Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

10 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

That is outstanding haziness.  How far into the keg are you?  Do you give it a bit of a shake before pouring?

Not recently no shaking Shamus...  but certainly sucked plenty "mud" across into the keg haha ; )

And purposely did not cold crash....

Amount left - sadly not enough - probs less than half now : ( 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

If somebody did want a Great Northern Super Crisp Lager, then I think this recipe misses the mark.

Thankfully

9 hours ago, ozdevil said:

to me it misses something   as i taste  water at the end of a sip

It is a disgraceful exemplar of the worst of high powered advertising driven megaswill marketing 

As my Brewmaster Cobber @Aussiekraut AK said to one of his young male Gt Nthswill drinker work colleagues - it's easy to brew - just get yourself a Britta Water Filter

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Love the glass Shamus, where can I get one?

Hey BMF, It is a wheat beer glass.  I reckon that I got it as part of a pack of Weihenstephaner beers one Christmas.  Probably from Uncle Dan.  I do like that it takes a whole longneck, with a bit of head space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Norris!  Balanced IPA

I am trying one of @Norris! Balanced IPA's he kindly sent me along with a Berserker Juice.

Wow Norris this is amazing !! On opening I got the immediate scent of hops, not overdone but refreshing, it certainly is well balanced with a strong malt backbone that finishes crisp and dry.

The flavours linger with a slight bitterness & the creamy head is satisfying. I can taste the careful use of hops with an almost ginger/coriander aftertaste.

Overall I am impressed I I would have no hesitation in rating it 8.5 out of 10.  Well done & thank you.

I would have rated it higher but there was only one bottle. 😫

Cheers 

Phil

20210626_143831 (2).jpg

20210626_143912 (2).jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Euro lager with small addition carapils 150 gram 2 days in keg still under carbed can already tell made a difference after decided didn't like wheat malt in lagers it's good substitute for head formation/retention.

20210626_161158.jpg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@Norris!  Balanced IPA

I am trying one of @Norris! Balanced IPA's he kindly sent me along with a Berserker Juice.

Wow Norris this is amazing !! On opening I got the immediate scent of hops, not overdone but refreshing, it certainly is well balanced with a strong malt backbone that finishes crisp and dry.

The flavours linger with a slight bitterness & the creamy head is satisfying. I can taste the careful use of hops with an almost ginger/coriander aftertaste.

Overall I am impressed I I would have no hesitation in rating it 8.5 out of 10.  Well done & thank you.

I would have rated it higher but there was only one bottle. 😫

Cheers 

Phil

20210626_143831 (2).jpg

20210626_143912 (2).jpg

Thank you Classic. I know you are saving the other one, so no worries.

You were way more generous with this beer than I was. I thought it was a poor version of what I had in mind but thought it was at least balanced across the malts and hops but I wanted it to be slightly hoppier to balance the bitterness a little more.

I rate this beer at a 6/10 but totally appreciate your kind words. If you think this one was good I am excited for you and your Mate's feedback on the Berserker Juice. I rate that one pretty highly. I will be trying out cryohops in it or an hazy next and if I like the outcome it will be added as part of the recipe. I was hoping this beer was good enough to drink and not embarrass myself....maybe I did and you are being too kind 🤷‍♂️, either way I will take it! Imagine my head growing larger and larger from this ego boost.

Next time we do a trade I will have more than 1 of each in there but I want to try your beers (still appreciated the coozies) also. I like to try others beers, we all have different preferences and styles and I learn from others and what they use and take tidbits of what I like to add to my process.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Euro lager with small addition carapils 150 gram 2 days in keg still under carbed can already tell made a difference after decided didn't like wheat malt in lagers it's good substitute for head formation/retention.

I have been saying this for ages and now you know. 

If you are not putting at least 150 - 200 g carapils (simply cold steeped overnight) into your K&K brews then you are killing your beers potential and missing out.  When using wheat liquid malt extracts you do not have to do the carapils thing.  Give it a go and its better than just using liquid malt extract too.

• Like 2

Hazy IPA... 

