Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

3 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

[sticklebract]  Is GREAT

I think it's a hop that has an image/marketing problem.  'Sticklebract' sounds more like a painful medical condition!   😄  I don't know why they just don't simply rename it like they've done with some others (NZ Cascade = Taiheke, Brooklyn = Moutere, Hallertau Aroma = Wakatu etc). There's still a few place names left in the Nelson hop growing region they could use: Mahana, Atapo or Mapua for example.  They could work well and they certainly don't sound like some horrible infectious disease!  😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

I think it's a hop that has an image/marketing problem.  'Sticklebract' sounds more like a painful medical condition!   😄  I don't know why they just don't simply rename it like they've done with some others (NZ Cascade = Taiheke, Brooklyn = Moutere, Hallertau Aroma = Wakatu etc). There's still a few place names left in the Nelson hop growing region they could use: Mahana, Atapo or Mapua for example.  They could work well and they certainly don't sound like some horrible infectious disease!  😂

I have heard good things about it from a brewer but that is the exact reason I never was game enough to use it. The name sounds like a disease. I admit that I was fooled by marketing on this hop, probably fooled on a fool other things also. Coke zero, Mick Malthouse, Nebraska Cornhuskers just to name a few.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ben 10 said:

Black IPA Saison..... FREAKISHLY good. @Aussiekraut perhaps a decent Saison yeast will be the go and not a Kveik?

20191120_175600.thumb.jpg.4fbcb5ffa0deef66b323d63f9cade39d.jpg

Dank chocolate and fruity..........

Prolly is. Just experimenting. Learning by doing as they say 🙂 This forum taught me a lot but you got to get out and try things. I took a sample of the beer earlier. It's dropped from 1080 to 1040 with an expected FG of 1023, so it's been ripping through the brew. Thing is, the sample tasted a little sour. Now I don't know if it is the "stressed" orange flavour or an infection (I think I made a few rookie mistakes in terms of sanitation). I'm hoping it is the former as I've never seen an infection take things to the sour point within 2 days. Dry hopping it tomorrow.

• Like 2

Terrible dreadful news.... the fires are still going.... hmmm the bad one nearby is now in status: 'being controlled' which is GREAT (as opposed to 'out of control')... but my bad news is...

the KEG ran out... Aaaargh the momentary lapse of reason... that it would keep on going.... Ah well... I guess the pain of my very first AG keg running out will be enough to make me prepared to avoid this in the future!  

In the meantime - Thursday eve - a great day for an AG GSP - Galaxy SMASH Pils - after 2 months at 2 deg C lagering…  cleared up well... AND

Is incredibly tasty and refreshing:

image.png.de0a45e22b75e968f28130ead054d1ab.png

• Like 9

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

"Back To Roots" NZPA utilising 3 'legacy'NZ hops: Sticklebract, Dr Rudi and Green Bullet. 

😋

Nice.  Good to see using some of the good old varieties.  Got some Dr Rudi in growing but dunno with weather how I'll go.  Good stuff.

• Like 2