Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

40 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Sounds good PM!  Good luck with your brew mate.

@Aussiekraut AK I think you are a Hort-iculturalist are you not?

I not had a crack at the Hort... what is so good about it Brewers?

I made my first AG single hopped with Hort. It was a special beer. The Hort seemed to impart a very florally tasty flavour. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Just curious.  Did you only boil for the 20 minutes?  It would seem to be okay to take that approach with modern grains if all you need is the time to extract bitterness and to kill nasties in the wort.

Total boil time was 30 mins which has been my practice for quite some time now.   I am not aware of any issue with shorter boil times and as I like to get as much hop-flavour goodness as I can I've steered away from the more conventional 1 hour bittering additions.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'm excited for this one. Gladfield Ale and Hort SMASH.

Nice and simple and should be very tasty. Thursday all going well. 

Hort Ale..PNG

4337 - also known as "Nectaron".   I've used it several times in Brit golden ales and it never disappoints.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

4337 - also known as "Nectaron".   I've used it several times in Brit golden ales and it never disappoints.

Thanks fella. Good to know the Hort isnt a one hit wonder. My first All Grain was 50% luck, 50% ingredients. And guidance from @Hoppy81

My 27 year old daughter doesnt drink beer. Said it was the best shes ever tasted.

I digress. I'll go back to a Hort hopped beer time and time again. It will probably be my staple beer. But so many to brew.

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Here's my simple task for this afternoon, I am going to do this without temp control - target is 20 degrees or thereabouts. I can't wait a few more days for the Coopers Australian Pale to finish in the fridge. My intention is to compare the 2 as they are similar brews. Besides we have to keep stocks up.  🍺 😄

20210203_121808 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi Guys,

Here's my simple task for this afternoon, I am going to do this without temp control - target is 20 degrees or thereabouts. I can't wait a few more days for the Coopers Australian Pale to finish in the fridge. My intention is to compare the 2 as they are similar brews. Besides we have to keep stocks up.  🍺 😄

20210203_121808 (2).jpg

hope all goes well with it Classic with your little excercise there

Brew day today an XPA I guess as it was a bit light for the pale ale characteristics. It was bittered with Columbus and flavour/whirlpool additions were Amarillo. I will dry hop with Amarillo and good old Nelson.

My numbers were spot on even the pre boil and SG and had no other dramas, although hot in the garage. I chilled and used the esky with water and ice bricks to put the inlet hose in to get it under 30degrees.

Grist was

4.5 kg pale malt 89%

60 grams carapils 1.2%

415grams wheat malt 8.2%

33grams crystal40.  <1%

Finished product pictured below ended up with 22litres tastes and smells good😎

149F8BFE-A574-4A53-A1BA-6F56F85CEE06.jpeg

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Graubart said:

@RDT2 RD I hope that those are empty xxxx gold tins being used as ballast and that you were given them empty ; )

image.thumb.png.9b78b61b36a7dc6b0d540faf2d091571.png

Or that you were given them by a mate who thought they were feral and you used them to kill the grass along the fence?

😁

They are actually full and supporting the glass under the fermenter. Been there for for about two years now I’d rather drink homebrew. I bought the block as a promotion to get the baggy yellow hat but the app didn’t work and by the time it did they ran out of hats. I uSed the rest of the blockto make beer bread and cooking🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

@jamiek86   You have just given me a tip re: placing FV in fridge prior to assembling brew. I have always struggled to get the temp to a desired pitching temp. Ta !

I notice 2 types Malt - 1 powder & 1 extract, does this improve flavour, also you have 2 yeast pkts. Looks good anyway.

thanks mate cooling day before after clean up after old brew usually good way to do but run out time on arvo shift. The 500 gram of dry malt is to boost abv and body a bit more instead of using dextrose. The 2 yeast so not underpitching some might still say i am but will pitch warm to wake it up before bring down

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 1

Recipe: Malty Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 96.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 77.0 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         1          34.5 %        1.30 L        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         2          34.5 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          17.2 %        0.65 L        
0.50 kg          Gladfield Light Chocolate Malt (900.0 EBC)       Grain         4          8.6 %         0.33 L        
0.30 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         5          5.2 %         0.20 L        
50.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           6          77.0 IBUs     -             

Belle Saison
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Started life as a dark saison and it's now a stout.

Oh well, should be nice and strong anyway.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

And, an easy drinker

Recipe: Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.033 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 24.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        0.98 L        
1.50 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        0.98 L        
13.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min              Hop           3          24.8 IBUs     -             

Belle Saison

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

OK, good luck with it, I have never tried the 86 days Pilsner, must give it a go soon.

it's my favourite kit followed by aus pale ale and dont try to rush it like me ended up with OG 1.048 and 23 litres instead of under 22 litres and just over 1.050 but close enough I suppose. also pitched on 25 degrees bringing temp down as fast as can if on 20 before go work in just over 2 hours ill be happy knowing will slowly go down to 15 or so why at work until 10

22 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Never tried that fella. So many beers to brew. My brain is close to exploding.

I know what you mean pale man. I used to just drink beer. Now I lie awake at night thinking about all the beer I have to brew, techniques to master, hops to try, yeasts to try, equipment to buy........

• Haha 4

26 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Never tried that fella. So many beers to brew. My brain is close to exploding.

Give Gal a run at some stage mate - late better... early is v bitter... some may say severe ; )

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

I know what you mean pale man. I used to just drink beer. Now I lie awake at night thinking about all the beer I have to brew, techniques to master, hops to try, yeasts to try, equipment to buy........

Ah... Brewers...  truly spoken... And it is all just part of the Beautiful Journey 🙂

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Brewing is a very deep rabbit hole. The more you get into it, the more you discover. Once you start your descent, it gets harder and harder to get out. But in the end, it is worth it. I don't claim to be a good brewer but I do claim that I made some darn good beers and that, I am proud of. That's worth waking up in the middle of the night with a great idea for a beer 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Green Blob said:

And, an easy drinker

Hey Greeny or any other Saison gurus just in regard to Saisons, I haven’t brewed one yet but your talking me into it, is it recommended to get a separate fermenter for Saisons or can you use the same one for normal beers. Just don’t want to run the risk of contamination in my everyday beers 🍺 I have aplastic coopers fermenter no shiny ss.

cheers 🍻 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1