Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

3 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Hey BS, what heat source are you using in the fridge?

I use the old tried and true lamp!  I think it's 40W incandescent bulb...🤔   I could maybe try a 60W or even 75W I guess but I was a little concerned about using higher power bulbs as even the 40W seems to get pretty darn hot.  As it happens I have managed to nudge it up to 36ºC today.  But it's been fermenting nearly 22 hours now so is probably close to FG already!  😃

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Coopers European Lager 

Euro Lager Tin 1.7kg

Liquid Wheat Malt 1.5kg

250 grams LDM not in photo

OG:1.048 just over 22 litres

25 gram Sazz not in photo just boiled water 600 ml 15 steep 10 lid on 5 lid off strained into just mixed pot of extract and dry malt.

Pitched Euro kit yeast 7g plus Dubbya 34/70 11.5 grams 22.6 degrees In brew fridge set to 18. Coolest could get it even with ice and 2 litres pre cooled water got hot day out no where.

Well hope brew fridge can hold up it had 4 day rest and with long weekend haven't been able get new fridge ones I want not in stock. Eventually turn drinks fridge onto brew fridge When can replace it. Plan is try get brew down to 18 in next 5 or 6 hours then try lower to 15 before bed so not straining fridge too much. Not ideal for lager but was itching to get one down so not wasted my week off. Was unorganised brew morning hence no pic of hops or LDM. 

20210405_122247.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

Coopers European Lager 

Euro Lager Tin 1.7kg

Liquid Wheat Malt 1.5kg

250 grams LDM not in photo

OG:1.048 just over 22 litres

25 gram Sazz not in photo just boiled water 600 ml 15 steep 10 lid on 5 lid off strained into just mixed pot of extract and dry malt.

Pitched Euro kit yeast 7g plus Dubbya 34/70 11.5 grams 22.6 degrees In brew fridge set to 18. Coolest could get it even with ice and 2 litres pre cooled water got hot day out no where.

Well hope brew fridge can hold up it had 4 day rest and with long weekend haven't been able get new fridge ones I want not in stock. Eventually turn drinks fridge onto brew fridge When can replace it. Plan is try get brew down to 18 in next 5 or 6 hours then try lower to 15 before bed so not straining fridge too much. Not ideal for lager but was itching to get one down so not wasted my week off. Was unorganised brew morning hence no pic of hops or LDM. 

20210405_122247.jpg

I reckon that's pretty good @jamiek86  I hope your brew fridge holds up. 😟

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

It looks like there is only about 11.5 litres in that picture; am I missing something? 

I’ve taken the krausen collar off now, your not far off I thinks its about 12 litres I have to get a bigger second fermenter now I know I like saison. I was worried it was going to over flow like my last batch when filling it due to foam etc so I ripped myself off and had a few beers under the belt by then and haven’t really looked at it till you mentioned it. Oh well have to make more then. 🤷‍♂️😃 Wish I had just bought the bigger fermenter, hindsight’s a wonderful thing though but my next batch I am going to try orange or lemon peel with coriander seeds with the yeast cake again. This one tastes pretty good with the Nelson in it though just tried a sample 😋

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

I did a NEIPA for my Easter Monday brewday.  I modified my tried and tested recipe in attempt to increase head retention -  I reduced the oats (500g down from 1kg) and increased the wheat malt. 

• 6 kg  Voyager Veloria
  • 1 kg Wheat Malt
  • 500 g Oats
  • Couple of hand fulls of rice hulls
  • 200 g Wheat dry  malt (missed gravity slightly).
  • All hotside hops in Hopstand @ 80C 30minutes - 50g  each Mosaic, Citra, Galaxy
  • Pitched 200ml of verdant slurry.
  • Dry hopping in two stages - 50g  each Mosaic, Citra, Galaxy. 

Came out of the kettle like murky swamp water.  Went in to check on it this morning before and was greeted by the smell of tropical fruits - makes me thirsty thinking of it. So obviously plenty of yeast in that slurry.

Edited by NicolasW
  • Like 4

On 4/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, RDT2 said:

I’ve taken the krausen collar off now, your not far off I thinks its about 12 litres I have to get a bigger second fermenter now I know I like saison. I was worried it was going to over flow like my last batch when filling it due to foam etc so I ripped myself off and had a few beers under the belt by then and haven’t really looked at it till you mentioned it. Oh well have to make more then. 🤷‍♂️😃 Wish I had just bought the bigger fermenter, hindsight’s a wonderful thing though but my next batch I am going to try orange or lemon peel with coriander seeds with the yeast cake again. This one tastes pretty good with the Nelson in it though just tried a sample 😋

I have a craft fermenter, but no krausen collar. Judging from this saison of yours do you reckon I could get away with fermenting 11L of beer without overflowing? 

