Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

4 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I haven’t brewed one yet but your talking me into it, is it recommended to get a separate fermenter for Saisons or can you use the same one for normal beers.  

Hey mate, *not a saison guru but have brewed a few*

I would recommend trying a commercial version first (if you haven't already). I like them but they can be divisive - my mates are not so keen on them. A full batch is a lot is saison if it's not your thing.

I use the same gear. I did get gushing bottles once early on though. You'll need to give everything a solid clean after brewing and drinking. I use star san and one usually but am pretty cautious and do a double clean with star san and then iodophor if I have done a saison. It's the diastaticus strains that are the problem as far as I know.

Edited by Popo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, Pale Man said:

I'm excited for this one. Gladfield Ale and Hort SMASH.

Nice and simple and should be very tasty. Thursday all going well. 

Hort Ale..PNG

on my  short drive of 1000kms yesterday  i was actually  thinking of doing something very similar to this brew using Hort 4337

how did this all go? in the end

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Hey Greeny or any other Saison gurus just in regard to Saisons, 

I use the same FV and have not had an issue.

Belle Saison can be very, umm, overwhelming.
MJ's Saison - whatever it is - tends to be significantly mellower in flavour.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

I use the same FV and have not had an issue.

Belle Saison can be very, umm, overwhelming.
MJ's Saison - whatever it is - tends to be significantly mellower in flavour.

+1. Use the same fermenter for saisons and other Belgian yeasts classed as diastaticus and other than the odd bottle that over attenuated i have not had an issue. Never had a full batch go diastaticus and that's just with a sodium  percarbonate clean and starsan spray. As Ben has said for me the belle flavour or a touch more is good. The funkiest you will get is WY3724 which is Dupont. I am not really a massive fan of that as its too funky. My favourite is WY3726 which is about the same as belle in funkiness but gives a spicy type flavour which I prefer. I did run with a WY3724 and belle blend for a couple of years which was awesome. About halfway between them both. Some of the best beers  I have made. Starting off on saisons I'd go belle.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/2/2021 at 7:52 PM, Pale Man said:

I'm excited for this one. Gladfield Ale and Hort SMASH.

Nice and simple and should be very tasty. Thursday all going well. 

That'll make a nice beer. I used to make it as a SMASH but then started replacing some of the pale malt with Vienna. A simple but yummy and an easy drinker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Popo said:

I would recommend trying a commercial version first (if you haven't already). I like them but they can be divisive - my mates are not so keen on them. A full batch is a lot is saison if it's not your thing.

Thanks Popo excellent advice✅ I have tried it before, probably should try it again on a clean/dry palate as I had a few that day and wasn’t completely sold if my memory serves me correctly. Might have to ask the brewery what yeast they used if they will. I will probably do a small batch if I do one to start with👍

Cheers 🍻 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

+1. Use the same fermenter for saisons and other Belgian yeasts classed as diastaticus and other than the odd bottle that over attenuated i have not had an issue. Never had a full batch go diastaticus and that's just with a sodium  percarbonate clean and starsan spray. As Ben has said for me the belle flavour or a touch more is good. The funkiest you will get is WY3724 which is Dupont. I am not really a massive fan of that as its too funky. My favourite is WY3726 which is about the same as belle in funkiness but gives a spicy type flavour which I prefer. I did run with a WY3724 and belle blend for a couple of years which was awesome. About halfway between them both. Some of the best beers  I have made. Starting off on saisons I'd go belle.

Thanks Greeny for the reply particularly about the types of Saison yeast appreciate it. I will try a few commercial versions to avoid any heartbreak of tipping 20 litres of beer on the front lawn😭 although my neighbour says he will drink anything🤣. I am running on homebrew after a stocktake last night so a good excuse to try some commercial versions✅

cheers

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, RDT2 said:

I am running on homebrew

Just back after c. 400km drive to fetch malted grain.... certainly the last few hours I was running on AG Brew... the thought of the beer at the end of the drive ; )

• Haha 1

Brew Day watchagot... nothing yet sorry Brewskis... but this should assist at the next juncture that the Stainless Steel Vats come out I should think wadjareggin? 

It's nice to buy local... but a big fat bag of Weyermann Pils is also a beautiful thing 😀

image.thumb.png.9fbc0a731087ac3c843357070f7a7b1a.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

Second version of my True Blue Pale Ale today.  Had a glass or three of the first version (only been in the keg 4 days) after I got this one in the FV and cleanup done.

Was damned impressed.  The biggest difference I can see straight away from AG brew is the head and head retention.  Nice tight foamy bubbles like a fresh whipped meringue.  Very happy with the taste test and will work on this recipe as my "House Ale" for the time being.

