Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

I have just kegged a brew. 1st for me trying a FWK, used the All Inn Mercenary lager and brewed with W34/70 under pressure 1 bar. OG @ 1.052 and it finished @ 1.010. It was 4 days to hit FG and then 3 days cold crashing, fermented @ 24°. The samples tasted great and it is in the kegerator cooling it's heels and under pressure. Loving the closed pressure transfers!

I also have a WLP518 yeast in a starter for an APA that I will do Sunday. This yeast had a stressful journey to here so that is why I have done a starter to check its viability, the starter has fired up perfectly so it appears that the yeast is good despite it's high temp journey, it is Opshaug Kviek though so it can handle a bit of heat!

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I have only used maris otter twice

Mate @Norris! I reckon MO is good stuff... think me cobber @Aussiekraut AK is also a believer...

3 minutes ago, Norris! said:

kind of doing a smash but just a touch of wheat

Haha Norris luvyerwork mate pretty much every AG I do has to have some wheat in it ; )  

Graubartigebräu would be no good for those who want Gluten Free brew 😋

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

Coopers Irish stout

Irish stout 1.7kg

Light liquid Malt 1.5kg

Light Dry Malt 400 grams

22 litres OG:1.050

2 Stubbies US-05 slurry pitched 19 degrees.

Boiled 30 grams EKG for 25 mins then added another 46 grams to use them all 5 min boil 20 steep lid on off heat. Never had luck with online calculators on phone. Can someone please tell me how much IBU I've added I also hope to get some flavour coming through.

Might bottle a dozen and keg the rest hope its nice not in brew fridge as weather cooled but might need water tub during week.

20210328_134254.jpg

20210328_134758.jpg

20210328_143915.jpg

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

Boiled 30 grams EKG for 25 mins then added another 46 grams to use them all 5 min boil 20 steep lid on off heat. Never had luck with online calculators on phone. Can someone please tell me how much IBU I've added I also hope to get some flavour coming through.

Nice Jamie.  Brew calculations shown below.  Around 40 IBUs.  I added 5 minutes to the boils to simulate the 20 minute steep because you will still extract some bitterness after you turn off the heat.

untitled9.thumb.jpg.01847cc0933d6424cfc1b49e3a9415b5.jpg

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2

@Shamus O'Sean thanks for that when I clean my computer room during week and plug it in I'll be able to do that for myself appreciate the help. I figured all the extra malt added I needed some more bitterness. I only really wanted a 10 min flavour steep with lid on but brewery was bit un organised and went longer. Suppose the style shouldn't have hop flavour anyway. The next one I do will be with Nottingham and in brew fridge and cold crashed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Brew Day went well. Overshot my OG, I thought it would be lower doing a full volume no sparge mash, oh well, only to 1.051 from 1.047.

Probs maybe not for everyone but @Norris! Norris I would much rather be over on the OG than under haha 🥳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Stickers said:

cherrywood smoked ale smells amazing, did a 1kg partial with it today and for awhile there my kitchen smelt like a wood chip bbq was going on. can't wait to sample it in a few weeks 🙂

That’s awesome. What kit did you end up using?

13 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

That’s awesome. What kit did you end up using?

real ale and brew enhancer 3. yeast wise i went the can yeast (coopers r007) with 4.5g of a r007 i had in the fridge for 11.5g of can yeast. saaz, amarillo, centennial hops during the 30 mins boil

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

real ale and brew enhancer 3. yeast wise i went the can yeast (coopers r007) with 4.5g of a r007 i had in the fridge for 11.5g of can yeast. saaz, amarillo, centennial hops during the 30 mins boil

That sounds like a winner. Good luck stickers 👍

Looking at the time, I suppose technically brew day was yesterday (Sunday), but I put on a Coopers Irish Stout tin. I just went with the tin recommendations and added a kilo of BE3. Found an old recipe that said to brew it at 21C. That seemed like it might be a touch high and I was going to set it a bit lower, but then I read that Guinness is brewed at 25C, so I decided to go with 21C on this one. Hopefully it comes up decent. OG was 1.038, just a touch lower than the 1.039 predicted by my spreadsheet. 

252989378_IrishStout.thumb.jpg.3a46a56b7340e4be6193fc9524dc12d4.jpg

• Like 6

Future award winning Partial Mash Stout. 4.5 kilo of grain including Gladfield Chocolate. Coopers Irish Stout tin. Late hop addition with Fuggles. Lallemand Nottingham yeast.

This one is going in a show up against @Hoppy81  God so help me. See how I go.

