Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, BlackSands said:

Redback Pale Ale - This is a kit/extract beer, which I don't do too often, named 'redback' because I've used Gladfield redback malt as a sub for the usual crystal.   It's a mix of a Coopers OS lager and a 1.7kg can of wheat malt (equates to 25% wheat all up), plus the steeped redback malt of course.  Equal doses of Motueka and Wakatu hops.   Another reminder of how good a kit/extract beer can be.  Will probably brew again as a partial-mash though, sub'ing in Gladfield ale malt and wheat malt for the wheat LME.  

The Coops wheat malt does lend itself to a cream brew though don't yer reckon BS?

I guess wheat malt is even better... agree there ; )

4 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Thanks - it should have been obvious, the CC is aiming somewhere in between Fat Yak and LC, they said it was two well known Aus pales ales.

This is the sort of beer I was hoping for, but Coopers have missed the mark by a long way if that's what they were after. It's nothing like a hybrid of both beers - it's more of a basic hopped amber ale. Not a fan of amber ales as a style, but love amber in my bitters.

Did you ever do a version without the Amber? I'd like to try for a beer that Coopers were  going for, would that just be two tins of light and same the hop schedule?

I didn't like Amber malt a lot, so any recipes that I found that used it, I always subbed it for a can of light malt or dry malt. I always enjoyed the outcome. Brew to your tastes, you have tried the base recipe now pimp it out to what you have in mind.

Good luck

Norris

• Like 1

On 10/15/2019 at 5:36 PM, Bearded Burbler said:

GSP....  GALAXY Smash Pils… AG with Pils Malt and some Wheat... Rainwater and W34/70... in Bottles... Kelsey's recommended Pils cool Temp Protocol...

Galaxy as first, final and foremost ... Crisp and tasty:

image.png.1f1d3242eb7f5b9c45d2437f1bc278b6.png

Hey BB, did you put a marshmallow in it? 🤔

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

Day 10 taster of the Chubby Cherub. Can't see this being a second time brew for me. And the Coopers description is a bit all over the map.

First, Coopers recipe pic shows a light golden beer, much like Little Creatures, one of the styles it's based on. My beer, brewed to their recipe is a medium copper more like any of my winter ales (LC on the left, CC on the right).

The taste is closer to Coopers description - stone fruit and marmalade, nothing remotely like LC, which, having just bought one, is subtly hoppy and floral. However, both LC and the CC use the same hops - Cascade and Chinook. Don't know what other beer they based this on, but it must taste more like that one.

Lab Rat, compare apples with apples.

I first brewed & bottled this DIY recipe back in November 2013. That means it was added into the DIY database sometime before then. At that time it was a very true representation of a mix of the notable commercial beers it is based on.

Commercial breweries continue to develop & change their beers to suit changes in drinking trends etc. As an example of this, each year Coopers change the recipe for their wonderful Vintage Ale, so if you home brewed their 2013 version & tasted it against the current 2019 version, it will obviously taste different. The commercial breweries this DIY recipe is based on back in 2013 have obviously evolved & changed aspects of that beer since that time 6 years ago. The LCPA & supposed Fat Yak (I think? 🤔) variant the 2013 DIY recipe is based on, is spot on for what those beers were at the time.

It is not the responsibility of Coopers DIY to constantly monitor & re-adjust their DIY recipes based on the changes made by the commercial breweries many of these recipes are based on when these DIY recipes were first published.

I just finished a keg of this DIY recipe, & personal tastes aside, it is still a wonderful beer to drink & very representative of the American style.

I feel your comments are very harsh on Coopers & the DIY team, based on what you perceive the DIY recipe is based on, & the time it was derived.

If you wish to brew an exact representation of the current commercial beer in question perhaps approach the commercial brewery & ask them for a home brew recipe for it, & we'll see how forthcoming they are. Also while you're on the phone, ask them if the current recipe is the same recipe as they were brewing in 2013. I'll hinge my bets it isn't.

Lusty.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Lab Rat, compare apples with apples.

I first brewed & bottled this DIY recipe back in November 2013. That means it was added into the DIY database sometime before then. At that time it was a very true representation of a mix of the notable commercial beers it is based on. 

I always imagine you with a smug grin, the way you write stuff in your attempts to put people down...

This isn't the Vintage ale, though is it? It's supposed to be a beer somewhere between FY and LC. It's nowhere near anything of the sort - it isn't even a pale ale in the US west coast style. I had a Sierra last night as well as a comparison.

That's a simple recipe fail no matter when they developed it IMO. Even the picture doesn't represent the beer accurately, which leads you to expect a pale.

Yes, LC tastes different to how I remember it when it was a new thing - it's less hoppy and more floral than I recall. I can't comment on FY as I haven't drunk it enough. I wasn't expecting a hybrid clone of both, but a certain style - and got something completely different. It's an Amber ale with hops.

