Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Might try a red ale later and see how carbonation is going. It went in last weekend but the gas ran out a day later, it's been back on since Friday when I got the full cylinder, so I'm not expecting it would be fully done yet but interested to see how it is. After that I'll leave it alone till next weekend. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Might try a red ale later and see how carbonation is going. It went in last weekend but the gas ran out a day later, it's been back on since Friday when I got the full cylinder, so I'm not expecting it would be fully done yet but interested to see how it is. After that I'll leave it alone till next weekend. 

Hey there Kelsey.

So how long do you usually force-carb up on a freshly filled keg - about a week by the looks.... and at 12-14PSI?

Probably should just look back in the 'It's Kegging Time' thread but am in the wrong place and feel the need to be reminded 😝

Got my second ever AG IPA in the fridge and it will be two weeks at 12-14 and 1.7-2degC on Thursday ; )

So just pour at same pressure?

• Haha 1

Yes if carbonating on serving pressure it's about a week to fully carbonate it, and just pour on the same pressure, hence it being called serving pressure 😜 I usually run at about 12psi, or thereabouts. It says 14 on the dial but the check valves drop it a bit. Whatever it is, it gives me the level of carbonation I want. 

Very early taste of the red ale, at least in terms of carbonation. It's already had a week cold crashing and a week in the kegerator. There is some carbonation noticeable but it's far from done, enough to enjoy it but no real head formation or retention. The most important thing - the taste - is as good as always, and the beer is lovely and cold too. Not the greatest photo, but it has cleared pretty well already and will only improve with more time in there. 

20191110_122806.thumb.jpg.fe33031d50ec26521040bd2f248fb89d.jpg

• Like 3

Last night was the time.... From the sublime to the bizarre... got an ancient bag of BESTMALZ Red X cuppla months ago... noone had any idea of how old... was gifted... I wrote to BestMalz in Heidelberg with the Bag Code... they were extremely helpful... kindly advised that the bag ID Coding had changed in 2016... and that this was an older coding... but looked further into it and found it was Nov 2015... so that four year old type timeline.  These 'ANCIENT GRAINS' did not have that lovely sweet bready smell and taste that good malt has...  smelled 'dusty' and more earthy... so wasn't holding any hope for it... but milled some up and brewed a very small batch all the same... stovetop... ferment with some US05 slurry... at 18 deg C.... some leftover noble hops.

The BestMalz team said not likely to be any good anymore.  They were right.  But if I did not have access to fresher malts in my larder... and that was the only malted grain I had access to... I would brew it out.  But as I have some much younger lovely BBurston-Weyermann-Voyager and some specialty malts I am going to pass the remaining malt to my horsey mate.

The experimental AG brew tasted ok... maybe mind-over-matter did not give it much chance...  good texture.. but it probably was a bit more earthy that an ale should be.  It was a worthy experiment as I received a whole unopened bag for nix.  My take on this is... if it is like four years old... been kept in a shed where it can get very warm in summer... and smells and tastes a bit old dusty earthy... probably not on a winner... feed it to your animals maybe.  Thought it was of interest though to share with all you festive Brewers. Cuppla pics below.  Think it actually looks better than it tasted 😜

image.png.93cbb7e52d9dd3e26bd382b3a6af6b24.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4

Visited 1st Choice to get a few samples.

Loved the porter. Nice and chocolaty with a nice, not overbearing residual bitterness. Just what I like, when I sit down in the evening to relax. The coastal ale is reminiscent of a Pacific Ale, just a little lighter on the palate and in looks. Fruity and all, it's a nice thirst quencher on a hot Queensland day but not a beer one would like to consume after 8pm, unless it is still stinking hot of course. 

Got a few more to report on later.

IMG_6016.jpg

IMG_6017.jpg

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Visited 1st Choice to get a few samples.

Loved the porter. Nice and chocolaty with a nice, not overbearing residual bitterness. Just what I like, when I sit down in the evening to relax. The coastal ale is reminiscent of a Pacific Ale, just a little lighter on the palate and in looks. Fruity and all, it's a nice thirst quencher on a hot Queensland day but not a beer one would like to consume after 8pm, unless it is still stinking hot of course. 

Got a few more to report on later.

Nice AK!

Yeah a few years ago availed myself of the odd Growler from Newstead Brew... some ok beers they make.

But am thinking we can do a better job doing AG at home ; )

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Nice AK!

Yeah a few years ago availed myself of the odd Growler from Newstead Brew... some ok beers they make.

But am thinking we can do a better job doing AG at home ; )

I've got the goods for AG but am not quite there. 2 more weeks before I will fire up the Guten for the first time and then we'll see 🙂 If only making good beer was as easy as drinking it 🙂 But I am in good hands here in the forum. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

I've got the goods for AG but am not quite there. 2 more weeks before I will fire up the Guten for the first time and then we'll see 🙂 If only making good beer was as easy as drinking it 🙂 But I am in good hands here in the forum. 

Mate if a ham-fisted bumbler like me can make ace AG HB you will be laughing!

There will be some basic practical hurdles you will have to overcome... but a few goes at it and plenty legend AG brewers on this site... you are in safe hands!!!

I do BIAB and am on a stainless steel basket now with a bigger vat and am doing a pumped recirc…  and got me first keg in force-carb at the moment... 

