Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

19 hours ago, BlackSands said:

"Sneak Preview" tasting - Wai-iti Red Ale.  A partial-mash built on a BR NZ Company Bitter can (on sale!) paired with GF ale malt and Wai-iti hops.  It's still green but already shaping up to be a favourite for 2021.  😋

Wai-itiRed.jpg

I have to say BS, your beer pics are quite beautiful mate. Love the lighting. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

For those of those playing along and keeping an eye on my waffling regarding competition beers….. the judging was held over the weekend…..my German Pilsner took out 3rd spot in the pale lager category out of 39 entries. Pretty happy with that. 40/50 is a decent score but plenty of room for improvement. 
my hop driven beers got dragged over the coals….not exactly sure why just yet as feed back hasnt been sent out. 

cheers boys n gals.

Congratulations @MitchBastard  that's awesome, you are an inspiration to us all. Good luck with the others & future brews.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:
11 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

For those of those playing along and keeping an eye on my waffling regarding competition beers….. the judging was held over the weekend…..my German Pilsner took out 3rd spot in the pale lager category out of 39 entries. Pretty happy with that. 40/50 is a decent score but plenty of room for improvement. 
my hop driven beers got dragged over the coals….not exactly sure why just yet as feed back hasnt been sent out. 

cheers boys n gals.

Congratulations @MitchBastard  that's awesome, you are an inspiration to us all. Good luck with the others & future brews.

Second that - well done mate - Congrats!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great work @MitchBastard.  It will be interesting to read the judges comments about all the beers you entered.

After reading the comments, if they are good, will either help or piss you off. For me it was slightly both due to some contradicting advice. Less bitterness to more bitterness. The comments I held onto was "very drinkable" and "slight grassiness" which I will use cryohops for next time and see how it goes. Hopefully they provide some really good notes to help you out, even for the 3rd place Pilsner.

• Like 3

Having my Shitty Aussie lager on a lovely sunny day. It's a craft lager, so not filtered and hazy (yeah whatever hipster). I don't cold crash, ferment cool or any of that bizzoo so it's hazy, I don't use whirlfloc either.

PXL_20210702_034819874.thumb.jpg.2d464d817241b4e6ad2e703d25f00544.jpg

It's actually really good, clean and crisp. Nice bite from the 25 IBU hit of PoR @CLASSIC and a healthy 5.6%

• Like 11

On 7/1/2021 at 10:53 AM, John E Miller said:

I take care to clean my glasses since you pointed that out to me a while back mate. I never knew it was the fault of the glass before that 

I just use a glass holder - like a stubby holder but for schooners. (or some actual pints depending on shape 😄 )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bottled this Coopers Draught on 29th May '21 & thought I should try one, I am surprised it tastes as good as it does, it has a full malty flavour with a creamy head & the Goldings give it a nice bite, it is a little dark in colour  ( I don't CC ) but I did add 750gm LDME to the 600gm LME to the recipe, it is good to drink so no complaints.

Cheers

Phil

20210702_144413 (2).jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I bottled this Coopers Draught on 29th May '21 & thought I should try one, I am surprised it tastes as good as it does, it has a full malty flavour with a creamy head & the Goldings give it a nice bite

20210702_144413 (2).jpg

Looks good for one so young. 😄 

And loving the bar mat! 😄

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey GB I could send you some, what have you got to trade 🤣

I'm thinking I could trade those bottles for some merch - I'm still planning a trip down there. Just been hit with a few bills. e.g. car battery died & it turns out Elantras have a 'special' battery that costs $200. Dafuq???

14 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

I'm thinking I could trade those bottles for some merch - I'm still planning a trip down there. Just been hit with a few bills. e.g. car battery died & it turns out Elantras have a 'special' battery that costs $200. Dafuq???

Let me know when you are coming we will work it out.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, Norris! said:

After reading the comments, if they are good, will either help or piss you off. For me it was slightly both due to some contradicting advice. Less bitterness to more bitterness. The comments I held onto was "very drinkable" and "slight grassiness" which I will use cryohops for next time and see how it goes. Hopefully they provide some really good notes to help you out, even for the 3rd place Pilsner.

Thanks mate, yeah I’m hoping the feed back is decent. I know these things can be contradictory. Will keep ya posted. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I bottled this Coopers Draught on 29th May '21 & thought I should try one, I am surprised it tastes as good as it does, it has a full malty flavour with a creamy head & the Goldings give it a nice bite, it is a little dark in colour  ( I don't CC ) but I did add 750gm LDME to the 600gm LME to the recipe, it is good to drink so no complaints.

Cheers

Phil

20210702_144413 (2).jpg

Looks good, Phil. The colour is to be expected with that much malt added. What yeast did you use?