Edited by Lab Rat

3 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

This isn't the Vintage ale, though is it? It's supposed to be a beer somewhere between FY and LC. It's nowhere near anything of the sort - it isn't even a pale ale in the US west coast style. I ahd a Seirra last night as well, and it's not in that style bal park either.

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is 70's style (IMHO) but was developed late 60's & lingered on because no-one else at the time thought the style had enough merit to invest in. Current trends suggest it was worth investing in. You're basing your view on a very limited knowledge of American styled Pale Ales (IMHO), & I don't mean that in an offensive way. I personally work in the liquor industry & have a very good knowledge of commercial beer, spirits, wine, & all other areas of liquor, & am constantly in contact with new style trends & shifts.

13 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

...It's supposed to be a beer somewhere between FY and LC. It's nowhere near anything of the sort - it isn't even a pale ale in the US west coast style.

This DIY recipe isn't based on some 'pussie' light coloured BS Pale Ale. It's based on the North West coast styles where it is @#$%ing cold in the Autumn/Winter months & where these particular hop strains are actually grown seasonally. Your current view of what a traditional West Coast American Pale Ale is, is warped against what this DIY recipe is based on which is the American North-West. Take the time to look into where these hop farms are in the North-West of America & you'll start to get a better idea of how the American style evolved in the first place & why they carry more body & sweetness than this misconceived & misguided view that has evolved in recent times of what an American Pale is & should be viewed & brewed as today.

24 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

...That's a simple recipe fail no matter when they developed it IMO. Even the picture doesn't represent the beer accurately, which leads you to expect a pale.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. It just happens to be wrong in this instance.

26 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

I always imagine you with a smug grin, the way you write stuff in your attempts to put people down...

I've had this sort of response many times over the years. It took me a while to get used to it actually as I have never meant any personal offence to anyone that has responded to me in this way from something I've said or suggested.

There are people on the forum that will massage & kiss your @#r& along the way all the time. I'm not one of them. I'd rather tell you a few home truths & help get you to where you really want to be faster. I achieve that without the pleases & thank you's others would receive by dragging that process out. Reading your eventual success about that is what gives me the "grin" on my face.

If there is a particular beer you wish to emulate, I will go out of my way to offer advice so that you create something as close as you can to that in a home brewing environment.

Ultimately your own experiences get you to the levels & tastes you are looking for. Any advice I offer, is just aimed at saving you some time getting there.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

In other words Lusty likes the recipe, a lot and hopes you will appreciate it for what it is. Is that massaging? Maybe, but we all have a personal preference. I actually never liked it due to the Amber malt so I have never brewed it like that or exactly to recipe, but took what I thought was good, for my tastes.

I do get the Little creature and Fat yak thing from the recipe due to the use of Chinook. I wonder if LC grows their own, as they use it a lot, anyways back on topic. Let's stay civil and give/take constructive criticism.  We all want to brew beers and make them better. Sometimes we will disagree. That is cool, just keep it cool and constructive.

I think you made a fair assessment of the recipe based off of your tastes, @Lab Rat

and I enjoy hearing your views, recipes and brews.

Lusty, I always like hearing what you have to say also, even when I think you could of said it differently.

Good brewing

Norris

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

There are people on the forum that will massage & kiss your @#r& along the way all the time. I'm not one of them. I'd rather tell you a few home truths & help get you to where you really want to be faster. I achieve that without the pleases & thank you's others would receive by dragging that process out. Reading your eventual success about that is what gives me the "grin" on my face.

I've not come across any such people here, every regular here just helps without judging or smartarsing. How does that help people achieve goals?

Being a diehard Cooper apologist, they can do no wrong in your eyes. I like Coopers a lot too. I'm glad they're still around and providing this resource and their recipes. In this case, they're way off the mark and I offer my experience for those who might be considering that recipe. It's simply not anywhere near as advertised.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

...Being a diehard Cooper apologist, they can do no wrong in your eyes. I like Coopers a lot too. I'm glad they're still around and providing this resource and their recipes. In this case, they're way off the mark and I offer my experience for those who might be considering that recipe. It's simply not anywhere near as advertised.

I don't know how you interpret the English language, but I don't see any positive comments on your part in this discussion, so stop bullshitting along like you are. You're nothing but critical of the recipe & any advice offered around it. As stated in my previous retort to you, the DIY recipe is now 6 years old!! If you want a modern representation of that beer, go seek it out!

42 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

I've not come across any such people here, every regular here just helps without judging or smartarsing. How does that help people achieve goals?

The reason you're still struggling in the areas you are is due to the constant arse-kissing you're receiving & holding on to mis-guided views of how to brew the beers you wish to brew. You'll receive no such ass-kissing from me.

