Coopers Community

It's Kegging time 2022

iBooz2

14 hours ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

@Classic Brewing Co Phil - once you have done your AG Brew/or good qual KnK in the FV - and then want to transfer to the Keg - this is only for Kegging - then you should consider strongly using this methodology that @kmar92 KMar describes above - and that @Shamus O'Sean SOS posted some time ago - and put me onto - that works with Coopers Plazzi FV - not the filthy klfzilla thing necessarily - just with the good old tried and true Coopers Plazzi - and will allow you to do pretty much a clean oxygen free transfer - would highly recommend it.

@Shamus O'Sean can you post the link to your earlier standard anoxic contam free Coopers Plazzi transfer to keg post that you did a while ago - please?

Would be good for us right now and for all punters who use kegs to at least consider such opportunities!

Yeah I am understanding it a whole lot clearer now so thanks for that, I have all of the equipment necessary to do that.

It does make a lot of sense. 👍

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah I am understanding it a whole lot clearer now so thanks for that, I have all of the equipment necessary to do that.

It does make a lot of sense. 👍

Anyway @Hoppy81 Hoppy the King of Three Chins Brewing will be able to provide you with a bit of liquid line, some disconnects and a spundly... or just do the Shamus Gas Disconnect with a bit of cut off hose on a gas disconnect to release the gas pressure as the beer comes into the keg...

Honestly @Shamus O'Sean SOS direct transfer from Coopers Plazzi is the biz - thanks Shamus!

And thanks for re-posting... I find it hard to find my way back to old postings on this site sorry.

@Classic Brewing Co Phil get Hoppy to get you the bits - it is not a big cost and mate you will be very happy to have it in place Cobber.

Cheers for now

IP

Edited by Itinerant Peasant
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Anyway @Hoppy81 Hoppy the King of Three Chins Brewing will be able to provide you with a bit of liquid line, some disconnects and a spundly... or just do the Shamus Gas Disconnect with a bit of cut off hose on a gas disconnect to release the gas pressure as the beer comes into the keg...

Honestly @Shamus O'Sean SOS direct transfer from Coopers Plazzi is the biz - thanks Shamus!

And thanks for re-posting... I find it hard to find my way back to old postings on this site sorry.

@Classic Brewing Co Phil get Hoppy to get you the bits - it is not a big cost and mate you will be very happy to have it in place Cobber.

Cheers for now

IP

Hey IP thanks for taking the time to help, I am sure we can get this sorted, he is probably going to see this thread before he comes down. It is a wonderful privilege to get expert advice from the guru's from the AG/Kegging world so thank you.

My whole experience with this new avenue on brewing is becoming increasingly exciting & costly 😬 but we do what we do, strive for the best result possible & reap the benefits of a wonderful pastime.

I wouldn't & couldn't go back to opening cans & mixing with water & calling it beer - so far away from the real thing.

• Like 3

So first oxygen free transfer tonight. I connected gas as I didn't want any hassles to start with. All went smooth so next time I'll try Shamus gravity method. Also had a sample of my stout before kegging. It's blackened up lovely after the cold crash. The brown colour must've been yeast in suspension. It's a very tasty tasty stout already. 

20220609_211028.jpg

20220609_204747.jpg

• Like 11

She's in an kegged. She's delivered the Midnight Oil. All grain stout.

4 kilo of Weyerman Pale. 300 grams of Gladfeild choc. 300 grams Gladfeild Roast . 200 grams of wheat. 

Bittered with Super Pride to 45 ibus.  Easily change that out with POR. But only bittering. No hops involved in this beer bar bittering. 

It's the closest to Coopers Stout I've ever tasted.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, Pale Man said:

20220609_211028.jpg

Nice work Paley.  Did you get any issues with foaming in the keg?  I understand that the blowtie is supposed to suppress the foam, but I do not know if it works.

Also, on your tasting, who said a Stout has to age.  I reckon they are very drinkable at day 0.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice work Paley.  Did you get any issues with foaming in the keg?  I understand that the blowtie is supposed to suppress the foam, but I do not know if it works.