So am evolving things as I go along... this is my sheer commitment to continuous improvement! 😉  (capitalising on a bit of bullllshitting business managers' jargon-speak)

I don't know much about Gutens and Brewzillas and Grainfathers… but there seem to be plenty of people on the site that get good results and that Guten looks like a nice bit of gear.

Good luck with it mate.

BB

• Like 1

It's good but way overpriced.

I had a ripper IPA at a great place called Wandering Cooks near QPAC when in Bris for a  brief visit a little while ago - I fear Wandering Cooks are going to have to leave as the place is being smashed down to build some filthy big mega high-rise...  they have loadsa micro guest beers...  And from memory the Barman said it was from a micro at Kangaroo Point?  One coming up on a websearch called Sealegs? Was delectable... and reminded me of the great IPA that micro Rusty Penny make in Penrith I sometimes get to grab a growler from when galloping past and they are open ; )

Between that (possibly?) Sealegs IPA and Rusty Penny's IPA converted me to being an IPA fan😜

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Newstead is probably my favourite Brisbane brewery. I would buy their stuff more often if it wasn't so bloody expensive. Maybe now with two fermenters going I'll treat myself to the occasional sixer. 

Not my favourite but the make some darn good beer. I go to their outlet in Newstead when I go to a gig at the Triffid but rarely make it there any other time. It's just hard to get to, parking in the area sucks and even public transport isn't an option. Not that Brissy is famous for it. I just say last train out of the city at 12:20am on a Saturday...from the Valley...

Have you been to Felons? I hear people talk about them but never got there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Between that (possibly?) Sealegs IPA and Rusty Penny's IPA converted me to being an IPA fan😜

Not mega big on IPAs but Aether in Milton make a pretty decent IPA called Hop, Skip and Jump and their Black IPA (what an oxymoron) called Black as your Heart has to be one of my favourites in terms of what Brissy has to offer. Together with White Lies' Bust a Nut and the Mexican Stout Ballistic sold a while a go. Not sure if they still do.

• Haha 1

Not what I am drinking... but what me mate is drinking right now... my VERY LAST of the famous Coopers Dark Ale Toucan... Coopers Dark Ale plus Coopers OS Lager and some dry malt... from the dim distant past KnK days... he's asking where to sign up ; )  It also appears to have cleared up somewhat from when I first made it... 

Am now wondering why on earth I took @PaddyBrew2's advice to get rid of the ol' KnK to me mates when it is looking that good?!🤣  Anyway... he takes a good beer photo and has provided excellent brew-worthy feedback on 4 different brews so he'll get another few bottles as time goes by 😉

image.png.9747b8cf56d8cadfeb0a3648dbbbb4d2.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good luck with your double FVs @Otto Von Blotto… did you go Stainless with your second one?

You'll have Otto Brewing production rates going through the roof 😝

The BCC will be wondering where all the town water has gone?

... into Kelsey's Beer!!! 😋

No, just another plastic one. Stainless would be nice but I'm not sure it'd fit in the fridge. Could always use a 30 litre olive oil drum I suppose. 

@Aussiekraut Agreed, it's pretty ordinary to get to. The Milton one is probably easier for public transport being right near Milton railway station, although parking is similarly crappy. There are trains running after midnight but I think it's just one or two on each line from about 3:30am. White lies is just down the road from me, still have to go check it out. 

Edited by Otto Von Blotto
  • Like 1

All this talk of beer... made me thirsty.  So am cracking me first one for Sunday evening... one of the last of the AG Dampfbier bottled in 500ml swingtops using bulk prime.  The AG wort was same base as for my first AG IPA and without the dry hopping... but pitched with W3068 Weihenstephaner Weissbier yeast.... was a worthy experiment the Dampfbier… and seriously indicates the MASSIVE impact that yeast type has on a brew…  this tastes so much closer to wheat beer even tho it is a BARLEY dominant ale wort... and the IPA run by US05 with the late hops came out very well as an IPA... same wort.

So yeah I guess it made me clearly realise the importance of the Yeast strain being pitched!!!

image.png.57304bd2efc88fce444ec44fa14c64f7.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

No, just another plastic one. Stainless would be nice but I'm not sure it'd fit in the fridge. Could always use a 30 litre olive oil drum I suppose. 

@Aussiekraut Agreed, it's pretty ordinary to get to. The Milton one is probably easier for public transport being right near Milton railway station, although parking is similarly crappy. There are trains running after midnight but I think it's just one or two on each line from about 3:30am. White lies is just down the road from me, still have to go check it out. 

Oh there are night busses but they run really early in the morning and they terminate at Sunnybank Hills I've been told. It's a problem if you wanna go to Browns Plains, another 5 km down the road. They tell you to use public transport but then they leave you standing in the rain when you do. There is always an Uber ride in the mix somewhere. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Flanders Red. A little over carbonated. It was very lively out of the bottle.

2AA67E4A-AAFF-42B6-9910-E39D3942EF59.thumb.jpeg.46f84f8c71043e5d29182f274ee47037.jpeg

Is this a red wheat beer? Flanders is definitely Belgian and most of their beers are wheats, so me is coming to conclusions. Met up with a friend in a pub in Liege earlier this year, which had a poop load of beers on tap and in bottles. It was kinda heaven 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1