Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

On 12/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, Beerlust said:

NSW primarily has the same problem as SA. It has large areas of desert to it's left & that's where the bulk of the weather sweeps across from. Dry air carries no moisture.

Pretty hard to get rain from that, particularly in Summer.

The whole agricultural layout of this country is @#$%ed up anyway. Here's a smart idea,.....let's allocate land to millionaires & their mansions along the coast lines where there is usually more rainfall, & push our farmers inland & expect them to grow healthy crops each year under drought conditions for us all to eat. Or better yet, let's sell that precious land off to the Chinese for a back pocket kick-back that only benefits individual politicians so they can become one of those millionaires on the coastlines in their own mansion, with the @#$%ing ridiculously healthy life pension they receive after short terms in office paid by US the taxpayers!

This is just another example of the wisdom & lack of foresight & planning by the @#$%'ing idiots running our country, & our uselessness as a people to stop it.

Not quite correct re SE Aus as NE winds bring in moisture and then if the monsoon comes down and the cold fronts are strong enough we get rainfall... plenty of SE Aus has had more reliable and more total rainfall....  i.e. plenty of SE Aus including NSW gets way more reliable rainfall than SA.  And this is being affected by the change in climate that we are experiencing.

But all the other stuff in Para 3 - agreed.... except our 'uselessness' as I think we all can do a small amount to try to stop it.  I live in hope obviously.

20 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Just for future reference, is Saison supposed to be CLEAR or CLOUDY?

Can be either. But given the flavours are yeast driven, I prefer cloudy.

I remember asking PB2 a similar question about cold conditioning a saison before kegging &/or bottling & he discouraged me from doing so. So I didn't, & the beer turned out really nice to drink (as I sort of suspected it would anyway). 

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2019 at 7:19 PM, Aussiekraut said:

I guess I was close...2 out of three words and the last one starting with B as well 🙂 

Mate you are an IT King - next time - just put in ESB AND beer in the search engine... and you will get the right answer easily...

Otherwise.... you will stuck with nonnnnsense forever....

ESB... An enterprise service bus that implements a communication system between mutually interacting software applications in a service-oriented architecture ...

OR Energy Security Board... or or or ; )

But I guess we can always be saved by the clever people on this site!

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Can be either. But given the flavours are yeast driven, I prefer cloudy.

I remember asking PB2 a similar question about cold conditioning a saison before kegging &/or bottling & he discouraged me from doing so. So I didn't, & the beer turned out really nice to drink (as I sort of suspected it would anyway). 

Cheers,

Lusty.

+1 to no cold crash or a very short one.

• Like 1

Drinking a Mornington Pale Ale, it is probably my favourite beer now. Bright fresh flavours and aroma and the bitterness is perfect for my tastes. The aroma hits you hard, I would put this brew up against any homebrew I have done or tried.

20191231_135129.jpg

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Yeah it’s really good. I’ll be putting another one down next rnr. 
not sure how I’m going to make it better though.............

The one I do ( Wild Wood Pacific Ale, only a K & K ) is nice, the instructions say to ferment above 20 degrees for banana, peach & apple flavour, or at 17 degrees for a clean crisp beer, I’ve always fermented in my fridge at 17 degrees, what do you ferment yours at Captain ?

Just now, Red devil 44 said:

what do you ferment yours at Captain ?

I go for the cleaner side with 1056, 001 or US05, and ferment at 19. Bumped up to 22-23 after 4-5 days. 
Easy peasy. 
Not a fan of the banana or other esters in this cleaner style of beer. 
This was nearly all Vic Secret in place of Galaxy. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

I go for the cleaner side with 1056, 001 or US05, and ferment at 19. Bumped up to 22-23 after 4-5 days. 
Easy peasy. 
Not a fan of the banana or other esters in this cleaner style of beer. 
This was nearly all Vic Secret in place of Galaxy. 

