Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

22 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Just putting my Oktoberfest, also based on the Cervesa kit, on CO2. I did add some extra hops. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Christina.

I actually suspect the hop addition I did make was largely ineffective.  I think the Wakatu hops were old and depleted to the point where I've now reconsidered where I purchase my hops from.  I know two of my LHBS just have hops loosely bagged/boxed in a fridge.  I've just purchased ingredients from a different supplier - vac-sealed hops - however, I now suspect they're just vac-sealed to order from a bulk source that too could be stored in a less than ideal circumstance.  

Either way, as Otto suggested I think the IBU's really need to land in the upper 20's and I suspect what I'm tasting is little more than the 16IBU bittering from the Cerveza can.  

Edited by BlackSands

9 hours ago, BlackSands said:

As it happens I'm actually English so can switch loyalties where and when applicable 😜 

Mmmmm my lot are Deutsch so that works out well when it is the round ball game ; )

And useful for Beer and Food tours in Bayern!

• Like 1

Well I kegged my maiden keg just now with my second ever AG IPA... my very first keg experiment (over on the Kegging Thread)... so am celebrating with my first ever AG IPA in the old tried and true methodology of secondary ferment in glass Coopers Bottle... a beautiful thing and in @PaddyBrew2's recommended Spiegelau glass... also a beautiful thing ; )   But to be kept away from clumsy visitors no doubt!!! Yeeehaaaa!

image.png.975e4943b58d5ebd47291cc0f9d364ef.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 16

8 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Well I kegged my maiden keg just now with my second ever AG IPA... my very first keg experiment (over on the Kegging Thread)... so am celebrating with my first ever AG IPA in the old tried and true methodology of secondary ferment in glass Coopers Bottle... a beautiful thing and in @PaddyBrew2's recommended Spiegelau glass... also a beautiful thing ; )   But to be kept away from clumsy visitors no doubt!!! Yeeehaaaa!

Looks great mate. 👍

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Looks great mate. 👍

Cheers mate - and very much thank you - and all the festive Brewers one and all on this site - really has made this amazing brew quality AG brewing thing happen for me!

Cheers

BB

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

On ya codge. That looks a great drop and from the keg no doubt. Well done BB2

• Haha 1

On 10/3/2019 at 9:31 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

Dry hopping rates are going up. 4g/L used to be pretty standard for IPAs, but 8g/L is pretty common now, from what I read, and even more. It is like an arms race.

At a certain point the shear volume of hop matter becomes an issue, due to absorption and resinous / grassy notes. I think when you get to that point common sense ought to tell you to stop, but the commercial guys turn to hop extracts to push it further. God knows where it will end, before the pendulum swings the other way.

Cheers,

Christina.

A study was done comparing different dry hopping rates from 2g/L to 16g/L. I had read the study before but had forgotten about it. I am glad I stumbled across it again. Citrus aromas hit a saturation point at 4g/L, and herbal and tea aromas at 8g/L. Basically anything above 8g/L is a waste.

https://patspints.com/2019/01/16/the-surprising-science-of-dry-hopping-lessons-from-tom-shellhammer/

Personally I like citrus aromas, but I am not interested in herbal and tea aromas. If I want tea aroma, I will have a cup of tea; if I want herbal, I will have a salad.😆

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

On ya codge. That looks a great drop and from the keg no doubt. Well done BB2

Definitely a great brew - but that one was yet from the Bottle Paddy old cobber - but the Keg is being force carbed with second generation IPA AG… being gassed up as I type ; )

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 7:21 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

Great photo! Might need some advice in a few weeks. Brew day tomorrow for my maiden keg. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 6:20 AM, Beer Baron said:

I found a beer in the back of the fridge. It turned out to be a stout and it had aged nicely. Not a bad beer at all

C184871C-431D-4354-8F06-787AED649D8D.jpeg

0F741335-BB4F-4E6D-AF3A-C6E7F291998D.jpeg

How deep is ya fridge? No beer in my fridge last more than a few days  😆

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Hilltop hops said:

Great photo! Might need some advice in a few weeks. Brew day tomorrow for my maiden keg. 

Hey there HH - Good luck with the brew mate!

As for the Maiden Keg - best thing ever I reckon is to jump across to our Its Kegging Time Thread... and have a look through that - some good discussion.

And then I watched some uTube internet type videos which were ok... 