PXL_20210626_094600608.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.adafe5053631182881cc8c88c49176a9.jpg

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
3.50 kg          Coopers Pale Malt (4.2 EBC)                      Grain         1          70.0 %        2.28 L        
0.75 kg          Munich I (Weyermann) (14.0 EBC)                  Grain         2          15.0 %        0.49 L        
0.75 kg          Rye Malt (Weyermann) (5.9 EBC)                   Grain         3          15.0 %        0.49 L        
25.00 g          Pride of Ringwood [9.10 %] - Boil 60.0 min       Hop           4          24.7 IBUs     -             
60.00 g          Cascade [6.40 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           5          12.4 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          BRU-1 [14.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min      Hop           6          23.0 IBUs     -             
50.00 g          Galaxy [15.70 %] - Steep/Whirlpool  20.0 min     Hop           7          11.8 IBUs     -             
1.0 pkg          Hophead Ale Yeast (Mangrove Jack's #M66)         Yeast         8          -             -             

Really hoppy, wow, just wow.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, iBooz2 said:

I have been saying this for ages and now you know. 

If you are not putting at least 150 - 200 g carapils (simply cold steeped overnight) into your K&K brews then you are killing your beers potential and missing out.  When using wheat liquid malt extracts you do not have to do the carapils thing.  Give it a go and its better than just using liquid malt extract too.

really happy with it be going with this for now on save wheat for pale ale with heaps hops

15 hours ago, Graubart said:

Thankfully

It is a disgraceful exemplar of the worst of high powered advertising driven megaswill marketing 

Funny you should say that went to a wake with my dad the other day and I asked which beer he wanted? He said anything but great northern it’s no good🤣 This is a man that brews in a 50+degree shed in summer using coopers lager with black and gold sugar🤣🤣🤣

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

American IPA from the Mangrove Jacks Craft Range, Fermzilla to keg in 9 days and wow, bloody nice beer 🍻 

Hop bill was Simcoe 25g, Citra 15g, Ekuanot 10g, don’t know anything about Ekuanot but the beer gives off a nice woody flavour, good for cold nights in winter in front of Kayo 🤣🤣

M44 US West Coast Yeast, fermented@19 degrees 

Yum yum, cheers brewers 

C6F7C1D5-BC6A-499C-9479-E6B55363E167.jpeg

• Like 9

REVIEW FOR NORRIS - BERSERKER JUICE 6.6% ABV

OK, Norris, again Thanks for sending this, I am a little out of my depth as this beer is so different to what I am normally drinking,  having said that it was an interesting experience.

My mate Keke ( real name Peter ) came around a we had a Beerathon - is that a word ?

On opening I wasn't sure if I should have rolled the bottle as achieving a head from the initial pour was challenging , but the second pour was good, we immediately were aware of the presence of alcohol combined with a huge hop hit, it was not only refreshing but a buzz at the same time. It was cloudy, strong & easy to drink but I am at a loss as how to rate it.

With the risk of offending you & obviously showing my ignorance with this type of beer I would say 7 out of 10.

But no means that doesn't mean it wasn't a pleasure to drink.

I look forward to trading other beers with you in the future.

Cheers

Phil

20210628_164655.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

REVIEW FOR NORRIS - BERSERKER JUICE 6.6% ABV

OK, Norris, again Thanks for sending this, I am a little out of my depth as this beer is so different to what I am normally drinking,  having said that it was an interesting experience.

My mate Keke ( real name Peter ) came around a we had a Beerathon - is that a word ?

On opening I wasn't sure if I should have rolled the bottle as achieving a head from the initial pour was challenging , but the second pour was good, we immediately were aware of the presence of alcohol combined with a huge hop hit, it was not only refreshing but a buzz at the same time. It was cloudy, strong & easy to drink but I am at a loss as how to rate it.

With the risk of offending you & obviously showing my ignorance with this type of beer I would say 7 out of 10.

But no means that doesn't mean it wasn't a pleasure to drink.

I look forward to trading other beers with you in the future.

Cheers

Phil

20210628_164655.jpg

Hahaha no worries Phil, hoppy beers are not for everyone. I prefer this beer between 5-5.5% so the 6.6% was a little high and the alcohol comes through but I liked it 🤷‍♂️.

I am not offended, we all have different tastes, not offended one bit. 

Cheers

Norris not the jerk face Classic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3