Also, on your tasting, who said a Stout has to age.  I reckon they are very drinkable at day 0.

Yep @Shamus O'Sean had a little bit of foaming, the only reason i knew it was there i decided to burp at 40 psi because im paranoid. Wasnt much but i gather i can avoid that if i gravity fill as your method next time. 

And yes, i was pleasantly surprised how good this stout is straight out of the fermenter. The all grain gods have been kind to me lately.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Yep @Shamus O'Sean had a little bit of foaming, the only reason i knew it was there i decided to burp at 40 psi because im paranoid. Wasnt much but i gather i can avoid that if i gravity fill as your method next time. 

One of the good things with gravity flow is that it is slow.  So it is not likely to foam up.  However, I have not successfully done a closed transfer with a brew fermented at 15psi because I was not doing it properly.  The couple of times I did it, I connected the gas line too quickly to the FV's gas in post.  This had the effect of stalling the beer in the beer out dip tube and slowing the transfer to a dribble. 

I have a 15psi pressure fermented brew at the moment that I will try a closed transfer on.  Hopefully it works.  Undoubtedly I will post about it on here.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

One of the good things with gravity flow is that it is slow.  So it is not likely to foam up.  However, I have not successfully done a closed transfer with a brew fermented at 15psi because I was not doing it properly.  The couple of times I did it, I connected the gas line too quickly to the FV's gas in post.  This had the effect of stalling the beer in the beer out dip tube and slowing the transfer to a dribble. 

I have a 15psi pressure fermented brew at the moment that I will try a closed transfer on.  Hopefully it works.  Undoubtedly I will post about it on here.

Was the failed transfer done via a siphon method?

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

And yes, i was pleasantly surprised how good this stout is straight out of the fermenter. The all grain gods have been kind to me lately.

transferring at 40 psi is far to quick  only need about 5 psi  to push the wort  max 10psi it may well be slow but your not foaming the beer up.    

Slower the better when transferring  with co2

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ozdevil said:

transferring at 40 psi is far to quick  only need about 5 psi  to push the wort  max 10psi it may well be slow but your not foaming the beer up.    

Slower the better when transferring  with co2

I didnt transfer at 40 psi

On 6/8/2022 at 7:05 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

This is how I do a closed transfer (closed loop oxygen free). 

• Atmospheric pressure in the keg
  • 15psi in the fermenter
  • Connect beer line to beer out post of fermenter
  • Connect gas line to gas out post of keg
  • Connect the beer line to the beer out post of keg
  • Count to 10
  • Connect the gas line to the gas in post of the fermenter 

The 15psi makes the beer flow into the keg in the first place

The count of 10 allows time for enough beer to go into the keg and cover the bottom of the beer out dip tube.  This is important because if you connect the gas line to the gas in post of the FV too soon, the flow will slow to a trickle or even stop.

Once you connect the gas line to the gas in post of the fermenter, you will hear the gas pressure equalise.

Somewhat amazingly, the syphon effect takes over and the beer keeps flowing from the FV into the keg.  The syphon effect works whether you are at normal air pressure or still under pressure.  When the gas pressure equalises, you probably have somewhere between 5 -10 psi between the FV and the keg.

The scales are so I can monitor the flow by the weight increasing and I also know when the keg is just about full.

You can do it like you did Squinter, with CO2 to push the beer out and an open ended gas out on the keg.  But that unnecessarily uses up more gas.  It is probably quicker though.  But you do not want the transfer to be too quick if your beer is already carbonated becasue it will froth up in the keg and come out the gas in before the keg is full of liquid.

Just on this again fella ( sorry to be a PITA )

I'm gathering this wont work with the little filter supplied with the Fermzilla?

Kegged a pale ale today. Big dry hop. Last version was a ripper but this one has some astringency/extra bitterness. Not stoked at the moment. It's for a bit of a get together we are having in a couple of weeks time. 

It had a decent cold crash but hopefully some sitting in the keg will magic it better.

IMG_20220611_165133.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Kegged a pale ale today. Big dry hop. Last version was a ripper but this one has some astringency/extra bitterness. Not stoked at the moment. It's for a bit of a get together we are having in a couple of weeks time. 