20210329_133908.jpg

• Like 7

13 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Pale Man must be going to have big abv then 4.5kg plus the tin in how many litres?

Refracto gave me 1.066 so bottled will be around 7%  Keg 6.5%   around there.

I was aiming for 6.1%  So either BrewFather is out, or my efficiency is higher than i predict.

Either way i'm up against some very stiff opposition. Bring it on.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Pale Man must be going to have big abv then 4.5kg plus the tin in how many litres?

I haven't sent her to the fermenter yet still cooling, but i'm expecting about 24 litres.  All is going to depend on how the Nottingham gets through it.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I haven't sent her to the fermenter yet still cooling, but i'm expecting about 24 litres.  All is going to depend on how the Nottingham gets through it.

i try to get   2-3 litres more  then whats really needed  to  count for  the losses in kettle and fermenter   

my last brew the coopers xpa i brewed that to 25 litres to fill a 19 litre keg

knowing i will lose a 2 litres just to dry hopping

it started at 1.057   and finished at 1.011  giving it 6.04%

i sometimes think people brew to 23 litres or 20 litres  but are they allowing for the osses to trube

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i try to get   2-3 litres more  then whats really needed  to  count for  the losses in kettle and fermenter   

my last brew the coopers xpa i brewed that to 25 litres to fill a 19 litre keg

knowing i will lose a 2 litres just to dry hopping

it started at 1.057   and finished at 1.011  giving it 6.04%

i sometimes think people brew to 23 litres or 20 litres  but are they allowing for the osses to trube

Same here fella. Also have to have enough for a few bottle testers.

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Future award winning Partial Mash Stout. 4.5 kilo of grain including Gladfield Chocolate. Coopers Irish Stout tin. Late hop addition with Fuggles. Lallemand Nottingham yeast.

This one is going in a show up against @Hoppy81  God so help me. See how I go.

20210329_133908.jpg

It's on 🍻

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2021 at 10:19 AM, Graubart said:

Hey Muzzy - mate I reckon you should just get a tin of the Wheat Liquid Malt and try it - in whatever beer you choose... and see how it goes.  I use wheat in my AGs in just about every beer and I think it helps with those things above - mouthfeel - head and head retention... and lacing will come from that (on a glass w no detergent haha)... 

@MUZZY Muzzy - I thought so too back then... but narrgh not just for Wheat Beers.

So as @CLASSIC Phil's LHBS mate put him onto the Wheat for the Stout... or Phil grabbed it... anyway - it will be good in the Stout.

But I reckon it would assist any Coopers Kit brew... it's only half wheat - so the other half in the tin is just your normal Barley liquid malt.

@Beerlust Lusty noted to me ages ago - that Wheat is only useful re head retention etc - if there is already good body in the beer.  So I would put in both the BE3 and the Liquid Wheat Malt...  note that does raise the ABV and the cost... but I think it would be worth experimenting with... but hey you are the Chief Brewer so needs to fit with the beer you like. 

Mate I reckon just pick a beer you like and try the Liquid Wheat Malt and see how it goes... I reckon it would be good in any Coopers Kit Brew unless you are chasing something thin, flat and watery like Gt Swill Nthn ; )

@Tone boy Hey Toner - mate that is really good feedback mate... glad it has worked for your beers!  And mate I don't think the Lager Yeast will give a shittt whether it's wheat or barley malt... it will love both haha!  I use wheat it all sorts of beers and the yeast doesn't have a problem with it... but good question all the same!

As for Liquid Malts @Red devil 44 Reddler will attest to (when he comes back from gallavanting around Australia) their benefits... he uses Liquid Malts all the time with good results.  You there Red - have you utilised the Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt mate?

@CLASSIC Phil our Spreadsheet - attached below - have you got a copy ?  shows that the Kit+Liquid Malt tin + kilo comes out at 5.9% not sure how your mate came up with 6.8%

Spready also says that if you only use half a kilo of BE3/dry malt...  you are at 5.1% in the bottle  (Spready attached below but understand if you do not have the software nor use XL hey).  @Shamus O'Sean will know if there is a more up to date version somewhere SOS help please?

So there is also a thought - just use 0.5kg of the Dry... easy to split that and use half a kilo in another brew later...

Anyway Brewers - these are just suggestions for you to possibly try hey.... 

image.thumb.png.17f60dc2527250c303febac9ad355867.png

Extract Beer Designer V4.1.xls 1.08 MB · 3 downloads

Hi @Graubart yes I’ve used liquid malt in my wheat beers, although have not tried in others, might try one with a Pale Ale recipe 🤔🤔

• Like 1