Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 30.2 EBC
Estimated IBU: 16.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          73.7 %        2.28 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          21.1 %        0.65 L        
0.20 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         3          4.2 %         0.13 L        
0.05 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         4          1.1 %         0.03 L        
10.00 g          Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           5          16.4 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Roselare Belgian Blend (Wyeast Labs #3763) [124. Yeast         6          -             -             

---------------------------------

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice Norris.  I notice you have no long hop boil for bitterness.  How long do you actually boil the wort for?  How do you go about your hop stand?  Cool a bit and then leave sit or just leave to sit?

I did a 60 min boil, but despite the posted recipe I didn't add the hops until flameout and after I did a whirlpool and the temp dropped to 93c, then let sit for 30 min and cubed at 79c. I could of done a 30 min boil but I was mowing the lawn, I kind of overshot my OG by a few points, so had some wiggle room. 

I Wanted to maximize the little aroma and flavour I am getting from the small additions in this recipe, so that is why I went for my bitterness late instead of early. 

I normally do my hopstands either right at flameout and hold for 30 min but they can be pretty bitter with cubing, they are like a 5 or 10 min addition I feel, so depending on the hop amount I generally wait until it is below 82c and drop the hops in the Cube and the hot wort on top, seal and THEN ferment within a week. For this recipe I didn't want that much flavour and aroma from the cube hop so went midway and let the wort sit until 93c and then added the hops for 30min and then cubed.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Norris! said:

I did a 60 min boil, but despite the posted recipe I didn't add the hops until flameout and after I did a whirlpool and the temp dropped to 93c, then let sit for 30 min and cubed at 79c. I could of done a 30 min boil but I was mowing the lawn, I kind of overshot my OG by a few points, so had some wiggle room. 

I Wanted to maximize the little aroma and flavour I am getting from the small additions in this recipe, so that is why I went for my bitterness late instead of early. 

I normally do my hopstands either right at flameout and hold for 30 min but they can be pretty bitter with cubing, they are like a 5 or 10 min addition I feel, so depending on the hop amount I generally wait until it is below 82c and drop the hops in the Cube and the hot wort on top, seal and THEN ferment within a week. For this recipe I didn't want that much flavour and aroma from the cube hop so went midway and let the wort sit until 93c and then added the hops for 30min and then cubed.

Okay got you, I do something very similar. Yes I use more hops, but my beers have been better for it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

Okay got you, I do something very similar. Yes I use more hops, but my beers have been better for it. 

Yeah I would agree. We all have our own brewing styles and techniques, honestly, if you are happy with your brews, late or early additions whatever, keep doing it and enjoy. 

22 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great detail @Norris!.  Much appreciated.  I have not done a brew with only late additions.  I will have to look into it more and and add one to the schedule.

I have read this article like 4 times and I keep coming back to it because there is just so much there. Have a read when you get a good 10 minutes.

http://scottjanish.com/survivables-unpacking-hot-side-hop-flavor/

Edited by Norris!
  • Thanks 3

About to keg my Berliner that I put down in October, so I'm making another

Recipe: Berliner Weisse 2
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Berliner Weisse
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.039 SG
Estimated Color: 4.9 EBC
Estimated IBU: 5.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.75 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          50.0 %        1.14 L        
1.75 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         2          50.0 %        1.14 L        
3.00 g           El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min              Hop           3          5.5 IBUs      -             
1.0 pkg          Berliner Weisse Blend (White Labs #WLP630) [50.2 Yeast         4          -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@CLASSIC $7.80 for this brew!

@Greeny1525229549 kegged the latest Flanders too, very promising berry/ sherry aromas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Green Blob said:

$7.80 for this brew!

5 hours ago, Green Blob said:

@Greeny1525229549 kegged the latest Flanders too, very promising berry/ sherry aromas.

I'll take it @Green Blob  good price I will send you my address.  😄  No seriously, that's amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Green Blob said:

That was with the lambic blend right? Not really happy with the sour batch kidz blend to be honest. I think it suffers from no pedioccus in it giving that long term sourness.

My latest 2 endeavours I cheated and used IBS tablets initially with no IBUs to get the ph down and then put in a stovetop hop boil. Fixed the ph but the brett has not come through at all. So 9 weeks down and they are both at 1.002 and I have a sour saison essentially with no brett to speak of. I am going to try some maltodextrin as I have read that brett will eat it and the rest won't. My only chance of saving it I think. 

Next batches I am throwing out the yeast and getting 2 different yeasts. One will be roselare blend and the other I am looking around and still undecided. If you have any thoughts would love to hear them.

7 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Dont think ill be adding tea bags this time just want try the flavour of kit itself. Just extra half litre and extra malt this time. In cool water bucket slowly coming down to under 20

20210310_170651.jpg

20210310_170708.jpg

Hey Jamie, you have the same Mr Beer Craft Fermenter as I do & I was wondering do you wait until GG is reached or do you have a set time to sit in the fermenter.

And do intend to bottle or keg it ?

Cheers.

