Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

On 7/26/2022 at 5:58 PM, Aussiekraut said:

This is what they call a bad idea. Didn’t want to turf the disconnect but should have left more line on it. Put a full 2.6kg gas bottle into the freezer, connected two kegs to it and emptied it overnight. Stupid me 😡 How does one remove those clamps? 

13E31B0E-F0BB-4B99-A4ED-CDD18461A013.thumb.jpeg.f29f004695900c27dbbae9fd94eb187a.jpeg

Ok, seems this wasn't the issue after all. The duotight connector at the regulator wasn't screwed in properly and that seems to be where gas leaked out. When I connected the re-filled bottle and opened the tap, I could hear it hiss. Tightened it and all seems fine now. I will keep the bottle turned off though, just in case 🙂 

• Like 6

15 hours ago, stquinto said:

A quick question for keggers out there @Aussiekraut @ozdevil @kmar92 and others I might have missed mentioning the product: is the kegerator series X any good? I’m tempted, have to do a 16 hour round road trip to get one mind…. Just wondering?

Cheers!

I have had mine for 2 years now and I have had no problems with it. As @Aussiekraut has mentioned they can make some weird noises at times and they are not quiet. They do look good, although that is not much for me. Yes if you get the option go for the 4 font tower.

I would caution you as they are made to a price, the refrigeration stuff and the build reflect that. I have heard of many people not getting much of a life out of them before failing, but in fairness that is not my experience so far.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

KEGGING DAY FOR COOPER'S PALE ALE

I am kegging the Pale Ale been in FV for 14 days, I can't wait to get 2 beers on tap, then eventually 4.

I also got a 2l Growler & 3 x 450ml Grolsch Bottles.

20220730_111057.jpg

20220730_113524.jpg

20220730_120811.jpg

How much do you prime your growler with Phil?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, stquinto said:

A quick question for keggers out there @Aussiekraut @ozdevil @kmar92 and others I might have missed mentioning the product: is the kegerator series X any good? I’m tempted, have to do a 16 hour round road trip to get one mind…. Just wondering?

Cheers!

they are good  i am on my 2nd one  , my 1st one broke down   and i am thinking of  getting that looked at.    

however  though aslong as you follow  the recommendations   on these by leaving 100mm gap  on sides and back to allow air flow

they can be noisy  specially if the  fridge is empty i find even when storing the empty kegs when empty  keeps them a bit quiter.

i have mine not far from the living room  and i hardly hear iit and my partners computer sits right next to the kegerator and she dont complain

if you go the 4 tap font  make sure you have skinny arms   as it can be difficult to screw the font in as the screws go inside the font unlike the 1,2 and 3 tap font

Also make sure  like AK said get more line then you need as short lines are pain  as you can cut back with long lines

Also before switch on   assemble 1st  and get beer line tidy's   that can stick to the roof of the kegerator to keep ya beer and gas lines nice and neat and out of the way

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AK, Phil, Kmar92, Oz, IP, thanks for all the advice fellas ….

Good to find put about the noise. Mine would be in a room behind the garage so that doesn’t matter. The amount of time they last is more significant though. 
Maybe IP’s chest freezer is an idea - a mate said he’d have one going when he moves. He’s been saying that for 6 months though 😉

Because I’m getting the unit in Belgium I’m a bit stuffed if something went wrong with it. 
Hmmmm…

The basic problem with my existing setup is I can only hold 2 cornies or maybe 3 ten-litre kegs. It would be fine for a cold-crashing fridge - I couldn’t use it as a fermenting fridge as half of it is a freezer so it couldn’t keep going on and off with an inkbird controller. 

Maybe if I snagged a delivery slot for Westvleteren I might go on a beer pilgrimage and bring the kegerator back  🤣

Edited by stquinto
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

AK, Phil, Kmar92, Oz, IP, thanks for all the advice fellas ….

Good to find put about the noise. Mine would be in a room behind the garage so that doesn’t matter. The amount of time they last is more significant though. 
Maybe IP’s chest freezer is an idea - a mate said he’d have one going when he moves. He’s been saying that for 6 months though 😉

Because I’m getting the unit in Belgium I’m a bit stuffed if something went wrong with it. 
Hmmmm…

The basic problem with my existing setup is I can only hold 2 cornies or maybe 3 ten-litre kegs. It would be fine for a cold-crashing fridge - I couldn’t use it as a fermenting fridge as half of it is a freezer so it couldn’t keep going on and off with an inkbird controller. 

Maybe if I snagged a delivery slot for Westvleteren I might go on a beer pilgrimage and bring the kegerator back  🤣

I am sure you will work something Stquinta, there are a few options available, I think the main reason I decided on using the old fridge was the fact it has been going strong since 1990, it was my parents & I have been using it for a brew fridge for years.

The Belgium beer would cost you more than the Kegerator !! 🤣

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, stquinto said:

Maybe IP’s chest freezer is an idea - a mate said he’d have one going when he moves. He’s been saying that for 6 months though

Chest freezers are great to build into keezers and will give you many options depending on the size you may be able to get upto 8 taps in a decent size keezer.

The only concern i have with these units your pretty limited to what kegs you can put in them due to weight.   i am not saying you have 50 l kegs  , but  i would not be wanting to lift  and place  in keezer  @ 50 kgs  its a big lift and when you go to place it inside  the shere weight can  nearly rip ya arms off if you lose control of it.   even when  placing 19 litre kegs into a keezer  can still be back breaking.
Some use  a small hoist. to lift into keezers.

