Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

3 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

CH-47 Pale SMASH

Maris otter with US Chinook for bittering and our Chinook flowers for flavor.

CPA.thumb.jpg.82ec794f35450dbb838937f82f5fd547.jpg

Wow.  Beautiful Maurice... the hops doing their climb in the background?  Looks a great set-up... are you in Tas?

Bit of a "Burbler Brewing" Brewery Tour today... back on the AG Biscuit Ale...  my second AG Ale?! Just lovely...  such a velvet texture and the Biscuit malt shining through... bottled in June...  5 months in the bottle has not harmed it... though I reckon it was drinking pretty well from the get-go!  At a bit of a mates' HB tasting this one came through as Number 1...  is lovely. 

And some Red Earth Hoppers in the background making a beeline for the heavens!  Hopefully they last the distance and I can keep the water up to them. Cheers Brewers. BB

image.thumb.png.077949af9e747bd36805f5fde6c070a4.png

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Is this a red wheat beer? Flanders is definitely Belgian and most of their beers are wheats, so me is coming to conclusions. Met up with a friend in a pub in Liege earlier this year, which had a poop load of beers on tap and in bottles. It was kinda heaven 🙂 

It is a mild-ish sour red ale. Some contain wheat but not in large quantities.

22 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Wow.  Beautiful Maurice... the hops doing their climb in the background?  Looks a great set-up... are you in Tas?

Yeah hops are on the march upwards. We are in the Adelaide hills so while on the borderline latitude wise, they seem to grow quite well up here as they are protected from the winds and extreme heat and the winter is sufficiently cold. Last year we harvested around 5kg of dry flowers from 6 crowns, 2 Cascade, 2 Chinook and 2 Victoria. Next year I will dig them all up and split as they are starting to spread out too much. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Is this a red wheat beer?

Nope, 'tis a sour.... 

A base of Vienna and/or Munich malts, light to medium cara-malts, and a small amount of Special B are used with up to 20% maize. Low alpha acid continental hops are commonly used (avoid high alpha or distinctive American hops). Saccharomyces, Lactobacillus and Brettanomyces (and acetobacter) contribute to the fermentation and eventual flavor.

If you have not had one buy a Rodenbach..... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No, just another plastic one. Stainless would be nice but I'm not sure it'd fit in the fridge. Could always use a 30 litre olive oil drum I suppose. 

@Aussiekraut Agreed, it's pretty ordinary to get to. The Milton one is probably easier for public transport being right near Milton railway station, although parking is similarly crappy. There are trains running after midnight but I think it's just one or two on each line from about 3:30am. White lies is just down the road from me, still have to go check it out. 

Hey Otto I haven’t tried White Lies but have frequented the Pumpyard in town here, had a School Reunion there are few weeks ago, still hurt paying $7-8 a schooner of their brew when I can make it myself for a fraction of the cost 🤣They have invited me to their bfew day but that’s aways on a Tuesday & I’m working , may get there one day 😃🍺🍺

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Maurice79 said:

Yeah hops are on the march upwards. We are in the Adelaide hills so while on the borderline latitude wise, they seem to grow quite well up here as they are protected from the winds and extreme heat and the winter is sufficiently cold. Last year we harvested around 5kg of dry flowers from 6 crowns, 2 Cascade, 2 Chinook and 2 Victoria. Next year I will dig them all up and split as they are starting to spread out too much. 

Beeeeyoooodiful!

6 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Visited 1st Choice to get a few samples.

Loved the porter. Nice and chocolaty with a nice, not overbearing residual bitterness. Just what I like, when I sit down in the evening to relax. The coastal ale is reminiscent of a Pacific Ale, just a little lighter on the palate and in looks. Fruity and all, it's a nice thirst quencher on a hot Queensland day but not a beer one would like to consume after 8pm, unless it is still stinking hot of course. 

Got a few more to report on later.

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_6017.jpg

I sat and sat and waited for them to open in Newstead. The porter was one of my favourites then. Then they started to get really popular and I found Green Beacon just down the road so started heading there. Sort of glad to be back working in Newstead!

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Not my favourite but the make some darn good beer. I go to their outlet in Newstead when I go to a gig at the Triffid but rarely make it there any other time. It's just hard to get to, parking in the area sucks and even public transport isn't an option. Not that Brissy is famous for it. I just say last train out of the city at 12:20am on a Saturday...from the Valley...

