Coopers Community

BREW DAY!! WATCHA’ GOT, EH? 2021

Hairy

I haven't done it with only 500 grams I've always bumped it up towards the 5% a bit. think the mid is more traditional but as with any kit it can be played around with. I usually only get close to 4% with adding a kg of light dry malt to a kit so struggle to see how half a kg could make it 3.4%. maby they mean after bottle conditioning i suppose that's more reasonable but I never get the attenuation I should even with fresh ingredients and temp control.

3 hours ago, Stickers said:

has anyone tried making the cooper's english bitter kit and kilo as is (kit+500g ldm only)? wondering if it really is more of a mid strength 3.4% like the can math suggests or am i missing something.

Like Jamie, I have only done it with at least 1kg of LDM.  Always a nice beer.  I think @MUZZY has done it with the 500g LDM and has not complained about the results.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Like Jamie, I have only done it with at least 1kg of LDM.  Always a nice beer.  I think @MUZZY has done it with the 500g LDM and has not complained about the results.

Yeah, I made it once with just 500g LDM. You could not tell it was midstrength. Very full flavoured.

Your memory is very good, @Shamus O'Sean.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Stickers said:

has anyone tried making the cooper's english bitter kit and kilo as is (kit+500g ldm only)? wondering if it really is more of a mid strength 3.4% like the can math suggests or am i missing something.

Absolutely lovely beer, I have one on tap atm

• Like 2

On 1/7/2021 at 2:52 PM, jamiek86 said:

Golden Crown Lager

GCL tin 1.7kg

Liquid LME 1.5kg

21 litres kit yeast plus pack s-189 11.5 g

pitched at 19 degrees BF set on 14

OG 1.044 will do hop tea with EKG and Sazz before kegged next weekend 

fg of this only ended up being 1014 was expecting at least 1.010. its only 1.010 if take reading when falls and rest on side does anyone take this reading or after spin and settles in middle more serious?

Second AG batch today.  Just a simple made up recipe, was just looking for a session beer so I could play around with new kit getting my processes more efficient and software set up properly.  Decided to put my second Beer Smith license onto the brew shed computer and entered all my inventory and costs etc.  Made up a little spreadsheet that converts all my required numbers from the malt house specs so I can enter into Beer Smith, hopefully they are close.  Still learning this strange maltsers language.

Anyway its 1/2 way through a mash.  Will see how this one goes re efficiency etc.

Cheers - AL

True Blue Pale Ale ver 1.PNG

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 5

Brew Day Woohoo... Summer Ale of sorts... seems like I will be getting a bit of a run of Golden Amber brews coming up... as I have plenty of Vienna, Munich, Maris Otter and Voyager Veloria haha... will have to get some more of the paler malts ale and pilsener back in when I get a chance ; )  Today we have Vienna, Munich, Maris Otter and some Voyager Atlas and Wheat...  have yet to decide on the Hopping Regime... hafta see what is left in the Fridge haha... but will be a bit later on in the boil : )

image.thumb.png.4910aedc9d6315fa5e7dae041f951075.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 5

Groundhog Day... yeehaaa.... Brew Day again... this time a Lager of sorts... Voyager Atlas and Vienna in the main... then some Munich, Maris Otter (some Euro malt for its diastatic value) and my old friend Wheat... going 66-68 for the mash and will check for the fridge for hops... probably do a standard Hallertau Mittlefrüh job maybe a bit of Mandarina Bavaria at FO as well... so far besides a few spillages here or there ; ) things have gone pretty well... going again today as it is a cool night tonight for cooling... things are gunna warm up so am going again while the temps are good.  Pics - Mash tun heating up - with basket - milling - milled malt - mashin....not in order below with my sincere apologies ; )   Cheers ye Brewhahas and Good Brewing! 

image.thumb.png.3a56497cba16a7a9900b5fc6db70e170.png

• Like 6

Up top Coopers Aus Lager tin 1.7kg plus 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt 21 and half litres plus kit yeast pitched on 18 degrees. OG 1.044

Craft Bewitched Amber Ale just the 1.3kg tin to 8.5 litres and kit yeast pitched at 28 degrees brang it down to 18 over 3 to 4 hours in water tub with ice blocks. OG 1.043 sitting nice and happy together in brew fridge set on 18 degrees 😃 🍻

20210122_153842.jpg

• Like 4

Question @Graubart directly at you ol Bearded One, as you have the same basket set up as me. 

How much water do you allow for mash, and how much sparge?

BrewFather told me to Mash in with 20 litres and sparge with 15 litres. I hit my numbers apart from being a litre down in my fermenter. 23 down to 22. Which is ok i fill a keg with spare for a bottle or two.

When i mashed in it seemed 20 litres wasn't enough, and i could have got away with less sparge water.

Mate I think that I am not much help to you as I just got with the flow pretty much... got no Software other than word docs and XL at the moment...  Got no Brew Mothers or electronic RDBMS web enabled bluetooth festivities out here in the bush mate... not yet anyway ; )  Just a dirty old bush bucket brewer and try to make things work to get at least 18L for the keg mate... as am sick of bottling.... mmm should not be so bllllardy ungrateful should I mate?