I've never asked anyone to like me on this forum, but much of the advice I offer comes from practical experiences worked off of very well researched & read qualified source material. Much of which I provide direct links to where possible.

Sorry "post-millennial" to confront you with the views of a real person.

Lusty.

11 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I personally work in the liquor industry & have a very good knowledge of commercial beer, spirits, wine, & all other areas of liquor, & am constantly in contact with new style trends & shifts.

Lusty.

Intrigued Lusty,

So what do you do in the liquor industry, duration & who do you work for?

Cheers YB

16 minutes ago, YeastyBoy said:

Intrigued Lusty,

So what do you do in the liquor industry, duration & who do you work for?

Cheers YB

I prefer not to discuss specific details about my personal life on an open forum, but I have worked in the liquor for the past 20 years. I have worked for both the national chains & 4 large independent liquor groups in that time. I am currently a bottleshop manager with one of the larger independent liquor groups here in SA.

Cheers,

Lusty.

16 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

The Coops wheat malt does lend itself to a cream brew though don't yer reckon BS?

I guess wheat malt is even better... agree there ; )

Depends what you mean by "cream brew"?  If you're talking about a 'creamy' mouthfeel then yeah, possibly though that wasn't the intent.  I was just after a slight wheat character and any supposed benefits wheat has to offer with regard to head performance.   If you mean Cream Ale, a common adjunct found in those beers is actually flaked maize (corn) or even rice sometimes.   

The main reason I actually prefer to brew this as a partial, and I have actually brewed something similar in the past as such, is I can better control the amount of wheat.  At 25% via the 1.7kg can it's actually a lot more wheat than the original recipe called for (12%).  I wasn't really interested in trying to split the wheat LME can so thought I try the full amount.   It's certainly a nice enough beer and disappearing fast as a consequence,  but I think the wheat presence is perhaps a little too much.  Also, this one has a slight haze also, presumably thanks to the extra wheat.  🤓 

• Thanks 1

No Lab Rat Ive never done without the Amber tin. I brewed the exact recipe in 2014 and it was a pretty good beer. The recent version I brewed may have been a bit darker and sweeter as the Amber tin was older and only had a few months till the expiry date. Fresh ingredients always make better beer. Guess that's why I transitioned to all grain. Can still make great beer doing partials and extracts though. Sometimes for a quick brew day I do the odd partial/extract recipe.

Two light malt tins plus a little medium crystal would be work a try.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

I prefer not to discuss specific details about my personal life on an open forum, but I have worked in the liquor for the past 20 years. I have worked for both the national chains & 4 large independent liquor groups in that time. I am currently a bottleshop manager with one of the larger independent liquor groups here in SA.

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty,

Retail end of the Industry. One role I would certainly fail at, trying to convince punters they should give up megaswill for real Beer!!

Do the Brewery Reps provide much insight into Brews, Trends, Product Direction?

Use to deal with the two Breweries & Malt Producer here in Tassie for a decade until recently. Found that most interesting and gave me a broad insight into commercial breweries. Like one place I would never want to work is on the brewery bottling line!!

Cheers YB

Edited by YeastyBoy

19 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Hey BB, did you put a marshmallow in it? 🤔

Was classic... I pour the bottle in one go so as to remove from 2ndary ferment yeast on bottom... into two glasses.  Drink one. Pop the other in 2 degree fridge.

That glass had nice creamy head (wheat/AG head retention) and then did a reverse Mururoa implosion leaving that festy Marshmellow like object in the middle - yeeeehaaa!  😋

Nasty business that Mururoa stuff... nuke testing years ago... no good.

image.png.265b55967be7022a3af079df600593d2.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Depends what you mean by "cream brew"?  If you're talking about a 'creamy' mouthfeel then yeah, possibly though that wasn't the intent.  I was just after a slight wheat character and any supposed benefits wheat has to offer with regard to head performance.   If you mean Cream Ale, a common adjunct found in those beers is actually flaked maize (corn) or even rice sometimes.   

The main reason I actually prefer to brew this as a partial, and I have actually brewed something similar in the past as such, is I can better control the amount of wheat.  At 25% via the 1.7kg can it's actually a lot more wheat than the original recipe called for (12%).  I wasn't really interested in trying to split the wheat LME can so thought I try the full amount.   It's certainly a nice enough beer and disappearing fast as a consequence,  but I think the wheat presence is perhaps a little too much.  Also, this one has a slight haze also, presumably thanks to the extra wheat.  🤓 

All good BS.  Yes mate am a chronic wheat user for the creamy mouthfeel and heat retention...  that shoulda been creamY but my altered state did not help my typing - apologies 😜

Anyway... it all sounds pretty tasty... and yeah if too much wheatie power... next time drop it back a bit... the beauty of brewing hey mate ?   ; )

Mmmm…. I might actually put some Hefeweizen in the fridge for tonight!!!

• Like 1