Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

I finally got my Old School Pale Ale gassed up yesterday.

WLP059-MtHoodPaleAle.jpg

The WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast, Mt. Hood hops & fairly simple malt bill combo has come together terrifically well (IMHO).

Ridiculously smashable. Stoked.

Thanks to Ken Lenard & his dancing bears pale Ale recipe for the inspiration. In fact I think I'll get a refill & go have a dance with them. 😉

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Just now, Beerlust said:

The WLP059 Melbourne Ale yeast, Mt. Hood hops & fairly simple malt bill combo has come together terrifically well (IMHO).

Ridiculously smashable. Stoked.

Niiiiice brew Lusty.

And hopefully the Adelaide Hills fire can be controlled... sounds bad like here.

• Like 1

More beers from @Beerlust. Hells YES... great stuff for nothing special

(no picture) Good aroma, orange flavour, smell, slightly sweet, ruby grapefruit. N2 on the lid

O3 on the lid.

Great aroma.
Solid bitterness, no home brew tang.
No idea on the hops. Bitter after taste which lingers nicely.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191220193532585_COVER.thumb.jpg.83970b20a6a66e5aded9c230858a4f1c.jpg

Rosella on the lid. 

Nice, malty... Um slightly fruity?.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191220195348181_COVER.thumb.jpg.2c9d9f3d54a443cf76056bb28feac36a.jpg

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

And now the power is back on I don't feel so bad now opening up the fridge to get another tasty AG beer 😝

If it were my place I'd get a PVA Array on the North facing roof and then when the power went out you'd just go WGAS?

During the day I'd say so unless you have a battery that can supply power at night as well. We didn't go for a battery because they're not very cost effective yet. Haven't had a blackout yet but since everything pretty much runs off the roof during the day I can't imagine a blackout would stuff it up. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

More beers from @Beerlust. Hells YES... great stuff for nothing special

(no picture) Good aroma, orange flavour, smell, slightly sweet, ruby grapefruit. N2 on the lid

O3 on the lid.

Great aroma.
Solid bitterness, no home brew tang.
No idea on the hops. Bitter after taste which lingers nicely.

Rosella on the lid. 

Nice, malty... Um slightly fruity?.

O3 = bittered with Warrior, then a mix of Riwaka & Galaxy. Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.

N2 = Coopers DIY XPA recipe. Coopers Commercial Ale yeast.

Rosella = NFI, bottled this one a while back. But the cap & PET are from an original bottle that you sent down to me with your Rosella Saison (I think?) in it. I would love you to send me down another bottle of that recipe but with maybe a good dry hop of Riwaka, or Cascade, or Centennial in it. That beer I have not forgotten. Stunning colour, nice flavour, just lacked a bit on aroma. Girls would love it. I'd even be a girl for a day just to drink one again. 🤣

Edit: The rosella capped one might be my Amber Ale given the colour & how long it's been in the bottle. Maybe? 🤔

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Bugger. Oh well hopefully we don't get any blackouts then 🤣

It's so there is no electricity going into possibly damaged powerlines.

You can get a thing where it disconnects from the grid. A friend has that but I have not looked into it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

During the day I'd say so unless you have a battery that can supply power at night as well. We didn't go for a battery because they're not very cost effective yet. Haven't had a blackout yet but since everything pretty much runs off the roof during the day I can't imagine a blackout would stuff it up. 

Yeah wouldn't do it without a battery Kelsey... the local handyman -- that does work on the house for the Landlord -- is a great bloke and also lives 'out in the paddock'.

Michael's got a nice big German solar panel on back of his work ute that makes a Lid over his two work boxes on the tray and plenty of battery storage capability... in cases where power drops out on his house... he just plugs the ute into the house switchboard to keep all the fridges running... sound like my idea of a good time ; )

Will keep his house stuff going overnight just fine.

Edited by Bearded Burbler

18 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Woohoo the power is back - great effort from the Powerline folk given the shittttt we are in at the moment.  What a joy it is to hear my fridge compressors running again!!!

The Brew Fridge air temp with the kegs gassing up in it went from 2 up to 20 deg C but the kegs should be a lot colder still.

How is it going BB?  I have been away from the Forum for a little bit and have just caught up on your situation.  I worked part time in the Municipal Emergency Coordination Centre in Lilydale during the 2009 Black Saturday Kinglake fires, some of which burnt for a month and we thought that was tiring.  Always not knowing how long it would last and the only real solution being a heavy dumping of rain that never looked like coming.

Sounds like you are pretty prepared for it though.  Stay safe.

• Like 2

On 12/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, MUZZY said:

@Shamus O'Sean I guess the money I spend on a washing machine will impact on the amount of brewing products I can afford. 😉

Whoops! Trying to be funny backfired on me.  I wondered what you used the washing machine for in your brewing process.  I did not think about the financial implications on buying brew supplies due to having to purchase a new washing machine.  Hopefully your bad luck does not come in threes.

• Haha 1

Fair enough. I'm just not keen on paying $13500 for something that's not gonna last more than 8-10 years if it's lucky. It wouldn't even pay for itself in that time. 

Anyway, updated tap list here in the bar, both will be on by Tuesday, with the pilsner tomorrow if I ever get off my bum and keg it.. might do that on 55-60 psi to speed it up a bit since it won't get the full 20-22 hours before gas is turned off. 

