Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

Backing up for Brew Day 2 this week... A Black Beer of sorts... Pale Malt, Vienna, and some Munich and Wheat... with specialty malts Carafa III and Choc for dark roast input as well as some acidulated to see how that helps with the mash... looks and smells ok.  Think will hop with Hallertau Mittelfrüh and pressure ferment it.  Cheers Brewers!

image.thumb.png.f6f6a5334aad7651dbe2e7face42a706.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Hairy said:

John Palmer isn’t fully committed to the no-squeeze rule.

https://byo.com/article/biab-tips-from-the-pros/

All who have been in the squeeze or not squeeze debate:  you will be very pleased that in my most recent black beer that I only squeezed gently ; )

With a plate to uniformly distribute the lovely gentle pressure 😋

image.thumb.png.e1d9e334bac758cf27fb947e6235367d.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Graubart said:

Backing up for Brew Day 2 this week... A Black Beer of sorts... Pale Malt, Vienna, and some Munich and Wheat... with specialty malts Carafa III and Choc for dark roast input as well as some acidulated to see how that helps with the mash... looks and smells ok.  Think will hop with Hallertau Mittelfrüh and pressure ferment it.  Cheers Brewers!

image.thumb.png.f6f6a5334aad7651dbe2e7face42a706.png

Can't wait to see how this turns out in the glass. Looks delicious BB

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

All who have been in the squeeze or not squeeze debate:  you will be very pleased that in my most recent black beer that I only squeezed gently ; )

With a plate to uniformly distribute the lovely gentle pressure 😋

image.thumb.png.e1d9e334bac758cf27fb947e6235367d.png

That's the trick fella

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Can't wait to see how this turns out in the glass. Looks delicious BB

Should be a bit like this bloke from July last year PM - though aimed to bring it in a little lighter this time mate... less dark malty stuff ; )

I am calling it a black beer... but am sorta trying to push towards an Altbier style... which is not as dark and bitey as the below fella 😋

image.thumb.png.2ba6d57ef84cf5afc99acfab81aacae5.png

• Like 7

On 1/27/2021 at 7:32 PM, DeviantLogic said:

What size batch are you running? I thought the belle saison was a fairly vigorous strain, so I'm assuming it's a fairly large batch for you to pitch two packets? I'm also curious what temperature you are planning to run it at this time. I'm thinking about doing a saison with the danstar belle for my next brew and would be interested to hear any general thoughts or advice you have about brewing saison with this yeast.

Hey mate, I did a 23ltr batch size. Probably a slight over pitch but I didn’t want to make a starter as I only have one vessel to make starters and didn’t want to put diastatic yeast into it. Even though it’s a robust yeast, it can still be stressed causing off flavours.

running it at 25degrees. Fermentation kicked off within 12 hrs and was going flat bickies when I checked the next morning. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Hey mate, I did a 23ltr batch size. Probably a slight over pitch but I didn’t want to make a starter as I only have one vessel to make starters and didn’t want to put diastatic yeast into it. Even though it’s a robust yeast, it can still be stressed causing off flavours.

running it at 25degrees. Fermentation kicked off within 12 hrs and was going flat bickies when I checked the next morning. 

You are sticking with 25 degrees the whole way through or going to ramp it up a couple degrees towards the end of fermentation?

I have been brewing fairly regularly but haven't posted in this thread for ages. Got a boring one for the flavour haters. I know a few on here did something similar a while back. I'm interested to see how it turns out. 

California Magnum Blonde (from Experimental Homebrew)

Coopers Pale Malt. A bit of Munich and Carahell to make up the difference.

All Magnum to take it up to about 30IBU. 20 of that @ 60. The rest at flameout.

OG 1.049 (hopefully - I was quite a way short last brew)

Probably fermented with US05.

Boil underway now.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Popo said:

I have been brewing fairly regularly but haven't posted in this thread for ages. Got a boring one for the flavour haters. I know a few on here did something similar a while back. I'm interested to see how it turns out. ........

Boil underway now.

Sounds nice.  Easy drinking and US05 is well behaved benign and floccs out nice..  got temp control?

10 hours ago, DeviantLogic said:

You are sticking with 25 degrees the whole way through or going to ramp it up a couple degrees towards the end of fermentation?

I’ll just leave it at 25 for 2 weeks I’d say. No point raising the temp. It’s well above the minimum range for The Diacytl clean up. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Popo said:

3 points shy. I'll have to have a look at my mill and crush. I have not adjusted it since I got the mill. It looked ok to the eye but something must be up.

Hey Popo, have you thought about running the grain through the mill twice rather than muck around with the adjustments?  I have never done it so just wondering if others do this and how it went re extract performance.

I have a KL 3 roller grain mill and just left both adjusters sitting top dead centre on the 0.063 mark.  Quite a while ago I read in John Palmer's book that there was only 1% difference in extraction from the fine grist when compared to a course grind so I left it were it was.  More efficiency can be obtained by tweaking the mash profile according to John Palmer but am open to discussion here from the AG experts.

If I turn the adjuster 90 degrees in either direction it will give me 0.032.  I note that the roller adjustment has to go the same way on each of the adjusters (clockwise or anti-clockwise).

Presuming these marks are in inches so the 0.063 inch = 1.60mm and the 0.032 inch = 0.81 mm.  This means I am milling my grain at 1.60 mm.

What mill do you have and what spacing are you currently milling the grain at?

Cheers - AL

Grain mill setting resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I got a simple $120 twin roller grain mill from a LHBS a bit over 2 years ago.  I mostly run it between 0.045 and 0.055 (1.14mm and 1.40mm).  It is currently set on 0.035 (0.89mm) because my last all grain batch included wheat malt which is a smaller grain than barley.

IMG_2170.JPG.4cf3022b6908275beb0765e29ed167d7.JPG

• Like 3

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Hey Popo, have you thought about running the grain through the mill twice rather than muck around with the adjustments? 

Cheers - AL

Hey iBooz,

I've got the 2 roller from KegLand.

You read my mind. I was thinking I might see what passing it through twice would do.

To be honest, I tried it straight out of the box and hit my numbers exactly on the first batch and didn't really think about it after that. It looked roughly credit card width so I ran with it. It's been through enough batches that I probably should have checked it a while ago but had seemingly no need to until the last couple. 3 points is not such a big deal, bit the previous brew was down about 10 points. I may have made an error somewhere else in my process/calculations though.

Looking at it now, it is sitting just above 0.050 which is halfway around on the markings.

• Like 1

Morillo Light Amber Ale

Another voss-fermented light stove-top AG brew in the works today:  

• 2.40 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 
  • 0.40 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Red Back Malt 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt 
  • 0.05 kg Gladfield Roasted Wheat 
  • 25g Mosaic- Boil 20.0 min
  • 25g Amarillo - Boil 10.0 min
  • 25g Mosaic  - Boil 5.0 min
  • 25g Amarillo  20.0 min
  • Kveik Voss

🧑‍🔬        

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Morillo Light Amber Ale

Another voss-fermented light stove-top AG brew in the works today:  

• 2.40 kg Gladfield Ale Malt 
  • 0.40 kg Gladfield Aurora Malt 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Red Back Malt 
  • 0.20 kg Gladfield Shepherds Delight Malt 
  • 0.05 kg Gladfield Roasted Wheat 
  • 25g Mosaic- Boil 20.0 min
  • 25g Amarillo - Boil 10.0 min
  • 25g Mosaic  - Boil 5.0 min
  • 25g Amarillo  20.0 min
  • Kveik Voss

🧑‍🔬        

That looks a lovely recipe BS. I might be biased but Gladfield malts are excellent.

• Like 2