Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

19 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hi Graubs.

Do you find the wheat extract better than the other malt extracts? Would you recommend it in some beers more than others eg. is it better in lagers or pales or dark ales?

Hey muzz. I’ve used wheat malt in pale ales, and it’s great. Good for head, flavour and general beer sexiness. Haven’t tried it in a lager. It does bring a bit of cloudiness/haze with it so I steered more towards ales. Also I wasn’t sure about a lager yeast dealing with wheat, but I don’t know enough to have a view there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

@Tone boy Thanks for the suggestions. You don't need to be an expert. Your ideas at least point me in a good direction. Looking forward to making some "sexy" beers when I can get my hands on some wheat extract.

Go for it Muzzy, it's actually a lot cheaper than I thought it was although Brewmaker had a discount on a few dented cans that were damaged in transit. 😜

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Go for it Muzzy, it's actually a lot cheaper than I thought it was although Brewmaker had a discount on a few dented cans that were damaged in transit. 😜

Price isn't an issue. It's the same price as all the other malt extracts. I'd just never considered using it before because I thought it'd only be for wheat beers which I'm yet to make any.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Hi Graubs.

Do you find the wheat extract better than the other malt extracts? Would you recommend it in some beers more than others eg. is it better in lagers or pales or dark ales?

Hey Muzzy - mate I reckon you should just get a tin of the Wheat Liquid Malt and try it - in whatever beer you choose... and see how it goes.  I use wheat in my AGs in just about every beer and I think it helps with those things above - mouthfeel - head and head retention... and lacing will come from that (on a glass w no detergent haha)... 

12 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I'd just never considered using it before because I thought it'd only be for wheat beers which I'm yet to make any.

@MUZZY Muzzy - I thought so too back then... but narrgh not just for Wheat Beers.

So as @CLASSIC Phil's LHBS mate put him onto the Wheat for the Stout... or Phil grabbed it... anyway - it will be good in the Stout.

But I reckon it would assist any Coopers Kit brew... it's only half wheat - so the other half in the tin is just your normal Barley liquid malt.

@Beerlust Lusty noted to me ages ago - that Wheat is only useful re head retention etc - if there is already good body in the beer.  So I would put in both the BE3 and the Liquid Wheat Malt...  note that does raise the ABV and the cost... but I think it would be worth experimenting with... but hey you are the Chief Brewer so needs to fit with the beer you like. 

Mate I reckon just pick a beer you like and try the Liquid Wheat Malt and see how it goes... I reckon it would be good in any Coopers Kit Brew unless you are chasing something thin, flat and watery like Gt Swill Nthn ; )

@Tone boy Hey Toner - mate that is really good feedback mate... glad it has worked for your beers!  And mate I don't think the Lager Yeast will give a shittt whether it's wheat or barley malt... it will love both haha!  I use wheat it all sorts of beers and the yeast doesn't have a problem with it... but good question all the same!

As for Liquid Malts @Red devil 44 Reddler will attest to (when he comes back from gallavanting around Australia) their benefits... he uses Liquid Malts all the time with good results.  You there Red - have you utilised the Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt mate?

@CLASSIC Phil our Spreadsheet - attached below - have you got a copy ?  shows that the Kit+Liquid Malt tin + kilo comes out at 5.9% not sure how your mate came up with 6.8%

Spready also says that if you only use half a kilo of BE3/dry malt...  you are at 5.1% in the bottle  (Spready attached below but understand if you do not have the software nor use XL hey).  @Shamus O'Sean will know if there is a more up to date version somewhere SOS help please?

So there is also a thought - just use 0.5kg of the Dry... easy to split that and use half a kilo in another brew later...

Anyway Brewers - these are just suggestions for you to possibly try hey.... 

image.thumb.png.17f60dc2527250c303febac9ad355867.png

Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A late one tonight. Got to find the time when I can.

Everything has been sub 5% and pale for the last little while. Time for something stronger and darker.

I've got a Janet's Brown on the go which I haven't made for a couple of years. Numbers look good so far. Should come in at a bit over 7% with Northern Brewer, Cascade and Centennial.

Future me can worry about the clean up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey Muzzy - mate I reckon you should just get a tin of the Wheat Liquid Malt and try it - in whatever beer you choose... and see how it goes.  I use wheat in my AGs in just about every beer and I think it helps with those things above - mouthfeel - head and head retention... and lacing will come from that (on a glass w no detergent haha)... 

@MUZZY Muzzy - I thought so too back then... but narrgh not just for Wheat Beers.

So as @CLASSIC Phil's LHBS mate put him onto the Wheat for the Stout... or Phil grabbed it... anyway - it will be good in the Stout.

But I reckon it would assist any Coopers Kit brew... it's only half wheat - so the other half in the tin is just your normal Barley liquid malt.

@Beerlust Lusty noted to me ages ago - that Wheat is only useful re head retention etc - if there is already good body in the beer.  So I would put in both the BE3 and the Liquid Wheat Malt...  note that does raise the ABV and the cost... but I think it would be worth experimenting with... but hey you are the Chief Brewer so needs to fit with the beer you like. 

Mate I reckon just pick a beer you like and try the Liquid Wheat Malt and see how it goes... I reckon it would be good in any Coopers Kit Brew unless you are chasing something thin, flat and watery like Gt Swill Nthn ; )

@Tone boy Hey Toner - mate that is really good feedback mate... glad it has worked for your beers!  And mate I don't think the Lager Yeast will give a shittt whether it's wheat or barley malt... it will love both haha!  I use wheat it all sorts of beers and the yeast doesn't have a problem with it... but good question all the same!