PSX_20191221_143538.thumb.jpg.aab0706dc4157be68cdad21b7d1689c5.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

How is it going BB?  I have been away from the Forum for a little bit and have just caught up on your situation.  I worked part time in the Municipal Emergency Coordination Centre in Lilydale during the 2009 Black Saturday Kinglake fires, some of which burnt for a month and we thought that was tiring.  Always not knowing how long it would last and the only real solution being a heavy dumping of rain that never looked like coming.

Sounds like you are pretty prepared for it though.  Stay safe.

Yeah a nasty day today on a nasty way-too-early fire season begun in Sep and still 2-3 months of summer to go...  and the more recent stuff going on for more than a month now...

Am fortunate am largely in cow paddock surrounds with few trees... and mowed the immediate surroundings into the dirt over the past week.  Filled the bath and some water containers and got a spray-pack in case the power drops out.

Thanks for asking SOS - been a crrrrrap year other than for BREWING which has been GOLD... largely thanks to you Brewers on this site ; )

image.png.cc26aff011c1e66ae5d19000d3f37677.pngimage.thumb.png.56446fd509c9b4d8d336092ba35ef259.png

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Fair enough. I'm just not keen on paying $13500 for something that's not gonna last more than 8-10 years if it's lucky. It wouldn't even pay for itself in that time.

Not an expert but would hope that they would last a bit longer... and pay for themselves... but knowing you I suspect you have looked into it at some depth Kelsey.  I suspect me mate's Ute battery station that will keep his house stuff going overnight did not cost that much.  What sort of battery station were you wanting - something that would power recharging yer Teslar Brew Van, a dozen brew fridges, grain mill, salumi fridge, lagering fridge, spa, electric smoker, hop drying ovens, a few Marshall Stacks and PA for the Band, Band lighting, laser light show, Big screen for the Cricket, industrial bar fridges plus air-con overnight?

; )

• Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Not an expert but would hope that they would last a bit longer... and pay for themselves... but knowing you I suspect you have looked into it at some depth Kelsey.  I suspect me mate's Ute battery station that will keep his house stuff going overnight did not cost that much.  What sort of battery station were you wanting - something that would power recharging yer Teslar Brew Van, a dozen brew fridges, grain mill, salumi fridge, lagering fridge, spa, electric smoker, hop drying ovens, a few Marshall Stacks and PA for the Band, Band lighting, laser light show, Big screen for the Cricket, industrial bar fridges plus air-con overnight?

; )

The usual ones used for home situations store around 10kWh, some are 13ish. They do cost over $10k for a good one but the lifespan isn't relatively long yet. I'm sure in the coming years the technology will improve and the price come down, when that happens I'll look into it more. 

For now it's already saving us a heap because I found a plan with low usage costs and a reasonable feed in tariff. It started on Monday and I made up a little spreadsheet on my phone to track costs with the data provided by the system, since the provider doesn't have it on their website yet (from the old provider figures the system is accurate). So far the bill is -$3, however it hasn't been particularly hot this week so there hasn't really been any AC use at night, and the sun has been out most of the time so had more than enough feed in credit to offset usage costs. 

Anyway, the pilsner is in the keg and gassing up. I also refilled the soda water since it was practically empty. The kegerator had a bit of ice built up on the cooling plate but I don't have time to defrost it so it'll just have to do until these two beers are empty. So much for auto defrost 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

The usual ones used for home situations store around 10kWh, some are 13ish. They do cost over $10k for a good one but the lifespan isn't relatively long yet. I'm sure in the coming years the technology will improve and the price come down, when that happens I'll look into it more. 

For now it's already saving us a heap...

Thanks mate... and good luck with it - I reckon that's Gold.  If most of us in Aussie had a PVA system the world would be a better place...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Thanks mate... and good luck with it - I reckon that's Gold.  If most of us in Aussie had a PVA system the world would be a better place...

They're getting more popular. I see them being installed all over the place on a weekly basis. In our street there's probably more than 10 houses with them now including ours, which would be about a third of them. A fair few are renting though. 

• Like 1

It's probably a bit naughty but for the time being the fires are still at arm's length and I can do the ember attack thing even after a cuppla quiet ones... so am enjoying AG Wheatie 1 on Wyeast W3068... somehow it's tasting even better today... maybe I needed to drink it out of a Schneider Weisse glass all along?  Or maybe it's the 40deg plus and howling Westerly?

image.thumb.png.73f48b9a5a5aefca4ab489b5a275cb1a.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

They're getting more popular. I see them being installed all over the place on a weekly basis. In our street there's probably more than 10 houses with them now including ours, which would be about a third of them. A fair few are renting though. 

I didn't know that you could rent a Photo-Voltaic Array Kelsey?

[Just a small pissssstake and attempt at a joke mate]

; )

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Anyway, updated tap list here in the bar, both will be on by Tuesday, with the pilsner tomorrow if I ever get off my bum and keg it.. might do that on 55-60 psi to speed it up a bit since it won't get the full 20-22 hours before gas is turned off. 

PSX_20191221_143538.thumb.jpg.aab0706dc4157be68cdad21b7d1689c5.jpg

I know you are a cricket tragic like me Otto, so did you name it Soap Dodger after the 12th Man CD,s in which Bill calls Tony an Old Soap Dodger ( Referring to his bowling ) ? 🤣🤣

1 minute ago, Red devil 44 said:

I know you are a cricket tragic like me Otto, so did you name it Soap Dodger after the 12th Man CD,s in which Bill calls Tony an Old Soap Dodger ( Referring to his bowling ) ? 🤣🤣

I think he calls him a part time soap dodger referring to him being born in South Africa but yeah 🤣 that one is fully English though, apart from obviously the water 😜

• Haha 2