Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Just blew the keg on the hazy pale ale, dang, it was a lovely beer. The keg only lasted to the 4th week, I gave out about a 12 pack or so, so that makes sense, but still had good aroma and flavour. Great beer, I will brew it again for sure.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Made this https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html for xmas when the in-laws are around. Unfortunately, I cracked one the other day and now I am afraid there won't be any left once they get here next week 😂

What a nice beer it is. Had to hunt for the summer hops a little but got plenty for more batches.

Just looked at the recipe, that looks tasty. I haven't tried summer hops yet, but they look the goods. Here's hoping you have a at least a 12 pack for when they get there.

Norris

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

Just looked at the recipe, that looks tasty. I haven't tried summer hops yet, but they look the goods. Here's hoping you have a at least a 12 pack for when they get there.

Norris

It is very Stone&Wood like. Flavours of apricot and peach and a nice fruity aroma. Light in colour and very easy to drink. Actually, I don't think it needs to hide behind the S&W. One of my better works for sure 🙂 

I've planned an AG pacific ale for the weekend and might replace half of the Galaxy hops with Summer. 

• Like 1

That sounds like a plan. I used to love galaxy hops but have turned off of them a little bit, but have started using them in some brews, as a compliment. Apricot and peach flavours, man, I would drop galaxy for summer in a second.

3 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Actually, I don't think it needs to hide behind the S&W. One of my better works for sure 🙂

Awesome. This is why I brew, to make something better than the commercial offerings. I would be trying to save a little for the relatives.

• Like 1

Hahah, look if it was me, I would drink away, I made it and I am a jerk AND it depends on which relatives! But when I know family is coming, that I like, especially if from overseas, I always try to save something for them to try. Even if they say it tastes like dirty toenails, yes I had that comment early on.

I would be brewing it again back to back on 1/3 of the yeast cake, especially extract as it would take 30 minutes or so. Just to have some ready, but if I remember right, you have quite the stockpile with a cellar and all. I could be wrong on the cellar but that is what I think when you pull a bottle from 6 months ago, I can barely keep my kegs full! Or at least save that tasty recipe, if you made any changes to it. So with that what rating do you give this tasty brew?

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Made this https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html for xmas when the in-laws are around. Unfortunately, I cracked one the other day and now I am afraid there won't be any left once they get here next week 😂

What a nice beer it is. Had to hunt for the summer hops a little but got plenty for more batches.

Good old Galaxy?!  Not that keen on it anymore @Norris! ?

Am still pretty happy with it but maybe Summer should be tried as well by the sounds of it ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler

@Bearded Burbler

Yeah, I used to love it and tossed it in every brew I did, now when I design the recipe, I usually leave it out, for something I haven't tried. That being said all my AG recipes, expect one, was from the LHBS in which I either left as is or made slight adjustments to fit my tastes, usually has galaxy in the recipe. I don't mind it. But enjoy other hops these days. It is a punchy hop though.

• Like 1

Artisan Reserve. Only in the bottle a week, but it's been heatwave time, so they're carbed. Couldn't resit a sneaky one on this 40C day, and 3 more of those on the way...

As per Coopers recipe, but 500g less malt to make it easier drinking. Could only get regular Hellertau too. Struggled to CC low enough, as my fridge was labouring in the heat. But I'm stoked with this one so far, and it's still green. I won't be able to lager it as it's too damn hot in Perth and there's nowhere under 23C to store them. They'll just have to condition as is.

This is a lager, but it's bloody close to the Pilsners I've been trying to make. It's light, crisp, bitter and has that Hallertau aroma. I've done back to back Summer ales and this is different enough to make it worth brewing again. I'll see how it drinks over Xmas, and probably put another down in winter, and then as the weather warms, it should be properly ready.

20191211_185124_resized.thumb.jpg.9a325e0eece9859515bee1d9f4b9c0ef.jpg

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

It is very Stone&Wood like. Flavours of apricot and peach and a nice fruity aroma. Light in colour and very easy to drink. Actually, I don't think it needs to hide behind the S&W. One of my better works for sure 🙂 

I've planned an AG pacific ale for the weekend and might replace half of the Galaxy hops with Summer. 

I did exactly that, dry hopped 25 of summer, turned out great,

cheers

I originally poured myself a glass of my Wakatu Gold, but it was pretty awful... so down the sink it went.  The remainder of the batch will follow -  maybe 10 bottles.    It was an extract brew where I'd used some Muntons LME (bulk) for the first time.  I brewed 2 quick extract beers with a Coopers lager and Muntons LME and both ended up quite hazy, and well, kinda "homebrewy" tasting after a few weeks in the bottle... particularly the golden ale.   I won't be using that cheap Munton's LME again!   

So, I poured this NZPA instead.   It's a partial-mash beer which also actually used some Muntons LME in the recipe and is itself a little hazy as a result, but its much better in all other regards compared to the 100% extract beers.   Sadly the hop aroma has already faded noticeably in this one after only 4 weeks.  Still, it's a nice enough brew on a warm Summer's evening!  There's an AG Irish Red waiting in the queue once I've demolished this one!     😋  

NZPA_Dec2019-1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Nasty old smoky day yet again and a raging inferno all over the place.  No good.  My closest is now at 344,000 hectares.

But am safe enough to crack the @PaddyBrew2 inspired Black IPA AG I did in October in my then new SS Mesh Basket with Re-circ pumping... so it is known as 

Black Basket ; )                  FG 1015... comes in at around 7%ABV. 

Split the batch and this one is with Enigma and Galaxy.   Is creamy Black Gold.  Wheat (Barrett Burston and some Redback as well) helps with creamy texture... the amazing Weyermann Carafa III Dark Malt... beautiful. 

Photo a bit lacklustre but that's our scene at the moment.  And it's cleared up mightily since this morning (the sky).  Cheers.

image.png.402e15dc339994beb51f52dd374bfebe.png

image.png.05eb6a1fe866cfd7d156d7adfbcc222c.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nasty old smoky day yet again and a raging inferno all over the place.  No good.  My closest is now at 344,000 hectares........

Stay safe Burbles, and keep those good brews coming. 😉😐

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Just now, Worthog said:

Stay safe Burbles, and keep those good brews coming. 😉😐

Cheers

Cheers Cob - yeah not good at the moment.  But we'll battle on.  A decent cold-pool massive rain depression would be nice. 

Mowed the Western side of the homestead with the 'dry stick grass' not in the cow-paddock the other day so hopefully won't get it from the West which seems to be arc-ing up at the moment.... basically turned that area into a massive dustbowl. 

The big one is over to the E and SE and hopefully there are some important things in the way that will keep me and the current brews ok : |

• Like 1