Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

11 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Too slack my good old Master Chef Phil @CLASSIC 😬

Had one and then did not feed nor use and it went mouldy 😞

So not up to the levels of Sourdough excellence like you and the Master Baker, Brewer and Smallgoods maker @Green Blob Blobber 😋

Probs should try again but am making some nice stuff w dried yeast and long ferments overnight...  👍

Yes Sourdough is a lot of work, I tend to go Multigrain/Wholemeal etc & I like a Pana De Casa, as long as it's got crunch - you know how it is.

Good One @Graubart  Cheers

• Like 2

Brew day today or should I say debacle day today. F&$k me everything I did today went wrong and this post is not far off being in the fail thread 😅 but I managed to make beer 🍻. So I was makingthe Founders Breakfast Stout Clone which is quite a big beer with an OG of 1083 and 9.3 kg of grain in the grist. I was going for a 25 litre batch. First brain fade for some reason I calculated my total water at 45litres instead of 40 wtf. So did the mash in my 40 litre pot and did the sparge in my other pot to get my 30 litre boil accounting for my 5 litre boil off to give me a batch size of 25 litres. That was until I started pouring in my sparge wort and got up to 38 litres with still another 5 litres in the sparge pot. So a little bit of swearing then thought well I will just boil for longer to recover my OG. So I measured the pre boil was about 1050 then boiled for 1h 45 minutes following the hop additions, adding the coffee, cacao nibs and dark chocolate during the last hour. No worries I thought as I read cacao is the natural replacement for chocolate if your trying to be healthy. So I thought it would melt like chocolate so I went commando???? Wrong!!!! It didn’t melt and then blocked the tap when I tried to transfer to the fermenter. I stuffed around santizing spoons and other utensils trying to unblock it to no avail then the bloody strainer fell into the fermenter and a fly kept trying to get into the fermenter as well. I was getting wild by this stage and then I had to go to an appointment and had to stop thanks to the blockage and the longer boil as I had planned to be finished prior to the appointment. In the end I just picked up the pot and tipped the wort into the fermenter through the strainer catching the bloody cacao nibs. So 28 litres in the fridge with a starting OG of 1070. So ended up 13points down but an extra 3 litres. The purpose of today was to try out my gear with a large beer so I reckon it would of been close to being spot on if I had my volumes right. So I learnt today don’t wing it with calculations and don’t commando cacao nibs 🤣 But the wort tasted awesome, so hopefully no infections from stuffing around, buy the S04 yeast cake has taken off like a rocket 🚀 Can’t wait to try it if it works out 🤞 

D4674026-B870-4F75-89D4-172EE2BEE97D.jpeg

C2F7617B-85CE-4442-8649-0195D3B8CCDC.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Citra Pale Ale

1.7kg Aus Pale Ale

1.5 kg Liquid Malt Extract 

250 Grams Light Dry Malt

30 Grams Citra 12 min steep lid off half litre hop tea strained into fv. 

20.5 litres OG 1.054

2 stubbies US-05 slurry pitched at 18 degrees brew fridge on 18 too. Not sure if over pitch but had 4 so put 2 in be safe poured most beer off top left enough for swirl.

20210320_160016.jpg

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean thoughts on pitch rate? or anyone I.was worried about just the one. Hard to know exactly how much in it.

I have been in the same position.  I think better to have a bit more yeast than not enough.

One would probably do it, but I would have done exactly as you did and pitched both.

It'll be fine.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have been in the same position.  I think better to have a bit more yeast than not enough.

One would probably do it, but I would have done exactly as you did and pitched both.

It'll be fine.

thanks after 8 hours its got some activity after staying on 18 degrees I think it will be fine. with the cool weather coming where I live in next week I.think I'll have to use other 2 for another ale outside of fridge just not sure what

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Can I "crack" Coriander seed in my grain mill?  The mortar and pestle was an effort.

When I do cracking of spices for my cured porker products - I use my little coffee grinder - that seems to work quite nicely with a mix of finer and coarser particles @Shamus O'Sean

But not all Brewskis I guess would necessarily possess nor utilise such a device I guess...  If there is a little residue of black pepper or juniper in there I am quite happy for that to end up in my plunger coffee haha 😬

Maybe if you set the malted grain mill fine it could be a goer - can only try I guess @Shamus O'Sean

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hoegaarden Clone recipe at my brothers request.  All Grain kit from a brew supplier in Mansfield Victoria.

untitled4.jpg.26d23d802dc761cefe6d18ff50fbc05a.jpg

untitled5.jpg.f6f8e30b0eaa68364200ac63fcb0bb1b.jpg

untitled6.jpg.57ff32024f35537d54121fcd9718dad9.jpg

Hey, Brains-trust,  Can I "crack" Coriander seed in my grain mill?  The mortar and pestle was an effort.

Hey @Shamus O'Sean SOS That’s my local HBS. I find Kerry really helpful actually and a nice fella to boot. Hope your AG kit comes out well. 
Never used coriander seeds in brewing but plenty of times in curries. I grind mine in a spice and coffee grinder gizmo which works well. I imagine you could run them through the grain mill though. How fine do you grind them?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey @Shamus O'Sean SOS That’s my local HBS. I find Kerry really helpful actually and a nice fella to boot. Hope your AG kit comes out well. 
Never used coriander seeds in brewing but plenty of times in curries. I grind mine in a spice and coffee grinder gizmo which works well. I imagine you could run them through the grain mill though. How fine do you grind them?

