Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

19 hours ago, Cosmo2450 said:

Tried cold brew coffee on nitro at home. That’s something different alright. 

Cant wait to nitro a beer in the near future. 

DCB995D9-76BF-4306-997B-83CAFE7F0F1E.jpeg

So Cosmo this keg/vessel gassed with Nitro - cascade of tiny bubbles @PaddyBrew2 reminiscent of Guinness hey... so something I too would be interested in - just a simple change to Nitro instead of C02?  I reckon a black IPA might be nice on Nitro too?

Yer festive ginger mate in the background looks happy snoozing in the little cardboard house : )

Great photo!

Edited by Bearded Burbler

10 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

So Cosmo this keg/vessel gassed with Nitro - cascade of tiny bubbles @PaddyBrew2 reminiscent of Guinness hey... so something I too would be interested in - just a simple change to Nitro instead of C02?  I reckon a black IPA might be nice on Nitro too?

Yer festive ginger mate in the background looks happy snoozing in the little cardboard house : )

Great photo!

That’s pretty much it and a different tap. It’s still trial and error for me at the moment (especially with the coffee haha). I got a tzars tar ready to keg and it will be on nitro I’d say. I want to keg condition it so I’m not sure how that’ll work with nitrogen. 

Yes my ginger mate loves when I get deliveries. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Cosmo2450 said:

That’s pretty much it and a different tap. It’s still trial and error for me at the moment (especially with the coffee haha). I got a tzars tar ready to keg and it will be on nitro I’d say. I want to keg condition it so I’m not sure how that’ll work with nitrogen. 

Sounds good - so a different tap as well... guess just look for a  tap that does nitro - same lines - same disconnects - different level of pressure at all?

Everything the same except the tap and pressure which I have it set for 35psi. The tap I have is fairly shitty tho. I’d recommend a decent tap. And cause nitrogen doesn’t dissolve in liquid easily I’ll give the keg a good shake before serving.

https://ikegger.com/products/the-nitro-stout-coffee-carbonation-kit

Edited by Cosmo2450
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Nitro beer setups aren't 100% nitrogen, they're a blend of CO2 and nitrogen. I can't remember what the percentages are but it's easily found info. 

Your suggestion Kelsey made me have a quick look... this article seems interesting.  Certainly seems that if you are going to use nitro you want to be using it consistently in a specific brew and not think you can chop and change to normal C02 if this article is to be believed.  Seems to make some sense though.

One-Pager-The-Facts-About-25-75-Gas1.pdf

So this is the other half of the Black IPA - with Cascade and Citra.  It tastes as lush as it looks 😝

Be interesting to do something like this with Nitro...

Bad day for the Wollemi fire with serious Souwester but that has eased and hopefully the backburn off the Wolgan Valley floor will make a difference.

image.thumb.png.e82bf7865146ad9bec7c5b11ae5aee98.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Looks a cracker mate.  Black IPAs are very tasty. Still have about 15 bottles left of mine. Bit too hot today to get stuck into them though 

Must be some fair Ireland linkage to the Guinnless mate... a notion that black needs to be drunk when the grass is green and there is rain a fallin' and it's nice and cold.

I dunno…  maybe us dusty dirty old bush scrubbers are more thirsty?  I reckon the Black is pure gold even on a hot dusty day... as long as they are nice and cold... but all good ; )

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Nitro beer setups aren't 100% nitrogen, they're a blend of CO2 and nitrogen. I can't remember what the percentages are but it's easily found info. 

C'mon Kelsey, don't tell me you're not in love with that nitro pic??!!

Apart from proper nitro poured Guinness, I admit I haven't sampled many nitro poured beers as most of them are darker beers when they use this setup.

I had this crazy blended/infused Nitro Porter/Stout by the Fox Hat brewery @ the recent Adelaide Beer & BBQ festival & absolutely loved it. It had some nutso ingredients in it that made for a very complex smash on the palate, but what lifted it to another level was the nitrogen pour & mouthfeel that came with it.

That was one of the aspects that made it unforgettable to me (at least).

A part of me wonders whether this would be worth using on a lighter malted beer style/recipe etc.? 🤔 As an example, imagine your local dry enzyme beer on tap, but poured via a nitro setup.

No more flat lifeless shite looking & fast dissolving carbonation beer at the glass with that setup I would imagine. 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

A part of me wonders whether this would be worth using on a lighter malted beer style/recipe etc.?

Had Boddy's Bitter out of the nitro can @Beerlust ?

It is a pretty benign drop but has nice creamy mouthfeel with the nitro widget in the tin:

image.png.b2f48c65ed147a384a38f7fee08e3be0.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Kilkenny is pish water though 

Yes.  Correct.  Aaaah - but when you add a nitro disk - yer got creamy pisch water that sells.... : )

Yeah it was more about the creamy texture.... of Lusty's comment regards 

a lighter malted beer style/recipe etc.

But yes mate...  not a beer I chase.  And Boddy's Bitter also is not real flash either honestly but has got that creamy texture. 

Sorry to hear that BB.

My Keezer did a similar thing a few feeks back. Just wouldn't go below 8°C.

It, along with a heap of other crap was picked up by my local council as one of my free hard waste collections last Thursday.

Go check out my recent post in "It's Kegging Time". You're not alone with bad luck today mate.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2