Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

A bit of a taste fest here tonight.  Just trying out a few beers that had been recently kegged up.  First up was another taste of the MitchB Aussie Pub lager, its been in the keg for nearly 4 weeks but has not cleared as much as I would have liked.  Bloody nice to sip on all the same.

Second one off the rank was my Carlsberg Pilsner but its only been in the keg for less than a week and its only been carbed up with a fast carb of just 18 hours.  I forgot to hook this one up to serving pressure since its fast carb timed out so it missed out where I really think this one should be.  It is a very smooth drinking lager and goes down very well.  Will try this one again in about 1 week to see how it progresses.  I am very happy with this recipe and already have another AG batch in the fermenter for version 1_1.

Third beer sample was my Leigh's Lager, a VB clone for my sick mate.  Must say I am impressed with where this recipe has taken me on my quest to give him a beer that he will enjoy.  Bit of a bugger though as I like it so much I may not have too much left for when we have a keg day at his place, along with a few of his other friends.  I think they will all like this beer.  Going to punch a few of these out ready for the warmer weather and they should be all lagered up nicely by then.

MitchB Aussie Pub Lager 2 - resized.jpg MITCHB AUSSIE PUB LAGER

Carlsberg Pilsner Taste Test 1 - resized.jpg CARLSBERG PILSNER

Leigh's Lager AG version 1 - resized.jpg LEIGH'S LAGER a VB CLONE

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 11

And to finish off the taste fest this evening a Pacific Summer Ale AG version that has been aging in the keg for three and a half months.  This stuff is nectar to me and I always have a keg or two ready for when one keg blows.  I am so impressed with this ale and everyone who has sampled it always look for more.

Pacific Summer Ale Keg aged for 3 and half months - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Graubart said:

They say 'there's good light in Broome' and there's nice light here too... for the Mountain Stout:

image.thumb.png.3d80fae3ca4b59f0c71d75891cdfc589.png

Good to see the Ol Post-N-Rail saloon promotionals are back GB.  Looking bloody good as always.

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/8/2021 at 10:18 PM, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah I have the same sort of chiller and do it a similar way. I use it for my lagers but no chill my ales. It's just a PITA to hook up and use. Might make it a lock down project to do it more efficiently. Cheers for the reply mate.

Mines a pretty easy set up. I just got 1m of food grade hose from Bunnings and cut it half. I think it’s 12mm. Or what ever the coil size is, which is also the size of the pump recirc tube. Fits snuggly over each end of the chiller. One end goes back into the wort, the other from the recirc tube to the chiller. No clamps or anything 

8 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

Mines a pretty easy set up. I just got 1m of food grade hose from Bunnings and cut it half. I think it’s 12mm. Or what ever the coil size is, which is also the size of the pump recirc tube. Fits snuggly over each end of the chiller. One end goes back into the wort, the other from the recirc tube to the chiller. No clamps or anything 

Don't you clog up the recirc pump with all sorts of gunk?

I find the pump very easy to clog up. Quite often when cleaning, some bits of grain, which escape the malt tube, manage to get into the pump and block it. So I have to "back wash" by opening the tap, taking the recirc arm out and pushing water down the pipe, blowing it all back into the kettle. 

• Like 1

MR BEER NORTHWEST PALE ALE - Yum Yum

This was bottled on 27th June done in the Craft Kit to 9l - 500gm LDME/12gm Galaxy SG 1.038  FG 1.016 it tastes absolutely divine, I am thinking around 5% ABV but I bet there is someone out there who could tell me more accurately.  This is one beer that I will keep doing as it is really nice.

Cheers Brewers

Phil

NOTH WEST PALE ALE.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

This was bottled on 27th June done in the Craft Kit to 9l - 500gm LDME/12gm Galaxy SG 1.038  FG 1.016 it tastes absolutely divine, I am thinking around 5% ABV but I bet there is someone out there who could tell me more accurately.  This is one beer that I will keep doing as it is really nice.

Cheers Brewers

Phil

NOTH WEST PALE ALE.jpg

How does it compare to say a regular coopers pale ale ? I've been wondering about the Mr Beer tins. I suppose it's more concentrated ingredients? 

Lovely looking beer🍻

Edited by PintsAtMeLocal

15 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers Brewers

Phil

NOTH WEST PALE ALE.jpg

Going on the figures you've supplied @CLASSIC it comes in at 2.89% plus your .5 for bottling. So about 3.4%

Are you sure OG was 1.038 🤔

IMG_7952.thumb.jpg.1386b2ed836dcac45e119a1c848ffc2f.jpg

the never ending keg of scotch ale. i keep thinking its about due to blow but it keeps delivering.

easy to make but not one i'll do again, super sweet and high abv would have probably suited being bottled more than kegged so i could sit on a few bottles, right now i want the keg space

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Don't you clog up the recirc pump with all sorts of gunk?

