Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

I just got back from Brewmaker, Holden Hill (LHBS) this is the only place in Adelaide you can buy the Mr Beer 1.3kg Cans other than ordering from Coopers online.

I want to fire up the Craft Kit today so I am going to add 250gm LDME to each brew along with the the 12gm Cascade Hops. This will go in 450ml Grolsch bottles with 2 Carb drops.

I have only done the Diablo IPA & Long Pay IPA so far since I have had the Craft Kit. So hoping for new tastes.

20210311_135535 (2).jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Mr. Beard, completely off topic but I'm thinking of changing over to glass bottles. I'm concerned however because of my love for the "Fizz" there may be a disaster waiting to happen. I'm currently using 10 grams of white table sugar per liter ( Approx equivalent to 3.6 Vol)  bulk primed and conditioned in the 750ml Coopers PET bottles. (I've been doing mostly Lagers) Would this level of carbonation present issues when using glass bottles in your opinion? I don't tend to store the beer for lengthy periods either. 😁

I am currently drinking Lagers that are in Grolsch Swing Tops. Two carb drops in each one was then Lagered for two months. The carbonation for me was right, I like a bit of fizz in my beers especially Lagers.

Prior to using the Swing Tops I was bottling in Asahi 330 ml bottles. These were the thick glass ones, crown seal (not screw top) and using one carb per bottle. One carb drop per bottle in these sized bottles was fine for me.  Asahi have stopped using these bottles and have gone over to the thinner glass ones.

Many people swear by the thin walled screw top bottles and have never had a problem with them, however I won't use them.

As Graubart says a out of control infection which feeds on "everything" is what you have to take care with.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mickep said:

Hey Mr. Beard, completely off topic but I'm thinking of changing over to glass bottles. I'm concerned however because of my love for the "Fizz" there may be a disaster waiting to happen. I'm currently using 10 grams of white table sugar per liter ( Approx equivalent to 3.6 Vol)  bulk primed and conditioned in the 750ml Coopers PET bottles. (I've been doing mostly Lagers) Would this level of carbonation present issues when using glass bottles in your opinion? I don't tend to store the beer for lengthy periods either. 😁

Since @Graubart thought I might be of help, I'll give my 2c.

Typically, a German Hefe Weizen is carbed somewhere between 3 and 4 vols from what I gather. Considering it is bottled, a good heavy bottle should be ok. 

I don't want to be responsible for any beer bombs, so take it all with a grain of salt. A good heavy bottle should be able to withstand your carbonation but I'd stay away from the thin flimsy twist tops most commercial brewers use. Good old heavy pry open bottles should be able to handle it. I use all sorts of bottles but I typically carb to 2.7-2.9 vols, so a fair bit lower than you.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2021 at 1:13 PM, Graubart said:

Been in FV since October @Green Blob Blobber?

Yes

On 3/10/2021 at 3:51 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Next batches I am throwing out the yeast and getting 2 different yeasts. One will be roselare blend and the other I am looking around and still undecided. If you have any thoughts would love to hear them.

Yes, the Flanders was the Lambic Blend, and a cracker too, 6 brews in and this last was actually tastes better than the last I think.
The Berliner is on the Berliner B;end and promising too.

I guess anything that has a decent variety of yeasts and bacterias would be the go. I am not very experienced.

• Like 2

Coopers lager - partial mash

big night of brewing at Chez Tone. Punched out a coopers lager

Coopers lager tin 1.7 kg

600g gladfield Pilsner malt

600g Maris otter

300g dextrose

250g LDME

Nelson Suavin and saaz at flameout 

repitched W34/70. 

It’s off and racing already, less than 3 hours after pitching the yeast. In the fridge set at 12 degrees (FV currently at 17 degrees and on its way down)

D51D93F6-6118-45A6-89DB-9B6FCBECEE75.jpeg

F0D6F528-62FB-4C18-A1C3-15CCDB8889B5.jpeg

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Coopers lager - partial mash

big night of brewing at Chez Tone. Punched out a coopers lager

Coopers lager tin 1.7 kg

600g gladfield Pilsner malt

600g Maris otter

300g dextrose

250g LDME

Nelson Suavin and saaz at flameout 

repitched W34/70. 