As for Liquid Malts @Red devil 44 Reddler will attest to (when he comes back from gallavanting around Australia) their benefits... he uses Liquid Malts all the time with good results.  You there Red - have you utilised the Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt mate?

@CLASSIC Phil our Spreadsheet - attached below - have you got a copy ?  shows that the Kit+Liquid Malt tin + kilo comes out at 5.9% not sure how your mate came up with 6.8%

Spready also says that if you only use half a kilo of BE3/dry malt...  you are at 5.1% in the bottle  (Spready attached below but understand if you do not have the software nor use XL hey).  @Shamus O'Sean will know if there is a more up to date version somewhere SOS help please?

So there is also a thought - just use 0.5kg of the Dry... easy to split that and use half a kilo in another brew later...

Anyway Brewers - these are just suggestions for you to possibly try hey.... 

image.thumb.png.17f60dc2527250c303febac9ad355867.png

Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls 1.08 MB · 1 download

All Good Graubster, thank you, I will go over it, Cheers.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:45 AM, MUZZY said:

Today's very simple brew is also a side by side experiment.

1.7kg Coopers Brew A IPA with 1.5kg liquid light malt extract. Making 2 x 25 litre batches fermenting at 19C. One with the kit yeast and the other (pictured FV) with reactivated Coopers commercial Pale Ale yeast.

Even though I currently have an abundance of hops I'm not making any hop additions. This kit is already well hopped and full of flavour. Also the experiment is to determine if I can detect any taste difference between CCA yeast and the Brew A kit yeast.

Muzzler, I love a good experiment.  I cannot wait to hear about the results.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Muzzler, I love a good experiment.  I cannot wait to hear about the results.

Hopefully I remember to report back, SOS. I find that's a drawback of the time making beer takes. It could be a few months before the beer is tasted and there's so many sessions in between that time.....(insert hiccup sound effect) 😄 

PS. Muzzler? Clearly @Graubart's influence is rubbing off on you. LOL.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Interestingly, the lower FV using dry kit yeast and mixed together a few hours later has more advanced activity compared to the upper FV which has reactivated Coopers commercial yeast in it. I would have thought the active yeast would have taken off sooner.

IMG20210327133920.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Interestingly, the lower FV using dry kit yeast and mixed together a few hours later has more advanced activity compared to the upper FV which has reactivated Coopers commercial yeast in it. I would have thought the active yeast would have taken off sooner.

Warmer in the lower FV?  Coopers Commercial yeast tends to be a slower starter when I have used it.

• Like 1

Just now, Shamus O'Sean said:

Warmer in the lower FV?  Coopers Commercial yeast tends to be a slower starter when I have used it.

Yes, slightly warmer downstairs. I've tried to remedy that a little but it hasn't been terribly effective. They're not seen in the photo but there's holes drilled in the plywood to allow the cooler air to drop down (hopefully). Also have the lower FV moved to the left because the left side of the fridge tends to be colder.

• Like 2

Red Ale

1.7 kg Black Rock Pale Ale can

800g Maris Otter

300g Munich light

329g Gladfield Redback

250g wheat DME

250g LDME

250g Dextrose

15g Fuggles at 5 minutes 

25g Citra at Flameout 

kit yeast plus repitched M44

60 minute mash, 25 min boil, 23 litres, OG 1.044

92EF2B22-4359-401C-B672-337D63047653.jpeg

71B10B53-D63B-4649-9E5B-944397B2A8A9.jpeg

C211EBE7-0065-4ABD-9263-B615FB299FF9.jpeg

• Like 4

I have just bottled 13 x Morgan's PET bottles which are 750ml.  This was in of my 15l Craft Fermenters 

Full pouch 1.7kg of Mangrove Jacks Classic Bitter

250 gm LDME

Supplied yeast

Filled to 11 Litres

SG 1040

FG 1014 - over 3 days

I am trying to calculate the estimated ABV as the target was 4.4% using the pack with 23 litres & 1kg Dextrose.

I am thinking it would go much higher than that ?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

am trying to calculate the estimated ABV

Hey @CLASSIC. From the numbers you’ve given I get about 3.4% ABV. 

(1.040 - 1.012) x 131.25 =3.4%

Looking at your fermentables for 11 litres this does seem low though. Are you sure about the OG?

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

Maybe just check your hydrometer in water to make sure it’s still accurate...

The FG seems high too at 1.014. Maybe the yeast was a low attenuating strain?

Hydrometer is working fine, I have 4 Fermenters & use it regularly plus I have 2-3 others that I check it against from time to time & the yeast was the supplied yeast from Mangrove Jacks.

So I will have to wait & see as is bottled now. 

• Like 1

Hey @jamiek86  First time for that recipe. I did a bit of research looking though the recipe library on Brewfather. Most Irish red ales use either Fuggles or East Kent Goldings. A few had Citra as well. Not traditional I guess but it seemed a popular combo that I happened to have in stock so I thought what the hell!

Ive used Fuggles with Hallertau Mittelfruh before and it was great. Interested to see how this comes out. Something different anyway...

cheers 🍻✌️

Just now, MUZZY said:

like the spill prevention jar. Ingenuity. 🙂 

I stole that idea from this forum Muzzy. And the stick of timber under the tap side of the FV so the yeast settles away from the tap. Gotta love learning from the experience of others!!

• Like 2