Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

13 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Cracked open a bottle of the brother saison to the one the other day. Was a split batch. Only difference is this is fermented with 3726. Great beer as well but not as good as the other one. 

I find 3726 a lot like belle, 3711 and MJ29. Its not quite the same but close. IMO 3711, belle and MJ29 are the same yeast. 

Greeny Mate you are seriously the YEAST KING!  

And Master of the Belgians!!

Luvyerwork.

I certainly learned my lesson with my Dampfbier vs IPA experiment...  with W3068 vs US05 pitched in different vessels with same base brew...  worlds apart.

But you are at the pointy end of Brew refinement mate - not the brute force thrashing around in the dark like I am.... but I am loving it and learning lots!

• Like 1

Nah still back in economy class mate. Its such a rewarding hobby i reckon i will still be learning when i cant lift a FV. 

I love golf too because even though you had a shit round you had one great shot and it keeps you coming back. Same as brewing. You make a great batch and then you think. I can beat that. And then your back!!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Nah still back in economy class mate. Its such a rewarding hobby i reckon i will still be learning when i cant lift a FV. 

I love golf too because even though you had a shit round you had one great shot and it keeps you coming back. Same as brewing. You make a great batch and then you think. I can beat that. And then your back!!!

Mate if my brewing was like my golf playing I woulda given up after my very first few KnKs years ago and gone tea-total!  ; )

• Haha 3

Bit of a sad day for the local big Wilderness area - Wollemi National Park and surrounds... been terrible dry and the recent fires are spreading... was 60,000hectares now 112,000 and not looking like stopping soon... Parks and RFS are doing what they can but given the size of the front... dunno what will stop it until it runs out of forest to burn : (

What I am drinking... mmm... today it is water.

image.png.e132437fcecdd73049fd308f0b99ac7a.png

image.thumb.png.044670e0ca7e09fc74686f7a54a48eff.png

• Sad 8

...I usually do a 85/15 pale and wheat and let the yeast shine but this one had some vienna and special b in it. The special b added a whole new dimension.

Totally agree. Special B is a very special & unique grain. Adds a dark berry-like note at differing levels of intensity based on weights used, unlike any other grain I've personally used.

At different weights in different beer styles it can create very unique flavours outside the norm.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Still no grogs... just on the waters...

That Wollemi Park Fire smoke heading our way an hour ago...

image.png.53c6c995dcdc06335e4d6001d967d45b.png

image.png.e6b310a06b7a5153685ffdffcdc17f6c.png

and now completely shrouded in it... but probably good that the wind eased and has gone round to the East.. might slow things down a bit.

• Sad 2

Smoke gone now as wind swung back round to S and SW... but no halt to the big one in Wollemi NP... these might an example of what they say big fires creating their own weather... pyro cumulus... which can generate dry lightning... probably not we need either...  Staying on the waters for a  bit longer.  Not many clouds elsewhere... just over where the action is.  Apologies about the crap res photo but only got iPhone for photos at moment.

A flammagenitus, also known as a pyrocumulus cloud or fire cloud, is a dense cumuliform cloud associated with fire or volcanic eruptions that may produce dry lightning.

image.png.c1ada272582a0fe85159db25dc5b8282.png

Burning across a big front:

image.png.28fead0d366f07ccfeb2f1a867fbd5c8.png

120,000 ha and increasing.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Just the right bitterness and some really complex hop aromas I find. Looks good, smells good and tastes good 🙂 Looking forward to visiting the place once they finally open here in Brissy. 

IMG_6022.jpg

Funny looking home brew 😜

I'll probably go check the place out when it opens too. Don't think I've actually tried one of their beers yet, maybe a few years ago when I frequented the craft beer bars more. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Funny looking home brew 😜

I'll probably go check the place out when it opens too. Don't think I've actually tried one of their beers yet, maybe a few years ago when I frequented the craft beer bars more. 

The official opening is on Thursday, so I will go there probably 3 or 4 weeks from now, when the rush has died down 🙂 

I had a few of their beers so far in different locations and quite like them. I'm not a big IPA drinker but this one is quite nice.

• Haha 1

Well all this talk of fires and reporting to various folk on the updates has been stressful and very thirsty work... wind back round to the East means the smoke is back... have had a couple days off the grogs and well I don't think where I am we are in mortal danger right now so have decided to have a few comforters... back on the first ever kegged AG IPA... seems to have cleared a little more... I jacked up the keg pressure up to 18PSI and I think it has a slight more sparkle to it without foaming so all good really.  Cheers and ein Prosit to those fighting the fires while we pray for some rain.

image.thumb.png.824e848ae67964b56a2a317c6f776e9e.png

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Just the right bitterness and some really complex hop aromas I find. Looks good, smells good and tastes good 🙂 Looking forward to visiting the place once they finally open here in Brissy. 

