Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

whatever that is it has quite a bit of life in it, all the way to the bottom

Haha Cheers @CLASSIC Big Fella! 

Mate it is a sneaky Ale on Nitro... 

And blllllaaardy Nitro Keggin' seems to be a huge PITA and takes ages to gas up properly and tonight is the first night when things are getting a bit closer... 

Should be rolling in at around 6.1% ABV and as smooth as a...

Hopefully will get the gas-up right and then get a nice fencepost photo... this was sorta an 'early release' mate ; )

But really - it is just like what you are brewing - a full bodied Ale with plenty of body - and just here it is in keg with Nitro that helps produce the creamy texture if you have a reasonable body.

Thing is - that Brewers like you @CLASSIC Phil who are brewing with reasonable body are already getting close to that with lovely small bubbles and a creamy top anyway in the bottle - and that is what I did for years as well.  I just always wanted to see if I could approximate Beamish or one of those creamy brews drunk in years gone by. 

Have you ever come across Boddington's Bitter?  Bit like that but with a bit more body and a bit more ABV grunt ; )

image.thumb.png.a9b874041a1abf3ae6b54a6177cc064c.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

she could drink as much as I could, she also loved that brand.

Luvyerwork @CLASSIC Phil!!!

It's convergent evolution... you just need a nice full bodied beer... and then you can chase the creamy texture and small bubbles... the Nitro Guinness/BeerGas helps but you can't make a nice beer with those tiny bubbles and creamy tex unless you have some body in the brew.... but I have been wrong before ; )

But having a fair minded Fair Damsel who appreciates a lovely textured brew is a beautiful thing also!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Haha Cheers @CLASSIC Big Fella! 

Mate it is a sneaky Ale on Nitro... 

And blllllaaardy Nitro Keggin' seems to be a huge PITA and takes ages to gas up properly and tonight is the first night when things are getting a bit closer... 

But I am sure it’s worth it when it’s gassed up. I am jealous every time I see you post with nitro. I love stout/porters and my Irish red which would be even more betterer with nitro. Used to love caffreys as well.

• Like 1

Cheers @RDT2 RD thanks mate... you make plenty ripper beers RD mate so I believe you are not missing out haha!

But yeah I guess if you like these 'fluffy ducks' with their soopa-creamy texture then yeah I guess it is worth it...

I did have a chat with a mate about it all tho and I reckon if I had to choose to only have one gas - I would stick with CO2 as I think it delivers a greater range of beers very well...  Besides haha being shed loads easier and cost-effective to get hold of... and obviously with natural carbing you can make yer own haha!

Anyway... besides being more exy, running two systems, availability challenging and taking longer to gas up... yes mate yer can get some nice results.

And it certainly quells any urges to want to run off to buy nitro stuff or go to a provider somewhere with nitro... and compared to buying commercial stuff is tastier and cheaper ; )

Hopefully will have a dark one out soon... if all goes well in the FV 👍

• Like 1

Galaxy Smash Pils... with a bit of indispensable wheat thrown in... otherwise Weyermann Pils and Gal Hops on rainwater... and of course @MitchBastard it would be Dubbya... this cup below is very very first pour so a bit of mud in there still....  only kegged it last evening and then cranked the gas up high - think @Green Blob Blobski you were saying 60 overnight works... this needs a little bit more carbox but at least has got some for a tester pint or three this arvee ; )

Nix cold crash as I ran out of time so the mud will settle hopefully in the Keg and in the meantime we shall call it "Kellar Bier" which seems to have a licence to be cloudy haha!  But hopefully by the last Pint it will be clear ; )  Tastes pretty good just as is tho too haha! 🥳

Think this should develop into a reasonable beer.  Cheers all ye mad Brewskis.  Brew Up and Brew On.   And have a ripper Weekend!

image.thumb.png.90a4700107f7ec4f61580d7cf6a3ab7e.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Phil, what are you talking about, sun going down.  With Graubart's routine drinking schedule that was a pic of the sun coming up! 😂

You know what I have to agree with you, one wouldn't know as he pumps out so many kegs of the lovely stuff & posts great photos so maybe he has a huge log fire going & stays up all night pinging rabbits. Hi Graubster, all good bloke, keep up the good work.

