Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Dry Irish Stout

I have been posting about it for a little while now, so it is time for some pictures.

This beer is served through a stout tap, but just on CO2, not Nitrogen.  First photo is after initial pour.  Second photo is after topping up pour.

Roasted aroma with some coffee notes.  Roasty flavour.  Put simply: Think Guinness and you'll be pretty close.

IMG_2473.JPG.2647906b3e3d2d64677121c6f162aca8.JPG     IMG_2474.JPG.170cedbf21650b004923816094eebd8c.JPG

• Like 13

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Dry Irish Stout

I have been posting about it for a little while now, so it is time for some pictures.

This beer is served through a stout tap, but just on CO2, not Nitrogen.  First photo is after initial pour.  Second photo is after topping up pour.

Roasted aroma with some coffee notes.  Roasty flavour.  Put simply: Think Guinness and you'll be pretty close.

IMG_2473.JPG.2647906b3e3d2d64677121c6f162aca8.JPG     IMG_2474.JPG.170cedbf21650b004923816094eebd8c.JPG

What’s the Stout fitting like is it worth it?

On 6/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, MUZZY said:

Cool labels, Barra.
Your beers look great and will only get better as you develop your brewing skills further.

+ 1 from me.  I am too darn lazy to make labels for all my bottles, just a sticker or sticky dot on the lid as they come off easy ready for the next batch.  How do your labels fair @Barramullafella say in ice water or the fridge?  Do you only label the odd one for pics, giveaways and promos? A trillion years ago I used to label all my bottles but then had to clean the buggers off in time for the next recipe.

Yours look good and maybe I should design a few for my better beers.  Thanks for the motivation.

Cheers - AL

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Maybe the foam crept up and made/released more stout liquid below it.  Be a good drop if it did that.  Sorta like Guinness does.

haven't had a guiness for donkeys years can't remember what taste like but have a good coopers Irish stout that almost 3 months in bottle and keeps getting better still got just over dozen longnecks left.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

+ 1 from me.  I am too darn lazy to make labels for all my bottles, just a sticker or sticky dot on the lid as they come off easy ready for the next batch.  How do your labels fair @Barramullafella say in ice water or the fridge?  Do you only label the odd one for pics, giveaways and promos? A trillion years ago I used to label all my bottles but then had to clean the buggers off in time for the next recipe.

Yours look good and maybe I should design a few for my better beers.  Thanks for the motivation.

Cheers - AL

Howdy Ibooz2. Thanks for the compliments. I only label a few. I use a glue stick on back of label which comes off in water, so only advise cooling the bottle in fridge. Cheers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RDT2 said:

What’s the Stout fitting like is it worth it?

For under $10, it is worth it.  I could see a difference and there was a creamier sensation in the mouthfeel.

Kegland has a Nitro kit for just under $80 (some parts not currently available though).  The kit includes a small disposable Nitro gas bottle worth $40.  They claim is serves about 40L of product.  $40 extra for two kegs of stout is a bit expensive.  Although, it is still loads cheaper than buying 40L worth of stout at a pub.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Maybe the foam crept up and made/released more stout liquid below it.  Be a good drop if it did that.  Sorta like Guinness does.

By the time the first pour was finished the glass was about 1/3 liquid and 2/3 foam, much like a Guinness looks like from a can. 

The 1st photo is about 30 seconds after the pour.  So some of the initial foam has settled out to liquid pretty quickly.  The foam did not settle out much more.  So the liquid level at the start of the second pour was much the same as the first photo.  And by second pour, I mean top-up pour, not a second glass.

The second pour was a few minutes after the first pour.  I was happy to drink it at that point.

This sounds similar to how people have described a proper stout pour.  1st pour, fill glass with beer and foam.  Leave sit for a few minutes, then top up.  Possibly repeat.  If the barman gave you the first glass, you would tell him to leave it and top it up in a few minutes.  I imagine that continuing to fill the glass and letting the foam overflow is not the right way to do it.

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great looking Stout Shamus, if someone put that in front of me & said guess what it is, I would have said Guinness. Beauty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Yep that beer sure looks nice Phil. Happy hour? how about inviting all your mates around for a taste. ha..ha.. 

When I have a commercial Coopers Pale Ale and the like, yep the barman or I roll the bottle along the bar before opening to get that proper Coopers Pale Ale taste.  But my bottled brews all have sediment in them.  Some have a tight packed sediment that is hard to dislodge with a normal pour but others the sediment can be seen to move down the bottles as you pour into a jug.  I stop when its near the neck and tip the rest of the bottle, maybe 10 mm or so.   I never upend or roll mine as it would cloud the beer with bottle trub.

It could be that most of my bottles are lagers brewed with W34/70 and they were left at ambient for a couple of months then lagered at 2 C for several months more until now.  Dunno most of my lagers have been in the bottle since July 2020.  A lot of them are the same recipe (K&K) at that time.

