Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

14 minutes ago, elLachlano said:

You eat with your eyes first.

So true. When I go into an unfamiliar bakery for a pie or pasty I always choose the product that looks the best. It could be dirty, wet socks and toadstool flavoured but I don't care. That's the one I'm having.

• Haha 3

"Simply Red" - early tasting of my first AG I've brewed in quite some time.  Generally OK BUT... it does have a notable grain/husk taste to it.   I'm suspicious of the crush from the LHBS I bought the ingredients from...  it seemed quite fine compared to what I usually see.   Also the 'sherpherds delight' (extra dark crystal) may play a part.  I don't have any experience with this kind of off -taste which I gather is usually unique to AG so I'm not sure.  Maybe I over sparged??  Anyway, it's quite drinkable but I am hoping the grainy taste will fade in time...    

SimplyRed_Dec2019-1.jpg

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

Trying my 3rd NEIPA, day 16 in the bottle and it's starting to be drinkable, losing that "sour" taste. I am wondering if the different hops I used this time,  Chinook and Hersbrucker could just be producing a different flavor? Hersbrucker is described as earthy, floral, herbal and I used about 100g of it. I wish I could describe the flavour and aroma, but I am stumped, nothing to compare it with in the memory bank I guess!

19 minutes ago, ozlizard said:

Trying my 3rd NEIPA, day 16 in the bottle and it's starting to be drinkable, losing that "sour" taste. I am wondering if the different hops I used this time,  Chinook and Hersbrucker could just be producing a different flavor? Hersbrucker is described as earthy, floral, herbal and I used about 100g of it. I wish I could describe the flavour and aroma, but I am stumped, nothing to compare it with in the memory bank I guess!

Are you getting like a hop burn????

I am enjoying the coopers XPA. I like this beer. It is very balanced, I did get it on sale for $21 for a 6 pack, so I am not complaining, except I can pick up the PoR hops they use for bittering. My only suggestion would be to not use them but that is my preference. I think it overshadows the simcoe and lemondrop.

Unless I don't know what I am talking about and I am picking up something from the lemondrop and simcoe combo, but I taste the PoR as clear as day like I would in a VB or Carlton Draught. But like I said, I still like the beer. It could do with some more hops though, again personal preference.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 2

Having a glass of the hazy pale ale. Hops are not as bright, after 3 weeks but a nice beer that is becoming balanced versus overly hoppy, but still has a good nose and flavour. I am looking forward to seeing how this ends up by week 5 and by the end of the keg.

20191206_212537.jpg

• Like 5

Centenarillo ale. Probably needs another day to chill properly and finish carbonating fully but it's good enough now to enjoy it, which is good because there's no other beer here 😂. Not quite the same as I remember the extract version but the sweetness from the fermenter sample has gone and it's nicely balanced now. Less fruity than I remember, but my palate would likely have changed in the last 6 years or whenever it was I brewed it last. Too used to a lot of late and dry hops now in those beers. Cleared up nicely too. 

PSX_20191207_130604.thumb.jpg.b30227c51733b3ac1edc473f4a208ab1.jpg

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 8

We're supposed to b on Thunderstorm alert...   but looks like the metservice computer modelling was a bit off...again!   Actually, I wonder if the predictive modelling they use is the same technology used to forecast the impacts of climate change?  Because if it is... there might be a wee problem!    🤣

Speaking of which  -  a late afternoon shot taken yesterday... you can clearly see the impact of the Sydney bush fire smoke is having on this side of the Tasman!

ThunderstormNZPA_8Dec2019 (1 of 1).jpg

Okahu_7Dec2019-6.jpg

• Like 1

Sovereign IPA - first attempt an a British IPA.  It didn't go all that well actually, the Pioneer hops I trialed for bittering were seemingly 'dead'.  The wort was almost totally devoid of any detectable bittering.  Fortunately I had kept some hop pulp from a previous dry-hopped NZPA in the fridge. So, I did the maths and boiled up the necessary amount for 15 minutes and tossed the resultant hop tea into the FV in the hope of rescuing the beer.   Well, I can happily say it was a great success. This is a very nice beer... though oddly not too dissimilar to the NZPA!  😁   The hop pulp was a combo of three NZ hops which have now noticeably influenced the flavour of this beer.  I was actually hoping to get a sense of the Sovereign hops originally used for flavour and aroma but I think they've been somewhat overshadowed by the 'rescue' hops.  Anyway... turned out great, though stylistically speaking it's not all that different to APA's to my tastes to be honest.  

One interesting thing is the clarity on both this one and the previous AG Irish Red - both are super bright... and that's with no whirlfloc added in the kettle which I usually do.  I think from now on I'll forget about whirlfloc... seems unnecessary based on these recent results.    🤓

SovereignIPA_10Dec2019 (1 of 1).jpg

• Like 3

Got a few in rotation now so I thought I’d sticker em up so it not so much of a lucky dip in the fridge. 
The Aussie lager isn’t ready yet, should be rtd in about 10 days. The rest arnt hanging around long in this hot QLD heat we've got happening. Cheers 

Aussie lager

steam ale

Xtra pale ale

pale ale.

9E94CD97-05E2-4C5E-B125-89E4AFA8B04B.jpeg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Got a few in rotation now so I thought I’d sticker em up so it not so much of a lucky dip in the fridge. 
The Aussie lager isn’t ready yet, should be rtd in about 10 days. The rest arnt hanging around long in this hot QLD heat we've got happening. Cheers 

Aussie lager

steam ale

Xtra pale ale

pale ale.

Nice job Cob!

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Aussie lager

steam ale

Xtra pale ale

pale ale.

9E94CD97-05E2-4C5E-B125-89E4AFA8B04B.jpeg

Those labels are mint!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2019 at 5:02 PM, BlackSands said:

We're supposed to b on Thunderstorm alert...   but looks like the metservice computer modelling was a bit off...again!   Actually, I wonder if the predictive modelling they use is the same technology used to forecast the impacts of climate change?  Because if it is... there might be a wee problem!    

Yeah seems like we are in the shittt… and I can vouch for the fact that we have gone down in average rainfall.... been a shitty decline big time.  A steady decline over last 20 years for SE Aussie... better for the West.  And the Fire Fella for forty years on the radio retired saying the Sep fires were nothing like he had ever seen for his 40 years of being involved in fire control in SE Aussie.  My mate the Barley grower not had a crop in for two years now in normally a very good grain growing area. 

Interesting link to have a look at: 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-06/how-climate-change-has-impacted-your-life/11766018

Some may not agree - but I do think something is going on and this is not 'business as usual'. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1