Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

7 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I haven't brewed that recipe but I have never had an American pale ale that is as dark as what the amber malt tin does to a brew. They've always been a golden colour of different hues, not copper. Maybe there are some out there like that but neither LC or fat yak are that dark.

No offence mate, but you typically brew one interpretation of the style based off the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale out of Californi-Yay! Typically warm weather all year round much like the home state of sunny Ol' QLD that you reside in.

The northern parts of America get bloody cold. On the East coast places like New York, Maine, Massachusetts, & on the West coast, Places like Oregon, & Washington, then the mountain country in the central North like Colorado, Utah, Wyoming. You'll find their Pale Ales generally carry a lot more colour there for obvious reasons. The lighter fruit bombs usually only come out in the warmer months as they are not very satisfying when it's below zero outside.

Cheers,

Lusty.

The one year I didn’t like. The commercial version was lovely. The homebrew version was miles off. I recall King Rud in his tasting video more or less commented the same. I know they change over time but I cracked one recent and it still was nowhere near what you’d expect. It was the first year they deviated from the toucan.  And noted that this years release is different again. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

The one year I didn’t like. The commercial version was lovely. The homebrew version was miles off. I recall King Rud in his tasting video more or less commented the same. I know they change over time but I cracked one recent and it still was nowhere near what you’d expect. It was the first year they deviated from the toucan.  And noted that this years release is different again. 

I thought about the same of my homebrew version for months, almost gave up on it.  I have had a dozen long necks sitting at the top of the cupboard for the past few months.  The post above is the second one I have now had in the past week.  It was bottled on 6 October last year.  I am now impressed with it.

I will have to do a side-by-side taste test against the commercial version (I kept a dozen stubbies too) to see how it compares.  I think it is much closer now.  Might have to wait for the weekend though, because at 7.5% there is only so may I can consume on a school night. 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cracked open my latest Pale. 10 days in the bottle. Didn’t think I’d have such good carbonation this early. 

4.8kg pale 2 row

.5kg Munich

.25kg light crystal 

42IBU

12g warrior @60

20 cascade/10 Amarillo @30

12cascade/6 Amarillo @ 10

Dry hop on day 7 with 60g of centennial 

5.5% bottled

will probably up the Munich next time round 

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Didn't get enough time the fridge and not a great pour, but my cold malt extraction Aramis pils is so tasty. 

DSC_0180.JPG

....The 1st Mr. Whippy beer! 😜

Well done John, I'm glad it turned out well flavour-wise. 😎 

Cheers,

Lusty.

24 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

In Windy Wellington at the moment and sampling a few of there choice and sweet as creations. The pick for me at the moment has been the IPL.

Chur cuzzie

Bit late in the year for the IPL is it not mate?  😝

image.png.0d567cc8f92d1c1dcc4f51a27f0bb950.png

Been a bit quiet on the forum - doesn't mean I've been quiet on the brewing.

00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20191022192409961.thumb.jpg.1fed1f87fef9a4a7a1854615b46d1644.jpg

Here's my 2nd BoPils from Melb Winter Shed temps. Sooo much better than the 1st attempt. Not sure if it was just the extra Saaz dry hop or I kept the temp on this one more consistent. There wan't much more variation on the 2 but this is a clear winner!

Either way, I'm glad there's still ~24 longnecks still to get through.

• Like 7