Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Last beer for the night, Mangrove Jack's Belgian Ale, these pouches & of course the LME really give it wings, this was bottled 15th May & very drinkable, my mate who has just had surgery was round for a couple but sadly ( for him ) he can't drink much ATM due to medication etc but he said he would be back !!

I showed him the responses on my post re: Another happy customer prior to his surgery last Wednesday night as he was overwhelmed & now is starting to believe my ravings about what a great bunch of blokes (& Christina ) we have on this forum, so Cheers All.

Phil

20210613_165450 (2).jpg

• Like 8

I got my results back from the IPA comp. I did fair on the NEIPA but pretty horribly on the American IPA. It didn't taste right to me and I shouldn't Of sent it but I felt that it came right...obviously not, it got 17, 21 and 22 out of 50. That isn't good.

The NEIPA did slightly better, 31, 33 and 34 out of 50. It had lost a fair bit of aroma and had grassiness to it was the main hits. I thought that was fair feedback and on point. I am disappointed but pretty happy with the feedback which will help me Brew better. Live and learn and brew on.

I attached one score sheet of the 3 judges for the NEIPA, the medium score for that beer, to show the main ups and downs clearly.

Screenshot_20210613-191350_Firefox.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Norris! said:

I got my results back from the IPA comp. I did fair on the NEIPA but pretty horribly on the American IPA. It didn't taste right to me and I shouldn't Of sent it but I felt that it came right...obviously not, it got 17, 21 and 22 out of 50. That isn't good.

The NEIPA did slightly better, 31, 33 and 34 out of 50. It had lost a fair bit of aroma and had grassiness to it was the main hits. I thought that was fair feedback and on point. I am disappointed but pretty happy with the feedback which will help me Brew better. Live and learn and brew on.

I attached one score sheet of the 3 judges for the NEIPA, the medium score for that beer, to show the main ups and downs clearly.

I commend you for having a go mate and it’s all experience, you know how the system works now and will be even better next time 🍻 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

I commend you for having a go mate and it’s all experience, you know how the system works now and will be even better next time 🍻 

I think your right. I was stretching myself some as I don't brew a lot of IPAS or high strength beers but in hindsight I would use a different yeast. Kveik at high temps maybe extracted too much grassiness...But I think that came from the massive cube hop. Which is from my no chill process. I will be looking at chilling, I have a chiller, I will probably use it next hoppy brew? I don't want to adjust too much but that is one area that I think could be the issue with grassiness and/or the 1st dry hop at 35c? Yeah a fair bit of not good practice there.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Mate you may not of scored well  but  you had ago  and you felt  they wasnt upto scratch

but what harm has it really done you in the long run 

as i see it its given you something  to work on  

maybe brew these batches again for the next comp  

see what the judges come up with   

it might be the ideal way to find the balnce of these beers

besides i am to frightened to enter a comp lol it may turn me off brewing lol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/12/2021 at 8:12 PM, kmar92 said:

I have a stout that has been kegged for 1 month that I am trying my best to just let age a little, but it is hard, the damned keg is with me in my study just staring at me!

That's outstanding will-power.  I kegged a stout last night, carbed overnight, drinking now.  Zero will-power.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, ozdevil said:

Mate you may not of scored well  but  you had ago  and you felt  they wasnt upto scratch

but what harm has it really done you in the long run 

as i see it its given you something  to work on  

maybe brew these batches again for the next comp  

see what the judges come up with   

it might be the ideal way to find the balnce of these beers

besides i am to frightened to enter a comp lol it may turn me off brewing lol

It was good feedback. The overall results came in and I was very close to placing in the NEIPA category but still room for improvement.

20210613_225542.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

OK the will power has gone. The damn keg just keeps staring at me so corny has gone in for chilling tonight!

A couple of factors came into play in my situation:

• I had an empty slot in the kegerator on kegging day*. 
  • The keg contained cold crashed beer at 1°C. 
  • Seemed a waste to let the contents of that keg warm up to room temperature, only to have to cool it back down later.

* Since starting to brew for my brother every other brew day (fortnight), it has affected my supply lines.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, kmar92 said:

OK the will power has gone. The damn keg just keeps staring at me so corny has gone in for chilling tonight!

YA shoulda just stuck a big sign on it saying "KEG MT - ignore"

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, stquinto said:

And this is my Timothy Taylor’s Landlord clone. It’s panning out nicely too, deffo recommend the recipe

023E22D9-CE9D-4569-AA8C-86BB8D2C3E61.jpeg

I like the layout of that book you have there Stquinto.  Its in a very easy format that sums up the whole recipe except it has no mention of yeast or ferment profile, is that on another page?

Am going to design a spreadsheet for my recipes in that exact same format and use them as run sheets on brew day as it has everything needed for quick reference.

Whats the book called please?

