Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Really silly question - do you have to lift the bottom fermenter out of the fridge to bottle? My fridge will fit two fermenters in it but it's tight. I've a crook back and hoping there's a way around having to lift the bottom vessel out for the bottling process.

The good Brewers above have already come up with good ways to help out with solving this health and safety challenge... and then there is also @Titan Titan's idea (think you have one Titan?) of one of these lifter trolleys that you pump up with your foot...   you still have to get the FV out of the fridge and onto the trolley when the carrying plate is down.

An older mate of mine up north has rigged up an 'endless chain' off the shed rafters and a rig to lift FVs and kegs in and out of his brew/keg-freezer...  he can wheel the freezer around to come under the lifting point... not always available for all of us... 

image.png.5490624a88638b3caf79f7023348e621.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

@Graubart nah, needs more 😂😂

This is more like what we are chasing for tape usage @Shamus O'Sean hey Shamus?

image.thumb.png.f8047213683ea34c012b5fc26c25611b.png

To be found over @DeviantLogic at DL's thread:

https://community.diybeer.com/topic/15647-my-first-brew-diary-advice-and-comments-appreciated/?tab=comments#comment-232003

Great job DL - have you got shares in the Gaffer Tape industry?  

Just a running joke about how much tape punters use haha!

Good luck with your brew mate.

• Haha 3

Knocked up a Pilsner yesterday. Simple bill 100% Pilsner malt, saaz and tettnang. What was originally meant to make use of the Urquell strain, was subbed in with a 3L w34 starter as I couldn’t get the yeast I wanted. Never been overly impressed by the w34 but I think that’s due to my own doing. Gunna baby this one this time round. Already choofing away hard after 17hrs.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Get one of these Mick, or a stainless steel one which I have and they are great for bottling in these situations or out of those Bunnings drums which don't have a tap (or no tap fitted as no room for tap in fridge). I have a Brigalow bottling wand on the bottle end and it works a treat.

Cheers - AL

Plastic auto siphon.PNG

Brigalow Bottling kit.PNG

Awesome cheers IB thanks heaps

1 hour ago, Mickep said:

Mickep, forgot to mention a tip:  If you have two bottle filling wands, does not mater which brand you can fit one at one end and the other obviously at the other end of your tubing.  If you jiggle the one in your beer fast enough it will become and auto-siphon.  The one at the other end just stays obviously as a bottle filling wand.  The better bottle filling wands as mentioned above work much better as the auto-siphon part.  Hope that helps too.

Cheers - AL

Edited by iBooz2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/24/2021 at 11:18 PM, iBooz2 said:
On 1/24/2021 at 10:03 PM, Mickep said:

Mickep, forgot to mention a tip:  If you have two bottle filling wands, does not mater which brand you can fit one at one end and the other obviously at the other end of your tubing.  If you jiggle the one in your beer fast enough it will become and auto-siphon.  The one at the other end just stays obviously as a bottle filling wand.  The better bottle filling wands as mentioned above work much better as the auto-siphon part.  Hope that helps too.

Cheers - AL

Thanks Al, much appreciated.

Spent today knocking up a saison. Love a good, dry yeasty boy.  Last time this was brewed, was the first iteration and after a bit of self evaluation, tweaks were made and she’s onto round two. I ran the first batch at 30deg and while it certainly did fit the characteristics, I feel like it was too yeast dominant. Ramping down the temp a fraction to hopefully lift some of the spice, malt and those green grassy pellets we call hops, to balance out the two bags of belle i threw at it. 

come up two points short on my OG but that’s ok because last time it dried out 4 points further than predicted.

3A0342DC-D9FC-4E0A-BF69-2B825D78A9A8.jpeg

• Like 3

Recipe: Pacific IPA
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.067 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 73.2 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          58.3 %        2.28 L        
2.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          33.3 %        1.30 L        
0.50 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         3          8.3 %         0.33 L        
20.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop           4          19.7 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Eclipse [17.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           5          25.3 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           6          14.0 IBUs     -             
20.00 g          Amarillo [8.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           7          5.3 IBUs      -             
20.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min  Hop           8          8.9 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Voss Kveik (Omega #OYL-062)                      Yeast         9          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

Brew Day 1 this week as things have cooled down again ; )

Getting another Rye underway.... Voyager Veloria Schooner Malt, Rye, Vienna plus some Munich, Maris Otter and Wheat... the Rye is such a different grain... would have preferred a lighter base malt to go with the Rye but gotta use what I have in stock.. should be a nice brew ; )

image.thumb.png.d123b4959d91862df4ce8f87fc9d89eb.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 5

23 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Spent today knocking up a saison. Love a good, dry yeasty boy.  Last time this was brewed, was the first iteration and after a bit of self evaluation, tweaks were made and she’s onto round two. I ran the first batch at 30deg and while it certainly did fit the characteristics, I feel like it was too yeast dominant. Ramping down the temp a fraction to hopefully lift some of the spice, malt and those green grassy pellets we call hops, to balance out the two bags of belle i threw at it. 

come up two points short on my OG but that’s ok because last time it dried out 4 points further than predicted.

3A0342DC-D9FC-4E0A-BF69-2B825D78A9A8.jpeg

What size batch are you running? I thought the belle saison was a fairly vigorous strain, so I'm assuming it's a fairly large batch for you to pitch two packets? I'm also curious what temperature you are planning to run it at this time. I'm thinking about doing a saison with the danstar belle for my next brew and would be interested to hear any general thoughts or advice you have about brewing saison with this yeast.