IMG_6022.jpg

Do us Brissy brewers meet up here one weekend for a few Jars ? Just a thought 🤔

The hazy pale ale has been carbonating since Friday afternoon and it is pretty good. Let the wife try some and she said it was juicy and wondered what juice I used in it, all hops baby.

I thought it might be too bitter from the fermenter samples but it is about right for my tastes, could even handle a little more. Very juicy, from the oats, and quite the fruit basket in terms of aroma and flavour. Now to let the bottles ferment out and I will send those off.

4kg 2 row pale ale malt

800g flaked oats

800g malted wheat

10g Columbus fwh 60 min

15g galaxy, mosaic and amarillo whirlpool for 20 min

15g of each cube hopped at 78c

150g dry hop with 50g of each

And the NE yeast from lallemand.

I will give my suggestions for improvementss after week 3 once everything has melded together but pretty happy with this. The head disappears pretty fast but has good lacing.

Cheers

Norris

20191117_193323.jpg

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Norris! said:

The hazy pale ale has been carbonating since Friday afternoon and it is pretty good. Let the wife try some and she said it was juicy and wondered what juice I used in it, all hops baby.

I thought it might be too bitter from the fermenter samples but it is about right for my tastes, could even handle a little more. Very juicy, from the oats, and quite the fruit basket in terms of aroma and flavour. Now to let the bottles ferment out and I will send those off.

4kg 2 row pale ale malt

800g flaked oats

800g malted wheat

10g Columbus fwh 60 min

15g galaxy, mosaic and amarillo whirlpool for 20 min

15g of each cube hopped at 78c

150g dry hop with 50g of each

And the NE yeast from lallemand.

I will give my suggestions for improvementss after week 3 once everything has melded together but pretty happy with this. The head disappears pretty fast but has good lacing.

Cheers

Norris

20191117_193323.jpg

Looks fantastic mate 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And check out this bizarre smoky sunset:

image.png.88ceea1a560fca1c02886f7eed5e5abb.png

The smoke is now affecting the light here in NZ.  I first noticed it a couple of mornings ago... an obvious yellow/golden hue to the light.  It reminded me of the sunny day light you get in really polluted cities - the last of which I witnessed in Guangzhou, China a few months ago.   It also results in some quite spectacular sunset here too.... although not today 'cos it seems we've suddenly been plunged back into Winter!  🥶

• Like 1

Early-ish tasting of my K&B Wakatu Golden Ale.   Nice enough beer but the chill-haze on this one is HUGELY disappointing!  It was CC'd and fined with gelatin as per usual but this haze is probably the worst I've ever seen in a brew.   With a few of these recent extract brews I've actually been using Muntons LME for the first time.  I believe the LHBS buys in bulk and packages it up in their own brand containers.  A bitter brewed with the stuff recently is also very hazy.   I wonder....?  🤔 

WakatuGoldr_Nov2019-1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Nice enough beer but the chill-haze on this one is HUGELY disappointing!  It was CC'd and fined with gelatin as per usual but this haze is probably the worst I've ever seen in a brew.   With a few of these recent extract brews I've actually been using Muntons LME for the first time.  I believe the LHBS buys in bulk and packages it up in their own brand containers.  A bitter brewed with the stuff recently is also very hazy.   I wonder....?  🤔 

Out of curiosity I cracked open a bottle of the 3rd brew that I'd use the Munton's LME in.  It's super young -  it's my "Back To Roots" NZPA.  And yup... it's got the haze thing happening too... not as bad though.  This one was a 60/40 partial (grain/Muntons LME).  I don't think I'll use the Muntons extract again.

As for the beer itself, it's already forming a nice creamy head.   I used largely forgotten 'legacy' NZ hops in equal doses (50g each) as a bit of an experiment.  Sticklebract, Dr Rudi and Green Bullet.  I can tell you there aint nothing wrong with these hops!  And the bonus is they're quite a bit cheaper than their more popular 'new world' cousins.   This is a delicious tasting beer and as good as any pale ale I've tasted.  As I'm sampling this one very young it will also be interesting to see how the inevitable hop-fade progresses this time.  I will be very sad to see this one fade away  🙄

(sorry, no pic).