Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

58 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Where did you get the grain?

Where do you get yours from in general @Hairy ?

I used to get a bit from Rusty P in the beginning but that was sorta was limited to what they had and were happy to sell on at the time... do they still sell grain to us HB fellas?

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Where do you get yours from in general @Hairy ?

I used to get a bit from Rusty P in the beginning but that was sorta was limited to what they had and were happy to sell on at the time... do they still sell grain to us HB fellas?

I’m not sure if RP do it any more.

My last few orders of 25kg bags have been from Beer Co in Melbourne. Great service and cheap delivery, especially if splitting it with someone. Smaller quantity stuff I tend to get from Pat at Absolute Homebrew.

I might try Mountains Brewing Supplies next time as they often do bulk buys of Gladfield malts. Support someone local(ish).

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I’m not sure if RP do it any more.

My last few orders of 25kg bags have been from Beer Co in Melbourne. Great service and cheap delivery, especially if splitting it with someone. Smaller quantity stuff I tend to get from Pat at Absolute Homebrew.

I might try Mountains Brewing Supplies next time as they often do bulk buys of Gladfield malts. Support someone local(ish).

Thanks @Hairy mate!!

That is great to know - I did not know of MBS - looks very useful - thanks mate!  I can cop driving to Hazelbrook haha! 

(Tho it is nice to buy Aussie made to support Aussie farmers 😉)

I have probs got a cuppla hundred kilos in stock now plus specialty malts from CPB so should be ok for a bit and in readiness for the next Covid Rebound...  😛

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Thanks @Hairy mate!!

That is great to know - I did not know of MBS - looks very useful - thanks mate!  I can cop driving to Hazelbrook haha!

I have probs got a cuppla hundred kilos in stock now plus specialty malts from CPB so should be ok for a bit and in readiness for the next Covid Rebound...  😛

Join Western Sydney Brewers Facebook group (if you are on FB) and you will see when the bulk buys, hop sales etc. come up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Some okay looking prices there for base malts @Hairy Hairy ; )

Nice work.  Mmm.... but I need to work through my current inventory first haha!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RDT2 said:

so I think I will start with lallemand Belle with the ramping technique as you described. 

thanks again this home brewing just doesn’t stop there is always something new to try 🤔

Yeah I think belle is great. Flavoursome. Quick. No fuss. I'd try that first but if you like it get your hands on some WY3726. For a pure strain its the ducks IMO. 

Yeah always something new. After almost 6 years of homebrewing I'm still learning and trying new things. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah I think belle is great. Flavoursome. Quick. No fuss. I'd try that first but if you like it get your hands on some WY3726. For a pure strain its the ducks IMO. 

Yeah always something new. After almost 6 years of homebrewing I'm still learning and trying new things. 

Thanks went to the brew shop today picked up some lallemand Saison yeast today and Styrian Golding and will give it crack can’t wait to be honest🤣 I will try the 3726 if this works out thanks a lot for your help👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Graubart said:

Yeah got a few stashed in the refridgie-rator.... see below... and a cuppla kilos of Chinook and Columbus in Freezer... Swags of Col and Chin that I am not quite sure what to do with as they seem to be down on floral tones and generate lots of bitterness... any ideas welcome ; )

I did a nice beer a little while ago - Coopers Schooner.  Ella for the main bittering and Chinook, Columbus and Cascade late and dry.  I quite liked it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey All 
Just about to brew this creation  in my 35l brewzilla   and the brew is a West Coast Ipa

Grain
5.22kg jw pilsner
0.35kg  carahell

Hops

25g warrior  60 min boil
30g Amarillo hopstand
30g centenial hopstand
30g Simcoe  dry hop Day 5
30g Columbus dry hop day 5

Adjunct
1 whirfloc tablet  5min boil

Yeast

2xpkg of Safale us- 05   or i am thinking of lallemend Bry 97

Starting gravity  will be 1.058
estimated final gravity 1.011
Abv  = 6.2%

https://share.brewfather.app/XdbgcvhQppVHTm

Cheers
ozdevil

Brewfather_ozdevfilswestcoastIPA_20210206.pdf

Edited by ozdevil
  • Like 3

A little Exbeeriment: The Bavarian, a slightly different Hefeweizen

3kg BB Wheat
1.5kg Best Malz Pilsener
0.8kg Vienna
200g light Crystal

25g Tettnanger @60 minutes
20g Mandarina Bavaria (whirlpool) @90C
30g Mandarina Bavaria dry hop 4 days, day 4

Mangrove Jack's M20 Bavarian Wheat 

60min mash @68.9, 60 min boil

TB.thumb.jpeg.e41f829dd05b766de798f8d1a72757a8.jpeg

• Like 4

Today's brew day:

@MitchBastard Mitch's Aussie Lager

849396004_MitchsAussieLagerRecipe.thumb.jpg.58dca3b9104b9ca050faabfc232da842.jpg

Actually ended up using Raw Sugar, instead of table sugar, for just a tiny bit more colour.

