Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

On 6/19/2021 at 11:27 PM, CLASSIC said:

Wok stir fried yabby tails in chilli, ginger, lemongrass, shallots, garlic white wine - you get the drift. If you haven't eaten them all by then you could also serve some rice !! 🦀

Nah.  Have to / must get my fill of freshly boiled yabbies first (just boiled long enough to kill the liver fluke). They would be cooked then lined up along a red gum log (somewhere say around Ned's Corner Station on the Murray) just to cool off somewhat while some beers are tasted.  Followed that up with a main course of some camp oven roasted wild goat or maybe some wild duck.  All with a good bottle of red, sitting around a campfire with good mates and under a starry moonless night.  Arh I can dream...

Then next night, go for the exotic yabbie stuff.   Yabbie and Yellow Belly Spring Rolls.  (Sorry you call the YB Callop in SA but you know what I mean).

My big SS wok is my best friend in my kitchen so look out stir fired yabs they day after that.

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Latest English Bitter - 30% Gladfield Aurora malt in place of the usual crystal malts etc.   It's OK but I think I prefer my versions with crystal & biscuit malts to be honest.  50g each of Harlequin and Goldings hops went into this one.  It's the second brew I've done at my new address and like the first brew it too is exhibiting quite poor head performance... curious.  🤨

Were the bottle seals all good BS?.  Was the secondary carbonation routine the same and has that changed from previous beers that have been good?

11 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Nah.  Have to / must get my fill of freshly boiled yabbies first (just boiled long enough to kill the liver fluke). They would be cooked then lined up along a red gum log (somewhere say around Ned's Corner Station on the Murray) just to cool off somewhat while some beers are tasted.  Followed that up with a main course of some camp oven roasted wild goat or maybe some wild duck.  All with a good bottle of red, sitting around a campfire with good mates and under a starry moonless night.  Arh I can dream...

Then next night, go for the exotic yabbie stuff.   Yabbie and Yellow Belly Spring Rolls.  (Sorry you call the YB Callop in SA but you know what I mean).

My big SS wok is my best friend in my kitchen so look out stir fired yabs they day after that.

Mate I can eat Yabbies anyway which way but loose but there is no way unless they they get stringent cleaning & remove all of the orange muck, they are fine to cook, pickle, whatever but I was born on the Murray River & we used to catch them as big as longnecks, even in the underground tank for those of you that lived on a rural property.

I am thinking about them now. 🦀 😋

I also like all like all of the other great stuff you mentioned.

Edited by CLASSIC

6 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Mate I can eat Yabbies anyway which way but loose but there is no unless they way they get stringent cleaning & remove all of the orange muck, they are fine to cook, pickle, whatever but I was born on the Murray River & we used to catch them as big as longnecks, even in the underground tank for those of you that lived on a rural property.

I am thinking about them now. 🦀 😋

I also like all like all of the other great stuff you mentioned.

Yabbie mustard is good, or so an uncle of mine used to say.  He ate everything but the shells.  Would have yabbie mustard all over his face, up and out to his ears.

I am not that fussy over a bit of mustard but a quick rinse and soak in vinegar then in the gob.  YUM

Saw a chef cooking them once on TV and he used the mustard as a base for the sauce.

Born on the Murray, yep me too.  Its in my DNA.  Or should I say, born on the Murray and Darling as I was born on both.  Technically more born on the Darling than the Murray but there is only 100 metres in it so I say both.

23 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Saw a chef cooking them once on TV and he used the mustard as a base for the sauce.

You know I understand that, they do the same with Crayfish/Crabs particularly on Masterchef 😬 but I am not a fan, too fussy I guess but that's the way it is, I have to clean them thoroughly.

It really is each to their own. I was an Army Cook & continued to cook for many years after & I have seen some disgusting things, i.e. Brains, Tripe, Tongue, Liver, Kidneys etc - not for me

absolutely no working parts, but then if I am too fussy, so be it, I like what I like but I suppose we all do.

The River is a great place for Friends/BBQ/ Beer/Camping & all the rest of it, I live near the sea now but that's OK too.

Cheers Boozer.

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

absolutely no working parts, but then if I am too fussy

Nope

Not too fussy at all

Especially if someone else is preparing a meal that we are paying for - then I would like to think they would consider the client preferences?

Edited by Graubart

18 hours ago, Graubart said:

absolutely no working parts, but then if I am too fussy

Hey Graubster, I was surprised I didn't get a response to this as a lot a people actually like offal ( working parts ) 

I know we have different tastes but I don't go near them, never have & never will. 🧠 Yuk, Yuk, Yuk.

• Like 1

Slowly working up to stout this time round, my ruby porter is very tasty, and has convinced me that a best extra stout is next on the hit list..... It's a bit stronger than I have been making lately, but I also haven't been drinking in big sessions lately either..... I like the original BES so definitely worthy of a go. 

16244317800927706394664636167375.jpg

• Like 8

First tasting of a Golden Ale bottled on 6th June. Amazingly mature, I was expecting it to be a bit estery still but not at all. Having said that I had my beer goggles on, will have to try another but as the first beer of the day. Beautifully balanced hops (amarillo), crisp, clean tasting. No after taste from the yeast (BRY-97).

