Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've been waiting for some other items to come back in stock at Kegland before placing an order but the one thing I really needed arrived and is now in operation. The T piece for my gas line which allows me to carbonate two kegs at once.

Thanks must go to the guru, @Shamus O'Sean for this affordable solution. Before his tip I thought I was going to need manifolds and other hardware. 💰💰

I've also added another CO2 bottle and extra tapping heads to the brewery plant. Now just need to build beer stock levels up a bit and the move to kegs is starting to look a bit rosier.

IMG_20220810_115757.jpg

Welcome to the Dark Side Luke 🤣 

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, being a novice I found things a bit awkward at first but I'm working out a routine that is streamlining things now. Like when making a brew it's either kegged only or bottled only. I started out doing half and half and it was just too laborious switching over. And now I have the gas line splitter I won't have to wait so long for kegs to carb up.
Also part of the inefficiencies I didn't foresee was the smaller 8 litre kegs run out pretty quickly. I'm glad I got them because of their low pricing but if I could have my time over again I'd probably choose cornies.

its good to see you having a crack at kegging muzzy  ,  atleast if you decide to go cornies at somepoint you have the basics all sorted out

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Sitting waiting for me in Belgium in my mate’s house. Hopefully her hubby won’t get stuck in 😳

7E7AB265-ADDA-44A1-A919-8F622ECB0BCC.jpeg

D1043E7F-A084-49B5-A19B-D3F7B8F7C490.jpeg

Very impressive @stquinto. I wish that I was closer to give you a hand with those bad boys when you get them home!

• Haha 3

On 8/10/2022 at 12:57 PM, MUZZY said:

I'm glad I got them because of their low pricing but if I could have my time over again I'd probably choose cornies.

Hey Muzzler, An alternative to cornies are these PET pressure fermenters from Keg King.  They also have opaque ones too.  Each holds 20 litres.  They have ball lock posts and a PRV.

IMG_3160.JPG.dae034e0f48e862a906751c205269a27.JPG

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey Muzzler, An alternative to cornies are these PET pressure fermenters from Keg King.  They also have opaque ones too.  Each holds 20 litres.  They have ball lock posts and a PRV.

IMG_3160.JPG.dae034e0f48e862a906751c205269a27.JPG

Shamus, are you deliberately trying to send me further down the rabbit hole?🤣

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Shamus, are you deliberately trying to send me further down the rabbit hole?🤣

Only suggesting a more gentle descent.  Brand new corny kegs are at least $100 each.  They will last a lifetime.  These PET jobbies cost me $25 each.  They were seconds at Keg King.  I had to pick them up in person.  However, if you phoned them, they might be able to put a couple in the post for you. 

They will not last a lifetime.  Maybe only a few years.  But as a way to try kegging, at a lower investment threshold, they are good value.  As a bonus, you can use them as pressure fermenters, as I am in the photo.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

An alternative to cornies

Hey @RDT2 RD I think that @Shamus O'Sean SOS has left us behind in his beautiful fridge shelf - you with your "Best Practice" use of those XXXX Gold tinnies and me with some tupperware -- holding up the keg in the Brew Fridge : )

Very nice neat and tidy set-up @Shamus O'Sean SOS - mate a quick qn - are those plazzi kegglers a fairly firm wall - stiff material - or are they as thin as KL's pressure fermenters?

And can you get your hand in there to do any cleaning or just use some sort of pressure washing and Perc?

Tx mate

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Hey @RDT2 RD I think that @Shamus O'Sean SOS has left us behind in his beautiful fridge shelf - you with your "Best Practice" use of those XXXX Gold tinnies and me with some tupperware -- holding up the keg in the Brew Fridge : )

Very nice neat and tidy set-up @Shamus O'Sean SOS - mate a quick qn - are those plazzi kegglers a fairly firm wall - stiff material - or are they as thin as KL's pressure fermenters?

And can you get your hand in there to do any cleaning or just use some sort of pressure washing and Perc?

Tx mate

Yeah he’s starting to show off a bit now, it’s ok I’ll counteract with a couple more xxxx’s under the hood!

• Haha 4

Thanks to the Festive Clever Brewers on this site - the neat and tidy FV - Keg Transfer... Thank you 🙂

Here the Choccy Wocc... hopefully to be gassed up w the Nitro Beergas all going well 👍

The only one thing - yer don't wanna be in a hurry ; )

image.thumb.png.cea6122036c7a445be032db4fd1757c1.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Nar IP.  The Fermenter King Juniors from Keg King have pretty soft walls.  Probably about the same as the Kegland pressure fermenters.

A 5 year old could probably fit their hand inside the opening.  I usually soak mine upside down with enough Oxysan cleaner and water to submerge the Krausen line.   I leave them soak overnight.  Everything comes off.  Then upside down on my Kegland Bucket Blaster for 15 minutes with the same Oxysan cleaner.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

I would ditch the spunding valve.  Even if it is set on zero, it will still restrict how quickly the keg can vent.  Just use a gas disconnect with nothing on the end of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Thanks to the Festive Clever Brewers on this site - the neat and tidy FV - Keg Transfer... Thank you 🙂

Here the Choccy Wocc... hopefully to be gassed up w the Nitro Beergas all going well 👍

It appears your oven has gone full scramjet mode which you’ve pushed well over Mach Ten! 🤣(Can you tell I’ve finally watched topgun) Was the ejector seat propelled by festive nitro gas canisters on standby???

Edited by RDT2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

It appears your oven has gone full scramjet mode

Haha funny @RDT2 the grumbly RE Agent was mumbling in a somewhat negative way about the state of the faceplate too... and I am going like - fit for purpose - all it has been used for is what it was designed to do...

Suspect they might replace it when they finally throw me out of here ; )

I think the severity of the maillard reactions on the faceplate has been associated somewhat with its time flat-out when I do Bread or Pizza which requires halfer flat out to warm the Dutch Oven up as well yeeeehaaa! 😋

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Haha funny @RDT2 the grumbly RE Agent was mumbling in a somewhat negative way about the state of the faceplate too... and I am going like - fit for purpose - all it has been used for is what it was designed to do...

I think the severity of the maillard reactions on the faceplate has been associated somewhat with its time flat-out when I do Bread or Pizza which requires halfer flat out to warm the Dutch Oven up as well yeeeehaaa! 😋

Well you could line the front with a length of foil while cranking it up otherwise break out the White King 🤣

That seems what they normally do, a mate of mine was given notice to vacate recently as the landlord had just done a complete reno including a new oven, he was wrapped until he was told the rent was going up or move out, what a prik.

• Thanks 1

On 8/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

I am with @Shamus O'Sean on the spunding valve, it will make a difference to the speed of transfer if you remove it. I know that you like it as a 1 way valve but you will not get any O2 back through the gas post side as you fill, it is all 1 way traffic.

• Like 2

Kegged my Oktoberfest last night.  Sorry no photos.

This was the third and last "dirty batch" re-use of the MJ Diamond Lager yeast.  It did feel good to finally clean the fermenters after four batches.

OG 1.051 to FG 1.012 for 5.1% ABV

This is the first time in ages I have not had a spot ready in the kegerator.  The 1.5 kegs will sit in the garage for a little while.  Not a bad thing for a lager.  However, it will not lager for long.  There is only about 1.3 litres left in my Samuel Adams Boston Lager keg.

• Like 2