Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

it is a little dark in colour  ( I don't CC ) but I did add 750gm LDME to the 600gm LME to the recipe, it is good to drink so no complaints.

I have found the liquid light malt always turns out darker than the software predicts and more so if you use some or all of it in a boil when adding any steeped grains liquid or some extra hops.  It still looks good but.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 1

Just now, iBooz2 said:

I have found the liquid light malt always turns out darker than the software predicts and more so if you use some or all of it in a boil when adding any steeped grains liquid or some extra hops.

Yeah I understand as you know I just stick to extract/partials but even though is says light it always darker, I had a bitter straight after that & it was the same colour & of course, much more bitter.

5 minutes ago, Popo said:

Yeah, my thoughts too haha. Only to try and pick out the rye. I can't detect it. My palette is fairly rubbish though.

Fair enough Mate. Your recipes always seem on point, looking forward to your next interation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Norris! said:

Fair enough Mate. Your recipes always seem on point, looking forward to your next interation.

Cheers mate. Any recipes are rarely mine, though. I always rip them off from somewhere.

I've only got half a kilo of it left. I might try it in a blonde ale or something.

• Like 1

Six weeks in the bottle and tasting fine but needs a little bit of adjustment on the malt/sweetness so gonna try a little less malt and a bit more dextrose to get it to taste like a nice throw-down mild ale. If that works and I get the beer I am chasing then I shall lock that one in and start the stout or dark ale experiment. 

Woolale Plus 6a weeks.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Definitely much better head @Barramullafella have you tried adding hops to introduce a little bitterness ? 

I have the hops [POR] there for a brew but may try them at a later stage. Have yet to decide on the next test whether to use DME or Wheat extract. This brew I used 1kg of LME + 250gm Dex' and 250 gm Malto'. While a nice beer it is just a bit sweet/malty for me and so a reduction of such will give what I am chasing - I think.

3 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

I have the hops [POR] there for a brew but may try them at a later stage. Have yet to decide on the next test whether to use DME or Wheat extract. This brew I used 1kg of LME + 250gm Dex' and 250 gm Malto'. While a nice beer it is just a bit sweet/malty for me and so a reduction of such will give what I am chasing - I think.

The hops would definitely boost the flavour & take away from of the sweetness but I am sure you know that Maltodextrin & Dextrose would also contribute to the sweetness. 

That's the beauty of making your own, you can tweak the recipe to suit your taste.

Cheers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

I have used Dry Enzyme in the last three Lager Brews. Same recipe for each, it certainly gets rid of the sweet taste which can be a bit to sweet sometimes.

The last brew which I am drinking now is the best, is dry with a crisp finish. However I don't why it should be any different to the other two. Could be the temperature at which the yeast was pitched before putting it in the FF at 12C for 14days.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:

I have used Dry Enzyme in the last three Lager Brews. Same recipe for each, it certainly gets rid of the sweet taste which can be a bit to sweet sometimes.

The last brew which I am drinking now is the best, is dry with a crisp finish. However I don't why it should be any different to the other two. Could be the temperature at which the yeast was pitched before putting it in the FF at 12C for 14days.

PJ, what ratios you talking about for the DE? Like to have a taste of this. TIA.

3 minutes ago, Pickles Jones said:
23 minutes ago, Mickep said:

PJ, what ratios you talking about for the DE? Like to have a taste of this. TIA.

One sachet 3gms for 23 Litres.

Pitch with the yeast.

Shop around for the best price around $2.50 - $3

Cheers PJ, def give this a crack next Lager brew. Thanks mate.

• Like 1

Rice Munich IPA Thing.

70 IBU, 8%. Centennial for bittering, Mosaic, Simcoe and Galaxy late with Hophead yeast. Despite the rice being more than 30% of the fermentables this beer is not thin and crap like I thought it may be. It's gloriously fruity, nice mouthfeel, well bitter and aromatic.

800883490_PXL_20210705_054045221.PORTRAIT2.thumb.jpg.e7ffdcbff9176c89cb17d8d939ecb96c.jpg

• Like 8

House Pale ale. Dropped the caramunich for amber malt. Tastes pretty much the same (only used 150g) malt wise. Used up the last of the mosaic, centennial and eclipse in this brew, and I can really pick up the mosaic. Dankness for days with a nice burst of a boutique of fruits, hard to pin down right now, 14 days old, but it is nice. Bitterness is a little high but works well in this beer. Crisp but with good body, if that makes sense. 

I can pick up some floral aroma, guessing from centennial. The usually pungent eclipse is getting overshadowed by the mosaic, I can get some mandarin but I have to really search for it at this stage.

Went in the cube clear but 300g of hops later...20210705_180832.thumb.jpg.671cb0be238eb4a9669a25690c5fff8f.jpg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

300g cube and/or dry hop? Man am I a stingy bugger. I rarely use more than 100g including dry hops 😀 

All up. The cube was 80g but the dry hop was huge, way over my general rule to keep it at or below 8g/L. But I didn't want to keep 10g here and there.

Screenshot_20210705-203631_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20210705-203643_Firefox.jpg

• Like 3