On 1/22/2021 at 8:06 PM, Graubart said:

and use a potato masher to squeeze the last juice out... 

Hey GB, is this method not breaking the golden rule of BIAB or BIABasket in this case?  Read somewhere in John Palmer's bible this is a NO NO for BIAB.  Something about extracting too much harsh flavours from tannin's (sic) in husks etc.  Palmer says just let the bag or basket drain under the weight of the grain.  I give it 15" but maybe I am not going about this the most time efficient way.  What is your take on this given your experience?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey GB, is this method not breaking the golden rule of BIAB or BIABasket in this case?  Read somewhere in John Palmer's bible this is a NO NO for BIAB.  Something about extracting too much harsh flavours from tannin's (sic) in husks etc.  Palmer says just let the bag or basket drain under the weight of the grain.  I give it 15" but maybe I am not going about this the most time efficient way.  What is your take on this given your experience?

Hey Boozer!  Mate thanks for the post - and I shall have to look this up a bit more...  I believe there is the thing about very hot sparges stripping out tannins which may introduce some astringency... I boil the jug to 68 deg C or so and then pour on... and mash down... mmm and am just squeezing the drips out - to get the goodness out haha - and to help not make a mess prior to lift-out... but maybe I have been doing the wrong thing there too mate... all possible - I will study up a bit more.  Thanks for the suggestion mate.  Will research and get back to you - all good suggestions for continuous improvement opportunities at the Brewery are most welcome @iBooz2 Boozler!!!

But the practical experience so far is mate that all AG beer that has come out of the Bartler Brewery has been very tasty...  the only more severe tastes have come from like 250g of hop foolishness which has little to do with shenanigans prior to the boil hey ; ) 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I've read time and time again that squeezing is no problem and impossible to extract tannins. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I've read time and time again that squeezing is no problem and impossible to extract tannins. 

Ok - thank you - that's good - my practical experience says it is ok too...

I will still review Palmer (cos I can haha) to see what he might have to say...

But so far I don't think it has had any detrimental effects and it helps make less of a mess when I lift the basket out haha ; )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Ok - thank you - that's good - my practical experience says it is ok too...

I will still review Palmer (cos I can haha) to see what he might have to say...

But so far I don't think it has had any detrimental effects and it helps make less of a mess when I lift the basket out haha ; )

I do the same as you BB. I use the lid from a plastic 20 Litre bucket on top of my grain bed in the basket to push down and get out more goodness.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Hairy said:

John Palmer isn’t fully committed to the no-squeeze rule.

https://byo.com/article/biab-tips-from-the-pros/

Only saw this after @Pale Man PM's.... am always out of synch it seems 🙃

But yeah ok - don't squeeeeeze the black stuff too hard... 

And yeah - I dunno how efficacious my potato masher is anyway... but I might ease the squeeze when I am bringing on the black... how does that sound 😜

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goodness me and here I had thought the ol' Brew Day wadjagot was sliding off into retirement as it had gone awfully quiet and now it has turned into a hotbed of raging debate.... lovely stuff indeed!  Was a stalled ferment I guess and someone has shaken the Vat!?! 🥳  Thanks for that @iBooz2 Boozer... got things nicely fired up mate luvyerwork! 😆

• Haha 2

Thanks guys, all very good info and links,  I am reading my eyes out and trying to make sense of it all and it will come to me don't worry.  I am just a stoobudnoob when it comes to AG science but getting there thanks to all you blokes.😉

So a gentle squeeze it is from now on.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Thanks guys, all very good info and links,  I am reading my eyes out and trying to make sense of it all and it will come to me don't worry.  I am just a stoobudnoob when it comes to AG science but getting there thanks to all you blokes.😉

So a gentle squeeze it is from now on.

What is really great is that someone - whether new to the game or not - asking these questions - helps others learn... I did not know that my spent-grain mash squeezing habits were potentially a disgraceful brewing practice with potential to introduce excess astringency 🤪  This is new to me and I have learned a lot and found some new links (thanks @Hairy) to follow up on... that is the beauty of this forum!  Great stuff Brewers!

So much so I might even consider doing another brew tomorrow haha (cos I can and the weather is looking good 😆) but I promise to squeeze less... and mmm... is important as I plan to have some darker malts in there!  Woohoo!

Recipe: Berliner
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Berliner Weisse
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 4.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        0.98 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        0.98 L        
2.50 g           Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           3          4.8 IBUs      -             

Lallemand Philly Sour Yeast
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 3

@Green Blob GB - for your Ryes - what are your go-to hops in general.... I guess us free-brewing-spirits can use whatever we want.... but am interested to know whether there is a go-to hop spectrum you would utilise for a Rye Brew... given you have done plenty and it's one of your regulars.  Thanks mate.

5 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

American Pale Ale 

1.7 kg can Pale Ale, maris otter, carapils, wheat, LDME and 300g dextrose. Repitched M44. 
mosaic, citra, Amarillo, simcoe. 
Trying out the new (well second hand) brew fridge with inkbird. 

07F21535-9E98-4970-99A0-93A333C28198.jpeg

627C1852-C67D-465C-8ABA-E11E542A1D6C.jpeg

Nice 👌

• Thanks 1