Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Maurice, that looks bizarrely delicious. Have you ever eaten one?

Nah looks tasty but id not recommend it.

it smells lovely and if you look carefully you'll see the yellow lupin that is a resinous oil which is quite bitter. Once you rub it between your fingers, the smell is wonderful but is tastes shit and is hard to wash off.  

Its the chemical reactions of the oils at different temps that determines the isomerization (bitterness) and volatilization of the hop oils which determine the flavour and aroma that is retained. Science lol 🧑‍🔬

• Like 3

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

After 8 days of fermentation I dropped the temperature overnight to 9C. Not so much to cold crash but to reduce foaming while bottling. The kit yeast version = no problems. The CCA yeast version was reacting almost immediately to the priming sugar. So much so they started volcanoing (I don't think that's a real word). Three bottles (pictured) had spill over because I couldn't get the lids on fast enough. 😒

Hi Muzzy

I have never had the foaming issue you describe.  However, I always add the sugar or carb drops to the bottle first.  Then I fill the bottles.

I even bottled a brew during the week, my Hoegaarden clone.  I added 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and then filled with 21°C beer.  There was maybe 5mm of foam on the surface in the bottles.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Muzzy

I have never had the foaming issue you describe.  However, I always add the sugar or carb drops to the bottle first.  Then I fill the bottles.

I even bottled a brew during the week, my Hoegaarden clone.  I added 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of sugar and then filled with 21°C beer.  There was maybe 5mm of foam on the surface in the bottles.

Howdy Shamus.
Yeah, it's been a bit odd. This one batch today foamed up like mad but the other didn't. The only difference between the two was the yeast used and perhaps 1-2C of ferment temperature differential due to the shelves they sat on in the fridge.
I had the same thing happen with a previous brew but I didn't take note of which one it was or what yeast was used. I'm thinking it might be the reactivated CCA yeast brews. Bearing in mind I don't harvest the yeast from Coopers commercial beers each time. I've just been regenerating the CCA yeast from my own brews. Maybe it's time to down the Coopers stubbies I have in my fridge and reactivate a new yeast.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, CLASSIC said:

My actual query was; I was wondering if I could tape the probe to the FV & plug in the temp controller in the room without placing anything in the fridge ( again without the heat belt )

If you tape the probe to the FV - it will monitor the FV temp for you...  inside or outside the fridge...  like this keg going through secondary ferment - as the keg has come to equilibrium with the external ambient room temp - the keg temp is being monitored and besides the exothermic yeast fermentation (which warms the FV/keg when it is cranking - over and complete now) is now a de fact temp monitor also for the room temp.  I hope that is of use?  The probe will monitor whatever it is asked to - irrelevant of what might or might not be plugged in... HTH

image.png.aab3a81f94ddda1bb71a4525d5c2d38c.png

On 4/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, CLASSIC said:

I would have thought if you did this & say set your target temp at say 22 degrees it should stay constant until you change it.

If you want to change the temp - you have to "add energy" via heat belt or for cooling via the fridge...  with respect to staying constant - if the ambient room tempt is constant - and the FV is not being heated by itself with a vigorous yeast ferment - then yes it should stay relatively constant. 

Am I addressing the issue at hand @CLASSIC Phil?

Edited by Graubart

7 minutes ago, Graubart said:

If you tape the probe to the FV - it will monitor the FV temp for you...  inside or outside the fridge...  like this keg going through secondary ferment - as the keg has come to equilibrium with the external ambient room temp - the keg temp is being monitored and besides the exothermic yeast fermentation (which warms the FV/keg when it is cranking - over and complete now) is now a de fact temp monitor also for the room temp.  I hope that is of use?  The probe will monitor whatever it is asked to - irrelevant of what might or might not be plugged in... HTH

image.png.aab3a81f94ddda1bb71a4525d5c2d38c.png

If you want to change the temp - you have to "add energy" via heat belt or for cooling via the fridge...  with respect to staying constant - if the ambient room tempt is constant - and the FV is not being heated by itself with a vigorous yeast ferment - then yes it should stay relatively constant. 

Am I addressing the issue at hand @CLASSIC Phil?

Graubster, Thanks heaps, I thought it was possible, you are the first & only person ever to answer my question. I thought it was possible but the instructions & intense searching on the net proved fruitless, I will try it with the next brew as my brew room stays pretty much around 20-22 degrees all of the time.

