Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

5 minutes ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Nothing current bearing my ciders in the fermenter but with footy season coming up soon it's time to chuck on a dark ale.... Looking for suggestions on hops, as I will be running 2 x 10ltr brews, happy to try 2 different hops. 

what type of Dark Ale  you thinking

maybe a bittering of magnum   cascade and amarillo for flavour  and maybe  some citra for aroma

On 1/30/2021 at 3:14 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I got a simple $120 twin roller grain mill from a LHBS a bit over 2 years ago.  I mostly run it between 0.045 and 0.055 (1.14mm and 1.40mm).  It is currently set on 0.035 (0.89mm) because my last all grain batch included wheat malt which is a smaller grain than barley.

IMG_2170.JPG.4cf3022b6908275beb0765e29ed167d7.JPG

Malt King mill? Picked up mine for $90 on a monthly special a month or so ago. Does the job anyway!

8 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Malt King mill? Picked up mine for $90 on a monthly special a month or so ago. Does the job anyway!

Mine does not have a brand name or anything.  Like you say through, it does the job.  Stainless steel, so that's good.  The hopper is smallish.  Probably can only fit 2.5kg of grain.  I made a cardboard hopper extender.  It holds at least 6kg of grain.

• Like 3

So actually got some time to do the Kolsch I’ve been planning on. Was still a bit rushed for time but got it done. Bit short on access to water at the moment, so went no chill for this one. The new tank coming in the next month or so should give me some more options for recirculating cooling water in and out of it.

So for the recipe I went pretty plain and kind of to style, using Voyager Atlas with just a bit of light Munich. Hops were Tettnang, however I dropped the second lot back to 10g to cater for no chill.

I’ll be kegging the manic kveik pale ale today so the Kolsch will be heading into a fermenter and in the fridge straight after that.

38562473-6B9B-43AF-9B84-554FA9A67EE1.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, NewBrews said:

So actually got some time to do the Kolsch I’ve been planning on.

Nice work NB... really keen to see how you go with this : )

As I need to do one at some stage... had the yeast for a while but just not got around to it as there are soooo many different beers to make haha 🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NewBrews said:

So actually got some time to do the Kolsch I’ve been planning on. Was still a bit rushed for time but got it done. Bit short on access to water at the moment, so went no chill for this one. The new tank coming in the next month or so should give me some more options for recirculating cooling water in and out of it.

So for the recipe I went pretty plain and kind of to style, using Voyager Atlas with just a bit of light Munich. Hops were Tettnang, however I dropped the second lot back to 10g to cater for no chill.

I’ll be kegging the manic kveik pale ale today so the Kolsch will be heading into a fermenter and in the fridge straight after that.

38562473-6B9B-43AF-9B84-554FA9A67EE1.png

Looks pretty good mate...  I had brewed a kolsch a few weeks ago    and its rather refreshing drink and would be a great on hot day nice and cold

I was pretty pleased  how  much it  cleans ups..  just a short video of my kolsch

oh what program is that your using?

• Like 4

Saison brew day today went well other than I couldn’t find my bucket that I usually weigh my grains in so used a different container which appeared to not distribute the weight properly and ended up with 400 grams of grain more than I wanted🤦‍♂️To counteract this I did a full volume mash and ended up one point lower than predicted so happy with that and correct volume. The grist was all Pilsner with styrian golding hops so now it’s sitting in the fermenter waiting for belle to takeoff. Can’t wait beautiful clear wort Also👍

817443E0-03AD-4C64-9917-2CEB4D00EAA0.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 8

Revisited a style I brewed a few times in my early AG beginnings. XPA.....what ever that really means. Not wanting another hazy or ipa but something a bit jazzier than a pale?? Maybe... I dunno.  It’s a bit of a weird style to try and make interesting so I went with a grain bill that is a bitta this and a sprinkle of that. 

pilsner malt

Pale malt 

a sprinkle of wheat and a sprinkle of honey malt. 

honey malt? Anyone used it? It’s said to prop up your tropical-esk hops the same way Munich or caramalt props up your pine and resinous varieties. Certainly came through in the wort aroma. Should be interesting. 

warrior for bittering  

vic secret, eclipse and cashmere as a WP.

VS and eclipse as a dry hop in a few days. 

Boring old 05 choofing at 18 deg.

Post boil at 1.050 and dropping to 1.048 with a 2L starter. Bang on today which is good. 

46823B98-4B93-4661-8DCE-30F078D5B974.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Brew #44 AG Batch #5 another crack at the Pacific Summer Ale.

The purpose of this version 3 was to get my water chemistry correct and add the right salts etc. so my mash pH would get into the happy zone.  It was going to be a 21 Litre batch but was concentrating so much on the pH numbers that the grain bill crept up a fair bit and ended up with a higher gravity beer than I usually drink.  So first thought I would get the mates around to polish this batch off but then thought again, bugger them, topped it up with a couple of litres of cold filtered water to get it back to a "me" drink.

Also made this batch a bit darker golden as the others have come out a little lighter in colour than Beer-Smith predicts.

Pretty happy with the water profile now and think I have worked it out (will post my findings over on the new AG setup thread) as it may help others.

AG Batch #5 Summer Ale.PNG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@MitchBastard looks good do you always take hydro reading with tube overflowing? If that happens to me I empty small bit wasn't sure if made difference or not

Makes it easier to read the numbers particularly if the tube has a bit of cloudiness from foam, yeast etc. this way you can see the meniscus / curvature clearly due to surface tension between the hydrometer and the test tube.

• Thanks 2

Harlequin Gold

(20 litres)

Giving the relatively new UK Harlequin hops a test drive today -  a simple lower-carb/low-ish ABV British Golden Ale, and once again using Kveik Voss yeast :

• 2.7kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 200g GF Aurora Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Harlequin @30mins
  • 20g Harlequin @10mins
  • 30g Harlequin @5mins
  • 40g Harlequin @ FO
  • 5g each Gypsum & Epsom Salts
  • Voss

After temperature correction looks like the OG will be around 1.035 - 1.036 - just as predicted by Beersmith (@75% efficiency).  So, with Voss's generous attenuation this one should land at around 4%ABV after priming.  🤓

IMG_20210217_132015.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 4

On 2/14/2021 at 7:13 PM, Maurice79 said:

First Harvest Ale for 2021 - Scorpion Breath Pale.

image.png.5ee8823e6a462dde26d06e742ee6a1c8.png

250g Chinook wet hops picked straight from the bine, whirlpool for 5 mins.

First time using Voss Kveik.

48 hrs at 30c and it was done, down from 1.053 to 1010. Sample tasted good but needs to cool down.

• Like 2

Recepie as pic below made to 20 litres pitched good old boring us-05 on 20.8 degrees. Will try to bring temp down to 18 before go to a birthday party this arvo. Forgot get OG reading straight away maby half hour later so not sure how accurate 1.056 😃 will add eclipse hop tea after krausen gone down and hopefully keg it after drink the lighter version in keg next weekend. 

20210220_144000.jpg

• Like 3