Also found out when I got home with my just purchased S-189 that it was best before 31/12/2020.  At least the LHBS kept it in a fridge.  Hence the starter with assumed starting cell count about 75% of fresh yeast.

pH was also way down: Predicted 5.38 / Measured 5.00

Used a plastic storage tub half full of ice and 10L of ice water to cool the wort down to 15-16°C.  Just small submerge pump pushing it through the counterflow chiller and back to the storage tub.  At its best the wort was coming out at 13°C, but wort flow had to be very slow to work well.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Shamus O'Sean nice stuff mate. Hope it goes well for ya. Slightly different hopping schedule to me but you arrive at the same point. 

will be interesting to see what the raw sug brings. I’ve considered it myself.

what temp you going to run the 189 at? 

do you sparge or full batch? pH would have risen if you sparge so it’s probably sitting bang on.  

Edited by MitchBastard

21 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

@Shamus O'Sean nice stuff mate. Hope it goes well for ya. Slightly different hopping schedule to me but you arrive at the same point. 

will be interesting to see what the raw sug brings. I’ve considered it myself.

what temp you going to run the 189 at? 

do you sparge or full batch? pH would have risen if you sparge so it’s probably sitting bang on.  

Thanks Mitch

I think you gave an IBU from the hops.  I just tried to work backwards using a flavour addition from the EKG last.  With the puny PoR 60 minute addition, I was thinking of levelling out the hop additions, but decided to leave it as I had worked it out.

I doubt I will be able to notice the raw sugar.  It just makes the liquid about 2 EBU's instead of zero.

Decided to go at 13°C with the S-189.  It has a small krausen now, about 18 hours after pitching.

I sparge, as I have done for all my Grainfather all grain brews.  My pH is usually within a point or two.  This time out by 0.4 and not in my target range of 5.2- 5.4.  I might have used too much acidulated malt.  On reflection, 150g is proportionally a little bit more than other pale ale type brews that I have done.

The brew certainly looked good in the kettle and the fermenter.  Nice and clean with a lovely golden colour. 

• Like 2

@Shamus O'Sean nice mate should turn out well then. From memory I use POR to get to about 15 and then the rest from EKG. It’s good to keep POR bittering under 20’as it’s a high cohumulone hop and tends to get a bit harsh above 20. I’ve done this recipe all as POR and it took about 4 weeks for the slight hop bite to settle back. 

I run the 189 at 16.5 just to get a touch of that slight tinny ester so it should be super clean at 13. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Something different today, sour raspberry wheat. Trying out the new Philly Sour Yeast.

Good luck with that one HH - will be nice to hear back how you perceive the end result... recipe looks good!

And I am sure that @Green Blob GB would approve haha !?!

I am a straight not sour haha - so would use W3068 haha...  not reached the sour excellence just yet in my brewing journey ; ) but admire those who take the challenge!!! 🙂

10 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Good luck with that one HH - will be nice to hear back how you perceive the end result... recipe looks good!

And I am sure that @Green Blob GB would approve haha !?!

I am a straight not sour haha - so would use W3068 haha...  not reached the sour excellence just yet in my brewing journey ; ) but admire those who take the challenge!!! 🙂

I've brewed this before with wb-06, did a split batch 10lt raspberry, 10 wheat beer. 

Thought I'd try something different to my usual APA, IPA & NEIPA. 

• Haha 1

Coopers English bitter 

English bitter tin 1.7 kg

Light Liquid Malt 1.5 kg

200 grams dextrose

20.5 litres OG 1.048

11.5 grams Nottingham yeast pitched at 24 degrees currently in cool water tub will bring it down to 20 not 18 want it to fire up and ferment by next weekend to cold crash in brew fridge once pilsner finished its CC. Will add some sort of EKG hop tea during next week.

This will be bottled in 500 ml amber grolsh bottles and will harvest the yeast slurry. Using old fv with cracked lid hence the tea towel to fill gap 😎

20210213_153438.jpg

20210213_162222.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 5