Cheers.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Have jumped across to the HW as the Gal SMASH needs more carbox and a litte think in the Keg for a while methinks albeit being a promising start to proceedings ; )

Very refreshing 🤔

Lovely looking beer Chefbrauer I think a few of us should shoot across the border & relieve you of the pressure of drinking all of that lovely stuff.

Just trying to help. 😄

• Haha 1

@Graubart Boddington pub ale is a nice creamy under carbed for my liking but true to style English ale.  I got it from uncle Dan's when 6 months past date dirt cheap 3 or 4 of the 4 packs I think couldn't get a carton. have to say it was ok I poured in a glass even though had the widget in bottom which is meant to help drinking from can? seperated into 3 different layers from what I remember then 2 after sat a while beer and head I drank it at 8 to 10 degrees.

• Like 1

Drinking my biggie juice clone poured two glasses at once and this one was sitting in the fridge for 30 minutes while I drank the other one. Held a nice head the whole time very happy 😊 It’s been kegged for a month and a half has lost some aroma but still has a nice aroma and fruity/citrusy bitterness.

1BE5BB28-4107-4C9B-813B-9A6E46A4643C.jpeg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This is my supposed Great Northern Super Crisp Lager.

Not much of a clone, but a nice beer.

• Malty aroma
  • Not much head development and zero head retention.  Good carbonation though.
  • Lager-y flavour.  It has a smoothness.
  • No alcohol flavour for its 6.3% ABV, but it certainly has alcohol warming.

IMG_2487.JPG.027d91029e9030440840d986419abd8c.JPG

good on you for having ago  @ great northern crisp larger

whilei do find it likeable and can understand its popularity

i find it very lacking something in the real brewede  great northern.

to me it misses something   as i taste  water at the end of a sip

that maybe just me

i get the crisp  light flavour of the great northen, heck i had 3 schooners today.  

ijust feel it needs to be more full bodied then it is

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

good on you for having ago  @ great northern crisp larger

whilei do find it likeable and can understand its popularity

i find it very lacking something in the real brewede  great northern.

to me it misses something   as i taste  water at the end of a sip

that maybe just me

i get the crisp  light flavour of the great northen, heck i had 3 schooners today.  

ijust feel it needs to be more full bodied then it is

Disclaimer: This was a brew at the request of my brother.  I bought a kit from a LHBS.

It is WAY not the same as Great Northern Super Crisp Lager.  This is actually a low ABV beer - 3.5%.  We tasted the commercial version against my homebrew version.  No real comparison.

The original Great Northern is around 4.7%.  My version was still much more ABV.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Disclaimer: This was a brew at the request of my brother.  I bought a kit from a LHBS.

It is WAY not the same as Great Northern Super Crisp Lager.  This is actually a low ABV beer - 3.5%.  We tasted the commercial version against my homebrew version.  No real comparison.

The original Great Northern is around 4.7%.  My version was still much more ABV.

there is2 versions to commercial i think  heavy and a light er one both are below 5%  i know that.

dont get me wrong  each to their own..  i just dont go much on this beer

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I think the original is still only 4.2% and much more sweet tasting than mid. I'm going to try something similar with carapils and pilsner malt with enzyme and hope get bit of head.

I reckon that some Carapils would have gone well in this brew.  It could have only helped head formation/retention.

6 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

dont get me wrong  each to their own..  i just dont go much on this beer

I would agree.  We drank a commercial version alongside when we first tapped the keg of this beer.  Although my brother asked for the GN clone.  He was much more in love with the version I brewed for him.  No criticism to the supplier either, because their recipe actually produced a good beer.  If somebody did want a Great Northern Super Crisp Lager, then I think this recipe misses the mark.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon that some Carapils would have gone well in this brew.  It could have only helped head formation/retention.

I.was just thinking it might counter what the enzyme takes away have yet too see any effect only used 150 in last recepie thats un tested