It’s off and racing already, less than 3 hours after pitching the yeast. In the fridge set at 12 degrees (FV currently at 17 degrees and on its way down)

D51D93F6-6118-45A6-89DB-9B6FCBECEE75.jpeg

F0D6F528-62FB-4C18-A1C3-15CCDB8889B5.jpeg

Sounds like an easy drinker that one mate.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Sounds like an easy drinker that one mate.

Yeah nothing too fancy with that one @Greeny1525229549 Greeny.  Just trying to build up stock and I haven’t tried the coopers lager kit before so thought I’d give it a run. 
That’s the third lager in a row on that yeast so I might head back into ale territory for my next adventure. Cheers 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Journeyman said:

Theoretically my Fermenter King arrives tomorrow so I am in planning ,phase for what to do as a 1st brew. Kinda thinking an XPA as I have one on tap conditioning so it will be interesting to see at what point the quality matches up.

Well I just got a text from Auspost assuring me my package is coming today so in an hour or so (if normal delivery time) I will be in possession of this... I al;ready have the spunding kit so right to go for the W/E brewing... 😄

Fermenter King Gen 3 - Pressure Fermenter Unitank

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks good @Journeyman  how many litres is that ?

35 litres total & 500ml bottle underneath. 

From here - the only place I could find with anything like it that was NOT out of stock. 😄 https://aussiebrewmakers.com.au/fermenter-king-gen-3-pressure-fermenter-unitank/

I was originally looking at the Fermentasaurus pressure kit at KL but apart from height, I think this is better - that central tube makes a difference.

Edited by Journeyman
  • Like 1

Recipe: Hoppy Saison
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Saison
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------

Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 9.3 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.5 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
2.00 kg          Pale Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.9 EBC)            Grain         1          40.0 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          20.0 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Wheat Malt (Barrett Burston) (3.0 EBC)           Grain         4          20.0 %        0.65 L        
10.00 g          El Dorado [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min              Hop           5          16.4 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Hort4337 [9.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min    Hop           6          12.5 IBUs     -             
40.00 g          Kohatu [6.50 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           7          8.6 IBUs      -             

--------------------------------

• Like 5

On 3/11/2021 at 1:23 PM, Graubart said:

Mate I believe Coops Plazzi are 740 and Coops Largies are 750... probs nil diff but slightly bigger vol helpful re dilution.... if using Coopers Lollies...  but you are Bulk Carbing hey Mick?

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus might be better placed to comment or @Aussiekraut as they are better at bottling tech than me - am kegging most of the time and otherwise use Coopers Lollies - but I guess I can try to help as did plenty in Bottles too past years.  Or @Greeny1525229549 Greeny - you so some of your Belgians in glass Bottles?

So I only brewed in Coopers Largies or older solid glass largies... I would not use thin new glass screw top bottles.  And then I only used to use Coopers Lollies 2 per bottle - or those little plastic gadgets with scoop for priming sugar one end for Largies and scoop at other end for Stubbies...  not a lot of bulk prime sorry. 

I would've thought you would be right tho @Mickep Mick but - I guess the best way is to try it out - do a batch with half a dozen good solid glass largies - and the rest Plazzis and see how it goes?

I reckon if you have fully brewed out your first ferment, and then follow the same secondary ferment bulk prime for the glass fellas you should be right.  I believe the biggest issue for Botty Bombs is not fully fermented out Primary Ferment or infection with say Diastaticus/wild yeats which can feed upon non-fermentables that W34 US05 etc cannot eat.   So effectively you end up with a lot more fermentables in the bottle. 

I don't think I have ever managed to make a bottle-bomb out of a Coopers Largie.... a few might have 'spat the dummy' but no explosions.  I did have some explosions ages ago when starting out doing Coopers Kits - at the time I was over in the Land of Pom - and using Boots the Chemist glass Pint Bottles and lost a cupple there - but think that I had not brewed out the first ferment well enough or me helping mate on the sugar additions with a teaspoon was a bit too generous?

Any new change to your standard Brewery process like that @Mickep Mick I reckon trialling a few before going holus bolus over to the new methodology - is worth a try hey - Change Management haha !?! ; )

But I am with you mate - good fizz in a beer is a beautiful thing 🥳

HTH but there might be some Bottle Guns and Bulk Priming experts out there that might be able to help also?

