but I am here to tell you 19l Cornie's don't last too long either, well not at Classic Brewing Co. 🤣

• Haha 6