Awesome, Cheers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hairy said:

Here’s the recipe. It was just using up grain and hops that I had on hand so it isn’t a ‘normal’ ESB recipe. It should still be nice though.

@Tone boy Toner - if you are making this beer - just a word of caution - there is a small typo in the title - the first R should be an I...

So make sure you name your brew Prince HAIRY's Bitter please.

image.thumb.png.59ea22a6632320bc855163367b80c936.png

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I thought it was possible but the instructions & intense searching on the net proved fruitless, I will try it with the next brew as my brew room stays pretty much around 20-22 degrees all of the time..

So mate that wire and probe only does one job - it senses the local temp and reports to the little screen on the STC-1000 unit. 

The electronic box of tricks then takes that temp monitoring signal as sensed - and will respectively provide power to either cold power outlet or heat power outlet. 

But the box of tricks can just run by itself happily as a temp monitor - nothing needs to be plugged in to work.

... Hahaha and whatever you do -- never do what I did once in a monumental phar kup and inadvertently plug the heat belt into the cooling port - otherwise your brew will end up very warm indeed... fortunately mine survived the warm time it had hahaha...  Cos the temp probe on the wire keeps sensing it is hot and so it keeps power going to the cooling port (where the fridge should be plugged in) trying to cool things down as you have instructed it --  so here instead the power kept going to the heat pad which kept warming haha.... since then I have written in White Paint Pen H for Heat (and the word Cool on other side) on top of that little STC box nice and clear ; )

17 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Oddly it was only the CCA yeast brew affected. 

18 hours ago, Hairy said:

t’s probably the CO2 still in the beer from fermentation. Adding the sugar creates points of nucleation.

Maybe the CCA needed a little bit more time in the FV to relax and settle down a bit more - sounds like it may have still been in active fermentation and producing CO2 @MUZZY Muzzler and hence @Hairy as Hairy notes that the sugar provided the nucleation for the CO2 still in solution to fire up...   

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Graubart said:

@Tone boy Toner - if you are making this beer - just a word of caution - there is a small typo in the title - the first R should be an I...

Hairy is only the Court Jester.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, RDT2 said:

did a 15 litre batch of @Green Blob ‘s Nelson Saison

This is a sad day RD mate - you have completely reneged on your tape wasting duties... instead of wrapping the FV in endless amounts of tape (too much is barely enough) you have gone to a very nice looking re-usable strapping system... mate this is way to Sustainable... very disappointed 😝 

Haha luvyerwory @RDT2 what a clever way to go... I am just on the site pisss-take bandwagon of excessive taping for the LOLs and here you have shown we need no tape at all - what are the tape manufacturers and landfill operators gunna think? 😆  Great job and good luck with the Brew!

And lastly - cool too - as a festive strapping system like that will stop generating those lines of tape stickyshittt that can sometimes get left behind on the Coopers FV. Nice work all round : )

image.thumb.png.000c877750fe3473f1a1c0eb2bfbba33.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Muzzy

@MUZZY Hey Muzzy and @Shamus O'Sean Shamus.  I am with Shamus on this one - adding first always seemed to work better for me when bottling.

I may be wrong - but am thinking that your CCA brew might be just a bit slower than other yeast - or wanted to keep fermenting to a slightly lower final SG than its mate wanted to?

And in general - am thinking - and am happy to be corrected on this - that maybe those "foaming up brews" on bottling just needed a bit more ferment time and FV conditioning to settle down and have the CO2 in solution dissipate that @Hairy wisely points out has the sugar as nucleation points and fires up and foams out and over causing bottling process duress. 

The other thing is cold crashing - so chill the FV down seriously before bottling - you may be doing this... I guess too you may not want to chill the beer either - as you want to keep the yeast going and not having to re-warm them.

So if that is the case - then I think you may be better off letting your brews finish and settle down a bit.  I was always keen to get the beer out of the FV and into bottles to avoid any infection possibilities - but the foaming does seem to indicate that there is still CO2 being produced which means ferment is not over. ...

HTH and happy to be advised by any Brewers if I am up a dry gully here... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Haha luvyerwory @RDT2 what a clever way to go... I am just on the site pisss-take bandwagon of excessive taping for the LOLs and here you have shown we need no tape at all - what are the tape manufacturers and landfill operators gunna think? 😆  Great job and good luck with the Brew!

Cheers mate they are cool straps they came off a new vacuum sealed mattress and were going to be thrown out. I said I will take those and they fit around my mash pot and on my 23 litre fermenter   with the Velcro. It’s a bit big for the small fermenter but still works if I tie it in a knot. No more tape 🤣Can’t wait to see what Nelson brings to the Saison. 