Have you been to Felons? I hear people talk about them but never got there.

Alright if you work across the road. That said I probably wouldn’t go there if I didn’t.

Haven’t been to Felons but like some of their beers. Tried quite a few and they’ve guest spotted on taps at a few places.

2 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

FLANDERS. OMFG

So good, better post some before I drink it all. It's kinda like sherbet....

IMG_20191111_161326-1.thumb.jpg.4f14649bccd338491f40e31c697b9694.jpg

So they are getting better batch by batch then Ben? The one you gave me was superb, so if they are getting better batch by batch, I can only imagine how good these are now

5 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

So they are getting better batch by batch then Ben?

It's a little hard to tell mate, 5 months apart, memory gets distorted.

If yiu get your brewery up I'll happily throw in some coin and come over and sour brew.

LOVE IT

2nd Brew is in the glass and going down well...   

•  Based on 1.7kg Amber Ale Kit (non-Cooper)
  • 1.2kg LDM
  • 500g Dextrose/ 250g Maltodextrin
  • 20g Cascade in the boil
  • US05
  • Dry Hopped = Cascade, Centennial, Kent Goldings.
  • OG = 1051
  • FG = 1011
  • 2 x Carb Drops / 750ml

Got this one Brewing back in September. It has now been 3 weeks in the bottle and I'm enjoying it. SWMBO prefers it to the JS Hop Thief we've been drinking recently so I guess that means my future Home Brewing days are safe .. for the moment 🙂 

Brewed at 18C, Conditioning has been a bit high at 26C-28C. In the bottle it is lovely and clear but I'm getting what I presume to be Chill Haze in the glass. This beer tastes great straight from the fridge or left to sit for half an hour in the glass (great aroma). Fruity, hoppy and full bodied. good carbonation but Low head retention. Would do again.

20191111_173121.thumb.jpg.d75588c85516ac293ad62e2ca5f75789.jpg20191111_165359.thumb.jpg.d56c0286b6711392057187ab5cab36c5.jpg

Edited by Abbot-67
  • Like 7

12 hours ago, Ben 10 said:

If yiu get your brewery up I'll happily throw in some coin and come over and sour brew.

It’ll take a few years but I’m working on it. 
ultra small batch brewing.

Captains Ale House. 

It’ll probably have a Red IPA on the menu called Skulduggery I’d say ha ha ha......

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

First taste of a new batch of saison fermented using my Dupont and Belle blend.  Early days in the bottle for this batch but wow. Cant wait till it gets to a couple of months. I usually do a 85/15 pale and wheat and let the yeast shine but this one had some vienna and special b in it. The special b added a whole new dimension. 

1573550528173-375069192.jpg

• Like 8

I am sipping on this American wheat beer that has really cleared up in the keg. I went really light on the hops and only kegged hopped with 25g of centennial...for the first 3 weeks or so it was just a beer, little flavour and aroma. But by week 4 or maybe even 6 or 7 it has hit its stride, I am picking up some floral aroma, that is about it, but it is a nice drink on a hot day. Very refreshing and easy drinker this one.  It was clean and crisp previously, but over time I would say it has improved from bland to something that is enjoyable on a lawnmower brew type of level. I guess the body has improved. My Carlton Draught drinking friend, was getting into after work. He liked the approachability of it (wanker). Just kidding. He said the floral hops were strong but I could hardly pick them up...

Pretty happy with it as it is my 1st AG brew I made. There isn't anything to hide behind in this one. If I brewed the base recipe again, I would increase the hops to make it something like a Pacific ale, low bitterness high aroma and more flavour. Basically just dry hop the bejeezus out of it, kind of, probably about 5g/l next time.

Norris20191113_154848.thumb.jpg.c4477de2dee5d9fbf295aa5016eeaf6a.jpg

• Like 5

20 hours ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

First taste of a new batch of saison fermented using my Dupont and Belle blend.  Early days in the bottle for this batch but wow. Cant wait till it gets to a couple of months. I usually do a 85/15 pale and wheat and let the yeast shine but this one had some vienna and special b in it. The special b added a whole new dimension. 

1573550528173-375069192.jpg

F**k yeah Greeny

16 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Yeah i never thought of a darkish saison. Always stuck with the traditional pale/golden colour. But how this one turned out im thinking of going darker even.

The special B is a great grain for that, as soon as I read it I just went duh! That’s the grain you want, I’ve been thinking about that raisin note and that colour, sensational