Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

First of my Black IPA AG - Bit of a non-fizzer actually.

Great aroma.  Taste is nice too.  There was a slight pfft on opening the flip-top, but little enough to have me worried.  On look and taste there is no fizz.  Some PETs I bottled have good firmness.  Hopefully this is a one off.  They have only been in the bottle for 10 days, inside, at average temp marginally below 20°C.  Also this was my first isinglass and polyclar fined brew.  It might take bit longer to carbonate.  I could detect a slight sweetness.  Could it be some of the priming sugar that the yeast has not got to yet?

This is drinkable still; in a hoppy mild red wine kind of way.  I am getting a tiny bit of fizz if I hold it in my mouth for a bit before swallowing.  Could be a great beer if carbonated.  I do not have any more cold though.  Will try one in the next few days.

IMG_1434.thumb.JPG.cb4c2de701321312c60619435682d929.JPG

• Like 6

Coopers 2019 Vintage HB

This one on the other hand is an absolute beauty.  Better than the commercial version in my opinion.

I can notice the apricot and pine aromas that are mentioned in the recipe.  I cannot pick up the citrus fruits though. 

Taste is great too.  With roasted malt, nuts and toffee and a velvety finish.  This beer is very drinkable, but at 7.7% in the bottle, I need to be a bit careful.

IMG_1435.thumb.JPG.7c3375855efd318c43a5f3a654fbc5ff.JPG

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

First of my Black IPA AG...

...I could detect a slight sweetness.  Could it be some of the priming sugar that the yeast has not got to yet?

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

...The Black IPA I did recently, and have posted about tonight has about twice as much base malt as your recipes.  The Carafa III and the Dark Chocolate in my recipe are not really noticeable in the beer.

The sweetness is likely due to the combination & weights of Munich & Dark Crystal malt used in what is a big malted beer. The Carafa & Dark Chocolate malt weights probably need to be lifted percentage-wise if you plan to brew this Black IPA again at this ABV%. As a rough example, the Black IPA I made a number of years back was a 5.9% ABV beer & used 250gms of medium crystal (not as sweet as dark) & a combined weight of 550gms of roasted type grains vs 350 dark crystal & 400ish roasted in your 7.0%ABV+ version. It's all about balances & percentages at various ABV's.

The stuck sparge wouldn't have helped much either.

Your beer is still very green, so give it a bit more time before you give a final ruling.  If once it's reached a stable taste it still lacks in a few areas, just note them & make adjustments in those areas next time around. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Your beer is still very green, so give it a bit more time before you give a final ruling.  If once it's reached a stable taste it still lacks in a few areas, just note them & make adjustments in those areas next time around

I think this beer could take a bit more dark grains.  It looks fairly black in the glass, but it was more very dark brown looking in the fermenter.  I thought that could have been due to the stuck sparge, plus I think that the "stuck" started earlier and the recirculating mash did not properly recirculate.  Therefore the infusion of colour might not have been so effective. 

The uncarbonated beer tasted pretty good.  Although I only drank about a third of the glass, that is much more than I usually drink when the beer has no bubbles.

Knocking back a few Wakatu Gold's tonight.  Interesting thing - yesterday I was about to toss the remainder of the batch. I just didn't like it. I thought it had deteriorated, was tasting very 'extracty' and well... it was just no fun drinking it.   Today...  it's a perfectly decent example of the style and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it!  Perception. Perception. Perception. Changes by the day!  I tried to figure out what it was that made me think it was so horrible a day previous?  Maybe the walnuts I was eating?  Who knows...   but there's definitely a lesson there somewhere!    Anyway, for now...  the gold is freely flowing!   

🤪

WakatuGold_Nov2019-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The big IPA that provided a resoundingly good very first keg - also is drinking good out of the few Coopers Largies I did at the time...  Apologies for the Bishop's Collar @PaddyBrew2.

I pour me two glasses off in the one go so I drank the other glass and let this one settle back in the fridge at 2 deg C so was all good ; )

I am interested to hear what the Keggers think - but could I be getting better late-hop aromas out of the bottle than in the keg with very same brew?   Noting the keg was emptied within a week of cracking it...

and that it sat at 2 deg for two weeks at 12-14PSI being gassed up prior to cracking.

image.png.86c42eab4c32a33ff81696b12b6e0ff3.png

• Like 2

Carbonation is better today but probably overcarbed. Can't pour it on serving pressure without getting a glass of foam so just doing my usual bleed pressure and add just enough back to get it dribbling from the tap. Been able to pour a few glasses doing this while degassing it at the same time. 

While I've still got plenty from older batches left waiting to be consumed this NZPA was beckoning.   It's the one where I did an equal mix of less popular NZ hops -Dr Rudi, Sticklebract and Green Bullet.  Too hard to resist and because I know them hops is gonna fade all too soon so I've decided not to waste any time finishing off those other brews...

NZPA_Nov2019-1.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

My intended hazy IPA/NEIPA which has cleared up somewhat in the keg. Perfect thirst quencher after a hot day and a hangover from the office xmas party 

30C364A0-9311-41F6-942E-7BFC1B03128B.jpeg

Legendary effort for your first Keg Brew Paddy!  Even Dogger seems impressed !?!  😜

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Other than the beer it looks very effin dry. Beer looks nice too BB ☺

Cheers Greeny… yeah the country is doing it tough mate.  And sadly that Wollemi NP fire... think one of my last reports was 120,000ha... is now nearly 200,000.  

On 12/1/2019 at 6:12 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Back on the AG GSP - Galaxy SMASH Pils - cuppla months lagering at 2 deg C - and another cuppla weeks... is really very nice... apologies if wrong glass ; )

image.thumb.png.86e891c5c22b7060156462ca5cd60a97.png

I can’t believe you used the wrong glass............

• Haha 2