Cheers - AL

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

20210613_165450 (2).jpg

Phil, I notice in a lot of your beer tasting shots, you seem quite happy to pour a glass and then later another from the bottle.  I always decant the whole bottle carefully into a beer jug so as to leave the yeast sediment behind and that way get reasonably clear beers in the glass.  Is not your second pour from the bottle very yeasty from the stirred up sediment or don't you mind that in your glass?  Just wondering.🤔

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Phil, I notice in a lot of your beer tasting shots, you seem quite happy to pour a glass and then later another from the bottle.  I always decant the whole bottle carefully into a beer jug so as to leave the yeast sediment behind and that way get reasonably clear beers in the glass.  Is not your second pour from the bottle very yeasty from the stirred up sediment or don't you mind that in your glass?  Just wondering.🤔

Hi Al,

I have poured the entire bottle into a glass jug several times & also into big glasses, you can see a couple of jugs centre shelf left & right. TBH I have never really had any yeast sediment & /or found any in bottle or glass, if it is there I probably don't notice it, however I see your point & when it is happy hour I will use a jug & see if I can tell any difference.

I have a habit of before opening a bottle, I usually turn it over, not shake, just once to check the carbonation signs on the base of the bottle & open & pour.

There is merit in your method & I totally understand the reasons but I guess the hop presence takes me away from worrying about yeast taste.

I admit my beer photos are nowhere as clear as some but I don't CC & cloudy beer doesn't  bother me generally.

Cheers

Phil

20210614_090146 (2).jpg

• Like 3

Just watching the footy trying my Irish Red kegged on Friday, kind of reminds of a Munich Dunkel a little bit has quite a bit of Caraaroma in it, very happy with colour and clarity has a touch of roast or toast 🤣I think, nicely balanced though and very drinkable. 

400ADF9D-8222-4955-84FB-3D0AC8225A2E.jpeg

ABF9F283-7512-44F3-9875-5828821449DE.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Just watching the footy trying my Irish Red kegged on Friday, kind of reminds of a Munich Dunkel a little bit has quite a bit of Caraaroma in it, very happy with colour and clarity has a touch of roast or toast 🤣I think, nicely balanced though and very drinkable. 

400ADF9D-8222-4955-84FB-3D0AC8225A2E.jpeg

ABF9F283-7512-44F3-9875-5828821449DE.jpeg

love the colour  of the irish red and got some good clarity  , nice head  

i  like a good irish red  but i am also thinking i wonder how some of these irish reds would go with  a bit of nitro
in them

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

love the colour  of the irish red and got some good clarity  , nice head  

i  like a good irish red  but i am also thinking i wonder how some of these irish reds would go with  a bit of nitro
in them

Cheers mate yeah totally agree I would like to get a nitro setup at some stage, I really used to love  caffreys. But happy with Co2 so far. Just had another sip would be good nitro I reckon it’s so smooth.

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

Cheers mate yeah totally agree I would like to get a nitro setup at some stage, I really used to love  caffreys. But happy with Co2 so far.

yeah i would like nitro  but it wouldnt get much use   it would get used alot for Stouts   but for 1 off type brews i think i just cant justify the added cost

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hi Al,

I have poured the entire bottle into a glass jug several times & also into big glasses, you can see a couple of jugs centre shelf left & right. TBH I have never really had any yeast sediment & /or found any in bottle or glass, if it is there I probably don't notice it, however I see your point & when it is happy hour I will use a jug & see if I can tell any difference.

I have a habit of before opening a bottle, I usually turn it over, not shake, just once to check the carbonation signs on the base of the bottle & open & pour.

There is merit in your method & I totally understand the reasons but I guess the hop presence takes me away from worrying about yeast taste.

I admit my beer photos are nowhere as clear as some but I don't CC & cloudy beer doesn't  bother me generally.

Cheers

Phil

20210614_090146 (2).jpg

Hey AL,

Further to the discussion I have deemed it Happy Hour & poured a PET of Coopers Draught into a jug carefully ( it is very heady as you can see ) & I was very careful but I can tell you there is no sign of any sediment, in fact it tastes pretty good, possibly overdone the Goldings a bit but very drinkable nevertheless. I would do this again without hesitation.

Cheers

Phil

20210614_144258 (2).jpg

20210614_144349 (2).jpg

• Like 5

Cascarillo Amber Ale

Orange aroma (aka Terry's Chocolate orange).  Some caramel with a slightly burnt flavour.

Flavour to match the aroma.

Good level of bitterness, does not linger.  Not much sweetness, which is good.  Carbonation is a bit lacking, which is surprising given how much sugar I primed the keg with. 

A nice, honest and simple beer. I give it a 6/10

IMG_2471.thumb.JPG.fa40013e24822a41e4fa22d0254fa8b9.JPG

• Like 7