OK now I am totally convinced about PET bottles, although I am not knocking them generally, I just cracked a Grolsch 500ml bottle of Wa'ls Pale Ale bottled at the same time with PETS, Coopers 750ml bottled on 15/02 2021 & the pop opening the ring pull was energetic, the immediate aroma of hops ( Pride Of Ringwood ) was great, it poured like a dream & it tastes great, again nice & hoppy. This was with 2 Carb drops & I will be using more swing tops from now on. Happy Camper. 😃

20210310_170545 (2).jpg

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

OK now I am totally convinced about PET bottles, although I am not knocking them generally, I just cracked a Grolsch 500ml bottle of Wa'ls Pale Ale bottled at the same time with PETS, Coopers 750ml bottled on 15/02 2021 & the pop opening the ring pull was energetic, the immediate aroma of hops ( Pride Of Ringwood ) was great, it poured like a dream & it tastes great, again nice & hoppy. This was with 2 Carb drops & I will be using more swing tops from now on. Happy Camper. 😃

20210310_170545 (2).jpg

Yep, two carb drops in each swing top. The lid/seal goes off with a resounding pop.

I changed over to these a few months ago bit to expensive to buy filled with Grolsch but Gumtree helps a lot.😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Pickles Jones said:

Yep, two carb drops in each swing top. The lid/seal goes off with a resounding pop.

I changed over to these a few months ago bit to expensive to buy filled with Grolsch but Gumtree helps a lot.😃

You know @Pickles Jones  I don't mind buying a carton of Grolsch every now & again just to get the bottles, I don't mind a slurp from Groenlo, Netherlands, but my main focus was the bottles, I have around a 100 & even that's not enough. The moment I took a chance from 1 carb drop to 2, the results have been outstanding.  I will keep doing it, Cheers.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Are they 500ml Phil? @CLASSIC

Oh Grey Bearded One, I stand corrected they are 450ml which was one of the reasons I hesitated at first upgrading from 1 to 2 Carb Drops. I was impressed with the one I opened last night so I will continue the practice -  no sign of any bottle bombs yet.

I also have a carton of the old American style Grolsch bottles with the stone cap ( they are plastic these days ) these are the original 500ml.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:
41 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Are they 500ml Phil? @CLASSIC

Oh Grey Bearded One, I stand corrected they are 450ml which was one of the reasons I hesitated at first upgrading from 1 to 2 Carb Drops. I was impressed with the one I opened last night so I will continue the practice -  no sign of any bottle bombs yet.

I also have a carton of the old American style Grolsch bottles with the stone cap ( they are plastic these days ) these are the original 500ml.

Hey Mr. Beard, completely off topic but I'm thinking of changing over to glass bottles. I'm concerned however because of my love for the "Fizz" there may be a disaster waiting to happen. I'm currently using 10 grams of white table sugar per liter ( Approx equivalent to 3.6 Vol)  bulk primed and conditioned in the 750ml Coopers PET bottles. (I've been doing mostly Lagers) Would this level of carbonation present issues when using glass bottles in your opinion? I don't tend to store the beer for lengthy periods either. 😁

• Haha 1

My 86 day pilsner with dubbya 34 slurry that was pitched Saturday night and been on 12 degrees for all of time minus first 6 hours on 18. OG:1.057 already down to 1:020 geeze it working fast cloudy as all crap but fast ferment considering 12 is low ferment temp. Probably can bring up for d rest already might get down another 8 or 10 points.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Mr. Beard, completely off topic but I'm thinking of changing over to glass bottles. I'm concerned however because of my love for the "Fizz" there may be a disaster waiting to happen. I'm currently using 10 grams of white table sugar per liter ( Approx equivalent to 3.6 Vol)  bulk primed and conditioned in the 750ml Coopers PET bottles. (I've been doing mostly Lagers) Would this level of carbonation present issues when using glass bottles in your opinion? I don't tend to store the beer for lengthy periods either. 😁

Mate I believe Coops Plazzi are 740 and Coops Largies are 750... probs nil diff but slightly bigger vol helpful re dilution.... if using Coopers Lollies...  but you are Bulk Carbing hey Mick?

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus might be better placed to comment or @Aussiekraut as they are better at bottling tech than me - am kegging most of the time and otherwise use Coopers Lollies - but I guess I can try to help as did plenty in Bottles too past years.  Or @Greeny1525229549 Greeny - you so some of your Belgians in glass Bottles?

So I only brewed in Coopers Largies or older solid glass largies... I would not use thin new glass screw top bottles.  And then I only used to use Coopers Lollies 2 per bottle - or those little plastic gadgets with scoop for priming sugar one end for Largies and scoop at other end for Stubbies...  not a lot of bulk prime sorry. 

I would've thought you would be right tho @Mickep Mick but - I guess the best way is to try it out - do a batch with half a dozen good solid glass largies - and the rest Plazzis and see how it goes?

I reckon if you have fully brewed out your first ferment, and then follow the same secondary ferment bulk prime for the glass fellas you should be right.  I believe the biggest issue for Botty Bombs is not fully fermented out Primary Ferment or infection with say Diastaticus/wild yeats which can feed upon non-fermentables that W34 US05 etc cannot eat.   So effectively you end up with a lot more fermentables in the bottle. 

I don't think I have ever managed to make a bottle-bomb out of a Coopers Largie.... a few might have 'spat the dummy' but no explosions.  I did have some explosions ages ago when starting out doing Coopers Kits - at the time I was over in the Land of Pom - and using Boots the Chemist glass Pint Bottles and lost a cupple there - but think that I had not brewed out the first ferment well enough or me helping mate on the sugar additions with a teaspoon was a bit too generous?

Any new change to your standard Brewery process like that @Mickep Mick I reckon trialling a few before going holus bolus over to the new methodology - is worth a try hey - Change Management haha !?! ; )

But I am with you mate - good fizz in a beer is a beautiful thing 🥳

HTH but there might be some Bottle Guns and Bulk Priming experts out there that might be able to help also?

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1