Still took 6 hours from go to whoa but working on the processes and getting used to the new AG kit. Tried to hit my target mash pH  (5.56) after a lot of homework on water chemistry but the measurements taken during the mash at both 15" and 30" in on the new pH meter were the same at 5.8 so close but no cigar!

True Blue Pale Ale ver 2.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Popo said:

Well I tried a Saison DuPont tonight and shared it with the wife I enjoyed it and so did she👏

Have you tried this one or has @Green Blob @Greeny1525229549 If you could let me know the funk factor for this beer as far as Saisons go cause I think I will do a batch 

cheers

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Well I tried a Saison DuPont tonight and shared it with the wife I enjoyed it and so did she👏

Have you tried this one or has @Green Blob @Greeny1525229549 If you could let me know the funk factor for this beer as far as Saisons go cause I think I will do a batch 

cheers

I...

Am...

Mmm...

Too scared.  Lallemand Dry 11.5g Belle lives in the fridge.

I live in fear.

But it does seem that Belle Saison is the easiest crusiest...  to begin with ; )

Mmm - yes and my dissertation was purely regarding the yeast to be chosen 🙂

To brew with... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Graubart said:

I...

Am...

Mmm...

I live in fear.

But it does seem that Belle Saison is the easiest crusiest...  to begin with ; )

To brew with... 

That was the yeast I was eyeing off as well for a Saison but there are so many different beers to make and hops to try I’m like a kid in a Lollie shop. I am low on beer stocks at the moment but heaps of grain ready to mash. I also want to try kveik so I might get some of that as my fermentation fridge has a beer in it and let it go in my small fermenter in the garage on a fruity neipa 🤤

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, RDT2 said:

Don't recall, but if you like that make one.

Keep Belle cool ish at the start then let it run, first one I made with t hat yeast was too much.
Go simple, 4 kg grain, pale n wheat, 20 ibu of whatever hop, fruity or noble. And enjoy a dry, crisp, yummyy beer.

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Graubart said:

Brew Day watchagot... nothing yet sorry Brewskis... but this should assist at the next juncture that the Stainless Steel Vats come out I should think wadjareggin? 

It's nice to buy local... but a big fat bag of Weyermann Pils is also a beautiful thing 😀

image.thumb.png.9fbc0a731087ac3c843357070f7a7b1a.png

I do not think you got enought hops.😄

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Graubart said:

I...

Am...

Mmm...

I live in fear.

To brew with... 

Why ya scared 😂

ive got my saison with this yeast in the FV for another few days then it will go to keg. You might wanna re think that yeast sitting in ya fridge 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RDT2 said:

cheers

Well if you like that you like funky. Dupont is made with the WY3724 yeast. I find that too funky for my taste and the yeast is a bit of a pain. It will stall on you although some have had it not stall by open fermenting. I tried a couple of times with that method and it still stalled. It will finish if you raise the temp but might take 3 or 4 weeks.

You can manipulate the funkiness using the ferment temp. Like @Green Blob has said i think a start low and ramp up method works best.

If I was to rate Dupont I'd give it 8/10 for funkiness. You could get belle up to that by ramping it up to the mid to high 20s or early 30s. If you do it say to mid 20s you will get a 6/10 funkiness. If you use WY3724 and ramp it right up it will get to a 10/10 funk factor. Too much for me. About a 7/10 is about my level.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Don't recall, but if you like that make one.

Keep Belle cool ish at the start then let it run, first one I made with t hat yeast was too much.
Go simple, 4 kg grain, pale n wheat, 20 ibu of whatever hop, fruity or noble. And enjoy a dry, crisp, yummyy beer.

Thanks very much for your reply and  good advice again I will do as you say and keep it simple will definitely make one now🙏

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Well if you like that you like funky. Dupont is made with the WY3724 yeast. I find that too funky for my taste and the yeast is a bit of a pain. It will stall on you although some have had it not stall by open fermenting.

If I was to rate Dupont I'd give it 8/10 for funkiness. You could get belle up to that by ramping it up to the mid to high 20s or early 30s. If you do it say to mid 20s you will get a 6/10 funkiness. If you use WY3724 and ramp it right up it will get to a 10/10 funk factor. Too much for me. About a 7/10 is about my level.

Thanks again you confirmed everything and gave excellent advise I read that about 3724 so I think I will start with lallemand Belle with the ramping technique as you described. 

I will do a 15 litre batch and see what happens fingers crossed 🤞 

thanks again this home brewing just doesn’t stop there is always something new to try 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

not think you got enough hops

Haha Gold SOS!!!

Yeah got a few stashed in the refridgie-rator.... see below... and a cuppla kilos of Chinook and Columbus in Freezer... Swags of Col and Chin that I am not quite sure what to do with as they seem to be down on floral tones and generate lots of bitterness... any ideas welcome ; )

image.thumb.png.879a4846cef1f88d716634ea5becdabd.png

• Like 1