This is 1 reason why i didn't build a keezer  is having to lift up and over  knowing  each time its putting a strain on the old back
the 2 reason is i dont have the room for a Keezer.

Other then this  Keezer can be gold specially if you a brewing heaps  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, stquinto said:

Ask him @stquinto if he needs a hand to pack up and get his stuff loaded? 🥳

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

even when  placing 19 litre kegs into a keezer  can still be back breaking.
Some use  a small hoist. to lift into keezers.

That is definitely @ozdevil a very good point Ozzie - for the time being I am getting away with it - but can see it may be an issue in the future.  A mate up north has the freezer in the shed and has a hoisty thing set up to lift and transfer the full kegglers into the box.  Getting them out once empty is fine - but full fellas are pretty heavy.  Very good point mate 👍

• Like 3

I have shown this type of picture before, but thought I would post this one as a reminder about using free CO2 from a ferment to purge kegs of oxygen.

Some brand new kegs, on loan from my brother in law.  Cleaned, rinsed, seals lubed and sanitised wherever I can get to.

Each keg was then filled to the brim with sanitiser.  Now purging the sanitiser using the free CO2 from a current brew fermenting in the background.

• Gas out from pressure fermenter to gas in of sanitiser full keg.
  • Beer out from sanitiser full keg to beer out of empty keg - Empty keg MUST be able to vent (I just leave the lid off)
  • In about 30-60 minutes, all the sanitiser will transfer to the empty keg and the purged keg will only contain CO2

IMG_3122.JPG.4a71083c3e3616c56b18c4355f9e4595.JPG

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:
  • Gas out from pressure fermenter to gas in of sanitiser full keg.
  • Beer out from sanitiser full keg to beer out of empty keg - Empty keg MUST be able to vent (I just leave the lid off)
  • In about 30-60 minutes, all the sanitiser will transfer to the empty keg and the purged keg will only contain CO2

Yeah that's cool @Shamus O'Sean SOS luvyerwork mate!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am impressed with the Keg Land 4 Output / 4 Way Manifold Gas Line Splitter with Check Valves (1/4" thread, 6mm Barb)

I kegged a Pale Ale yesterday & already had a beer in 1 keg & I turned the tap of to allow me to fast carb the it overnight @ 40psi - it's not quite there but my point is it was a breeze to simply turn the lever back on  to allow gas in the other keg & bingo I poured a beer just like that - a wonderful invention.

4 Way Output Gas Line Manifold Splitter with Integrated Check Valves

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Getting them out once empty is fine - but full fellas are pretty heavy.  Very good point mate

Depending on what's over head, a simple block and tackle should take the strain out of lifting

or the full Hoist..

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Depending on what's over head, a simple block and tackle should take the strain out of lifting

or the full Hoist..

not many have that option David   i know my landlord would have a fit if he seen hoists and block and tackles running through out the house lol

but ya right they make easir work of it

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Stickers said:

hey phil @Classic Brewing Co, do you know what screws were used on your drip tray? i've finally gotten around to getting one myself

I think i just used mushroom head self tapper screws mate, can't remember the exact size sorry.

9 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Howdy Mate, @Hoppy81 does he drilled the holes, I am sure he would share, if he doesn't I won't give him another beer 🤣

Them fighting words 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/31/2022 at 5:08 PM, Classic Brewing Co said:

I am impressed with the Keg Land 4 Output / 4 Way Manifold Gas Line Splitter with Check Valves (1/4" thread, 6mm Barb)

I kegged a Pale Ale yesterday & already had a beer in 1 keg & I turned the tap of to allow me to fast carb the it overnight @ 40psi - it's not quite there but my point is it was a breeze to simply turn the lever back on  to allow gas in the other keg & bingo I poured a beer just like that - a wonderful invention.

4 Way Output Gas Line Manifold Splitter with Integrated Check Valves

You could put little inline regulators on each line and you don't even have to turn any of them off if you want to fast carb a beer over night 🙂 

Ok, I'll shut up 🙂 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

You could put little inline regulators on each line and you don't even have to turn any of them off if you want to fast carb a beer over night 🙂 

Ok, I'll shut up 🙂

Yes I think it was your set-up that I saw, impressive, once I get my other 2 x kegs & a spare or two I will investigate that idea as it sounds logical. Cheers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, I'll shut up 🙂 

Is this the one ?

Duotight Inline In Line Regulator - With integrated gauge for water or gas - 8mm (5/16" Push In)

I also noticed one without the gauge.

Duotight Inline In Line Regulator - With integrated gauge for water or gas - 8mm (5/16" Push In)

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 3

Hey all, quick question. What do you guys and gal's do with the beer lines in the kegerator while they're not in use? I've been leaving Sanitizer in them until I hook up another keg. Is this the correct process? Or do some here flush the sanitiser out with water before hooking the keg up? First pour once the new keg is hooked up has sanitiser in it Yes?? Sorry for the lamo Q's by the way. I probably won't be taking the rest of the day off. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Mickep said:

Hey all, quick question. What do you guys and gal's do with the beer lines in the kegerator while they're not in use? I've been leaving Sanitizer in them until I hook up another keg. Is this the correct process? Or do some here flush the sanitiser out with water before hooking the keg up? First pour once the new keg is hooked up has sanitiser in it Yes?? Sorry for the lamo Q's by the way. I probably won't be taking the rest of the day off. 

That's all right Mick I need to find out a bit about it too so I will hang in the waiting to see what you find out. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1