And somehow - it sounds daft - but your basket looks smaller in the Mash Tun too....  but maybe you are seven foot tall and that is a lofty view... my vessel resides on the galley bench... and I am not so tall it seems...  

image.thumb.png.9c1cba94f92e3294aa36580c679cdf73.png

Pretty sure I have got 50L vessel... and then I head for like 28-30L of strike water at 64 or 66-68 degC depending upon brews... and then I just drain the basket once done... and check out the remaining volume and top up to try to get to around 27L or so...  just fill the kettle with the Inky temp control and warm to same mash temp and then rinse the basket once lifted out.... and use a potato masher to squeeze the last juice out...  then boil the fkfkkkkfkkfkfkfk out of it for an hour... 

Am trying to hit around 25 in the SS vessel - as we lose around 5 off the tap base... and I drop out the trub with my overnight cooling... and then from the FV lose another few litres... trying to hit like 18-19L available brew to put into the keg. .. that is how I work it.

I dunno whether that is any use to you mate or not sorry - but I would encourage you to put more water in first up... and then just see how you go... and don't worry so much about waht Brew Dad or Brew Aunty has to say... 

Mmmm maybe I need to "get with the program" and move into modernity mate instead of being a Bushpig Bucket Brewer?

Hope that helps mate?

Edited by Graubart
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Mate I think that I am not much help to you as I just got with the flow pretty much... got no Software other than word docs and XL at the moment...  Got no Brew Mothers or electronic RDBMS web enabled bluetooth festivities out here in the bush mate... not yet anyway ; )  Just a dirty old bush bucket brewer and try to make things work to get at least 18L for the keg mate... as am sick of bottling.... mmm should not be so bllllardy ungrateful should I mate?

And somehow - it sounds daft - but your basket looks smaller in the Mash Tun too....  but maybe you are seven foot tall and that is a lofty view... my vessel resides on the galley bench... and I am not so tall it seems... 

Pretty sure I have got 50L vessel... and then I head for like 28-30L of strike water at 64 or 66-68 degC depending upon brews... and then I just drain the basket once done... and check out the remaining volume and top up to try to get to around 27L or so...  just fill the kettle with the Inky temp control and warm to same mash temp and then rinse the basket once lifted out.... and use a potato masher to squeeze the last juice out...  then boil the fkfkkkkfkkfkfkfk out of it for an hour... 

Am trying to hit around 25 in the SS vessel - as we lose around 5 off the tap base... and I drop out the trub with my overnight cooling... and then from the FV lose another few litres... trying to hit like 18-19L available brew to put into the keg. .. that is how I work it.

I dunno whether that is any use to you mate or not sorry - but I would encourage you to put more water in first up... and then just see how you go... and don't worry so much about waht Brew Dad or Brew Aunty has to say... 

Mmmm maybe I need to get with the program mate instead of being a Bushpig Bucket Brewer?

Nah thats bloody excellent advice, and amazing post. Could be pinned for beginner All Grain brewers here.

I'm hearing exactly what you're saying. Maybe i'm too fussy to start with but i always endeavour to do the hard things first, maybe i should take a step back.

I'm going good and hitting that gravity, but what is annoying i can be a litre too light, or too much. My boil off rate could be out of whack. I'm within a bees penis of nailing it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

I'm hearing exactly

Naargh mate you are doing great... just pump up the volume on the first mash I think... and just experiment mate... you have brewed some great AG beers already... just try some more vols on the first Mash and see how you go... am thinking more vols for BIAB in the mash and less sparging is a reasonable approach - @Otto Von Blotto - Kelsey - I think that is what us BIAB folk head for?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Graubart said:

Naargh mate you are doing great... just pump up the volume on the first mash I think... and just experiment mate... you have brewed some great AG beers already... just try some more vols on the first Mash and see how you go... am thinking more vols for BIAB in the mash and less sparging is a reasonable approach - @Otto Von Blotto - Kelsey - I think that is what us BIAB folk head for?

I mash with the full amount of water needed for the batch and don't sparge at all. I could, but I can't be bothered 😂

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I mash with the full amount of water needed for the batch and don't sparge at all. I could, but I can't be bothered 😂

Thanks OVB - and @Pale Man PM - maybe give that a try some time.. with close to the full amount of water required for the batch (i.e. not forgetting you lose some at boil stage, lose some in the bottom of the Boil Kettle, and lose some in the bottom of the FV at time of bottling or kegging).

I largely do the same... I just top up with a few jugs of 67 deg water thereafter and especially if I am down a bit on volume... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi @Aussiekraut, what is the purpose of that angled pipe on the recirculation tube?  I'm always curious when I see some different looking equipment. 

It goes through the lid during the mash, so the recirculated wort doesn't splash about and just nicely flows onto the top screen. 

• Like 2

On 1/22/2021 at 2:54 PM, jamiek86 said:

Up top Coopers Aus Lager tin 1.7kg plus 1.5kg Light Liquid Malt 21 and half litres plus kit yeast pitched on 18 degrees. OG 1.044

Craft Bewitched Amber Ale just the 1.3kg tin to 8.5 litres and kit yeast pitched at 28 degrees brang it down to 18 over 3 to 4 hours in water tub with ice blocks. OG 1.043 sitting nice and happy together in brew fridge set on 18 degrees 😃 🍻

20210122_153842.jpg

Nice looking brews mate, but I’d be a bit worried about the ar%e falling out of that shelf above 🥺🥺

• Haha 1