I tweaked it by adding 450g dextrose (it was lying around coming up to the sell-by date), and an extra 10g amaillo in the boil

This recipe is deffo worth repeating. Well done Coopers !

golden_ale.thumb.jpg.a3f9c307e623dc697e2e779bda75f1dc.jpg

• Like 9

On 5/20/2021 at 10:04 PM, MUZZY said:

I wish I'd made this sooner. Absolutely lovely. My attempt at Coopers Best Extra Stout. Coopers OS Stout tin + dark malt extract (+ dextrose but not as much as the recipe so mine is around 4.5%ABV) and what I believe is the key to this being so nice - Coopers commercial ale yeast that I reactivated from a sixer of Pale stubbies. Only bottled 3 weeks ago but has no green-ness about it.

I'm off to the shop tomorrow to get what I need to make this again real soon. This batch is not going to last long. 

IMG20210520214613.jpg

Same beer a month later. Head colour appears lighter and taste has improved I think. I'm so pleased with this I'm even considering drinking stout through summer. 🍻

IMG20210623201343.jpg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Same beer a month later. Head colour appears lighter and taste has improved I think. I'm so pleased with this I'm even considering drinking stout through summer. 🍻

I've got an Irish Stout kit to brew. I can't get Cooper's BE here, only Muntons. I found  somewhere that the Coopers BE3 is 50% LDM, 30% Dextrose and 20% Maltodextrin so I'll make it up myself. 

I might drop the volume to around 20 litres though.

Are you happy with the head retention ?

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

I've got an Irish Stout kit to brew. I can't get Cooper's BE here, only Muntons. I found  somewhere that the Coopers BE3 is 50% LDM, 30% Dextrose and 20% Maltodextrin so I'll make it up myself. 

I might drop the volume to around 20 litres though.

Are you happy with the head retention ?

Hey Dave.
I didn't use BE3 with this particular beer but I have used BE3 with other beers. It usually has good results in regards to head retention. However I would recommend using malt over BE3 if you can get it. I used dark malt extract with this one. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I know we have different tastes 

Mate I am on your line of food thought seriously... yeah if we have nothing else I guess yer might hafta eat some of that stuff but if you don't then I am with you...

And I would much rather eat decent Vegetarian clobber than blood-n-bone ingredients ; )

The old Linsensuppe can be a beautiful thing done well... though I think me and me old Bavarian mate @Aussiekraut AK probably chop some nice smoky Snossy or smoked Schinken in there as well haha which is not quite V compliant! ; )

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hey Dave.
I didn't use BE3 with this particular beer but I have used BE3 with other beers. It usually has good results in regards to head retention. However I would recommend using malt over BE3 if you can get it. I used dark malt extract with this one. 

Cheers Muzz 👍

I've got some dark malt available, I might just give it a try.

I just put on the Saison recipe and 12 hours later it's bubbling away.  

Just bottled half a batch each of Ashes and Coopers XPA so should have enough to keep me going. You never know though 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Goldcoast Crow said:

Slowly working up to stout this time round, my ruby porter is very tasty, and has convinced me that a best extra stout is next on the hit list..... It's a bit stronger than I have been making lately, but I also haven't been drinking in big sessions lately either..... I like the original BES so definitely worthy of a go. 

Mate, the BES is definitely worthy of a go. I'm loving the one I drinking currently. I've gone frack to bont to you - my ruby porter is still a few weeks off being drunk. 

Late edit - I highly recommend harvesting Coopers commercial yeast for the BES if you're able to. I reckon it's the key to how well mine has turned out.

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Graubart said:

Water Quality change at all @BlackSands Sandman?  Sad to hear it... would be good to work out why 🤔

I'm pretty sure I'm on different water here - not sure that would account for poor head though?  Anyway...   3rd brew will be bottled soon so I'll see how that one goes.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

I'm pretty sure I'm on different water here - not sure that would account for poor head though?  Anyway...   3rd brew will be bottled soon so I'll see how that one goes.

Is the water 'harder' i.e. more total soluble salts?

Yeah @BlackSands Sandman I am not sure it would account for poor head either but it would be interesting to determine the underlying cause as you have made those beers in your last place - or similar - with the head being fine hey?

16 hours ago, MUZZY said:

IMG20210623201343.jpg

I can’t believe the difference in the colour of the head between those two beers. 
Never realised that could happen…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

I can’t believe the difference in the colour of the head between those two beers. 
Never realised that could happen…

I was surprised too, Tone. I guess it's physical evidence that the beers actually do change over time in the bottle. The photos were taken in the same room, albeit in different parts of the room, but the lighting is virtually the same.

• Like 1

I just opened a cheeky Draught, a litter darker than it should be as I added a pouch of Mangrove Jack's LME, all I had in stock at the time but it tastes great. Head stays intact & the glass is left with nice lacing. Next time I make a draught I will be sure to add the lighter malt extract. I find it hard to choose between my Draught, Bitter, Lagers but I think my favorite would be Pale Ale.

Cheers.

20210624_145550 (2).jpg

• Like 4