But I think basically if the keg is clean... and you can gas it up and release the gas a few times... to get rid of Oxygen present...  then open and pipe the brew into it calmly - I left my gas on a  bit to keep a CO2 rich atmosphere... with that mini-lid on as much as possible...  fillerup... then it's just lock the lid and gas it up in the fridge... I am going 12-14PSI for a cuppla weeks... loadsa good inf over on the Kegging Time thread... different ways.  But the colder the better. 

Am looking forward to my results (hope they are half decent) and looking forward to seeing how you go too mate!

Cheers and good brewing/kegging HH!

BB

• Thanks 1

image.thumb.png.38d03ed3fe713518a6c32885b406bfa8.png

The crazy daze of AG Brewing and limitless possibilities... thanks to @porschemad911 for the inspiration to do a DAMPF BIER... barley beer w weissbier yeast... 

Steam Beer... so I did an IPA base with mostly barley and a little bit of wheat, bittering hops... then split to two FVs... and did one as IPA with US05 and late hopping... earlier beer this week.

And then the other... used that same base brew... and no late hopping but fermented with Wyeast Weihenstephan liquid yeast Wheatie W3068... and this is the Dampf Bier above.

I reckon it is nicer poured off the yeast cake in the bottle... but is still cloudy like a Weizen… has good creamy bubble texture like a Weizen… and even tho a barley malt dominant beer... I think its flavour make-up due to W3068 means the flavour is much more in the Weissbier spectrum... 

Bizarre, interesting and tasty.  But an amazing lesson on how important your yeast is in what your beer is going to turn out like!?! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

image.thumb.png.38d03ed3fe713518a6c32885b406bfa8.png

The crazy daze of AG Brewing and limitless possibilities... thanks to @porschemad911 for the inspiration to do a DAMPF BIER... barley beer w weissbier yeast... 

Steam Beer... so I did an IPA base with mostly barley and a little bit of wheat, bittering hops... then split to two FVs... and did one as IPA with US05 and late hopping... earlier beer this week.

And then the other... used that same base brew... and no late hopping but fermented with Wyeast Weihenstephan liquid yeast Wheatie W3068... and this is the Dampf Bier above.

I reckon it is nicer poured off the yeast cake in the bottle... but is still cloudy like a Weizen… has good creamy bubble texture like a Weizen… and even tho a barley malt dominant beer... I think its flavour make-up due to W3068 means the flavour is much more in the Weissbier spectrum... 

Bizarre, interesting and tasty.  But an amazing lesson on how important your yeast is in what your beer is going to turn out like!?! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Love your experimental side mate. You’re brewing all sorts. Well done

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice - keg - bottle - yeast?

They look great mate - well done!

Both are bottled.

Lager is a simple kit base with the Canadian Blonde, 1kg Briess pilsner Malt and 200g dried Victoria flowers steeped for 10 mins. Yeast was W34/70 at 10c. 

Pale is AG - 78% Gladfield Ale, 14% Golden promise, 6%Munich and 2% 80L Crystal. Magnum @60 mins and 300g dried Victoria hop flowers at flame out for 10 mins. Yest was two packs of coopers ale yeast.

I've done several versions of the pale with the same malt bill using the three different hop varieties we grow (Cascade,Chinook & Victoria) with different yeasts.  So far its US05 v Coopers v American Ale 1272 with the 1272 my favourite of the three.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Maurice79 said:

Both are bottled.

Lager is a simple kit base with the Canadian Blonde, 1kg Briess pilsner Malt and 200g dried Victoria flowers steeped for 10 mins. Yeast was W34/70 at 10c. 

Pale is AG - 78% Gladfield Ale, 14% Golden promise, 6%Munich and 2% 80L Crystal. Magnum @60 mins and 300g dried Victoria hop flowers at flame out for 10 mins. Yest was two packs of coopers ale yeast.

I've done several versions of the pale with the same malt bill using the three different hop varieties we grow (Cascade,Chinook & Victoria) with different yeasts.  So far its US05 v Coopers v American Ale 1272 with the 1272 my favourite of the three.

Bllllardy beautiful Maurice... great work.

The Lager - Vic Flowers - and most of all - W34/70 - cannot go wrong I say... great job.

And the Pale...

Well home grown hops... Gold.

Am happy with US05 - but each to their own... and it is surprising what the yeast impact can be!

Great stuff... good brewing Maurice

BB

ROTM Styrian Ale has firmed up in the bottles very nicely after one week, so thought what the hell let's open one! Pretty darn impressed after only one week, good colour, carbonation and tastes bloody good. Might have to chuck another one in the freezer. Looking forward to tasting it in another week or two.

• Like 3