What recipe was that beer in the pic?  What yeast was it and what was the conditioning routine?  I.E. time in the bottle re temp etc.

And I don't think you cold crash your batches either so its all very interesting.

Well my Bar is always open, come in for a taste.

As you say some of the bottles have tightly packed sediment/yeast on the bottom but so far none of that ever goes into the glass,  I gently roll my Pales as you would with commercial ones but the slight cloudiness is no different to bought ones. PET bottles seem to trap the trub tightly in bottom sections of the bottle, probably what they are designed for !

With Coopers Longnecks there is always a ring around the bottom of the bottle but I don't dislodge it whilst pouring.

Only when I rinse the bottles directly after emptying do I notice the sediment which rinses clean with hot water, then cold. I find the bottles remain clean ready for the next brew apart from a quick sanitise.

The recipe in that pic was a Coopers Draught 23l 1.7kg, 600gm, Mangrove Jack's Pure LME, 750gm Brigalow Added Malt Brewing Sugar ( I just wanted to use this up ) Goldings infusion, Supplied Yeast.

It was bottled 29th May & all bottles were stored in boxes in the Brew room, the temp in there doesn't vary much from 18-20 degrees apart from a really cold day/night.

As I have been brewing at ambient for the last 25 brews or so (I have 4 FV's) I don't bother to CC, I have only ever done it once & froze the beer/Czech Pilsner.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

Here's a Guinness from one of my last trips to Oireland (SWMBO hails from "beyond the Wall", bit of a White Walker IMHO)

guinness.thumb.JPG.d1f7f177cd51590afee181ec0ca149d6.JPG

after you've had half a dozen or so you're about ready to try the local delicacy: Curry Cheese Chip:

curry_cheese_chip.thumb.JPG.f0b9c684b64a3285cfef3e823e51068c.JPG

best enjoyed alfreso 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Well after a discussion about Neipa’s on the recipe thread, thought I would compare the biggie juice clone I brewed (not my recipe it’s off Brewfather thanks Stewart Allan nice work) with the real thing. Mine is on the right which is kegged and poured about 5 minutes before the Biggie Juice which was canned. It was an aggressive pour from the real one also. Well mine was slightly more bitter (a bit sharper) but it is a nice tasty bitter and the Biggie Juice was a softer bitterness and maybe a little more juicy as a result. I think that’s how you would explain it anyhow. If I wanted to dial it in I would probably do as @Norris! said (good advice) and move the bittering hop of 60 minutes to 10 minutes and exchange the Columbus for more galaxy and Amarillo(first recipe). I actually like the 60 minute addition as I also like the west coast style but I think this is a good combination between the two (east and west or just a cloudy IPA) The real biggie is also slightly lighter in colour but overall I’m very happy with the beer and recommend someone else brew if they would like, cause as Bruce Mcavaney said “it’s delicious!” I didn’t do a full pour on mine as I have to work tomorrow and have already had an Irish Red prior. Another is cost difference the can of Biggie cost $6.50 or $20 for 4 and my brew probably cost 30ish for 19litres but i also spent half a day brewing it and mothering it through fermentation and kegging  etc but I love the process as a hobby and feel proud when people drink and enjoy it as I am sure we all do cheers 🍻 

97206376-769A-4F11-BCD9-0208EE4BA4DA.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Stickers out of your new keg? takes while work it out I still do it on occasion

yep. i think this particular batch is doomed to be nothing but foam. the other tap is pouring a really nice amber ale though, if both kegs were ruined i'd be highly annoyed.

i didn't clean the keg posts on old foamy there and i think that might be partially the issue. also, this was the keg where i ran out of gas and took me close to a week to get a new supply so i'm not surprised i totally stuffed something up majorly along the way.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stickers said:

yep. i think this particular batch is doomed to be nothing but foam. the other tap is pouring a really nice amber ale though, if both kegs were ruined i'd be highly annoyed.

i didn't clean the keg posts on old foamy there and i think that might be partially the issue. also, this was the keg where i ran out of gas and took me close to a week to get a new supply so i'm not surprised i totally stuffed something up majorly along the way.

if it keeps doing it de gass by pressure relief valve then shake keg a bit and let sit 15 min then release again then go back normal serve pressure 12 to 14 psi and try again after settles down sometime that helps mate.

gas off while do it obviously then back on after done it and settled 

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Got a hazy boy pouring and an American pale ale all fizzed up also. All the usual bits and bobs you expect from these beers. 

Lush @MitchBastard Mitchie... just Lush!  Luvyerwork.. 

And not a Saison in sight Wooohoooo 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Drinking what has to be the last drops of this Berserker Juice NEIPA. The aroma is about 50% of what is was just a week ago but still tasty.

This brew came in 4th place but honestly I wouldn't change too much, except the yeast. It is nice.

20210617_155959.jpg

• Like 8