Yeah I use US-05, bump from 17 to around 20 after 6-7 days, never tried Vic Secret ( heard good things about it ), not sure if my LHBS sells it, I just use Galaxy.

5 hours ago, Norris! said:

Drinking a Mornington Pale Ale, it is probably my favourite beer now. Bright fresh flavours and aroma and the bitterness is perfect for my tastes. The aroma hits you hard, I would put this brew up against any homebrew I have done or tried.

What's the ABV Norris?

But Wow I am liking the way you are thinking...

i.e. that Home brewed beer is the benchmark - and we review the commercials against our high standard.

Not the other way around.

Cool way of thinking Cobber.  Luvyerwork.

BB

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What's the ABV Norris?

But Wow I am liking the way you are thinking...

i.e. that Home brewed beer is the benchmark - and we review the commercials against our high standard.

Not the other way around.

Cool way of thinking Cobber.  Luvyerwork.

BB

Hey BB

I think it is 4.7%.

Dude, I used to rate my homebrew in terms of commercial standards but this past year plus, 18 months or so, has shown me that my beers are just as good if not better, but that is all personal preference anyways and maybe my ego talking. I do think a good homebrew is better than a commercial offering any day of the week. You can feel the love in it...like Mom's cookies versus store bought.

I have a Mate, in my town, who also brews and we have been sharing our brews and I have been just as impressed with his stuff as I have with my own and the commercial offerings, so I have been rating pales against his and my beers. I like that standard better and only reference commercial offerings for reference points to our beers.

I will say this, the Mornington Pale Ale seemed like an awesome fresh homebrew that just hit its peak. Maybe I got a super fresh batch or this is just a great beer. I highly recommend people trying it, if they like the highly fruity pales. I think they used Amarillo and citra but I could be wrong. Probably all late additions as the bitterness was present but not overpowering,very complimentary to the beer and with some softness.

The malt was also very balanced with a hint of toffee and a great head retention. Man I get real wanker like when I describe beers.

• Haha 3

Second last beer for 2019 as I'll probably switch over to the pilsner later, but a better snap of the ESB. Got home about 6, and it's a great time of day to sit out the back or the front for that matter, in the nice cool breeze with a nice cold beer. I don't often finish early enough to do this but today was one such occasion.

PSX_20191231_182205.thumb.jpg.d298e71337921e7a774fdb369fde840e.jpg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

never tried Vic Secret ( heard good things about it ), not sure if my LHBS sells it, I just use Galaxy.

Vic Secret is one of my favourite hops, I use to like Galaxy until I got hold of this one. 
it’s everything Galaxy has but more fruit bowl than passionfruit

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Second last beer for 2019 as I'll probably switch over to the pilsner later, but a better snap of the ESB. Got home about 6, and it's a great time of day to sit out the back or the front for that matter, in the nice cool breeze with a nice cold beer. I don't often finish early enough to do this but today was one such occasion.

PSX_20191231_182205.thumb.jpg.d298e71337921e7a774fdb369fde840e.jpg

Looks great mate. What’s your serving pressure.  That’s a lot of bubbles 

Edited by PaddyBrew2

This is my White NEIPA.

Tastes really good actually.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191231195217039_COVER.thumb.jpg.b9ba93b1ab434ad784a1b27af26ecf09.jpg

So... Not quite NEIPA but well fruity. Amarillo is coming through quite strongly but not juicy, decent yeast influence from the Forbidden Fruit yeast.
I'll post back in a few days with how it is going.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Nice Kelsey - looks great.  And thanks for all your help during 2019.  And here's to a great 2020 brewing year and a bit more rain. Cheers. BB

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ben 10 said:

I'll post back in a few days with how it is going.

Great stuff Benny - and thanks mate for all of your help in 2019 - and here's to an even better Brewing Year in 2020!

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Norris! said:

20191231_135129.jpg

You and the missus have a cold beer while your kid is drinking sea salt??

• Haha 4