You lucky boy Tone Boy.  I have only used Kerry's on-line website.  I have found them very helpful.  I would love to visit their shop some time.  It seems like they have a great range.

The Hoegaarden recipe was the first time I have used coriander seed.  So I do not know how fine coriander seed should be ground.  In this case, I tried to grind them pretty fine, like a powder.  The husks were still reasonably shaped.  They smelled lovely.  Kind of citrus and kind of peppery.  I think I will put the 20g for the "dry hop" through the mill.  It hardy seems worth it, but it will be done in seconds.

• Like 2

Aurora Gold

Yet another British golden ale (21 litres):

• 2.6kg GF American Ale Malt
  • 400g GF Aurora Malt
  • 200gf GF Sour Grapes
  • 10g Pacific Jade @30mins
  • 25g Kohatu @15mins
  • 25g Riwaka @10mins
  • 25g Kohatu @5 mins
  • 25g Riwaka @F.O.
  • 5g Gypsum
  • 5g Epsom Salts
  • Kveik Voss

| Est ABV=4% | IBU=28 | EBC=12 |

• Like 7

Well another Saison today no issues (no cacao nibs in a Saison thank f$$k to block everything thing) down by 3 points but did a full volume mash couldn’t be bothered sparging etc so happy with that. They say Saison you either hate or you like it, well it must be a miracle cause my whole family love it so it looks like it’s on the menu permanently and pairs very well with the crayfish😋

I will probably do this one with Styrian Goldings then do one with Nelson on the yeast cake cheers

4BF5C2F9-E6AD-4CA1-881C-9624735015AB.png

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4

Today's very simple brew is also a side by side experiment.

1.7kg Coopers Brew A IPA with 1.5kg liquid light malt extract. Making 2 x 25 litre batches fermenting at 19C. One with the kit yeast and the other (pictured FV) with reactivated Coopers commercial Pale Ale yeast.

Even though I currently have an abundance of hops I'm not making any hop additions. This kit is already well hopped and full of flavour. Also the experiment is to determine if I can detect any taste difference between CCA yeast and the Brew A kit yeast.

IMG20210325110528.jpg

IMG20210325110610.jpg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MUZZY said:

Today's very simple brew is also a side by side experiment.

1.7kg Coopers Brew A IPA with 1.5kg liquid light malt extract. Making 2 x 25 litre batches fermenting at 19C. One with the kit yeast and the other (pictured FV) with reactivated Coopers commercial Pale Ale yeast.

Even though I currently have an abundance of hops I'm not making any hop additions. This kit is already well hopped and full of flavour. Also the experiment is to determine if I can detect any taste difference between CCA yeast and the Brew A kit yeast.

IMG20210325110528.jpg

IMG20210325110610.jpg

@MUZZY  Looks like a go-er,  I have just got back from Brewmaker & about to do a Stout  a little different than I normally do, Bill says with these ingredients I should end up with 6.8%.

I will probably save the S-04 for a Pale Ale. Cheers.

20210325_132334 (2).jpg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

@MUZZY  Looks like a go-er,  I have just got back from Brewmaker & about to do a Stout  a little different than I normally do, Bill says with these ingredients I should end up with 6.8%.

I will probably save the S-04 for a Pale Ale. Cheers.

20210325_132334 (2).jpg

Hey Phil.
I've never used wheat malt extract before. If you remember you'll have to let us know how it goes with the stout kit.
Curiously, what are the poker chip looking objects in the money bag? Grolsch bottle stoppers?

Just now, MUZZY said:

Hey Phil.
I've never used wheat malt extract before. If you remember you'll have to let us know how it goes with the stout kit.
Curiously, what are the poker chip looking objects in the money bag? Grolsch bottle stoppers?

No worries Muzzy, I will keep it posted. They are replacement seals for Grolsch Bottles, I have a stack of the older original style with the ceramic stopper

I am also building up a nice collection of the new ones, bought 12 more from Bill @ $1 each as new.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I've never used wheat malt extract before

Hey Muzzy mate you should try the liquid malt wheat extract - in any of your kit brews - I think you will find it good for mouthfeel, head and head retention... be interested to hear what you think of it mate if you do try it... I believe it is 50:50 barley-wheat so not pure wheat... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Hey Muzzy mate you should try the liquid malt wheat extract - in any of your kit brews - I think you will find it good for mouthfeel, head and head retention... be interested to hear what you think of it mate if you do try it... I believe it is 50:50 barley-wheat so not pure wheat... 

Hi Graubs.

Do you find the wheat extract better than the other malt extracts? Would you recommend it in some beers more than others eg. is it better in lagers or pales or dark ales?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hi Graubs.

Do you find the wheat extract better than the other malt extracts? Would you recommend it in some beers more than others eg. is it better in lagers or pales or dark ales?

Hey Muzzy the Graubster steered me into using the LMWE & I know I will have to thank him.  After studying & talking to people I am really looking forward to using it.  Go Graubart.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1