1 hour ago, John E Miller said:

I have a craft fermenter, but no krausen collar. Judging from this saison of yours do you reckon I could get away with fermenting 11L of beer without overflowing? 

I think you should be right I kept the temp mostly at 22 degrees and let it rise to 25 the krausen was bigger on this one than the 1st generation I’ve attached a photo of what it looks like now. Just make sure the edges of the lid are sanitised in case it gets up there. I added one with the flash as well

A2D0BCA4-FFEC-4795-9412-0661489EDF34.jpeg

6A8B9399-7D9E-4CDF-9E46-A2D3F5E08554.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made this yesterday

Recipe: Pacific Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.034 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 30.4 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.50 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         1          50.0 %        0.98 L        
1.50 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         2          50.0 %        0.98 L        
30.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           3          18.1 IBUs     -             
30.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0  Hop           4          12.3 IBUs     -             

Wyeast 3762
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Like 7

Time for a stout.

Recipe: 68 Stout
Style: Foreign Extra Stout

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 68.6 EBC
Estimated IBU: 68.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
4.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          62.5 %        2.61 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         2          15.6 %        0.65 L        
0.70 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         3          10.9 %        0.46 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Black Forest Rye (88.0 EBC)            Grain         4          3.1 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         5          3.1 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         6          3.1 %         0.13 L        
0.10 kg          Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC)              Grain         7          1.6 %         0.07 L        
55.00 g          Chinook [12.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min                Hop           8          68.1 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         9          -             -             

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 6.40 kg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

$25

• Like 5

RIS time... reiterated mash n all.

Recipe: RIS
Style: Imperial Stout

Recipe Specifications

Estimated OG: 1.112 SG
Estimated Color: 90.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 93.1 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
5.00 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          51.8 %        3.26 L        
2.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          20.7 %        1.30 L        
0.50 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          5.2 %         0.33 L        
0.30 kg          Chocolate Rye (Weyermann) (482.6 EBC)            Grain         4          3.1 %         0.20 L        
0.30 kg          Gladfield Dark Chocolate Malt (1300.0 EBC)       Grain         5          3.1 %         0.20 L        
0.30 kg          Gladfield Roasted Wheat (550.0 EBC)              Grain         6          3.1 %         0.20 L        
0.25 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         7          2.6 %         0.16 L        
60.00 g          Nelson Sauvin [10.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min    Hop           8          49.3 IBUs     -             
45.00 g          Chinook [12.70 %] - First Wort 60.0 min          Hop           9          43.9 IBUs     -             
1.00 kg          Sugar, Table (Sucrose) [Boil] (2.0 EBC)          Sugar         10         10.4 %        0.63 L        
1.0 pkg          Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) [23.66 ml]       Yeast         11         -             -             

Painful brew day ahead.

• Like 5

Big day in the brewhouse today 😎(garage😞) bottled my @Green Blob inspired Nelson Saison smells and tastes good and then brewed a Summer Style Saison using the yeast cake from Nelson. The Training wheels are off now I know I love Saisons making 24litres. Recipe below the wort tastes good with orange aromas due to the zest.

4.2 kg of Pilsner malt 76%

1kg of pale ale malt 

500g of oats 7%

400g of sugar 6%

10g Columbus 60min

18g Williamette 30min

10g Williamette 15min

40g Fresh orange zest just the orange part

30g coriander seeds both at 10 min

The yeast is cranking already after a couple of hours going to ferment at 26 degrees. Now I am enjoying a imperial stout will report soon in what are you drinking. Have a good night👍

• Like 6

1 hour ago, RDT2 said:

40g Fresh orange zest just the orange part

30g coriander seeds both at 10 min

I just went out to check how it’s firing and it smells like marmalade, so good 🤤 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

You have got me there @Aussiekraut  what is  Mötley Brëw ?  I googled it but I found a band. 

It is one of my go to beers. It's made with Mosaic hops and when I needed a name for the beer, I looked for synonyms of the word "mosaic". One of the hits was motley. Of course being a metal head, the first thing tat came to mind was the band and I wanted to call it Mötley Brüe but that one is already taken, to Mötley Brëw it became 🙂 It's a very simple beer made from Maris Otter and Vienna malts and Mosaic hops.

• Like 5