I find the pump very easy to clog up. Quite often when cleaning, some bits of grain, which escape the malt tube, manage to get into the pump and block it. So I have to "back wash" by opening the tap, taking the recirc arm out and pushing water down the pipe, blowing it all back into the kettle. 

Nar no cloggages mate. I’ve got one of these bad boys. Couple bucks off kegland. Goes in the hole in the kettle. 

A8CC7DD5-86FA-4476-9742-D3945FB77F80.png

EB5947B2-D39C-47B2-A7F8-0515AD1F66EA.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pacific Ale quite a nice easy drinker the hops have faded a little but is balanced nicely with the malt. About a month and a half in the  keg

1E6585CE-3C7C-41E2-9EA7-1FED14CFB285.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Stickers said:

IMG_7952.thumb.jpg.1386b2ed836dcac45e119a1c848ffc2f.jpg

the never ending keg of scotch ale. i keep thinking its about due to blow but it keeps delivering.

easy to make but not one i'll do again, super sweet and high abv would have probably suited being bottled more than kegged so i could sit on a few bottles, right now i want the keg space

I had a scotch ale from a commercial brewery thought the same as you a bit sweet, glad I tried it first before making a batch don’t think I’ll bother after your description also looks good though!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Mt Hood Pilsner from the tap bloody beautiful interesting I bottled conditioned a couple of these as well which had a little bit of sulphur on the nose a couple of nights ago. No sign of that on tap. I think the MT Hood hops bring a little more flavour than Saaz too!

8F9B9F50-C5C7-43D6-B906-3F8CE0A86FE2.jpeg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Going on the figures you've supplied @CLASSIC it comes in at 2.89% plus your .5 for bottling. So about 3.4%

Are you sure OG was 1.038 🤔

Pretty sure that was it @Pale Man  Spider bloke, I usually keep accurate records but I may have st..... up in this case, however I have no complaints as it tastes bloody good. AG may have been 1.048. Cheers. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Pretty sure that was it @Pale Man  Spider bloke, I usually keep accurate records but I may have st..... up in this case, however I have no complaints as it tastes bloody good. AG may have been 1.048. Cheers. 

If you need a ABV calculator, heres one..........if you already didn't know it. Type in your OG     your FG and add .5% for bottle priming.

Alcohol By Volume ABV Calculator | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

How does it compare to say a regular coopers pale ale ? I've been wondering about the Mr Beer tins. I suppose it's more concentrated ingredients? 

You are right, they are 1.3kg tins that come pre-hopped, as a matter of fact on opening the first experience you get is the hop aroma & the obvious hop layering on top of the extract.

I added more as I am a hop freak. As you can see bottled in a 450ml Grolsch bottle with 4.1gm ( 1 teaspoon sugar ) it really is too much, but it does not disappoint. 

Coopers regular Pale Ale is not only one of the best selling beers it is also one of the best, a true & tried recipe for generations.

Cheers

Phil

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pale Man said:

If you need a ABV calculator, heres one..........if you already didn't know it. Type in your OG     your FG and add .5% for bottle priming.

Alcohol By Volume ABV Calculator | Brewer's Friend (brewersfriend.com)

Pale Spider you are a legend, I will check it out in the morning, thanks for your input, I am now going to bed, Over & Out.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

You are right, they are 1.3kg tins that come pre-hopped, as a matter of fact on opening the first experience you get is the hop aroma & the obvious hop layering on top of the extract.

I added more as I am a hop freak. As you can see bottled in a 450ml Grolsch bottle with 4.1gm ( 1 teaspoon sugar ) it really is too much, but it does not disappoint. 

Coopers regular Pale Ale is not only one of the best selling beers it is also one of the best, a true & tried recipe for generations.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers for that. I want to do a toucan next and I'm now thinking maybe a Mr Beer toucan will work a treat. To 20 L or so. 

@Green Blob Thanks GB for the RIS sent some time ago -- which did have a wee rest in the 2 degree fridge till Winter's Call ; )

Creamy and very easy drinking esp for the higher ABV end of town... and great head and head retention... the glass RHS was poured very slowly first, and as the beer level went down with minor agitation through drinking the head improved and stayed till the very end... glass on left poured with more vigour second... another great drop from Blobski Brewing : )

image.thumb.png.7477ad7a46a5dfda752c0aad9bf0d52c.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I highly recommend this Mr Beer Northwest Pale Ale, it is actually bloody beautiful, everything you want in a beer - well for me anyway, doesn't get better than this for Extract Brewing.

I keep my little Craft Kit working full time mainly for fridge fillers but there ain't any difference in this than the bigger FV brews.

That's what I love the most out of Home Brewing, you can make anything you like, anytime you want & in my case drink as much as you like without being lectured, my apologies for those of whom are wed but single works hand in hand with brewing your own. But I understand responsibility, commitment  etc.

So Cheers anyway.

Mr Beer Pale Ale.jpg

• Like 3