Oh Great Bearded One, I missed this post sorry bout that. Great advice mate. I am Bulk carbing, and in the primary FV. I've got that down pat. I'll use the slow and steady methodology mate and should be okay.  I have noticed with a bulk prime of 10 grams of table sugar per litre that the plastic PET 740ml bottles are rock solid after 6-7 days or so. That was my only concern with using the glass at that level of carbonation I guess.  But like you say I'll give it a go on a 6 pack of glass bottles and see how it goes. I take your point about making sure the wort has fully fermented in the primary FV too before bottling. 

I love the big Fizz mate especially in the lagers - I tone it down a tad when going down the ale route though.  Thanks for sharing the knowledge mate much appreciated.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Mickep said:

I love the big Fizz mate especially in the lagers - I tone it down a tad when going down the ale route though.  Thanks for sharing the knowledge mate much appreciated.

Cheers Mick

Yeah gold - trial a few and see how they go... I think that @Aussiekraut AK also made some suggestions up there in the thread ; )

Haha funny me too mate - I suspect that many would say my beers are overcarbed both Aley and Lagery brews haha!

@Norris! Norris mate - I think you too run a bit higher on pouring PSI Pressure out of the Keg?  Most I think do around 12 PSI... I usually run more like 18 or so.. I think you might also run a bit higher Norris from memory?

• Like 2

On 3/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Since @Graubart thought I might be of help, I'll give my 2c.

Typically, a German Hefe Weizen is carbed somewhere between 3 and 4 vols from what I gather. Considering it is bottled, a good heavy bottle should be ok. 

I don't want to be responsible for any beer bombs, so take it all with a grain of salt. A good heavy bottle should be able to withstand your carbonation but I'd stay away from the thin flimsy twist tops most commercial brewers use. Good old heavy pry open bottles should be able to handle it. I use all sorts of bottles but I typically carb to 2.7-2.9 vols, so a fair bit lower than you.

Hey AK, sorry I missed this reply - many thanks mate. I'll definitely make sure I get solid bottles as you've suggested and steer clear of the cheap and nasties. Thanks for sharing mate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Cheers @CLASSIC, had a few teething problems with the Fermzilla but I think I’ve sorted them now.

This is a standard S & W Recipe Pack I buy from my LHBS, very close to the real deal.

I was looking at the 27l & the 55l on Keglands website, seems to me the bigger one would be the go but I would have to study the dimensions re: fitting in fridge etc.

They certainly look impressive.

Cheers.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Red devil 44 said:

Stone & Wood Clone.

Re-harvested Morgan’s American Ale Yeast, fired up 2 hrs after pitching, going gangbusters 😃😃

Hey RD,

are you able to tell us the quantities of each of the Cascade and Galaxy hops used in the recipe and how  and when they were introduced. TIA

6 hours ago, Graubart said:

Cheers Mick

Yeah gold - trial a few and see how they go... I think that @Aussiekraut AK also made some suggestions up there in the thread ; )

Haha funny me too mate - I suspect that many would say my beers are overcarbed both Aley and Lagery brews haha!

@Norris! Norris mate - I think you too run a bit higher on pouring PSI Pressure out of the Keg?  Most I think do around 12 PSI... I usually run more like 18 or so.. I think you might also run a bit higher Norris from memory?

Yeah I run mine, all my brews, at 15 psi, it has reached 18 on a few occasions. I like the carbonated bite it adds. I am sure it is not recommended for all styles but I like it and it is my brewery (house) so I drink em how I like em. Hahah

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I was looking at the 27l & the 55l on Keglands website, seems to me the bigger one would be the go but I would have to study the dimensions re: fitting in fridge etc.

They certainly look impressive.

Cheers.

Yeah @CLASSIC, I looked at the big one myself ( would of fit in my all fridge ) but thought I would go with the smaller one first.

‘I scored a 500L all fridge which is quiet large inside, old girl down the street had it for sale for $80, so snapped it up a while back. 
Am thinking the SS Kegmenter below will be my next investment, it would fit in my all fridge. 

C9B5DFFB-E813-472A-B82D-A7E9F3BEC4C7.jpeg