Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

So been on my latest homebrew for a few weeks now, the over carafa'ed porter. It's tasting a bit one dimensional given the amount of carafa in there so thinking of ways to make it better.

This is a blend of 3/4 porter, 1/4 2yr barrel aged RIS (1 yr in barrel). Mate, that's what it's been missing and to think I was going to throw roasted coconut and Coco nibs at it.

Defantly more stout then porter though, fitting on these colder nights in Adelaide.

20210619_180629.jpg

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

So been on my latest homebrew for a few weeks now, the over carafa'ed porter. It's tasting a bit one dimensional given the amount of carafa in there so thinking of ways to make it better.

This is a blend of 3/4 porter, 1/4 2yr barrel aged RIS (1 yr in barrel). Mate, that's what it's been missing and to think I was going to throw roasted coconut and Coco nibs at it.

Defantly more stout then porter though, fitting on these colder nights in Adelaide.

20210619_180629.jpg

Nice! I have been blending all the beers I have on tap just to see how they are...mostly I prefer the unblended versions but sometimes I am so surprised at the blend it shocks me.  The beer looks nice also. I have a new found appreciation for stouts and such now and that looks tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like a nice brew Chap, definitely the weather for it, I have been getting into it myself,  I can see a yabby in your fish tank, I hope you are breeding them as I like them also.

Cheers.🦀

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Nice! I have been blending all the beers I have on tap just to see how they are...mostly I prefer the unblended versions but sometimes I am so surprised at the blend it shocks me.  The beer looks nice also. I have a new found appreciation for stouts and such now and that looks tasty.

Yeah, the head doesn't hang around but this will change when I add it to the kegs.

The RIS brings in a mixture of brett, oak, Whiskey, and rounds out the malt. the porter just adds a bit of needed sweetness to the dryed out RIS 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks like a nice brew Chap, definitely the weather for it, I have been getting into it myself,  I can see a yabby in your fish tank, I hope you are breeding them as I like them also.

Cheers.🦀

Would love to, just need to setup a few tanks in the backyard. This is my boys pet yabbie they caught at Easter... I am constantly been woken up by him crawling down the hallway, the big bugger needs a bigger tank.

Also, beer is needed mate just need to have a quiet weekend

Edited by Marksmans Gift
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I like to eat them 🤣 🍽️

Me too.  I would kill for a good feed of fresh cooked yabbies.   All washed down with a nice beer or three. 😀

Edited by iBooz2

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

@Graubart and @Mickep My version of Mitchie boys pub lager in the pic posted above was (for 23 L batch) 70" total boil as it was predominately Pilsner malt.  15 g PoR @ 60",  10 g EKG @ 30",  10 g PoR @ 30",  10 g EKG @15"  10 g EKG whirlpool for 20".  No dry hop.

My made up recipe of "Leigh's Lager was (for 23 L batch)  60" total boil as it was predominately Pale Ale Malt.   8 g Super Pride @ 60",  15 g PoR @ 10".  No dry hop.

Cool thanks @iBooz2 Boozer and by the way of your brew Boozer also @MitchBastard Mitchie...

Funny - I made some 'easy drinking' beer - a pseudo Lager - with EKG and some mates who normally do megaswill really liked it... so maybe a bit closer to Aussie Pub Beer then...

Will give that PoR and EKG Hopping Regime a run some time soon ; ) 👍

• Like 2

3 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Me too.  I would kill for a good feed of fresh cooked yabbies.   All washed down with a nice beer or three. 😀

Wok stir fried yabby tails in chilli, ginger, lemongrass, shallots, garlic white wine - you get the drift. If you haven't eaten them all by then you could also serve some rice !! 🦀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2021 at 4:24 PM, jamiek86 said:

@Barramullafella next time read the can I think it might be proper lager yeast even if can't lager bottles brewed cool with proper lager yeast will still make it taste better.

Hi Jamiek86 I went and read the can but cannot find any reference to what the yeast is, lager or ale. Cheers.

woolies lager ingredients.jpg

1 hour ago, Popo said:

Hey mate, there's a PDF in this thread with some info on the supplied yeasts. Hopefully it's some help.

Yeast 

G'day Popo, they were talking about the Woolworth's branded beer kit cans so they will not be in that Coopers list.  Someone said they were made and packed by Tooheys for Woolworth's. 

Good effort anyway and your post might help someone else.

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

G'day Popo, they were talking about the Woolworth's branded beer kit cans so they will not be in that Coopers list.  

I had a quick look back for the original quote before posting that but didn't see it. It's quite clear in retrospect though. The packed for Woolworths could have even given it away.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 9:38 PM, Graubart said:
On 6/19/2021 at 12:34 PM, iBooz2 said:

@Graubart and @Mickep My version of Mitchie boys pub lager in the pic posted above was (for 23 L batch) 70" total boil as it was predominately Pilsner malt.  15 g PoR @ 60",  10 g EKG @ 30",  10 g PoR @ 30",  10 g EKG @15"  10 g EKG whirlpool for 20".  No dry hop.

My made up recipe of "Leigh's Lager was (for 23 L batch)  60" total boil as it was predominately Pale Ale Malt.   8 g Super Pride @ 60",  15 g PoR @ 10".  No dry hop.

Cool thanks @iBooz2 Boozer and by the way of your brew Boozer also @MitchBastard Mitchie...

Funny - I made some 'easy drinking' beer - a pseudo Lager - with EKG and some mates who normally do megaswill really liked it... so maybe a bit closer to Aussie Pub Beer then...

Will give that PoR and EKG Hopping Regime a run some time soon ; ) 👍

Good onya Boozer, many thanks mate.

Week 4 in the bottle and time to crack a second test of the Woolale Plus 3.7 is Woolies lager 1.7kg, LME [Saunders 1kg, 250g dextrose, 250g maltodextrine, 25 lt H2O, kit yeast.  Head was okay, colour is okay, Taste slight sweet, malty, light bitterness, s creamy or smooth feel in mouth with ample carbonation. I gave this 9/10 as turned out a nice beer - but a little sweet for my liming. But, I will still drink it 🙂 cheers.

Woolale Plus 4 weeks.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/17/2021 at 8:42 AM, Graubart said:

Lush @MitchBastard Mitchie... just Lush!  Luvyerwork.. 

And not a Saison in sight Wooohoooo 😆

Never fear O bearded one. Now all kegs are full, I’ve gotta saison recipe to go which will be bottle conditioned in champers bottles. 

actually gunna throw all my saison recipes in the bin and start from scratch. New yeast, very basic grain bill. Build up and tweak one thing at a time rather than throwing the kitchen sink or (barn yard) at then which I usually do. I’ll be sure to keep ye posted 

• Haha 1

Latest English Bitter - 30% Gladfield Aurora malt in place of the usual crystal malts etc.   It's OK but I think I prefer my versions with crystal & biscuit malts to be honest.  50g each of Harlequin and Goldings hops went into this one.  It's the second brew I've done at my new address and like the first brew it too is exhibiting quite poor head performance... curious.  🤨

AuroraBitter_Jun2021.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1