It had a decent cold crash but hopefully some sitting in the keg will magic it better.

IMG_20220611_165133.jpg

Always mellows after a couple of weeks my man. You know that more than me. Will be a different and matured beer in two weeks.

• Like 1

On 6/8/2022 at 5:54 PM, Itinerant Peasant said:

@Classic Brewing Co Phil - once you have done your AG Brew/or good qual KnK in the FV - and then want to transfer to the Keg - this is only for Kegging - then you should consider strongly using this methodology that @kmar92 KMar describes above - and that @Shamus O'Sean SOS posted some time ago - and put me onto - that works with Coopers Plazzi FV - not the filthy klfzilla thing necessarily - just with the good old tried and true Coopers Plazzi - and will allow you to do pretty much a clean oxygen free transfer - would highly recommend it.

@Shamus O'Sean can you post the link to your earlier standard anoxic contam free Coopers Plazzi transfer to keg post that you did a while ago - please?

Would be good for us right now and for all punters who use kegs to at least consider such opportunities!

So far nothing wrong with the Keg Land Fermzilla my man. Its actually a massive step up on what i'm used to. A breeze to use and clean, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about it. 

Look i'll give it 4 or 5 ferments before i really report my thoughts, but so far so bloody good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

So far nothing wrong

Yeah I should woulda coulda got same as yours but fool me took the supplier LHBS advice and bought the double bunger - with the silly pot down the bottom - and the seals associated with that - that setup it ain't good.  Great that it is working for you @Pale Man 

But in general I would prefer the SS version and not the plazzi with its sealing methodology - and certainly not the double bunger... anyway yeah good if it's working for you for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

Yeah I should woulda coulda got same as yours but fool me took the supplier LHBS advice and bought the double bunger - with the silly pot down the bottom - and the seals associated with that - that setup it ain't good.  Great that it is working for you @Pale Man 

But in general I would prefer the SS version and not the plazzi with its sealing methodology - and certainly not the double bunger... anyway yeah good if it's working for you for sure. 

Yep yep i'm getting you. I just went the all rounder. If you're careful not to overtighten the fittings and use food grade lube on all of them. I'm no expert by a long shot, thats why i've asked about your experience. I try to find a way to improve my beers every time. Its the Holy Grail for me. My heritage stipulates life is too short to drink rubbish beer. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Itinerant Peasant said:

And yes my ultimate is a pressure stainless steel fermenter. The minister of finance will be in cold shock if i wanted it now. So ill ease into it.

Or you could go down @Hoppy81  train of thought........its better to ask for forgivness than permission.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

So far nothing wrong with the Keg Land Fermzilla my man. Its actually a massive step up on what i'm used to. A breeze to use and clean, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet about it. 

Look i'll give it 4 or 5 ferments before i really report my thoughts, but so far so bloody good.

I love the BrewZilla, OK I have only done 2 brews, but there has been so much help & support from this forum & back up help with phone calls/SMS/PM's & now I feel like I totally understand the thing & want to crank it up ASAP.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I love the BrewZilla, OK I have only done 2 brews, but there has been so much help & support from this forum & back up help with phone calls/SMS/PM's & now I feel like I totally understand the thing & want to crank it up ASAP.

Its all better and onwards and up from here Phil.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Its all better and onwards and up from here Phil.

Yeah & the beer tastes awesome even if you do st... up a bit, I still can't believe the actual difference in the overall structure of it/body/head retention etc after a short time & so far me me that's only been in bottles, pretty soon I will be able to keg one of my AG brews.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Yeah & the beer tastes awesome even if you do st... up a bit, I still can't believe the actual difference in the overall structure of it/body/head retention etc after a short time & so far me me that's only been in bottles, pretty soon I will be able to keg one of my AG brews.

When you nail an all grain, its so satisfying that you actually made that beer. I'm not one to go into extract v all grain.  Extract beers are delicious too. 

The satisfying thing is you see the process from go to whoa. You feel like a mini brewhaus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2