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

@MUZZY Hey Muzzy and @Shamus O'Sean Shamus.  I am with Shamus on this one - adding first always seemed to work better for me when bottling.

I may be wrong - but am thinking that your CCA brew might be just a bit slower than other yeast - or wanted to keep fermenting to a slightly lower final SG than its mate wanted to?

And in general - am thinking - and am happy to be corrected on this - that maybe those "foaming up brews" on bottling just needed a bit more ferment time and FV conditioning to settle down and have the CO2 in solution dissipate that @Hairy wisely points out has the sugar as nucleation points and fires up and foams out and over causing bottling process duress. 

The other thing is cold crashing - so chill the FV down seriously before bottling - you may be doing this... I guess too you may not want to chill the beer either - as you want to keep the yeast going and not having to re-warm them.

So if that is the case - then I think you may be better off letting your brews finish and settle down a bit.  I was always keen to get the beer out of the FV and into bottles to avoid any infection possibilities - but the foaming does seem to indicate that there is still CO2 being produced which means ferment is not over. ...

HTH and happy to be advised by any Brewers if I am up a dry gully here... 

I've sorted given up on cold crashing for the purpose of clearing the beer. I dropped the temperature on this brew just to minimise the foaming on bottling because an early SG sample foamed up heavily.

Maybe I was sloppy with my readings but the SG was stable for 3 days @ 1.005. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Maybe I was sloppy with my readings but the SG was stable for 3 days @ 1.005. 

Fair enough Muzzler... if you were using the CCA again - reckon after it was stable maybe leave it 'FV condition' for a week or 10 days and see if things are better for bottling... some say it is good to do that anyway... but obviously everyone has their own specific methodology they are happy with ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Graubart said:

Fair enough Muzzler... if you were using the CCA again - reckon after it was stable maybe leave it 'FV condition' for a week or 10 days and see if things are better for bottling... some say it is good to do that anyway... but obviously everyone has their own specific methodology they are happy with ; )

In hindsight I probably should have left it longer but being Good Friday it was a great opportunity to get the work done. Maybe that's why they call it Good Friday because it's a good day to get a few things done around home? 😉

Not only bottled 50 litres of beer but got some gardening done and got my old dog bathed before we sent her to my son's place for the long weekend. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Graubart said:

Oh I dunno @Graubart Grey Beard, @Hairy doesn’t strike me as the bitter type...

The countdown is on GB. Enjoy the frothies today, and happy Easter to you and to all our great brewing sisters and brothers out there! Cheers 🍻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Redback Pale Ale:  (20 litre, reduced-carb version)

• 2.6kg GF Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Redback Malt
  • 200g GF Sour Grapes Malt
  • 10g Pacific Jade @25 mins
  • 25g Centennial @10 mins
  • 25g Citra @5 Mins
  • 25g Centennial @FO
  • 25g Citra @FO
  • 4g Gypsum
  • 4g Epsom Salts
  • Kveik Voss @35ºC

|| Est ABV 4.5% | IBU=32 | EBC=13.3 ||

OG=1.042 equating to around 85% eff.  🤓

IMG_20210404_141718.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

You finding that is the sweet spot for Voss Sandy?

I don't really know what the sweet spot is... 35º is as warm as my heat source in the fridge can get the brew up to so that's what I settle for!  😃

I would like to try it at 40º just to see if it's any different. I suspect not however....

• Thanks 1

Brew day yesterday. Put down a farmhouse style beer with the wild sacc strain from WL. 

pilsner

wheat

rye

halletauer M up to 25ibu

coriander seed, orange peel bitter and Dex all at 10mins. Oddly Missed my numbers by about 6 points. Not overly sure why but I’m thinking maybe my mash was a bit thick. Or.... I need to adjust my mill. 
however, coming up short was actually a  good thing considering this batch will be bottle conditioned in champagne bottles.  The secondary ferment in the bottles should get the ABV to where it should be rather than over shooting it by a mile.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, BlackSands said:
17 hours ago, Tone boy said:

You finding that is the sweet spot for Voss Sandy?

I don't really know what the sweet spot is... 35º is as warm as my heat source in the fridge can get the brew up to so that's what I settle for!  😃

I would like to try it at 40º just to see if it's any different. I suspect not however....

Hey BS, what heat source are you using in the fridge?